PDA

View Full Version : Another election, another race card from the Liberals

paulb
06-10-2007, 05:10 AM
Right on cue ... the latest "I'm an automaton, so you can trust me" from the Liberal party* trots out some racist crap in a contemptible bid for votes. Must be an election in the air. Labor's not grand but they don't stoop to this ... at least, not since the '60s.

Cue for some brain-dead right wing apologists to try to convince me that Howard's not a racist despite opposing Asian immigration, Aboriginal reconciliation, despite not opposing Hanson, despite the Tampa, and so on. Come on, you know you want to. How low can we go?

* Andrews; previously Ruddock

Basil
06-10-2007, 11:20 AM
Hi Paul

When you've taken a breath, I'd be interested in having a look at one of those issues. Care to construct one cogently?

DanielBell
06-10-2007, 12:09 PM
The Aboriginal community need to get into contact with these guys:
http://www.grameen-info.org/

That would help more than an apology.

Desmond
06-10-2007, 02:58 PM
This week I saw a billboard by the side of the highway displaying Howard with a shit-eating grin and the slogan "Australian families have never been so well off." Just wondering if this came from the government coffers of advertising some (unnamed) campaign, of if the Libs pay for this some other way?

pax
06-10-2007, 03:42 PM
This week I saw a billboard by the side of the highway displaying Howard with a shit-eating grin and the slogan "Australian families have never been so well off." Just wondering if this came from the government coffers of advertising some (unnamed) campaign, of if the Libs pay for this some other way?

That one is a Labor ad. Clever eh? :)

pax
06-10-2007, 03:47 PM
Cue for some brain-dead right wing apologists to try to convince me that Howard's not a racist despite opposing Asian immigration, Aboriginal reconciliation, despite not opposing Hanson, despite the Tampa, and so on. Come on, you know you want to. How low can we go?

I don't know whether Howard is himself racist. But he certainly has no problem in cynically playing the race card when it suits him. These issues play well for the government in marginal seats.

Capablanca-Fan
16-11-2007, 12:16 PM
While there was a very real 'reds under the beds' problem (most notoriously Alger Hiss), for Lefties it's a 'racists under the bed' scare.

For MLK and me, it is racist to judge people on skin colour rather than content of character. For many modern Lefties, esp. those in unis, it's racist to want to treat all races equally, thus opposing racial preferences / "affirmative action".

Howard doesn't oppose Aboriginal reconciliation; rather, he doesn't believe in silly "apologies" for what long-dead people did to other long-dead people, and funding a grievance-mongering gravy train that does nothing for the people it's ostensibly meant to help, but instead lines the pockets of the politically connected.

As for Hanson, Labor made a big to-do about the Libs not placing her last on how-to-vote cards, then QLD Labor pulled out the hypocritical "Just Vote 1" trick.