PDA

View Full Version : Can K|R win against K|N?

mocha
23-10-2007, 05:22 AM
Can King+Rook win against King+Knight? If so, could anyone kindly explain the strategy to it? Thanks!

Garrett
23-10-2007, 06:41 AM
I've seen some examples where the knight gets separated from it's king. The enemy rook and king can cut down squares and eventually trap the knight.

I am not sure if it's possible to win when if the knight can join the king.

Just aim for two rooks versus knight, that's a bit easier.

Spiny Norman
23-10-2007, 07:48 AM
According to Reuben Fine's "Basic Chess Endings", K+R vs K+N is a draw provided the side with the knight keeps his king in the centre. Positions which lead to a win for the side with the rook involve:

1. mating threats; and/or
2. pinning the knight in a position where the king must abandon it; and/or
3. stalemating the knight and capturing it

Too many variations to explain all this here ... suggest you get the book! 8^)

Capablanca-Fan
23-10-2007, 10:12 AM
The Arab masters of Shatranj, where K, R and N move the same as they do now, analysed Kg5,Ra7 v Kh7,Ng7 as a win.

If N or K is in the corner, there is a good chance of loss because the N is too restricted.

A R placed two squares away from the N on a diagonal can restrict a lot of its movement, e.g. Re5 v Nc3.

See the finish of Karpov vs Ftacnik, Thessaloniki (ol) 1988 (http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1046015).

Kevin Bonham
23-10-2007, 08:09 PM
Annoyingly, I had KR vs KN in the last round of a tournament once and the opponent momentarily strayed into a position where all four pieces were lined up and all I had to do was move the king thus revealing a rook pin of the knight supported by the king.

I missed this and made no further headway, hence missing =1st and receiving $160 less than had I won the game.