PDA

View Full Version : Winning a Tournament by Countback???

Intuition
14-10-2007, 06:28 PM
I am currently playing in my first chess tournament which is run over several weeks. It is a double round robin. In the event of a tie (ie the 2 top players finishing on the same number of points) the DOP has told us that the winner will be decided via 'countback'.

First of all what does countback mean? Is it a countback of the player who has the most wins? So for eg if player1 had 1+1+0+1=3 would he beat 1+1+.5+.5=3?

Thanks for helping me understand this rule
:)

Kevin Bonham
14-10-2007, 07:01 PM
I am currently playing in my first chess tournament which is run over several weeks. It is a double round robin. In the event of a tie (ie the 2 top players finishing on the same number of points) the DOP has told us that the winner will be decided via 'countback'.

There are many different countback systems in use.

In the case of a round robin some countback systems sometimes used are:

* Results of the tied players in their games against each other
* Most wins
* Neustadtl score (also incorrectly known as Sonneborn-Berger.) This consists of the sum of the total scores of all opponents you beat, plus half the total scores of all opponents you tied with.

You should ask the DOP which countbacks will be used, and in what order.

First of all what does countback mean? Is it a countback of the player who has the most wins? So for eg if player1 had 1+1+0+1=3 would he beat 1+1+.5+.5=3?

If "most wins" was the countback, then yes, WWWL beats WWDD.