PDA

View Full Version : FireFox 0.9

skip to my lou
19-06-2004, 11:57 AM
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/header.png

A new FireFox release from Mozilla. This new release 0.9 is even faster than 0.8! I didn't think you could improve on the speed 0.8 renders the page. Now 0.9 is even faster! So fast, you can just feel the improvement in speed. Also a new GUI and several new components released with 0.9.

Extension Manager
Theme Manager
Data Migration/Import
New Visual Theme
Better Bookmarks
Better Search
Smaller Download
Online Help

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Download 0.9 Now (http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/download.html?http%3A//ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/0.9/FirefoxSetup-0.9.exe)

Gandalf
20-06-2004, 12:26 AM
No we have not received any money from Mozilla (though we wouldn't mind some!) we just love their work. It's excellent, especially over fast connections where Internet Explorer holds back your potential speed.

skip to my lou
20-06-2004, 12:32 AM
Already developers have stopped using IE. I can't wait till everyone stops. Then we will have a world full of intelligent people. (Not likely)

Gandalf
20-06-2004, 12:40 AM
Don't say that, some will think you're calling IE users stupid. They're not all stupid, some just haven't experienced better. :)

skip to my lou
20-06-2004, 01:13 AM
Hmm, IE users eh...

I should go dig out that bookmark, where the CD rom opens itself... only works in IE

The people aren't stupid,... but definitely the IE browser is.

LoL, I was searching through BoS:

http://www.haha168.com/pages/017/cupholder.jpg

All internet explorer users click that.

Tip: If you have a door on your comp case like me, open the door first. After realising IE sucks, proceed to click the download link in the first post.

The image “http://www.haha168.com/pages/017/cupholder.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

It has been doing that since 0.6. No suprises. Its more stable and secure than IE, and it hasn't even reached version 1.0 yet. Shame on microsoft.

skip to my lou
20-06-2004, 01:20 AM
My version of IE is as follows:

http://chesschat.org/ieversion.gif

In this version IE6(SP1) it still opens the cd tray... tsk tsk.

Bill Gletsos
20-06-2004, 03:56 PM
Interestingly I have the same version of IE as you but with a significantly greater number of Q fixes.
Mine does not open the CD tray.

skip to my lou
28-06-2004, 05:39 AM
Yes, there is a patch to fix it. But my windows is XP professional, when I installed XP, I go to the MS site and install everything it tells me to, and it is not included in that list.

Anyway IE allows active-x controls which are useless and mainly used to be harmful.

skip to my lou
29-06-2004, 11:54 PM
FireFox 0.9.1 released.

ToRnaDo
30-06-2004, 01:31 AM
FireFox is great!!! The reason i still keep IE because its for internet banking :-) lol

skip to my lou
30-06-2004, 01:36 AM
You can allow certain sites to give popup, so just unblock your bank site in FireFox and you can bank online with firefox too. Banking with IE is stupid, because if you have any activex controls installed, people can get your banking password, and if they have your banking password...... then big trouble.... not worth it.

arosar
30-06-2004, 11:46 AM
Any thoughts on Mozilla 1.7?

Any Opera users out there or am I the only 1? One think I like about Opera is that the URLs within the tabs are retained when I shut down. This does not appear to be the case with Firefox.

AR

pax
30-06-2004, 12:07 PM
Is the browser component of Mozilla different from Firefox? Some of the features seem different, but do they use the same rendering engine?

arosar
30-06-2004, 04:01 PM
Check out www.kristywilson.com in both IE and Firefox. See the difference.

Any1 else know any other xhtml-based sites?

AR

skip to my lou
30-06-2004, 04:02 PM
Is the browser component of Mozilla different from Firefox? Some of the features seem different, but do they use the same rendering engine?
Yes, they do. Firefox is more advanced than the regular mozilla though.

skip to my lou
30-06-2004, 04:05 PM
Check out www.kristywilson.com in both IE and Firefox. See the difference.

Any1 else know any other xhtml-based sites?

AR

This one! http://www.anime-shigatsu.com/images/smilie/yeahrite.gif

skip to my lou
30-06-2004, 04:14 PM
Any thoughts on Mozilla 1.7?

Any Opera users out there or am I the only 1? One think I like about Opera is that the URLs within the tabs are retained when I shut down. This does not appear to be the case with Firefox.

AR

Mozilla 1.7 is great, but not as good as FireFox.

I did use Opera about a year back, but its rendering engine is completely different to IE so alot of sites appeared weird. No problem with firefox yet. I am sure you could do something like that with Tabbrowser extensions Shimoda Hiroshi.

You know just then, I missed out the S when I was highlighting his name, just pressed shift and hit left and there you go. These little things may not seem like much, but when you all pack it together, its really great.

AR, I will post an attachment for you showing where to change the option

Firstly, load firefox and install this: (just click it once in firefox)

http://white.sakura.ne.jp/~piro/xul/xpi/tabextensions_en.xpi

Then find this option in the settings: (image attached)

skip to my lou
30-06-2004, 04:17 PM
Basically, with extensions, you can do anything in FireFox. I can even chat in IRC or:

http://texturizer.net/firefox/extensions/#bbcode

Just found this, im going to install it and take a look.

I updated the post above with the correct URL for the tabbrowser extensions XPI install link.

skip to my lou
30-06-2004, 04:32 PM
Oh yeah, forgot to mention the JavaScript console. That is a great component for coders and viewers. The other night I got Garvin to use the JS console and that is how I figured out what the problem was with the PGN Uploader :D

Rincewind
30-06-2004, 04:34 PM
Oh yeah, forgot to mention the JavaScript console. That is a great component for coders and viewers. The other night I got Garvin to use the JS console and that is how I figured out what the problem was with the PGN Uploader :D

Thanks for the tip. Maybe I can use to see what is wrong with Garvin looking up ratings on my Rating Change Estimator page. This Gray character sure does cause some work. :)

Garvinator
30-06-2004, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the tip. Maybe I can use to see what is wrong with Garvin looking up ratings on my Rating Change Estimator page. This Gray character sure does cause some work. :)
bite me :P i think the problem might lie with my pop up stopper more than anything else. I can only use the calc using internet explorer, both firefox and netscape both just open a new glicko calc page, not a list of possible names like on ie :eek:

skip to my lou
30-06-2004, 05:01 PM
You can disable the popup stopper for particular domains / sites. Though I doubt this is the problem. Btw Im checking out the site now. Barry are you aware that your site appears totally different without the WWW in the domain?

Rincewind
30-06-2004, 05:02 PM
You can disable the popup stopper for particular domains / sites. Though I doubt this is the problem.

There you go, Garvin. Try adding bjcox.com to your exclusion list.

skip to my lou
30-06-2004, 05:06 PM
That's not the problem though, the problem is the URL string in your JavaScript is HTML escaped:

modules.php?name=Glicko_Calc&file=name_lookup& amp;player="+thename+"&var="+vname

FireFox loads this URL exactly while IE converts the & to &

You do not need to escape it, just change all the & to &

I'm going to bed now. Again, I didn't get any sleep last night. Becoming a habit :doh:

Garvinator
30-06-2004, 05:12 PM
There you go, Garvin. Try adding bjcox.com to your exclusion list.
i just did that but it didnt solve the problem using firefox. i got the same problem, just seen Jeo solution but dont really understand it, what am i to do?

skip to my lou
30-06-2004, 05:13 PM
Wait till Barry reads my message and he will fix his website code up.

Barry, this is completely not related to Garvin's problem, but I took a quick look at your code and just saw you repeating code for each form element.

You can just put an eval command inside a loop, and it will do all that for you, and the user also has to download less data.

javascript eval

Just added Google BBCODE ^_^

GN

Rincewind
30-06-2004, 09:56 PM
Wait till Barry reads my message and he will fix his website code up.

Barry, this is completely not related to Garvin's problem, but I took a quick look at your code and just saw you repeating code for each form element.

You can just put an eval command inside a loop, and it will do all that for you, and the user also has to download less data.

javascript eval

Just added Google BBCODE ^_^

Thanks for the tip Jeo but I build my source code within a loop inside PHP so there isn't much incentive o my part to change. The code size downloaded is larger but it's not significant in todays world. So the motivation is not there at the moment.

Thanks for the & pointer it was right on the money. This has now been corrected and the page should now be working for your ggrayggray. Incidentally there was another bug with the use of the form by name in the javascript source which I fixed by passing the form as a parameter to the calculate_new function. IE must have also forgiven this sin.

Anyway, it's been lightly tested with Firefox 0.9.1, Mozilla 1.0.0 and IE 6. Let me know if there are any problems.

As an aside I made Firefox my default browser for now. It's cute and I like using GPL software as a substitute for commercial software, particularly MS software where possible.

skip to my lou
01-07-2004, 04:24 AM
Thanks for the tip Jeo but I build my source code within a loop inside PHP so there isn't much incentive o my part to change. The code size downloaded is larger but it's not significant in todays world. So the motivation is not there at the moment.

Yeah, I tend to do that with PHP too. The problem is I run into many people on Win95 and Dialup that say it takes ages to load the page, so I have to cut code where possible =\

Barry are you aware that your site does not load the PHP nuke site when you do not add the www to the domain. i.e http://bjcox.com/

Rincewind
01-07-2004, 09:27 AM
Yeah, I tend to do that with PHP too. The problem is I run into many people on Win95 and Dialup that say it takes ages to load the page, so I have to cut code where possible =\

Barry are you aware that your site does not load the PHP nuke site when you do not add the www to the domain. i.e http://bjcox.com/

Yes.

arosar
02-07-2004, 11:21 AM
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/07/01/1088488080022.html?from=top5&oneclick=true

AR

skip to my lou
18-10-2004, 01:54 AM
I'm getting a silent fail while installing firefox 1 on FC2, anyone experiencing this?

Rincewind
18-10-2004, 09:06 AM
I'm getting a silent fail while installing firefox 1 on FC2, anyone experiencing this?

I've installed 1.0 on XP. What's FC2?

skip to my lou
18-10-2004, 11:28 AM
Fedora Core 2

Recherché
18-10-2004, 11:36 AM
Fedora Core 2

And how many people here do you think are using that? ;)

Might be better off asking on the Firefox and/or FC2 forums. (though you likely have already, I suppose :))

skip to my lou
18-10-2004, 01:31 PM
I've searched, and there are a few people asking the same question, but no helpful response. Not sure if this is a core 2 problem, i've installed it on RH9 with no problem.

Recherché
18-10-2004, 01:34 PM
^ Is it worth just cooking up your own Firefox from a nightly build?

skip to my lou
18-10-2004, 01:51 PM
Doesn't work either, when I run firefox from tarball or build it silently exits too, no error messages :hmm:

Recherché
18-10-2004, 01:54 PM
But 0.9.1 worked fine? If I were you I'd make a detailed report of your problem on the Firefox forum, they'll probably have it fixed in a day or two (assuming it's a problem they can influence, and not an unavoidable FC2 bug).

skip to my lou
18-10-2004, 02:01 PM
I think it's an FC2 bug. It's not that serious of a problem, I can ctrl-alt to use firefox on windows. Even mozilla seems to have some sort of bug, whenever you load any page all the links are green for some reason. Going to load FreeBSD later today, never tried it before.

skip to my lou
18-10-2004, 02:03 PM
I might actually go with CentOS for a redhat distro, it's basically unsupported RHE3.

Recherché
18-10-2004, 02:09 PM
Even mozilla seems to have some sort of bug, whenever you load any page all the links are green for some reason.

I assume you checked your user style sheet? (it's !important ;))

skip to my lou
18-10-2004, 02:12 PM
though, when I scroll down and back up all the links are normal.

Recherché
18-10-2004, 02:24 PM
though, when I scroll down and back up all the links are normal.

Odd. What did you mean by "green"? Is it like the search-highlight? I've noticed Firefox has long had a bug with pseudo-highlighting in text input boxes (like the one I'm typing in right now), maybe it's something related?

skip to my lou
18-10-2004, 02:26 PM
Nope, it's not a highlight, the link colour itself is green, and this is in normal Mozilla not firefox.

arosar
09-11-2004, 08:18 AM
Who wants to go to a 'F**K IE Firefox Party in Sydney?

AR

skip to my lou
14-12-2004, 01:52 PM
In firefox, type in the address bar, "about:config", in the find box, type "pipe" and hit enter. The first config, right click and select toggle. The second config, right click, modify and set to 100. Third one toggle.

Firefox should now load just as fast or faster than IE.

arosar
07-03-2005, 07:56 PM
Any1 else trying out Thunderbird email? I want to hear your views on it.

AR

skip to my lou
07-03-2005, 10:38 PM
Any1 else trying out Thunderbird email? I want to hear your views on it.

AR

I used thunderbird for ages, it's quite good, never had a prob with it.

pax
08-03-2005, 12:13 PM
Likewise. I'm now using it since they have enabled mailbox transfer from Mozilla mail (why this wasn't there from the start is unfathomable). I quite like it, but I'd really like to see gmail style tagged mail (instead of folders) in a desktop mail app.

Alan Shore
09-03-2005, 02:38 PM
Finally got Firefox.. it is pretty good once I made the user.js adjustments to make the pages load faster.

Alan Shore
09-03-2005, 03:16 PM
Actually I have a question.. is there a way to set the option so when I go Ctrl+N for a new page it comes up with a duplicate of the page I was on and not a new window with my home page isntead?

Alan Shore
29-06-2005, 11:47 AM
Actually I have a question.. is there a way to set the option so when I go Ctrl+N for a new page it comes up with a duplicate of the page I was on and not a new window with my home page instead?

I still never figured out how to do that..

Anyway, a nice wallpaper for you:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/Poiso/Firefox.jpg

Aaron Bellette
29-06-2005, 02:42 PM
I've been using both Firefox and Thunderbird for ages now and, as such, the only time I ever (have to) use IE is at work. I can't understand why tabbed browsing has never caught on with IE, although I understand it may be incorporated into the new IE release.

AB

Trent Parker
21-07-2005, 11:47 AM
Only Just downloaded Firefox...... Seems excellent!

Rincewind
10-12-2009, 08:28 PM
Thunderbird v3.0 released. If anyone uses Lightning as well be aware you need to get a non-released nightly build to get that to work. Apart from that, seems excellent.