PDA

View Full Version : Please help analyse my game

lithium
28-09-2007, 08:03 AM
Hello everyone, after playing my first Standard comp game at the club last night (75 Mins + 30 secs per move) which resulted in a loss, I'd like to get some help/feedback/analysis on my game from those more seasoned please!

1.d4 d5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bg5 Nf6 4.e3 Bg4 5.Bd3 g6 6.h3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Nb4 8.Bxf6 exf6 9.Bb5+ c6 10.Ba4 Qa5 11.Nc3 b5 12.Bb3 Rb8 13.Qxf6 Bg7 14.Qxg7 Ke7 15.O-O Qc7 16.a3 Na6 17.e4 b4 18.axb4 Nxb4 19.exd5 h6 20.d6+ Qxd6 21.Qxf7+

I can see hanging my Bishop on move 13 was a terrible mistake, but I can't see what the better move would have been.

Cheers

Kevin Bonham
28-09-2007, 08:26 AM
I can see hanging my Bishop on move 13 was a terrible mistake, but I can't see what the better move would have been.

There wasn't one because the terrible mistake was actually the previous move when you not only allowed the pawn on f6 to drop, but also moved the rook to b8, meaning that after Qxf6 if you play ...Rg8 then White wins the other rook with Qe5+. So after 12...Rb8 your position is already lost.

Actually white should have played Qxf6 the move before, attacking your rook, instead of bothering to save his bishop.

You invested too many moves in a premature queen-side attack that doesn't acheive anything when you should have been protecting your f-pawn and making your king safe. Certainly instead of ...Qa5 I would suggest ...Bg7 protecting the f-pawn and preparing castling.

Also ...Nc6 against d4 isn't the best unless you know what you are doing, because it blocks in the c-pawn which is often useful for shoring up the centre.

lithium
28-09-2007, 08:39 AM
Yeah, this is what I thought too. One of my biggest problems at the moment is that I'm too impatient and launch into attacks before I consolidate any kind of decent position in defence.

Cheers for the feedback mate, I'll be sure to take a look at your comments over the board tonight.

Thanks again!

likesforests
29-09-2007, 12:24 PM
Your tactical error was obvious, so I wanted to point out a couple moves made in this game that I consider strategically unsound.

5.Bd3? - Bg4 looks better, pinning your knight to your king. Also, Bd3 is vulnerable in some lines to Nb4.

5...g6? - This looks bad, because 6.Bxf6 hurts your position. If Bxf6, your pawns are doubled, you have to capture away from the center, Bg7 no longer gives you control of the center, and your king is on a half-open file. It also took away the option of withdrawing your bishop with Bh5.

If you look carefully, your attack on his queenside and his attack on your kingside sprung directly from these earlier strategic errors. So you could have saved yourself with better tactics or with better strategy.

Zwischenzug
29-09-2007, 07:56 PM
Hello everyone, after playing my first Standard comp game at the club last night (75 Mins + 30 secs per move)

This wouldn't happen to be the Parramatta Chess Championship would it? I was there at the time, my game was the one that finished earliest that night (I won :owned:, but only due to my opponent's poor play).

If I played 3...Nf6 I would be constantly worried of white's structure-ruining move Bxf6. I would have played g6, Bg5 then Nf6. Instead of 7...Nb4 I would have continued with Bg7. Why start action with your king still in the center? Especially with white having three pieces developed while you only have two out. At the beginning focus on developing and controlling/occupying the center. In general I think white had the center well occupied while black's center seemed a bit bare (looking at position at move 16).

I agree with Kevin about Nc6, at some point you would want to play c5 to contest white's center.

Kevin Bonham
29-09-2007, 07:58 PM
I agree with Kevin about Nc6, at some point you would want to play c5 to contest white's center.

Or often ...c6 as in a Slav or Semi-Slav, depending on what White has done.

lithium
30-09-2007, 10:25 AM
This wouldn't happen to be the Parramatta Chess Championship would it? I was there at the time, my game was the one that finished earliest that night (I won :owned:, but only due to my opponent's poor play).

Yeah mate, I was on table 12. ;)

I'm now taking the steps in getting my games analysed and learn from the mistakes.

Cheers for the feeback everyone, it's fantastic to get help from people in the know.

DanielBell
30-09-2007, 03:29 PM
Yeah mate, I was on table 12. ;)

I'm now taking the steps in getting my games analysed and learn from the mistakes.

Cheers for the feeback everyone, it's fantastic to get help from people in the know.

What's your name? (pm me if you want)

I'm new to competitive chess too and am playing in Parramatta Club Champs.. I lost my first game against Bob Sewell and Drew against Knud Neilsen..

lithium
01-10-2007, 10:00 PM
Ya goose DB, I'm just using my alternate nick ;)

(DMarinas)

lolz

DanielBell
01-10-2007, 10:56 PM
Ya goose DB, I'm just using my alternate nick ;)

(DMarinas)

lolz

Ok that clears things up :)