PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: wording change to new rule

Spiny Norman
26-10-2007, 07:19 AM
Hi Bill, et al,

I noted one of the new rules introduced (presumably largely in relation to the recent sig-file changing kerfuffle) reads as follows:

If a member sends another member any PM that that member has indicated is not wanted, then the offending member may have their PM rights revoked or other action taken.

I'd like to suggest a change, namely, that the italicised component above be replaced and the concept of "previously" being advised be inserted, so that it reads something like:

If a member sends another member any PM where the recipient has previously indicated to the sender that communication from the sender is not wanted, then the sender may have their PM rights revoked or other action taken.

eclectic
26-10-2007, 10:32 AM
there are vbulletin versions (most likely later ones than this ... upgrade hint?) which allow you to choose only to receive PM's from those on your buddy list (admins and mods might naturally be considered to be the same!).

Kevin Bonham
26-10-2007, 01:28 PM
This rule actually has nothing to do with the sig-file business but was coincidentally introduced at the same time.

The reason for the difference in wording between what we have and what Spiny has suggested is that in some cases people are happy to receive PMs from specific other posters but only if they avoid the discussion of specific topics. This is particularly relevant if one of the posters is a moderator - a mod might want to ask a poster to stop wasting time hassling them about a particular issue as a poster, but might not want to cut off all PM communication with that poster in case that poster has valid moderation concerns to raise at some point.

However I think adding "previously" is a good idea so I will do that just for clarity as that was what we always intended.

I'll also change "that member" to "the recipient" as it is probably a bit confusing as it currently reads.

Spiny Norman
26-10-2007, 01:53 PM
Thanks Kevin.