PDA

View Full Version : A Missing Piece

Desmond
14-01-2008, 09:10 PM
I recently played a blitz game against a certain individual. As is often the nature of blitz, pieces get knocked over in the scramble to make a move quickly, and they get set back up by the offender. Anyway, after the position simplified, I realised that I was down a minor piece. I sat there for maybe 20-30 seconds trying to think how I lost the piece, but i could not. I played on and lost. Later on, I reconstructed the game as best I could and could still not find any time when I lost a piece. So I suspect that one might have pinched right off the board from under my nose. Did I have any recourse? As arbiter, could such a claim ever be upheld?

Basil
14-01-2008, 10:22 PM
... against a certain individual
Yes? ...

Kevin Bonham
14-01-2008, 10:37 PM
So I suspect that one might have pinched right off the board from under my nose. Did I have any recourse? As arbiter, could such a claim ever be upheld?

Once the game is over you have no recourse except that informing the arbiter of your suspicions may be relevant should a similar incident occur again.

During the game the question is how the arbiter is to be convinced that a piece was pinched. If there is no witness it is very hard for the arbiter to do this.

It is within the arbiter's powers to stop the game while an attempt to reconstruct it is made, but I am not sure how many arbiters would do so, given that such a reconstruction would probably take several minutes.

Ian Rout
15-01-2008, 07:30 AM
Is there are any reason to believe that the piece did not simply roll under a curtain or down the side of a chair or similar? Unless the certain individual has a track record I would have thought this to be more likely; alternatively when the pieces were disarranged one ended up on the side of the board with the captured pieces and neither player realised it should have been replaced.

On the other hand if the player does have a record then the obvious approaches should be taken; watch very carefully and ask the arbiter to look over the game as much as possible. Or bring along a friend with a video camera.