PDA

View Full Version : Deep Shredder 11 for Mac

sleepless
15-12-2007, 11:53 PM
I've had Deep Shredder 11 for Mac for a few days and would recommend that Mac users avoid it.

I was really disappointed with the lack of detail in the Mac pdf manual and found Shredder for Mac to be a stripped down port of the PC one.

mikebore
06-01-2008, 08:23 PM
I've had Deep Shredder 11 for Mac for a few days and would recommend that Mac users avoid it.

I was really disappointed with the lack of detail in the Mac pdf manual and found Shredder for Mac to be a stripped down port of the PC one.

Hi Sleepless (or anyone),

Is this still your opinion six weeks on. I was about to buy Deep Shredder 11 for Mac when I found your post.

My main use is analysis of games I have played, and definitely need multi variations, would like a separate variations board, and evaluation profile (last two like Fritz).

I am not bothered about board styles and bells and whistles, basic 2D board with no sound is fine.

Any more comment on the use of Deep Shredder 11 for Mac would be welcome.

Thanks

Mike

Idyllwild Jack
13-01-2008, 04:04 AM
. . . but it's expensive enough to want to check it out first. Is there a demo available for this?

Mikebore, have you checked out Sigma-Hiarcs 11.2 MP for Mac. It supposedly runs at a 2900 Elo on my 2.2 GHz MacBook.

sleepless
13-01-2008, 04:17 PM
It has a very strong engine with a good sense for positional lines and I use the analysis function when entering a game. It's clunky - not intuitive, and it's basically so un-Mac like that it's a pain to use, although it does its job.
It sound like Sigma-Hiarcs 11.2 MP might be worth a look.

bgriffenchop
07-02-2008, 04:46 PM
. . . but it's expensive enough to want to check it out first. Is there a demo available for this?

Mikebore, have you checked out Sigma-Hiarcs 11.2 MP for Mac. It supposedly runs at a 2900 Elo on my 2.2 GHz MacBook.

Are you sure its 2900 - I just played (my first game) a 3 + 5s game and drew it with surprising ease. I'm on a 2.2Ghz Macbook too!

It had 8 seconds on its clock. I had 2 minutes! I don't think it's 2900 though. I'm white.

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 a6 6.Be3 e6 7.f3 b5 8.Qd2 b4 9.Na4 Nbd7 10.O-O-O Qa5 11.b3 Bb7 12.g4 h6 13.a3 d5 14.exd5 Nxd5 15.Bc4 Nxe3 16.Qxe3 Qe5 17.Qd2 bxa3 18.Rhe1 a2 19.Kb2 Qd6 20.Kxa2 O-O-O 21.Bxe6 fxe6 22.Qc3+ Kb8 23.Rxe6 Qa3+ 24.Kb1 Bb4 25.Nc6+ Bxc6 26.Qxc6 Nc5 27.Red6 Rxd6 28.Qxd6+ Kb7 29.Qb6+ Ka8 30.Qc6+ Kb8 31.Qb6+ Ka8 32.Qc6+

Kamalakanta
15-10-2008, 01:30 PM
Hi! I have had Deep Shredder 11 for one year now. I would say it is definitely worth the money. It is a very good program with great positional sense. My FIDE rating is 2185, and Deep Shredder beats me 99% of the time.

I use the program right now just to keep my senses sharp. I play blitz games, and it beats me soundly.

About four times since I bought it, the program froze.

It happens like this: I play an unusual move order (to avoid its massive library) and then, after one of my moves, the program will think...and think...and think...and lose on time!

I believe there is some kind of bug in the program.

Other than this, which happens very infrequently, I highly recommend it. It is a very good training tool.

Kamalakanta

Adamski
10-01-2009, 06:22 PM
Hi, I am new here. I view all posts. Good disscussion here.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Your Online Classic and Boutique from Guangzhou, Welcome to jewelry Fantasy, Welcome to China Jewelry Factory, Fashion can be high qualityHi. We welcome you but your posts are getting a bit repettitive. No need to post that you have viewed a discussion. Just post a contribution to it.

Basil
10-01-2009, 06:49 PM
It's just standard bot-speak, Jon. Just a little patter that the human behind the bot writes to intimate that the bot has actually read anything at all when of course it haven't.

Davidflude
17-01-2009, 12:04 PM
Hi! I have had Deep Shredder 11 for one year now. I would say it is definitely worth the money. It is a very good program with great positional sense. My FIDE rating is 2185, and Deep Shredder beats me 99% of the time.

I use the program right now just to keep my senses sharp. I play blitz games, and it beats me soundly.

About four times since I bought it, the program froze.

It happens like this: I play an unusual move order (to avoid its massive library) and then, after one of my moves, the program will think...and think...and think...and lose on time!

I believe there is some kind of bug in the program.

Other than this, which happens very infrequently, I highly recommend it. It is a very good training tool.

Kamalakanta

I have run deep Shredder 10 on Windows. Deep Shredder is very processor intensive. Be carefull on the size of your hash tables. I had the total freeze of horror from time to time on windows which turned out to be that my power supply had insufficient redundancy. So make sure that as few other programs are running at the same time as deep shredder as possible. Incidentally Deep Shredder 10 is very very good. On my testing on Windows it is only a little weaker and slower than Rybka 3.