PDA

View Full Version : Australia's Best Games of Chess

JGB
18-06-2004, 07:55 PM
I was wondering if there is anywhere online where I can download examples from classic games in Australian Chess. Games played at the higher levels and played by Australians. I thought it might be interesting if someone knew of a pgn etc which contains beautiful games played by Australian players. They can even be trappy and short, as long as they are not full of blunders I would love to hear from information if anyone knows of such games collections online.

Garvinator
18-06-2004, 09:28 PM
I was wondering if there is anywhere online where I can download examples from classic games in Australian Chess. Games played at the higher levels and played by Australians. I thought it might be interesting if someone knew of a pgn etc which contains beautiful games played by Australian players. They can even be trappy and short, as long as they are not full of blunders I would love to hear from information if anyone knows of such games collections online.
here is the link to get the pgns for the 2004 australian championships:
http://www.unichess.org/championships.htm

JGB
18-06-2004, 09:34 PM
thanks, but those Ive already seen and there are many good games as well. But what I was wondering, is there a list of more 'famous' Australian games, not just single tournament, player or year etc.

... if not maybe I should compile one?! :hmm:

Rhubarb
18-06-2004, 09:46 PM
Paul Dunn's Ozbase may be the best bet for downloading games online, but you'd have have to decide for yourself which games are classics:
http://www.auschess.org.au/archives/archives.htm

Roger Cook here in Sydney spent several years compiling his Chess Dossier database - games from any top Australian tournament he could get his hands on - in the pre-Internet age. In 2004, he's still not online (which I needle him about every time I see him) but I can ask him what the latest Chess Dos situation is when I see him next Thursday.

JGB
19-06-2004, 02:10 AM
Paul Dunn's Ozbase may be the best bet for downloading games online, but you'd have have to decide for yourself which games are classics:
http://www.auschess.org.au/archives/archives.htm

thanks Greg. Yeah Paul Dunn has sure put a heap of work into Ozbase and its probably just a bit too much for me to go through it all ;) . Im going to keep looking around and see what I come up with. I have actually thought about building a compilation of great games played by Australian players. Maybe 100 classic Australian games etc. Of course it will include many games played by an Australian against an overseas opponent (actually its probably better when it is :) ) .

JGB
07-07-2004, 10:18 PM
Yeah im missing not being here as much as of late?! :( but i've been working on my Aussie chess database.

Oh anyway i've decided to start working on this list of great games. That's why I need a big datadase. It's sure going to take a while I think (I know). So far I've built a database of just Australian games of chess. Its about 20,000 games at the moment which I am currently increasing all the time.

Here is where I would love some help from the people here at Chess chat;

* If you have a link to any file containing games from an Australian tournament which is not on the list mentioned earlier on this topic then please post it.

* If you have a list of a players (Australian) best games. It can be just a list of where the game was played or when, I can probably find out the rest.

*Id like to hear from what some of you guys believe to be the best game you have seen played in Australian chess. Your own best games also!

Of course this will be a list of only tournament games played in tournament condition at long time controls (internet games etc are not included).

By the way you can always PM a message if you dont want the whole forum to know about something you would like to communicate to me (for instance someone voting for their own best game game in the Best List')

If all this works out I may just publish a book with extra analysis from a few Gm mates here who have no bias towards Aussie chess and have been recently asking me about the chance to publish chess book in english. I like the idea of a book featuring, say '100 Brilliant games in Australian chess' or something like that.

I have a much better chance in being able to put together these games before I come back to Australia. Once Im back and find out the players I like and don't like, personally (its just a fact of life) then it will be harder to make an unbiased choice.

Ill have to see how this all work out.

Thanks for your help, and don't be afraid to put forward your own games, ;)
talk soon,

arosar
08-07-2004, 09:12 AM
I have coded some games from the old Chess Worlds. I will post here....

AR

paulb
08-07-2004, 12:27 PM
I've tried - several times - to get players to nominate "great games" for a great games collection, with virtually zero response. I'd be *very* interested in any such collection for the ACF website. (In relation to Ozbase, I'm going to put a java applet on the relevant directory so those games will be viewable, which might help in ascertaining the gems).

Here are a couple fo suggestions: there's apparently a great Rogers-Milov (?) game from some years ago ... and Lee Jones' win over JP Wallace a couple fo years ago (Oz Open?) is a personal favourite. Also, there's a nice win by Greg Hjorth (a Victorian genius who abandoned chess for mathematical logic and now lectures at some big uni in the US) over Serge Rubinraut (I think) which deserves a mention, from Aus Championships in the dark ages of my youth.

skip to my lou
08-07-2004, 01:26 PM
I've tried - several times - to get players to nominate "great games" for a great games collection, with virtually zero response. I'd be *very* interested in any such collection for the ACF website. (In relation to Ozbase, I'm going to put a java applet on the relevant directory so those games will be viewable, which might help in ascertaining the gems).

I'm building a chess game search engine in PHP/MySQL. Currently, the search engine can search by headers (name, rating, tournament etc) or by moves (1. d4 d5 etc) or by fen position (search every position available in every game). Games are added to the database by a simple PGN uploader, similar to the one on this forum. There will be a base "library" and several different selections of games (like an iTunes playlist). So when I make it account based, you can manage your own favourites list, ratings etc. You can also add your own games (whether these games are made public or not is your choice).

Still a long way to go, but looking promising. Unlike sesha, no one needs to make any manual input. I can make it update itself from chessbase games, twic etc. So this project will go ahead regardless of lack of feedback or interest.

Further ideas/comments welcome.

Brian_Jones
08-07-2004, 02:40 PM
Paulb, if you want some info on Greg Hjorth why not subscribe to back issues of Australian Chess magazine at http://www.chessaustralia.com.au/index.cfm?p=detail&o=ACSUB0

JGB
08-07-2004, 04:42 PM
Thanks for some leads. ;) Ill look them up, and if a game pops in your head don't forget to post it here.

Duff McKagan
09-08-2004, 03:33 PM
Here are a couple fo suggestions: there's apparently a great Rogers-Milov (?) game from some years ago ... and Lee Jones' win over JP Wallace a couple fo years ago (Oz Open?) is a personal favourite. Also, there's a nice win by Greg Hjorth (a Victorian genius who abandoned chess for mathematical logic and now lectures at some big uni in the US) over Serge Rubinraut (I think) which deserves a mention, from Aus Championships in the dark ages of my youth.

Ian plays the highest standard of the classic games but the prize for beauty must surely go to Goldsmith vs Prods, Australian Championship 1981.

Oepty
09-08-2004, 03:50 PM
I have meant to do this for a while, but I think Wohl - Gipslis from 1996 should be looked at. The game is available from the online chessbase database. So is the Goldsmith - Prods game.
Scott

Duff McKagan
09-08-2004, 04:02 PM
I have meant to do this for a while, but I think Wohl - Gilpis from about 1997 should be looked at. I will try and remember to find the game.
Scott

Yes thats also a superb game... how about checking Rogers vs Oral, Saintly Cup 1999, Johansen vs Jamieson, Australian championship 1980 and Solomon vs Garbett, Commonwealth Championship 1983. Also great stuff!

Oepty
09-08-2004, 04:07 PM
Yes they are all great and they also can be got from chessbase
Scott

Rincewind
09-08-2004, 05:13 PM
I have meant to do this for a while, but I think Wohl - Gipslis from 1996 should be looked at. The game is available from the online chessbase database. So is the Goldsmith - Prods game.

Wohl - Gipslis was annotated by the late GM Tony Miles shortly before his death. The game featured in last ever column for ChessCafe. That column is still available from the ChessCafe website.

Go to :

http://www.chesscafe.com/archives/archives.htm#The%20Miles%20Report

Download miles.zip and look at miles28.pdf.

If would could claim some of Miles' games as "Australian" (which we sort of almost can but not quite, I believe) then I'm sure there would be many excellent examples for your proposal. He was a real character and orginal chess thinker.

JGB
18-08-2004, 07:51 PM
Thanks for your imput Barry, Scott, Duff and others, I had found most of theses gems, althought im just searching for Solomon - Garbett game from the 83' Comm championships. I have a few games played between the two players but that particular one is missing; ill search around. There are some nice games out there when you take a good look. I hope in my book ill uncover a few unknown beauties as well as the classics.

Thanks again Gents, by the way the book is well underway and is should not be all too shabby when finished.

Talk soon,

JGB
14-09-2004, 08:55 PM
The 100 games have been selected and the preliminary draft is well under way. I would rather not not post a list of the games here although if anyone still has an idea for a last minute inclusion then please post or pm me you idea. All thoughts are gladly welcommed.
It will take quite some more time to finish and a few games included are played by regular posters from Chesskit! No naming names just yet though... :whistle:
If anyone has anything against personally being such a book pleases pm me.
Kind Regards, James Bonning

skip to my lou
21-09-2004, 09:00 AM
This is only the draft. Here is a sample of 20 pages of what James is working on (you will need a pdf reader such as acrobat to view it):

http://www.chesskit.com/download/100draft.pdf

jay_vee
21-09-2004, 09:36 AM
I'd arrange the text in at least two columns. That way, you don't have a single half-move filling a whole line on the page. In addition, if you have multiple moves without commentary in between, it might be good to have only one (full) move per line, i.e

1.e4 e5
2.Nf3 Nc6
3.Bb5
the infamous Ruy Lopez opening
3...a6
4.Ba4 d6

etc.

Reads easier, imho.

arosar
21-09-2004, 09:46 AM
This looks like it will be an interesting book Mr Bonning. But game 85 mate!

AR

Lucena
21-09-2004, 10:45 AM
This looks like it will be an interesting book Mr Bonning. But game 85 mate!

AR

Full credit to James for this great undertaking. I agree with Amiel on his comment-although Lee clearly played well, I don't think that game is of a high enough calibre to deserve to be in your book. May I tentatively suggest Levi-Rogers, Doeberl Cup 1995(I'm pretty sure you haven't included that one), which features a very nice combination at the end. Or Smerdon-Solomon, Gold Coast Open 1999. This is annotated in Australian Chess Forum(not sure which issue). Both these games can be found on chessbase online, if you can't find them anywhere else.

auriga
21-09-2004, 02:18 PM
Full credit to James for this great undertaking. I agree with Amiel on his comment-although Lee clearly played well, I don't think that game is of a high enough calibre to deserve to be in your book. May I tentatively suggest Levi-Rogers, Doeberl Cup 1995(I'm pretty sure you haven't included that one), which features a very nice combination at the end. Or Smerdon-Solomon, Gold Coast Open 1999. This is annotated in Australian Chess Forum(not sure which issue). Both these games can be found on chessbase online, if you can't find them anywhere else.

on the contrary, game 85 is a fitting inclusion (heh)

seriously though.
JGB, are you sure you have the right game there?
that was from the gold coast zonal right.
i thought jones-wallace was the right game instead of this.

Lucena
21-09-2004, 03:05 PM
on the contrary, game 85 is a fitting inclusion (heh)

seriously though.
JGB, are you sure you have the right game there?
that was from the gold coast zonal right.
i thought jones-wallace was the right game instead of this.
I think I remember someone recommending that one for inclusion in the book on this bb in the past, in fact. Amazing game-all those pieces en prise!

Was either of you in time trouble during that game, just out of interest?

auriga
21-09-2004, 03:58 PM
I think I remember someone recommending that one for inclusion in the book on this bb in the past, in fact. Amazing game-all those pieces en prise!

Was either of you in time trouble during that game, just out of interest?

hmm. can't really remember.
don't think time was a problem for either side.
i do remember jp was not in very good form at that tournament.

JGB
21-09-2004, 04:03 PM
Ok guys, thanks for your help. About Game 85, sorry I am not so far in my proper analysis of the games. I had played over it a few times and done a prelim of all this game and it seemed good. But finished games, im only up to game 47. As I go along somethimes Im not happy with a game and it gets removed and exchanged, this may be the case with game 85 or any other. I have a list of possible substitute games. Thanks for your ideas guys, I will definetely be taking notes as this book is for you all; the Australian Chess public.
Regarding the layout, its still not confirmed. I have to play around a bit, coz I don't want a 400 page book!

Ill be looking into all your ideas,

Talk soon,

JGB
31-10-2004, 02:16 AM
I would like to take a moment to congratulate the team on a great effort which can only be good for Australian chess.

On another note, I was hoping there would be one or two classic games played by an Aussie during these Olympic games to be included in the book. I still have place to insert two more 'pearls'. I will be taking a deeper look at the quality of the games etc, but if any you have ideas let me know. Obviously Lane - Short is going to be put through its paces.

Trent Parker
15-11-2004, 10:54 AM
Any idea of when your book might be finished?

JGB
15-11-2004, 04:45 PM
Any idea of when your book might be finished?

Yeah, I know things have been moving slowly lately due to work commitments. I am hoping to have it finished for my return to Australia in January, but that is looking to be a hard termin to keep. :(
I am going to try and really get stuck into the book this week seeing that its minus 14 outside right now, there isn't much else to do after work. ;)

Garvinator
15-11-2004, 04:52 PM
Yeah, I know things have been moving slowly lately due to work commitments. I am hoping to have it finished for my return to Australia in January, but that is looking to be a hard termin to keep. :(
I am going to try and really get stuck into the book this week seeing that its minus 14 outside right now, there isn't much else to do after work. ;)
you could have it all done, finished and ready to present at doeberl ;)

JGB
15-11-2004, 04:57 PM
you could have it all done, finished and ready to present at doeberl ;)

If your lucky ;) :D

Actually that is a reasonable apointment. I should be able to have a final copy by then finished.

The Doeberl is around Easter isn't it?

Garvinator
15-11-2004, 05:00 PM
The Doeberl is around Easter isn't it?
Yes, it is played over the four days of easter in canberra.

JGB
15-11-2004, 11:16 PM
Well then, see you there. :)

...I could even be working in Canberra then.

Garvinator
15-11-2004, 11:18 PM
Well then, see you there. :)

...I could even be working in Canberra then.
who said ill be there :uhoh: it is in canberra and i live in brisbane :wow:

JGB
15-11-2004, 11:22 PM
who said ill be there :uhoh: it is in canberra and i live in brisbane :wow:

you don't want to see the premier of my book? :(

...and partake in the chess tournament of course?! ;)

Garvinator
15-11-2004, 11:24 PM
you don't want to see the premier of my book? :(

...and partake in the chess tournament of course?! ;)
is your book worth about $500 :eek:

JGB
15-11-2004, 11:27 PM
is your book worth about $500 :eek:

Perhaps, but it won't cost that much! ;) :D

Garvinator
15-11-2004, 11:29 PM
Perhaps, but it won't cost that much! ;) :D
well it would for me to come and get it ;)

JGB
15-11-2004, 11:38 PM
well it would for me to come and get it ;)

What? Is there no cheaper means, Ryan Air isnt yet in Australia?

You can almost fly to Germany and get an early bird, signed 'special edition' copy of my book for that price! :D

Garvinator
16-11-2004, 12:00 AM
What? Is there no cheaper means, Ryan Air isnt yet in Australia?

You can almost fly to Germany and get an early bird, signed 'special edition' copy of my book for that price! :D
Ryan Air, what is Ryan Air? The $500 was the total cost, including tournament entry fee etc. If i was to fly to Germany and the signed edition, would it be completed though ;)

JGB
24-11-2004, 01:46 AM
Ryan Air, what is Ryan Air? The $500 was the total cost, including tournament entry fee etc. If i was to fly to Germany and the signed edition, would it be completed though ;)

...perhaps if you helped me work on it. ;) :D

Garvinator
24-11-2004, 01:51 AM
...perhaps if you helped me work on it. ;) :D
you still havent explained what is ryan air ;) :cool:

JGB
24-11-2004, 02:10 AM
you still havent explained what is ryan air ;) :cool:

You serious? I though we have Ryan Air in Australia. wait what do we call it ...Virgin Blue, ohhh I forgot, its a different carrier! OK Richard Branson's European cheap flight operator is called Ryan Air. We (my girl and I) have flown a fair bit with them, it can be real cheap, if you get the dates right and booking is only online etc. Friedrichshafen (South germany) to London for about 10 Euro last year, together, including all taxes! Sometimes the flights are free! Serious, I flew from London to Newquay (Cornwall) last year for nix, but my partner had to pay a few bob.

Garvinator
24-11-2004, 02:13 AM
You serious? I though we have Ryan Air in Australia. wait what do we call it ...Virgin Blue, ohhh I forgot, its a different carrier! OK Richard Branson's European cheap flight operator is called Ryan Air. We (my girl and I) have flown a fair bit with them, it can be real cheap, if you get the dates right and booking is only online etc. Friedrichshafen (South germany) to London for about 10 Euro last year, together, including all taxes! Sometimes the flights are free! Serious, I flew from London to Newquay (Cornwall) last year for nix, but my partner had to pay a few bob.
no ryan air here. Yes we do have virgin blue here. Also we have jetstar(i call them scamstar ;) ). Unfortunately things arent as great out here regarding the fares like they are in europe from what I have heard. I think that comes from less competition and passengers here in Australia. There are sales between virgin and scamstar sometimes, but nothing to the level i hear of in europe.

JGB
24-11-2004, 02:19 AM
no ryan air here. Yes we do have virgin blue here. Also we have jetstar(i call them scamstar ;) ). Unfortunately things arent as great out here regarding the fares like they are in europe from what I have heard. I think that comes from less competition and passengers here in Australia. There are sales between virgin and scamstar sometimes, but nothing to the level i hear of in europe.

Its a shame really, would be nice for the organiser of a certain tournament if the Australian people could fly from any Australian capital cities to a certain mountain region of Australia for 25 bucks return. ;) No problems with attendance numbers.

It is a shame competition is not strong enough in Australia for such a market to exist?! We have enough problems when a third airline enters the market. :cool:
(not wanting to say too much as a former airline employee :D )

arosar
24-11-2004, 08:05 AM
I hate jetstar. There's no allocated seating and I hate that.

AR

Garvinator
24-11-2004, 08:29 AM

AR
do you mind if we have some thread drift jgb? This thread is about your book you know?

JGB
24-11-2004, 04:54 PM
do you mind if we have some thread drift jgb? This thread is about your book you know?

no probs mate, thread drift like evolution is a beautiful thing. :)

Garvinator
24-11-2004, 04:57 PM

AR
I like the ability to change your seat if you check in electronically. Means you can move your seat if you would prefer another seat :) .

Garvinator
24-11-2004, 05:02 PM
Its a shame really, would be nice for the organiser of a certain tournament if the Australian people could fly from any Australian capital cities to a certain mountain region of Australia for 25 bucks return. ;) No problems with attendance numbers.
:hmm: what tournament are you talking about james:P The nearest airfield is mt hotham. Qantas flies planes to mt hotham in winter, but not in summer. So still the nearest airfield for regular travel is tullamarine in Melbourne for the open/juniors. Yes cheaper fares would help our tournaments, especially the large ones.

JGB
02-02-2005, 07:47 PM
months ago I wrote ...

... Thanks for your ideas guys, I will definetely be taking notes as this book is for you all; the Australian Chess public.
Regarding the layout, its still not confirmed. I have to play around a bit, coz I don't want a 400 page book!

Ill be looking into all your ideas,

Talk soon, ....

Now I have a 400 page book ?! :confused: ....and no im not finished yet, I have heaps of work reamaining. :( ...but I have time and I"ll need it to cut this book back in size. :uhoh:

Garvinator
02-02-2005, 11:42 PM
how much will this masterpiece cost?

JGB
03-02-2005, 03:12 PM
It depends on how much I am prepared to lose out on this venture! But it has been highly rewarding, regardless :)

Lucena
11-02-2005, 10:57 AM
Also we have jetstar(i call them scamstar ;) ).

Why do you call them that? How have they scammed you? Can we lobby the ACCC? :owned:

eclectic
11-02-2005, 08:24 PM
months ago I wrote ...

Now I have a 400 page book ?! :confused: ....and no im not finished yet, I have heaps of work reamaining. :( ...but I have time and I"ll need it to cut this book back in size. :uhoh:

JGB,

You need to use some marketing savvy.

Hold back on some of your material then release it in "trickle out" form.

Release ( after the book but in DVD form ) Analysis 1, 2 and 3
(cf The Beatles Anthology 1, 2 and 3)

Never before seen outtakes from behind the scenes analysis sessions!

Use Chessbase, Ozbase, (or whatever) to "reconstruct" games between long gone Australian legends and our still active contemporaries.

;)

Mark

JGB
13-02-2005, 09:39 PM
Hi Mark

You dont think the effort I still need to put into this book is not frightening enough? Wanna make a DVD go ahead Im not stopping you. Hold back the material? you serious? I will be very happy when its finally off my workspace here at home! I have another life I have to get back to!

I think I will leave the marketing untill I can forsee the finished product. You know anything about the topic?

Thanks for your help anyway bro,

JGB
23-03-2005, 08:44 PM
A mate of mine with too much time on his hands decided to take the p**s out of me ... My title will be a bit different and spelt correctly.

HappyFriend
11-04-2005, 12:57 AM
In this book of yours you must have the game Firegoat 7 was playing when he attempted to "clock" Alexander Gaft some years back. No-doubt a lousy game but Oh the history behind it! Did wonders for Australian Chess and the (lack of) reputation of the Melbourne Chess Club.

JGB
11-04-2005, 01:11 AM
In this book of yours you must have the game Firegoat 7 was playing when he attempted to "clock" Alexander Gaft some years back. No-doubt a lousy game but Oh the history behind it! Did wonders for Australian Chess and the (lack of) reputation of the Melbourne Chess Club.

Seeing as the book is all about great games of chess, 'a lousy game' does not qualify. ;).
Perhaps someone writing a book about the history of the MCC might take up your offer. ;) I am interested to know how a lousy game of chess did wonders for Aussie Chess?

Rincewind
11-04-2005, 01:14 AM
Seeing as the book is all about great games of chess, 'a lousy game' does not qualify. ;).
Perhaps someone writing a book about the history of the MCC might take up your offer. ;) I am interested to know how a lousy game of chess did wonders for Aussie Chess?

Here is the game from OzBase

[Event "Doeberl Cup"]
[Site "Canberra"]
[Date "2000.04.22"]
[Round "4.23"]
[White "Beaumont, David"]
[Black "Corker, Kerry"]
[Result "1/2-1/2"]
[ECO "A48"]
[WhiteElo "2015"]
[BlackElo "1896"]
[PlyCount "54"]
[EventDate "2000.04.21"]

1. d4 Nf6 2. Nf3 g6 3. Bg5 Bg7 4. Nbd2 c5 5. c3 cxd4 6. cxd4 O-O 7. e4 d6 8.
Bc4 Nc6 9. Qe2 Qb6 10. e5 dxe5 11. dxe5 Ng4 12. e6 f6 13. h3 Nge5 14. Be3 Qxb2
15. Rb1 Qc3 16. O-O Nxc4 17. Rfc1 Qa5 18. Rxc4 Ne5 19. Rc5 Nxf3+ 20. Nxf3 Qa4
21. Bd4 b6 22. Rc7 Ba6 23. Qb2 Rfe8 24. Re1 Bc4 25. Nd2 Bd5 26. Qc3 Bh6 27.
Bxf6 Qxa2 1/2-1/2

I assume there were more moves that were not captured, or else both players were short of time, or both.

Rincewind
11-04-2005, 01:25 AM
I am interested to know how a lousy game of chess did wonders for Aussie Chess?

It's the "No such thing as bad publicity hypothesis".

e.g. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/726776.stm

HappyFriend
11-04-2005, 12:08 PM
What 99.9% of people would have done would be to gain the attention of the arbiter. Firegoat thought he was on the football field with "Dermie". For the next few years "the goat" or should I say "Jackass" was basking in his glory in front of all his acolytes. The MCC members to a large extent seem to support this type of behaviour or else they would not have elected "the goat" to the committee year after year after year....

firegoat7
11-04-2005, 01:55 PM
Hello JGB,

I remember this game as being my most enjoyable game of chess. I was playing Hacche who at the time I had never beaten it was 1996 Interclub and I was playing for MCC in A grade interclub. I remember Chris Fenwick congratulating me after the game and just being estatic, so yeah it made me feel good. It was also published in 'the age' by Chris Depasquale and by Gary Wastell.

Hacche-Beaumont Interclub 1996
1.Nf3 Nf6 2.c4 c5 3.Nc3 d5 4.cd Nd5 5.g3 Nc6 6.Bg2 Nc7 7.0-0 e5 8. d3 Be7 9. a3 0-0 10. Rb1 Be6 12.Bd2 f6 12.Ne1 Qd7 13.b4 cb 14.ab Rc8 15.b5 Nd4 16.b6 ab 17.Rxb6 Nd5 18.Bxd5 Bxd5 19.e3 Rxc3 20.Bxc3 Qa4 21. Ng2 QxQd1 22.Rxd1 Ne2+ 23.Kf1 Nxc3 0-1

The game continued for another 10-15 moves until Hacche resigned.

Cheers Fg7
P.S For what it is worth (not much), the Doeberl cup incident happend after I played Bxf6 with 4 minutes left on the clock. By the way Mr Gaft had already ignored an arbiters request to stop talking in the playing arena.

Rincewind
11-04-2005, 02:43 PM
What 99.9% of people would have done would be to gain the attention of the arbiter. Firegoat thought he was on the football field with "Dermie". For the next few years "the goat" or should I say "Jackass" was basking in his glory in front of all his acolytes. The MCC members to a large extent seem to support this type of behaviour or else they would not have elected "the goat" to the committee year after year after year....

P.S For what it is worth (not much), the Doeberl cup incident happend after I played Bxf6 with 4 minutes left on the clock. By the way Mr Gaft had already ignored an arbiters request to stop talking in the playing arena.

Probably best to not rehash the whole thing. I think most people agree that fg7 reacted under provocation but that his reaction was excessive. However, I doubt that condoning "fisticuffs with kibitzers" is one of fg7 MCC committee election platforms or policy at the MCC or for that matter any club.

Trent Parker
11-04-2005, 03:39 PM
For those who like to see games online.....

1.Nf3 Nf6 2.c4 c5 3.Nc3 d5 4.cxd5 Nxd5 5.g3 Nc6 6.Bg2 Nc7 7.0-0 e5 8. d3 Be7 9. a3 0-0 10. Rb1 Be6 12.Bd2 f6 13.Ne1 Qd7 14.b4 cxb4 15.axb4 Rc8 16.b5 Nd4 17.b6 axb6 18.Rxb6 Nd5 19.Bxd5 Bxd5 20.e3 Rxc3 21.Bxc3 Qa4 22. Ng2 Qd1 232.Rxd1 Ne2+ 243.Kf1 Nxc3 0-1

Trent Parker
11-04-2005, 03:46 PM
^
I give up for the moment.....

Garvinator
11-04-2005, 03:53 PM
Hacche-Beaumont Interclub 1996
1.Nf3 Nf6 2.c4 c5 3.Nc3 d5 4.cxd5 Nxd5 5.g3 Nc6 6.Bg2 Nc7 7.0-0 e5 8. d3 Be7 9. a3 0-0 10. Rb1 Be6 11.Bd2 f6 12.Ne1 Qd7 13.b4 cxb4 14.axb4 Rc8 15.b5 Nd4 16.b6 axb6 17.Rxb6 Nd5 18.Bxd5 Bxd5 19.e3 Rxc3 20.Bxc3 Qa4 21. Ng2 Qxd1 22.Rxd1 Ne2+ 23.Kf1 Nxc3 0-1

Mischa
11-04-2005, 03:57 PM
Hacche here at the moment and wonders why people focus on a game many years ago!

HappyFriend
11-04-2005, 07:52 PM
What about the game that tournament game where Thai Ly was playing a few weeks ago where he requested silence from the spectators (a reasonable request) and one of the "talkers" (who is perpetually medicated) grabbed him by the arm and threatened him. THAT game was very well played by Thai Ly under circumstances that would have affected anyone else for the worse.

Lucena
11-04-2005, 10:08 PM
It's the "No such thing as bad publicity hypothesis".

e.g. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/726776.stm

Wow. I didn't realise it was THAT well publicised... :eek:

Thunderspirit
05-05-2005, 10:03 AM
From my brief discussions with James he was more looking for games that are good games rather than games with a historical importance, but if Solo's only win against Ian doesn't get in, then I think a game with a lot of historical importance... But that's just me... I reckon Solo rocks...

That's not to say I don't Ian's a legend too! :)

JGB
07-05-2005, 01:55 PM
From my brief discussions with James he was more looking for games that are good games rather than games with a historical importance, but if Solo's only win against Ian doesn't get in, then I think a game with a lot of historical importance... But that's just me... I reckon Solo rocks...

That's not to say I don't Ian's a legend too! :)

Hi Lee I assuming your referring to the 2001 Fairfield RSL Summer Cup. Rest assured; that a very good game, and a fine instructional piece :).

As for the book, I have five chapters remaing before I can start editing the first draft. There is obviously a little while to go yet.

Thunderspirit
07-05-2005, 02:30 PM
Solo only beaten Ian once.. it's gotta be there! Put me down for 2 copies when its ready....

JGB
07-05-2005, 06:01 PM
Solo only beaten Ian once.. it's gotta be there! Put me down for 2 copies when its ready....

The game is there Lee, and I'll put you down for two copies mate.

A friend of mine is just helping me set up a few internet pages to help advertise the book and explain a bit about it, with pictures etc. When its finalised I will post the details here.

Best Regards, James.

Gattaca
14-07-2005, 06:19 PM
You'll be struggling to keep it to 100 games!

There are lots of players in Australia who have played many brilliant games. Some known for liking open, attacking positions are Rogers, Hjorth, Canfell, Hay, Chapman, Myers, Zhao, Smerdon, Goldsmith, Frean, Stirling, Zaric, Speck, Vassilaropoulous, Xie, Levi and Tan, just to name a few off the top of my head. If you went through their games there would be a lot of brilliant ones.

I have at least 20 sacrificial attacking games I'm proud of myself, though that's not surprising over the thousands of tournament games I've played. One of my favourites is Ermenkov-West, played in the Miskolc GM tourney in Hungary 1990, an irregular line vs the Dragon which earned a few votes in informant for game of the year. In my database this round 5 game is the only one from that event missing and I've always speculated on why! I seem to recall mating the GM in under 20 moves, sacking a rook then leaving my queen en prise, followed by a piece sac at the end. It certainly felt good at the time, as I was on 0.5/4!

Bill Gletsos
14-07-2005, 06:34 PM
I believe this is the game.

[Event "Miskolc"]
[Site "Miskolc"]
[Date "1990.??.??"]
[Round "5"]
[White "Ermenkov, Evgenij"]
[Black "West, Guy"]
[Result "0-1"]
[ECO "B70"]
[WhiteElo "2465"]
[BlackElo "2395"]
[PlyCount "60"]
[EventDate "1990.12.??"]
[EventType "tourn"]
[EventRounds "11"]
[EventCountry "HUN"]
[EventCategory "7"]
[Source "ChessBase"]
[SourceDate "1996.11.15"]

1. e4 c5 2. Nc3 d6 3. Nge2 g6 4. d4 cxd4 5. Nxd4 Nf6 6. Bg5 Bg7 7. Bb5+ Bd7 8.
Qe2 a6 9. Bxd7+ Nbxd7 10. O-O-O O-O 11. f4 Rc8 12. e5 dxe5 13. fxe5 Qa5 14. Nf3
Rxc3 15. exf6 exf6 16. Rxd7 fxg5 17. bxc3 Qxc3 18. Rxb7 Qa1+ 19. Rb1 Bb2+ 20.
Kd2 Rd8+ 21. Nd4 Rxd4+ 22. Ke3 Qxa2 23. Kf2 Rf4+ 24. Kg3 Qa3+ 25. Qd3 Bd4 26.
Kh3 g4+ 27. Kh4 Qe7+ 28. Kg3 Bf2+ 29. Kxf4 Qf6+ 30. Kxg4 h5+ 0-1

arosar
14-07-2005, 06:41 PM
Hjorth

You can still him on ICC.

AR

Gattaca
15-07-2005, 05:22 PM
Thanks, Bill. That's the game. It's longer than I remembered. The under 20 move win was Black against Murei... getting confused in my old age! In the Ermenkov game I liked the move 25...Bd4 leaving my Queen on, with the idea of ...Qd6. It's basically an 'interference' combination aiming to get the Queen to this key square, even though it threatens mate in two in its own right.

Bill Gletsos
16-07-2005, 01:02 AM
Thanks, Bill. That's the game. It's longer than I remembered. The under 20 move win was Black against Murei... getting confused in my old age! In the Ermenkov game I liked the move 25...Bd4 leaving my Queen on, with the idea of ...Qd6. It's basically an 'interference' combination aiming to get the Queen to this key square, even though it threatens mate in two in its own right.Yes Guy, I enjoyed playing over it. He would it seems have been better off playing 18. Re1 and settling for the draw by repetition if you chose to take it or a slightly inferior position if you didnt.

BTW I cannot find a Murei in any database I have.

Rhubarb
17-07-2005, 01:20 AM
I remember Guy's brilliancy against GM Ermenkov very well, and even saw some of it live (although I had to go back to my own game in the IM group in a different hall). Even Evgenij was complimentary after the game, as I recall. I would certainly have recommended it for James' book if it had sprung to mind when James was calling for nominations.

I also vaguely recall seeing Guy's win over Israeli GM Yacob Murey (not Murei) somewhere, but it's not in any of of DBs.

Gattaca
18-07-2005, 12:43 PM
For future reference, could someone just quickly talk me through how to upload a game to this site so it can be played via the interactive interface. Apologies if this has been explained before.

Garvinator
18-07-2005, 01:15 PM
For future reference, could someone just quickly talk me through how to upload a game to this site so it can be played via the interactive interface. Apologies if this has been explained before.
Hope this thread helps: http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=918, also if you scroll down you can upload pgn files onto here.

arosar
30-12-2005, 01:10 PM
You know, there used to be a link on the Ozbase page that allowed me to download the entire PGN file. But now it seems to have disappeared. Does anyone know how I can get the whole Ozbase - all 21k+ games?

Thanks,

AR

Oepty
30-12-2005, 01:42 PM
You know, there used to be a link on the Ozbase page that allowed me to download the entire PGN file. But now it seems to have disappeared. Does anyone know how I can get the whole Ozbase - all 21k+ games?

Thanks,

AR

Amiel, if you read the site you would have seen this note on it.

I have removed the file with all the games of this site in order to conserve space. If any one needs this file please email the Games Archivist and it will be sent to you by email.

Scott

arosar
30-12-2005, 01:51 PM
Aahh...I did not see that. Thanks.

AR

Bill Gletsos
30-12-2005, 02:13 PM
Actually the complete ozbase file is accessible from http://www.chessaustralia.com.au/index.cfm?p=section&a=ozbase

Oepty
30-12-2005, 02:49 PM
Actually the complete ozbase file is accessible from http://www.chessaustralia.com.au/index.cfm?p=section&a=ozbase

Bill, it says that this file contains only up to February this year so at least 12 tournaments will be missing from this file that are on the ozbase site.
Scott

Bill Gletsos
30-12-2005, 03:31 PM
Bill, it says that this file contains only up to February this year so at least 12 tournaments will be missing from this file that are on the ozbase site.
ScottTrue, but it is fairly quick to download the file from there then download the files missing from it from the ACF website.

JGB
05-01-2007, 03:01 AM
Hello everyone :),

It sure has been ages since I wrote about 'Champions and Challengers’ here on Chesschat. Basically it's a book full of great games of chess played by the best Australian players since 1875. It an historical training reference as well as giving detailed analysis of the games. Anyway, now that I have settled back down to life here I have found the time and energy to complete the job, and the point is that I am basically finished. Yeah, yeah I know it took a while but Rome wasn’t built in a day!

No need to worry about me having done all the analysis alone ;) , over 95% of the analysis was done while in Germany while living and working with chess players there. Two are GMs.

The format of the text has changed dramatically as compared to what was uploadable here, and it has been cut back to about 260 pages. Sorry about the initial 400 page nightmares. I have gone with the two columns-split format for various reasons.

A few chessplayers are currently spending many an hour completing the final proof reads and playing over the games of the text. Should not take long at all.

I am impressed with the presentation and it should be complete in less than a month. The text is much finer with more complete analysis than the original draft offered.

I have put countless hours of work into this project and it is finally time to complete it. I know many of you have PM'ed me asking when it will be complete, well now you know. Basically, as soon as I can get it printed up.
It will be worth the wait.

Basically Champions and Challengers includes:

- Detailed analysis
- Fully annotated games with diagrams
- Player and Opening Indexes for easy reference
- An Australian Chess Honours Boards
- 100 great battles played by Australia’s premier players
- Games are ordered historically from 1875 – 2005
- Relevant historical facts and opening classification
- 100s of additional reference games played by Australian and non-Australian Masters as a source of comparison

Best regards and take care,
James G Bonning

Kerry Stead
05-01-2007, 07:43 AM
Sounds great James!
Will be keen to see the finished product.

ER
05-01-2007, 08:58 AM
It's really amazing how people with maybe less time available than most of us, apply themselves in undertaking such wonderful projects! This thread alone shows how useful this board can be and how futile are attempts to decoy its real purpose (serving Australian Chess) by some posters who have nothing more to contribute apart from some pointless, inarticulate and banal arguments!
James, congratulations!

Basil
05-01-2007, 04:02 PM
Sounds great James!
Will be keen to see the finished product.

I can't say any more than that. Congratulations on undertaking such an interesting project. I wish you much success with it.

JGB
05-01-2007, 07:39 PM
I can't say any more than that. Congratulations on undertaking such an interesting project. I wish you much success with it.

Thank you all for the kind words. 'Success' for me will be a book which you all really enjoy.

Metro
08-01-2007, 01:42 AM
Thank you all for the kind words. 'Success' for me will be a book which you all really enjoy.

I can put you in touch with a chess historian in Melbourne.
PM me if interested.

eclectic
08-01-2007, 01:47 AM

When and where will the book signing take place?

JGB
08-01-2007, 11:16 AM
When and where will the book signing take place?

With enough demand it will be held at a venue where as many players will be in location at the same time as possible, so probably one of the larger Australian tournaments. This will also give me the chance to play some chess now that the chaos in my life has settled, or should I say now that I have control of it. As for the When, ill have to get back to you regarding this asap.

pax
08-01-2007, 11:30 AM
With enough demand it will be held at a venue where as many players will be in location at the same time as possible, so probably one of the larger Australian tournaments.

Hmm.. These days, there seems to be only one of those. Unless you plan on launching at the Australian Junior :hmm: :hmm:

Seriously, though, the Doeberl Cup would definitely be your best bet.

JGB
02-02-2007, 11:32 AM
Champions and Challengers Update

Hello everyone :P ,

Well It’s Finally Complete!
The last proof reads are done and the length is 266 pages in split column format. I am really happy with the layout. I am sure you will not be disappointed.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s316/jamesbonning/CCsmallcover.png

Basically Champions and Challengers includes:

- 100 great battles played by Australia’s premier players
- Detailed analysis
- Fully annotated games with 3-4 diagrams per game
- Player and Opening Indexes for easy reference
- Games are ordered historically from 1875 – 2005
- Relevant historical facts and opening classification
- 100s of additional reference games played by Australian and non-Australian Masters as a source of comparison
- An Australian Chess Honours Boards

Now to get it published….
I have a few ideas but would love to hear if anyone else has information on the topic.

Thank you all for the support! :)

James G Bonning

Mischa
02-02-2007, 11:57 AM
YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

FANTASTIC JAMES!!!!!!
I like the cover better than the original :)

ER
02-02-2007, 12:54 PM
Mate
Congratulations and I am looking forward to buy my signed copy! As for publishing I would't make a move without asking Howard Duggan first! Give him a PM, I am sure he would respond with good ideas!

Cheers and good luck
Elliott

pax
02-02-2007, 03:59 PM
Now to get it published….
I have a few ideas but would love to hear if anyone else has information on the topic.

It would be worth enquiring how many you might be able to sell first.

Talk to Brian Jones, Peter Parr, Graeme Gardiner, Chess World, David Cordover et al, and see if they would be willing to place a pre-order. Then you can use the preorders as leverage to get a publisher involved, or arrange to self-publish (not very hard these days).

JGB
02-02-2007, 11:32 PM
I wish I had the time to chase people around and find out about sales, publishing etc. However, just as I finished this book and thought I was about to get back into chess it looks like I am about to be dragged away again. External forces a little more important than chess at this stage in my life are demanding greater time. Sadly they cannot be achieved here and leave little time for chess... and my chess requires a lot more than a ‘little’ time! Basically things have just progressed faster on the job front than I expected.

With a few big tournaments coming up it really is disappointing! Ill do my best getting out to as many tournaments as I can and catch up with the latest news on Chesschat.

I have created an example of the text as a pdf with a few chapters for anyone who requires a better insight. If you would like a copy please PM me with your email details.

regards,
James

four four two
06-02-2007, 11:00 AM
YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

FANTASTIC JAMES!!!!!!
I like the cover better than the original :)

Which leads me to the question,what was the original cover?:hmm:

JGB
12-02-2007, 10:53 PM
Which leads me to the question,what was the original cover?:hmm:

It used to be posted on this topic, but it was just an artificial cover, never a real concept. The truth is, I am still not content with this cover either...

Any curious and bored minds can submit proposals for a C&C cover if they like?
I probably just left the floodgates open didn't I?:eek: entertain me...:cool:

Watto
13-02-2007, 06:58 AM
hehe. since you asked... the title font is possibly fine the way it is but I'd change the subtitle and other text on the cover to a more contemporary font. Good to have a contrast.

I think that having Uluru in the background is a good idea actually. It's a strong, memorable image and the colour contrasts are good.

Anyway, well done on the book. :)

p.s. the capitalisation of 'and' and 'by' niggles at me a bit- just a stylistic thing, curious why you chose to do that? Okay, that's it from one 'curious and bored mind'. :)
p.p.s. In case you're wondering why I've jumped in, I work with our graphic designer on all our audio book covers (talking books). Some of our covers are original and we work on those together as well but most of our covers incorporate an image of the original print cover. it means I spend a lot of my time looking at book cover images, proofing them and suggesting changes… so can’t help myself. ;)

Metro
14-02-2007, 02:02 AM
It used to be posted on this topic, but it was just an artificial cover, never a real concept. The truth is, I am still not content with this cover either...

I actually like the look of the image.I definitely think the Australian image is on track.This will sound very corny but I would include an Aus.animal image(s).
Also minor suggestion is that I would change minor text font.(Agree with Watto).Finally,I would increase size of your name.

:)

JGB
07-07-2012, 09:51 AM
Five years later, I have found the time to make my chess book 'Champions and Challengers' available for purchase as a PDF.

For $10 Australian, in the historical training reference you get:

* 100 Annotated Chess Masterpieces, Played By Australia’s Most Talented Players: 1875 – 2005.
* 268 pages of Detailed analysis;
* Fully annotated games with diagrams;
* Full Player and Opening Index for easy reference;
* Australian Chess Honours Boards;
* 100 great battles played by Australia’s premier players;
* Games ordered historically from 1875 – 2005;
* Relevant historical facts and opening classification; and
* 100s of additional reference games played by Australian and International Masters as a source of comparison

For more information see http://www.checkm8solutions.com/the-book-champions-and-challengers.html

Adamski
09-07-2012, 12:07 AM
Sounds great! I just bought a (PDF) copy. Note that JGB says on his site that he is revising to bring the book up to date and will provide purchasers with the update at no extra charge, once it is available. Good service mate!

JGB
09-07-2012, 06:48 PM
Sounds great! I just bought a (PDF) copy. Note that JGB says on his site that he is revising to bring the book up to date and will provide purchasers with the update at no extra charge, once it is available. Good service mate!

Adamski, I hope your copy made its way to you safely. Of course I am extremely willing to incorporate any feedback from the regulars at www.chesschat.org into the next addition. Especially games for inclusion covering the 2005-2012 period and ideas for which games need to be culled from the original. I still want to limit the number of games to 100. Please submit feedback through http://www.checkm8solutions.com/contact.html
Thanks again for the support over the past decade! You guys and gals know who you are.

machomortensen
13-07-2012, 09:16 PM
Interesting and great thread.

This morning I went through the fine game Ermenkov - West. I didn't know - HEHE - that West was THAT good.

I'm not really interested in a PDF-file, but is it possible to buy the real book??

Adamski
13-07-2012, 11:28 PM
Adamski, I hope your copy made its way to you safely. Of course I am extremely willing to incorporate any feedback from the regulars at www.chesschat.org into the next addition. Especially games for inclusion covering the 2005-2012 period and ideas for which games need to be culled from the original. I still want to limit the number of games to 100. Please submit feedback through http://www.checkm8solutions.com/contact.html
Thanks again for the support over the past decade! You guys and gals know who you are.
Received and started to read it. Thanks JGB!

JGB
14-07-2012, 01:07 AM
Interesting and great thread.

This morning I went through the fine game Ermenkov - West. I didn't know - HEHE - that West was THAT good.

I'm not really interested in a PDF-file, but is it possible to buy the real book??

Sorry, not at the moment.:hmm: Maybe in the future edition which will also include 2004-2012.

machomortensen
14-07-2012, 04:56 AM
Thanks for the reply.

Keep up the good work and the good idea.

Kerry Stead
14-07-2012, 11:35 AM
Does much of the content (or games at least - I realise the analysis might be different) overlap with Kevin Casey's book Australian Chess Brilliancies??

JGB
14-07-2012, 01:52 PM
I do not have a list of the games covered in Kevin Casey's great book but looking at online comments, i'd say it would be markedly different. Thats because Kevin's 96 page book appears more focused on 29 explosive sacrificial attacking games plus positions from the past few decades, whereas my text is 268 pages covering 100 games from 1875 through 2005, including various chess themes.
I'd also be interested to hear of any similarities.

Kerry Stead
14-07-2012, 11:07 PM
I do not have a list of the games covered in Kevin Casey's great book but looking at online comments, i'd say it would be markedly different. Thats because Kevin's 96 page book appears more focused on 29 explosive sacrificial attacking games plus positions from the past few decades, whereas my text is 268 pages covering 100 games from 1875 through 2005, including various chess themes.
I'd also be interested to hear of any similarities.
Casey's book has its oldest game from 1974, so I'd definitely expect more older games from your book.
FYI, the games from Casey's book are shown on chessgames (http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chesscollection?cid=1017641).
Do any of these appear in your book?

JGB
15-07-2012, 01:52 PM
Casey's book has its oldest game from 1974, so I'd definitely expect more older games from your book.
FYI, the games from Casey's book are shown on chessgames (http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chesscollection?cid=1017641).
Do any of these appear in your book?

Cheers Kerry, the following games occur in both books:

H Wohl vs Gipslis,*1996
E Levi vs I Rogers,*1995
I Rogers vs G Milos,*1992
A Goldsmith vs Arvids Prods,*1981
G Hjorth vs D K Johansen,*1983
Kiril Georgiev vs I Rogers, 1993
I Rogers vs E Mensch,*2001
M Sixtensson vs G West,*1986
D Smerdon vs S J Solomon,*1999
C Depasquale vs D K Johansen,*1991
G Lane vs Short,*2004

Looks like a reasonably healthy overlap for the years covered if you ask me. I had my original list of 100 games posted as a draft download on the old cheskit website back in 2004.