PDA

View Full Version : I need some advice please...

The Iceman
07-12-2007, 03:55 AM
I would like to load "Kasparov's Gambit" to run on my 'Windows 2000 Professional'... It used to work terrific on my "Windows '98" but I haven't been able to reload it on this Operating System... For some reason it keeps rejecting it and as I am not very computer savvy I haven't got a clue what to do or how to make it work...
I would appreciate some advice if there is a way to load it and run it on my new OS... I thank everybody who might be able to help beforehand... Cheers...

Spiny Norman
07-12-2007, 06:22 AM
I would like to load "Kasparov's Gambit" to run on my 'Windows 2000 Professional'... It used to work terrific on my "Windows '98" but I haven't been able to reload it on this Operating System... For some reason it keeps rejecting it and as I am not very computer savvy I haven't got a clue what to do or how to make it work...
I would appreciate some advice if there is a way to load it and run it on my new OS... I thank everybody who might be able to help beforehand... Cheers...
If it were me (and I have the unfair advantage of having worked in I.T. for 20+ years!) I would install something like Microsoft Virtual PC 2007:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/default.mspx

and then install Windows 98 amd then Kasparov's Gambit into it.

The Iceman
07-12-2007, 01:05 PM
Many thanks Spiny Norman for your input... 20 years+ in the IT industry...Awesome...! But your answer raises another question for me... If in the end I will have to re-install Windows 98 to be able to make this game work, wouldn't I be going back to my original position with Windows 98 as my OS...?
As I stated, or perhaps I didn't make myself well explained as to what I wanted to accomplish, what I need is a solution to make "Kasparov's Gambit" work in my new OS of Windows 2000 Professional... Have I misunderstood your answer or is my question a logical one...?
Once again many thanks for your input and cheers...:)

Spiny Norman
07-12-2007, 01:49 PM
Many If in the end I will have to re-install Windows 98 to be able to make this game work, wouldn't I be going back to my original position with Windows 98 as my OS...?

The answer to that is Yes, and No ... from the Virtual PC 2007 website (link provided above):

Use Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 to run multiple operating systems at the same time on the same physical computer. Switch between virtual machines with the click of a button. Use virtual machines to run legacy applications, provide support, train users, and enhance quality assurance.

Virtual PC lets you create separate virtual machines on your Windows desktop, each of which virtualizes the hardware of a complete physical computer. Use virtual machines to run operating systems such as MS-DOS, Windows, and OS/2. You can run multiple operating systems at once on a single physical computer and switch between them as easily as switching applications—instantly, with a mouse click. Virtual PC is perfect for any scenario in which you need to support multiple operating systems, whether you use it for tech support, legacy application support, training, or just for consolidating physical computers.

I've just had a look at the system requirements for Virtual PC 2007. It won't run on Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional. But if you can get a copy of the older Virtual PC 2004 it should run okay on your system.

Having installed Virtual PC 2004 and it's SP1 update, create a new virtual machine, install Windows 98 into it, install Kasparov's Gambit into it, voila.

If you don't want to go down this path, then the only other suggestions I can make:

-- get an old PC from somewhere, install Windows 98 on that; or
-- contact manufacturer of Kasparov's Gambit and see if there's an upgrade/update available

The Iceman
07-12-2007, 05:10 PM
Thanks again Spiny Norman... The penny has finally dropped...! Your last explanation will be followed to the letter and I shall let you know if I have actually succeded or not in this task... With my limited computer nous it might take me a while I think... Your input has been invaluable... Thanks again and cheers... Have a nice day...:)

The Iceman
09-12-2007, 03:48 PM
Thanks Spiny Norman... Did exactly as you suggested with the Virtual PC 2004 but instead of loading Windows 98 I installed Windows Millenium ME instead... I found that "Kasparov's Gambit" worked better in this OS and even the graphics improved a lot...
I am now happily playing Kasparov and getting thrased all the time...! Once again thanks for your advice and have a nice life...
Regards and cheers...
The Iceman...

Spiny Norman
10-12-2007, 09:54 AM
Excellent ... I love it when a plan comes together and works as one hoped! :)

The Iceman
10-12-2007, 08:01 PM
Hi Spiny Norman... As to your last message all I can say is, "And so say all of us...!". There is nothing I hate more in life than something that should work but doesn't because of a lack of knowledge of alternative methods to make it do so, as was my problem in this case...
Thanks to you I have now acquired that knowledge and putting it to good use...
Thanks again and regards... Cheers...
The Iceman...:D

ElevatorEscapee
11-12-2007, 08:55 PM
The Iceman cometh... and... after receiving good advice, the Iceman cometh back! :D

The Iceman
12-12-2007, 01:43 AM
Good quote indeed... As you said good advice makes you come back, and the advice giver can take all the credit... In this case Spiny Norman... Thanks for the quote...
Cheers...
The Iceman...:D

Spiny Norman
12-12-2007, 05:33 AM
Speaking of plans coming together EE, I'm trying to put together a visit to Toolleen (after Christmas). If it happens I will get in touch and try to catch up with you in Bendigo ...

ElevatorEscapee
18-12-2007, 09:32 PM
Narry a worry Spiny, our club is so obstinate that it meets on Boxing Day & the day after New Year's Day! (both fall on Wednesdays!) ;)

We look forward to seeing you! :D

Spiny Norman
19-12-2007, 06:13 AM
Jeeperz, you're keen!