PDA

View Full Version : A Survey of Chess Players

ChessGuru
18-06-2004, 06:21 PM
There hasn't been (as far as I can tell) much market research done on chess, so to get the ball rolling i'd be most pleased if you can email survey@chessworld.com.au with the answers to the following Questions.
Many thanks! :)

This questionnaire will be used by to facilitate improvements to chess events.

Do you have children? Yes No

Please give one positive word you associate with playing Chess:

Employment Status: Full-time  Part-time  Casual  Unemployed  Student  Retired

Type of Vocation or Study:

Why did you get involved in competitive chess?

How long have you been playing tournament chess?

Rank the following activities based on how often you do them:
(1 = weekly; 2 = fortnightly; 3 = monthly; 4 = annually; 5 = not at all)

1 2 3 4 5 Theatre
1 2 3 4 5 Movies/Films
1 2 3 4 5 Sport (participation)
1 2 3 4 5 Sport (spectator)
1 2 3 4 5 Dining Out
1 2 3 4 5 Live Music / Concerts
1 2 3 4 5 Pubs/bars/clubs
1 2 3 4 5 Other (Specify) .............

What (if any) of these papers do you read (tick or circle those that apply)
The Age The Australian Financial Review
Herald-Sun Local community paper

How many friends do you play chess against (outside of tournaments)?
1 - 2 3 -5 6 10 10+

Do you play chess at home?
 Yes, with my family
 Yes, with friends
 Yes, on the internet
 Yes, on my own or chess study
 No, only at a club or tournaments

arosar
18-06-2004, 06:31 PM
There was a survey down over at the Vic Open. Is it the same survey?

How about you attach the soft copy on here and I fill that in and email to you.

AR

Bill Gletsos
18-06-2004, 06:52 PM
Given the list of papers to choose from it is clearly just a Victorian survey.

PHAT
18-06-2004, 07:24 PM
Rank the following activities based on how often you do them:
(1 = weekly; 2 = fortnightly; 3 = monthly; 4 = annually; 5 = not at all)

1 2 3 4 5 Theatre
1 2 3 4 5 Movies/Films
1 2 3 4 5 Sport (participation)
1 2 3 4 5 Sport (spectator)
1 2 3 4 5 Dining Out
1 2 3 4 5 Live Music / Concerts
1 2 3 4 5 Pubs/bars/clubs
1 2 3 4 5 Other (Specify) .............

While could give my speculations as to the rationale for this question, I would be interested to first hear what the surveyer thinks is its relevance to the improvement of Australian chess.

Alan Shore
18-06-2004, 08:09 PM
People usually receive a nominal fee for market research :p

Despite this, people should certainly be told what this research is for, how it is going to be used and whether there is a privacy policy on the information divulged...

Rincewind
18-06-2004, 11:19 PM

Despite this, people should certainly be told what this research is for, how it is going to be used and whether there is a privacy policy on the information divulged...

Yes. Particularly if part of that information is the sender's email address.

Mind you, I'm paraniod abuot that sort of thing.

ursogr8
19-06-2004, 05:23 PM

BD

Maybe your 'usually' is correct.

An example of where the customer pays is the return of the warranty card on a white good purchase. Costs the customer 50 cents. The warranty is valid whether the card is returned or not. The purpose of the card is market research and POS info.

starter

ursogr8
23-06-2004, 07:59 AM
There was a survey down over at the Vic Open. Is it the same survey?

AR

Good question Amiel. And one that bothered me for a few days.
Is it the same survey?
For a while I could not see the difference. And then it struck me that this second version does not claim ACF imprimatur by using the ACF logo. :uhoh:

But then, an ex-VP of the ACF seems to be on the warpath for multiple unauthorised uses of the ACF logo. Other publications in the gun are the Mt Buller doco., from the Guru, and VIC Championship doco. from the Gazza (and he a current VP :naughty: .)

starter

ursogr8
18-07-2004, 04:15 PM
hello there GURU

Can you share some of the results from the survey you conducted in a few quarters.

Also, rumour has it that you have closed down the RJ shield competition. Can you confirm or deny, we might be interested in your contact list.
It would be a pity to see the RJ name disappear from circulation after so many great players have cut their teeth in this competition.

starter

ursogr8
19-07-2004, 10:06 AM
hello there GURU

Can you share some of the results from the survey you conducted in a few quarters.

Also, rumour has it that you have closed down the RJ shield competition. Can you confirm or deny, we might be interested in your contact list.
It would be a pity to see the RJ name disappear from circulation after so many great players have cut their teeth in this competition.

starter

Monday 19 July 10am

The GURU informs me the RJ Shield is still operative, but not at last years rate of 20 events per year. Only 1 held to date in 2004.
Next RJ event is in Mildura around 1 August.

Incidentally, the GURU confirms resignation from his positions on the ACF and CV. He has become time-poor and has a new outlook, in life, of the highest blessing. :clap: :clap:

starter

Kevin Bonham
19-07-2004, 08:57 PM
Incidentally, the GURU confirms resignation from his positions on the ACF and CV. He has become time-poor and has a new outlook, in life, of the highest blessing. :clap: :clap: \

Do you know who the new CV delegate is? If CG has resigned I need to know who the new delegate is (if one has been appointed) for Olympiad captaincy voting, as a matter of urgency.

Bill Gletsos
19-07-2004, 09:00 PM
\

Do you know who the new CV delegate is? If CG has resigned I need to know who the new delegate is (if one has been appointed) for Olympiad captaincy voting, as a matter of urgency.
Email the CV president Gary Wastell and ask him. If a replacement has not yet been slected then he should have the authority to appoint an interim.

skip to my lou
19-07-2004, 09:05 PM
I got an email from survey@chessworld.com.au at 2:30PM today which contained a virus so the email was automatically deleted by Norton.

Kevin Bonham
19-07-2004, 09:42 PM
Email the CV president Gary Wastell and ask him. If a replacement has not yet been slected then he should have the authority to appoint an interim.

Done.

ursogr8
19-07-2004, 09:43 PM
\

We should do all we can to facilitate the Melbourne Chess Club to consider a candidate for this vacancy.

Kevin Bonham
19-07-2004, 09:49 PM
He has become time-poor and has a new outlook, in life, of the highest blessing. :clap: :clap:

Interesting cryptic comment.

Does this box come with handles?

PHAT
20-07-2004, 08:00 AM

I thought that you took a dim view of that level of scharden fruder?

ursogr8
20-07-2004, 08:07 AM
Interesting cryptic comment.

No more hints KB for you to crib the answer.

starter

ursogr8
21-07-2004, 09:22 PM
Monday 19 July 10am

The GURU informs me the RJ Shield is still operative, but not at last years rate of 20 events per year. Only 1 held to date in 2004.
Next RJ event is in Mildura around 1 August.

Incidentally, the GURU confirms resignation from his positions on the ACF and CV. He has become time-poor and has a new outlook, in life, of the highest blessing. :clap: :clap:

starter
Oh.
I forgot to mention >>
The Guru has closed one of his shop fronts in ORMOND. The original shop that was used as a retail outlet and a coaching venue, remains. But the newer venue, that was used for tournaments (and was the location of the now-famous altercation), is the one that he has closed. It is a pity really as both were interesting ventures.

starter

PHAT
22-07-2004, 12:26 AM
... and was the location of the now-famous altercation), is the one that he has closed.

Not so famous in NSW. Name names and offences.

Bill Gletsos
22-07-2004, 01:10 AM
Not so famous in NSW. Name names and offences.
Of course it was famous in NSW.
Ian Rogers write about in his weekend column and there was a mention of it in Brain Jones Australian Chess magazine last year.

PHAT
22-07-2004, 02:00 AM
Of course it was famous in NSW.
Ian Rogers write about in his weekend column and there was a mention of it in Brain Jones Australian Chess magazine last year.

Jog my memory. Was it the case of some very candid bulletins for each round, that had someone in a snit, or the noisy brat who caused someone to lose their rag and nearly get arrested, or something else altogether?

Bill Gletsos
22-07-2004, 01:21 PM
Jog my memory. Was it the case of some very candid bulletins for each round, that had someone in a snit, or the noisy brat who caused someone to lose their rag and nearly get arrested, or something else altogether?
Both actually because they were from the one tournament, last years Aus Masters.

Garvinator
22-07-2004, 01:30 PM
Both actually because they were from the one tournament, last years Aus Masters.
i dont know about it either :confused:

Ian Rout
22-07-2004, 01:59 PM
Well here is a column about the 2003 Masters ...

http://www.chessnetwork.com/ncn/b/g130703.htm

arosar
22-07-2004, 02:38 PM
Yeah...it's amazing that it was already last year that we read that. Seems like only yesterday. I tell youse what: I reckon some of youse will just about grow old on this BB. Time goes so quickly you know.

AR