PDA

View Full Version : Is voting overrated?

Aaron Guthrie
16-11-2007, 10:39 AM
I tend to think voting is overrated. I reckon the best way to have a voice is to literally have a voice, rather than just choosing a side.

Rincewind
16-11-2007, 11:08 AM
I tend to think voting is overrated. I reckon the best way to have a voice is to literally have a voice, rather than just choosing a side.

Love the poll. Keep up the good work. ;)

Capablanca-Fan
16-11-2007, 11:20 AM
The American Founding Fathers were adamant that America should not be a democracy. They cited previous examples where a pure democracy was a tyranny of the majority, hence the new country would be a republic.

It's a shame that ostensible Republicans Shrubby and Condi don't remember that with their obsession for democracy in the middle east. They claim that everyone wants freedom, no matter what country they come from. But in many countries, it's only freedom for oneself, not for others.

John Agresto's book Mugged by Reality: The Liberation of Iraq and the Failure of Good Intentions argues similarly that imposing democracy on Iraq before making sure there was law and order was a mistake.

Another lovely result of democracy-at-all-costs was the election of Hamas, which appropriately is the Hebrew word for violence.

Without the rule of law, democracy is crap. Britain works well as a democracy because it had the rule of law and freedom before voting rights. Mel's Wallace in Braveheart, in his last breaths, shouted "Freedom!", not "Democracy!" Conversely, in many African countries and likely in Venezuela, "Democracy" means "One man, one vote one time".

Intuition
16-11-2007, 11:40 AM
Love the poll. Keep up the good work. ;)

lol...just for the record i voted yes

WhiteElephant
16-11-2007, 11:43 AM
I find voting to be an imposition on my liberty. That's an hour of my life (queuing up on a Saturday morning being hassled by people with pamphlets) that I will never get back.

Ian Murray
16-11-2007, 11:51 AM
I find voting to be an imposition on my liberty. That's an hour of my life (queuing up on a Saturday morning being hassled by people with pamphlets) that I will never get back.
Move to Queensland and pick up an hour for nothing every March

Intuition
16-11-2007, 11:51 AM

yeah i agree....u could always hit an early voting center tho...just tell them u will be interstate ;)

Capablanca-Fan
16-11-2007, 12:21 PM
That's a problem with compulsory voting. We had a poll (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=6722)where 97 said that voting should not be compulsory.

WhiteElephant
16-11-2007, 12:26 PM
Why don't they introduce internet voting?

I could use that extra hour to read the policies rather than standing in a queue.

Kevin Bonham
16-11-2007, 04:05 PM
Why don't they introduce internet voting?

It is very difficult to implement in any way that is both foolproof and seen to be foolproof. The transparency issue is a nightmare. As an experienced election scrutineer I'm very sceptical of it.

Axiom
16-11-2007, 06:34 PM
It is very difficult to implement in any way that is both foolproof and seen to be foolproof. The transparency issue is a nightmare. As an experienced election scrutineer I'm very sceptical of it.
So we better install biometric log on identification systems?? :lol:

ElevatorEscapee
16-11-2007, 09:27 PM
I think compulsory voting with a preferential system is a lot like amateur chess in that: "victory goes to the one of the two competitors who makes the last but one mistake".

This could easily be translated to "Victory goes to the one of the two major parties who is voted the last but one!" (assuming the one voted last is the other major party).