PDA

View Full Version : Accessing complete list of posts

Bereaved
11-12-2007, 12:32 AM
Hello, Bill, Kevin, Barry et al,

Is there any way to call up the record of all of my posts, not merely the 500 that pop up when I search my posts? And if this is possible, would it also be possible for members to look up other posters total posts ( ie numbers greater than 500) ?

Would appreciate any help in this matter that can be provided,

Take care and God Bless, Macavity

Rincewind
11-12-2007, 06:41 PM
Hello, Bill, Kevin, Barry et al,

Is there any way to call up the record of all of my posts, not merely the 500 that pop up when I search my posts? And if this is possible, would it also be possible for members to look up other posters total posts ( ie numbers greater than 500) ?

Would appreciate any help in this matter that can be provided,

Mac it is probably doable by using the advanced search facility and making note of the oldest post of your last 500 and working your way back. Repeat as many times as is necessary (i.e. ceiling(posts/500)).

Bill Gletsos
11-12-2007, 07:46 PM
Mac it is probably doable by using the advanced search facility and making note of the oldest post of your last 500 and working your way back. Repeat as many times as is necessary (i.e. ceiling(posts/500)).It isnt really doable via that method.

What it really needs is for an admin via the admincp to select 'vBulletin Options' then the 'Message Searching Options' from there and under that change the 'Maximum Search Results to Return' value to a number much larger than 500.

I understand however that this is likely to have a significant impact on the server so increasing it too much is not advisable.

Bereaved
11-12-2007, 08:20 PM
It isnt really doable via that method.

What it really needs is for an admin via the admincp to select 'vBulletin Options' then the 'Message Searching Options' from there and under that change the 'Maximum Search Results to Return' value to a number much larger than 500.

I understand however that this is likely to have a significant impact on the server so increasing it too much is not advisable.

Hi Bill,

So is the short answer "no, it is not possible" then?

As that is what it seems to be indicating to me, not that this is anyone's fault, just that is the understanding that the above post suggests to me, save the change you mentioned, of increasing the maximum on (all?)searches, which you seem to indicate will not be feasible

PS so the method Rincewind described will not work at all then?

Kevin Bonham
11-12-2007, 08:23 PM
PS so the method Rincewind described will not work at all then?

As far as I'm aware, it's clumsy, because I don't think you are given the option of finding all posts before a specific date. You can find the latest 500 posts by a poster that are 6 months old and older, or 1 year old and older, for example.

If anyone has a way to refine it more than that, I'd be interested to know that too.

Bill Gletsos
11-12-2007, 08:28 PM
Hi Bill,

So is the short answer "no, it is not possible" then?

As that is what it seems to be indicating to me, not that this is anyone's fault, just that is the understanding that the above post suggests to me, save the change you mentioned, of increasing the maximum on (all?)searches, which you seem to indicate will not be feasible

PS so the method Rincewind described will not work at all then?It may work if you have under say 1000 posts or even 2000 but a lot depends on when thos eposts were made.

The problem is there is no way to start the search where the first 500 ends or in fact whereever a particular post ends. Therefore even if you use the 'Find posts from' option and pick a particular date e.g. from a year ago and then select either older or newer you still only get 1000 possible posts.

In my case with 11,000+ posts finding certain posts is virtually impossible unless it contains a particular word or phrase that can be searched on.

Kevin Bonham
11-12-2007, 08:36 PM
A way to do it that should retrieve all posts for those with not-too-high postcounts is to use "search in forum(s)" one forum at a time. Some combination of that and search by date will get you all posts for most posters, but there are a few you would not get all posts for no matter what you did.