Entry Fees: Entry fees are only applicable for non-IM players

2350-2399 $100

2250-2349 $150

2150-2249 $250

Appearance Fees: International Masters $200

firegoat7
16-07-2004, 01:07 PM
Greetings,

Nick has put in a super effort to organise this event. It looks as if the event will be category four. The final field is almost completely confirmed. On behalf of MCC I hope to see all Victorian chessplayers watching live (well at least once) and for our interstate spectators MCC hopes to deliver DGT coverage. That is of course if we can get the boards from GURU-- Guru buddy, Can you hear us where are those DGTS, COOOWEEEEE!! are you still alive!

Cheers FG7

Garvinator
16-07-2004, 01:19 PM
That is of course if we can get the boards from GURU-- Guru buddy, Can you hear us where are those DGTS, COOOWEEEEE!! are you still alive!

Cheers FG7
i think atm you might want to look in the direction of Gary Bekker from my understanding of who might have dgt boards. ;)

PHAT
16-07-2004, 01:27 PM
Australian Masters 2004

Good luck! I hope it is a raging success.

I/we all hope that a few games in each round will be broadcast each round, in real time, with commentary and shout box.

Make sure EVERY PLAYER IN EVERY CHESS CLUB, in schools and clubs everywhere know it is on the net. And get it on the sports pages. You could ask sponsor - a chess enterprize - to cough up $0.01 cent per hit that comes via an advertised link. This would be in return for advertising space. Jeo might be able to help with the net setup.

Alan Shore
16-07-2004, 01:28 PM
Is there a site for it or a player list?

firegoat7
03-08-2004, 02:37 PM
Hello Everyone,

Australian Masters kicks off today at MCC, here is the link for live games. http://www.auschess.org.au/oceania/masters/tfd.htm

Fingers crossed that it all works. Let us know what you think.

Cheers FG7

Garvinator
03-08-2004, 02:42 PM
Hello Everyone,

Australian Masters kicks off today at MCC, here is the link for live games. http://www.auschess.org.au/oceania/masters/tfd.htm

Cheers FG7hello fg7, i just clicked on the link and it took me to the toma display, how do i view more than one game at a time, or alternate between games?

Rincewind
03-08-2004, 03:21 PM

Just quickly hit it and it looks good. Well done.

Garvinator
03-08-2004, 03:27 PM
Just quickly hit it and it looks good. Well done.
im seeing xie- smerdon, how do i view other games?

firegoat7
03-08-2004, 03:33 PM
Hello,

If your seeing what I am seeing you should be able to click on any game from the list of the flash display. let me know if this works.

Cheers

Garvinator
03-08-2004, 03:47 PM
Hello,

If your seeing what I am seeing you should be able to click on any game from the list of the flash display. let me know if this works.

Cheers
sorry fg7, but when i click on the link you provided, it takes me straight to toma flash display showing game xie- smerdon. I dont get any other options.

firegoat7
03-08-2004, 04:09 PM
Hi,

GG do u have a right scroll bar? Do you have all the names of the games displayed at the bottom of the page?

Garvinator
03-08-2004, 04:13 PM
Hi,

GG do u have a right scroll bar? Do you have all the names of the games displayed at the bottom of the page?
:doh: :doh: problem solved, my 15 inch screen just showed this game until i scrolled down. All the games are there below. thanks alot. :oops:

Oepty
03-08-2004, 06:46 PM
First round complete
Xie - Smerdon 0-1
Lee-Lim 0-1
Froehlich - Levi 1/2-1/2
Jordan - Canfell 0-1
West -Johansen 1-0
Rujevic - Pecori 1-0

The Xie-Smerdon, Lee-Lim and West-Johansen seemed to be the most interesting to me after a quick look.

Scott

firegoat7
03-08-2004, 07:00 PM
Hello everyone,

Interesting games and thank goodness the broadcast went ok. Gary Bekker should have the pgn games on the website tonight. Hope to hear from you all tommorow.

Cheers FG7

Bill Gletsos
03-08-2004, 07:14 PM
Did Jordan actually lose on time to Canfell as indicated by the display or did he just resign.

Bill Gletsos
03-08-2004, 07:15 PM
The Xie-Smerdon, Lee-Lim and West-Johansen seemed to be the most interesting to me after a quick look.
I agree.

Sutek
03-08-2004, 07:48 PM
Did Jordan actually lose on time to Canfell as indicated by the display or did he just resign.

Hi Bill,

I think he would have probably lost on time as Greg was down to about 5 minutes and it probably would be worth banging out a few more moves.

But of course white is now just 2 pawns down with perhaps only a earthquake capable of saving his position :)

I thought Greg played well as he was under a bit of pressure earlier and kept a cool head finding good and solid moves.

Regards
Sutek

Bill Gletsos
03-08-2004, 08:00 PM
Hi Bill,

I think he would have probably lost on time as Greg was down to about 5 minutes and it probably would be worth banging out a few more moves.
That was my impression too.

But of course white is now just 2 pawns down with perhaps only a earthquake capable of saving his position :)
Although anything can happen down Mexico way, earthquakes dont fit the profile. ;)

I thought Greg played well as he was under a bit of pressure earlier and kept a cool head finding good and solid moves.
Yes, Greg held up well.

Rhubarb
04-08-2004, 12:43 AM
Hi Steve, Bill, this is exactly right - Bill J. lost on time so looks like the technology's working perfectly. (:clap: MCC)

Yes, not just the 2 extra pawns but White's King is irrevocably weak and I'd managed to not get lower than 5 minutes for the previous few moves.

It was looking pretty bloody dodgy earlier though. After 14...h6 15.Bd2! Bill can combine Qg4 and Bb4-d6 threats and then just steamroll me in the centre. After 17. Ra3? I can safely go pawn-scabbing, as Bg5 en prise is always a liability in the complications.

Sutek
04-08-2004, 05:34 AM
Hi Steve, Bill, this is exactly right - Bill J. lost on time so looks like the technology's working perfectly. (:clap: MCC)

Yes, not just the 2 extra pawns but White's King is irrevocably weak and I'd managed to not get lower than 5 minutes for the previous few moves.

It was looking pretty bloody dodgy earlier though. After 14...h6 15.Bd2! Bill can combine Qg4 and Bb4-d6 threats and then just steamroll me in the centre. After 17. Ra3? I can safely go pawn-scabbing, as Bg5 en prise is always a liability in the complications.

Hi Greg,

If white wanted to sac he could also try 15.d5!? After 15...exd5 16.cxd5 Nxd5 white then brings his rooks to the c & d files and probably has compo?

Although what you you suggest is a safer course of action for white.

Regards
Sutek

Sutek
04-08-2004, 09:54 AM

Hi Greg/Bill G,

What is the story about norms in this tournament?
Are there enough overseas players??

http://www.fide.com/official/handbook.asp?level=B0101

Section 1.44a & b say you need 40% if you are from the host country and 33% if not from the host country?
Also have a look at section 1.7 d & e & f

Perhaps I'm missing something but there are only 3 out of 12 from overseas?

Regards
Sutek

Garvinator
04-08-2004, 03:11 PM
has round two started yet?

Garvinator
04-08-2004, 03:35 PM
has round two started yet?
thanks for everyones help on telling me whether they are seeing round two games or not.

Bill Gletsos
04-08-2004, 03:43 PM
thanks for everyones help on telling me whether they are seeing round two games or not.
Did it occur to you that no one is seeing them. ;)

Garvinator
04-08-2004, 03:48 PM
Did it occur to you that no one is seeing them. ;)
yes that did occur to me and i would have thought other ppl would have commented on that too. I should ring Gary Bekker and tell him. Maybe his mobile is on in the tournament hall :lol:

firegoat7
04-08-2004, 08:39 PM
Hi people,

A few technical difficulties today, sorry about that folks. These things happen when people are learning how to operate modern equipment. I apologise to everyone who was watching.

Cheers FG7

P.S Pecori-Smerdon was actually 0-1 not 1-0 :eek:

Alan Shore
04-08-2004, 10:21 PM
I was wondering, when was the last time Bill Jordan played a rated game?

jay_vee
04-08-2004, 10:46 PM
I was wondering, when was the last time Bill Jordan played a rated game?

As for FIDE-rated games, according to the FIDE ratings page, he has played 3 games in the April 2002 ratings period.

Bill Gletsos
04-08-2004, 11:53 PM
The Johansen- Xie and Lim - Froehlich games looked like non events.

Recherché
05-08-2004, 11:28 AM
Surely there has been a recording error in Johansen-Xie from yesterday? The moves as currently listed by the flash display and the website (http://www.auschess.org.au/oceania/games/2004masters2.htm) would seem to allow 22. Nxe7 after 21. ...Bg8, leaving Johansen a full queen up. Instead we have 22. Ne3 1/2-1/2 listed; such an outrageous double-blunder seems wholly implausible.

There would seem to be a pair of moves missing. Either with black moving the Queen moving from e7, or perhaps something like 21. ...Nxd5 22. cxd5 Bg8.

Does anyone have the correct moves?

arosar
05-08-2004, 02:15 PM
Hey fellas, is it possible to get a title norm from this event?

Gooooo....Gregsy!

AR

Recherché
05-08-2004, 03:28 PM
^ They claimed it was an IM norm event, however that was before the entries were finalised.

I've checked the regulations on the FIDE website; all the requirements for an IM norm seem to be satisfied (assuming the player wins enough games to reach the necessary performance rating), with the exception of the requirement for 40% of the players to come from a federation other than the host federation (as mentioned earlier in this thread).

While a norm can be earned with only part of the results from a tournament, in order to get 40% with only 3 international players, only seven games could be counted, however 9 are required for a norm in this sort of tournament.

It is possible the geographical isolation of Australia means that the rules are slightly relaxed with regards to "international content". It is also possible I'm misreading the rules.

Sutek
05-08-2004, 03:57 PM
I just got word from Keg in Melbourne that round 3 games...

Froehlich v Canfell
and
Smerdon v Johansen

games don't start to 6pm today.

Cheers
Sutek

Recherché
05-08-2004, 04:04 PM
^ That's a shame, I was looking forward to watching those two, particularly the second.

arosar
05-08-2004, 04:05 PM
Hey Rechie mate, can you post the URLs where you're reading these mate?

Cheers,

AR

Sutek
05-08-2004, 04:13 PM
Hey Rechie mate, can you post the URLs where you're reading these mate?

Cheers,

AR

See my earlier post on the previous page which has a link and some info.

Regards
Sutek

arosar
05-08-2004, 04:43 PM
Yeah....cheers mate. My inside info is that it is not possible to earn a norm from this tournament.

AR

Recherché
05-08-2004, 05:00 PM
It seems there are some technical problems down at the MCC again today. The broadcast has been static for the best part of an hour now.

Garvinator
05-08-2004, 06:19 PM
It seems there are some technical problems down at the MCC again today. The broadcast has been static for the best part of an hour now.
and is still not working :hmm:

Bill Gletsos
05-08-2004, 07:26 PM
Yeah....cheers mate. My inside info is that it is not possible to earn a norm from this tournament.

AR
I think that is only partly correct.

The critical requirements are as follows.
Firstly 50% of a players opponents must be either IM's or GM's. There are 5 such players in this event. Therfore for a player to be eligible for a norm they need to play all 5 titled players.

The next requirement depends on the players federation and that of his opponents.

No Australian can earn a norm as they need to play 5 opponents from other federations which is impossible.

For players whose federation is not AUS they need to play 4 players from other feds (which is impossible) and also play at least 3 who are not from the same federation (which is also impossible).

However if you only count the first 9 rounds then although no Australian can make a norm, I believe Lim Yee Weng and Wang-Shen Lee are eligible provided they only play Australians in the last 2 rounds.
This is because the requirements then become3 players from other federations and 2 opponents who are not from the same federation.

Of course the other conditions still apply so those two OS players would still need to play all 5 titled players in the first 9 rounds and as well as all the OS players.

I havent looked at the draw in detail enough, but I suspect that the above although feasible in theory is impossible in practice.

Now there used to be two sorts of norms. Category norms and Performance norms.
For Category norms you add up the ratings of all players and divide by the number of players.
For this tournament this is 2325.5 which equals 2326 in the calculations.
This means you need 6/9 for a IM Category norm.
Interestingly if the average rating was 2325 then the score required for a IM Category norm is 6.5/9.

For performance norms it varies from player to player because it is based on the average rating of your opponents.

However the latest rules regarding norms on the FIDE web site no longer make mention Category/performance norms. It appears however they have abolished Category norms.

Now you simply take the average rating of your opponents and look it up in the tables provided.

Bill Gletsos
05-08-2004, 08:21 PM
The displays are correct now.
The 2 late starting games are still in progress.

Garvinator
06-08-2004, 01:03 AM
The displays are correct now.
The 2 late starting games are still in progress.
it looks like the connection was lost again as the result of the two late starting games has just stopped at about move 30.

Bill Gletsos
06-08-2004, 12:23 PM
it looks like the connection was lost again as the result of the two late starting games has just stopped at about move 30.
Yes, I noticed that was true late last night.

firegoat7
06-08-2004, 03:55 PM
Hello Everyone,

Yes there has been some problems with our internet provider. These problems have been fixed, sorry about the delays. I can assure you they are not deliberate. We will try to bring you the games everyday, but if its not possible then please be patient. We are afterall basically learning "how to do" through practical experience with volunteers. My thanks is extended to Gary Bekker for his helpful guidance :clap:

Furthermore, one of the ACF boards is faulty, which adds to the difficulty. Anyway I think most of the problems have been fixed.

Cheers FG7

firegoat7
06-08-2004, 04:02 PM
Hello,

In regards to the Johansen-Xie game the last three moves were typos caused by analysis. Dgts require that the result be registered before analysis begins, chessplayers being human sometimes forget this. Busy bulletin compilers often fail to notice these things when rushing around trying to meet deadlines. Sorry we are humans.

But, thanks for pointing these errors out.It helps to make the historical record accurate.

Cheers FG7

Alan Shore
06-08-2004, 04:05 PM
P.S Pecori-Smerdon was actually 0-1 not 1-0 :eek:

Are you sure about this? The results are still saying otherwise even after all this time...

firegoat7
06-08-2004, 04:16 PM
Hi,

I sent the new pgn file to gary. Im sure he is aware of the situation and will fix it when he has time.

Bill Gletsos
06-08-2004, 11:54 PM
Well Johansen's game was the last to finish.

I havent looked at it closely enough to see if Pecori could have held it prior to allowing Johansen's Ke6. It was all over after Qc3.

Bill Gletsos
06-08-2004, 11:58 PM
Froehlich ground down Rujevic nicely with the two bishops.

firegoat7
07-08-2004, 04:01 PM
Hi Everyone,

Your sitting there everything is organised, when suddenly a fuse blows, with half the lighting in the tournament room going out. After 45 minutes of unsuccessfullyattempting to regain lighting,a decision is made. Move 4 boards to another room, albeit without transmission. So sorry folks, only 2 games today. I will endeavour to bring you the rest when they finish.

Cheers FG7

Bill Gletsos
07-08-2004, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the information fg7.
Its appreciated.

Garvinator
07-08-2004, 09:05 PM
with how Greg Canfell is going at the aussie masters, can he get a im norm from this tournament?

Bill Gletsos
07-08-2004, 10:11 PM
with how Greg Canfell is going at the aussie masters, can he get a im norm from this tournament?
Dont you pay any attention GG. :whistle:
Its been pointed out numerous times that an im norm is impossible under any circumstances for the aussies and highly unlikely for the os contingent.

BTW how is that your post count went up by 3 even though you only made one additional post.

Are you posting to restricted forums.

Garvinator
07-08-2004, 10:25 PM
Dont you pay any attention GG. :whistle:
just thought i would ask again :owned: you know post count and all :P

Bill Gletsos
07-08-2004, 11:37 PM
just thought i would ask again :owned: you know post count and all :P
I'll take the fact you ignored my comment re restricted forums as a confirmation I am correct. ;)

Garvinator
07-08-2004, 11:39 PM
I'll take the fact you ignored my comment re restricted forums as a confirmation I am correct. ;)
or maybe that i didnt want to get starter going with more post count claims by reducing the amount of posts on it to a complete minimum.

Bill Gletsos
08-08-2004, 12:02 AM
with how Greg Canfell is going at the aussie masters,
That looked a good game by Greg. I'm at a loss to see why Xie played 27. Qe2.

Rujevic looked all over Westand and Levi always looked like he would eventually be outmaneouvered and over run by Johansen.

Garvinator
08-08-2004, 12:25 PM
not quite the australian masters for this question but relates to norm titles. Almira Skripchenko just won the ural womens tournament. Almira claims in an interview that had she won her last game of the tournament, she would have made a male GM norm.

Is this possible from a female only event?

Bill Gletsos
08-08-2004, 12:38 PM
not quite the australian masters for this question but relates to norm titles. Almira Skripchenko just won the ural womens tournament. Almira claims in an interview that had she won her last game of the tournament, she would have made a male GM norm.

Is this possible from a female only event?
Its possible.
The regulations dont mention sex as a requirement.
They mention titles.
For a GM norm you need to play at least 3 other GM's.

However in this particular case I dont know if there are 3 GM's in it.
Without checking the out all the participants I know two of her opponents Steanova and Chiburdanizde have the male GM title.

Garvinator
08-08-2004, 12:50 PM
Steanova and Chiburdanizde have the male GM title.nice edit ;) they were the only two i could find checking the participants. It appears that only two gms played in total as almira is an IM.

firegoat7
08-08-2004, 04:11 PM
Smerdon leading on 4 1/2.Official site wrong at the moment.
Jordan-West start delayed until 5.30.

Paying for electricians on Sunday is expensive :eek:

Bill Gletsos
08-08-2004, 04:27 PM
nice edit ;) they were the only two i could find checking the participants. It appears that only two gms played in total as almira is an IM.
I posted from memory.
I quickly checked the event and edit my post.
All before you replied. ;)

Garvinator
08-08-2004, 05:27 PM
come on greg, you can find d4

Bill Gletsos
08-08-2004, 05:34 PM
come on greg, you can find d4
Apparently not.
He does not play like Fritz. ;)

Garvinator
08-08-2004, 05:56 PM
Apparently not.
He does not play like Fritz. ;)
oh dear fritz didnt like Nxc6 that is for sure.

Bill Gletsos
08-08-2004, 06:10 PM
oh dear fritz didnt like Nxc6 that is for sure.
Yes he is in all sorts of trouble.

Bill Gletsos
08-08-2004, 06:11 PM
Pecori was easily winning against Levi, until he missed playing 23. Re3.

Garvinator
08-08-2004, 06:24 PM
Yes he is in all sorts of trouble.
0-1 smerdon.

Bill Gletsos
08-08-2004, 07:42 PM
And Levi beat Pecori.
45. Kh3 stopping Kg4 was the best chance at holding.

Bill Gletsos
08-08-2004, 08:10 PM
Smerdon leading on 4 1/2.Official site wrong at the moment.
Hopefully Gary will get his SP files updated fairly soon so the crosstable is correct.

Bill Gletsos
08-08-2004, 11:50 PM
Well in the Canfell V Smerdon game it appears 16. d4 was the best move for Greg. It was also still the best at move 17. 18. Ng6 was better than 18. Nf2.
However it was 19. Nc6 that was losing. 19. Neg4 was a much better move.

Garvinator
09-08-2004, 12:11 AM
Well in the Canfell V Smerdon game it appears 16. d4 was the best move for Greg. It was also still the best at move 17. 18. Ng6 was better than 18. Nf2.
However it was 19. Nc6 that was losing. 19. Neg4 was a much better move.
that really looks like a fritz analysis :cool:

Bill Gletsos
09-08-2004, 12:19 AM
that really looks like a fritz analysis :cool:
Some of it was, and some of it was just confirmed by fritz.

firegoat7
10-08-2004, 04:16 PM
Hello Everyone,

Problems with software meant the telecast was delayed one hour. Still learning new stuff. Everything on rtack now. Jordan forfeited to Xie(nobody knows the reason yet). Johansen-Canfell and Froehlich-Pecori to start at 6pm.

Cheers FG7

Garvinator
10-08-2004, 04:18 PM
Hello Everyone,

Problems with software meant the telecast was delayed one hour. Still learning new stuff. Everything on rtack now. Jordan forfeited to Xie(nobody knows the reason yet). Johansen-Canfell and Froehlich-Pecori to start at 6pm.

Cheers FG7
has the power been fixed?

Bill Gletsos
10-08-2004, 04:24 PM
has the power been fixed?
Perhaps they are running the DGT boards off batteries. ;)

Garvinator
10-08-2004, 04:48 PM
Perhaps they are running the DGT boards off batteries. ;)
you never know in mexico ;) ;) :lol:

firegoat7
10-08-2004, 05:52 PM
Hi,

We had a problem re-installing Toma. It needed to be re-installed because there was a transmission problem with the website. This occurred last night when we tried to televise a game from Rd10 Rujevic-Lim that was being played in advance. Unfortunately the re-install did not go smoothly, hence the delay. But the positive side is that, for me at least, my understanding of how the software program works has been increased. Of course this is little consolation for anyone who is watching. My apologies.

Cheers FG7
P.S Lim beat Rujevic as black. Can anyone believe how many wins have gone to Black in this tournament?

Garvinator
10-08-2004, 05:55 PM
Hi,

We had a problem re-installing Toma. It needed to be re-installed because there was a transmission problem with the website. This occurred last night when we tried to televise a game from Rd10 Rujevic-Lim that was being played in advance. Unfortunately the re-install did not go smoothly, hence the delay. But the positive side is that, for me at least, my understanding of how the software program works has been increased. Of course this is little consolation for anyone who is watching. My apologies.

Cheers FG7
P.S Lim beat Rujevic as black. Can anyone believe how many wins have gone to Black in this tournament?
its a good learning experience for me as ill probably doing the dgt stuff at mt buller.

Bill Gletsos
10-08-2004, 05:59 PM
I notice that the crosstable is now correct.

Bill Gletsos
10-08-2004, 07:24 PM
Well Smerdons going to maintain at least a 1.5 point lead having beaten Rujevic and 2 points if Canfell cannot beat Johansen.

Garvinator
10-08-2004, 07:26 PM
Well Smerdons going to maintain at least a 1.5 point lead having beaten Rujevic and 2 points if Canfell cannot beat Johansen.
it appears that canfell is going to win or go down fighting, choosing the tarrasch defence :cool:

Oepty
10-08-2004, 07:30 PM
I think Mark Chapman beat Johansen with the Tarrasch in the last round of the Australian Champs earlier this year.
Scott

Bill Gletsos
10-08-2004, 07:33 PM
it appears that canfell is going to win or go down fighting, choosing the tarrasch defence :cool:
I didnt like 12...b6.

Alan Shore
10-08-2004, 08:01 PM

6.5/7 that's quite phenomenal for Smurf! Looks like his Olympiad selection has certainly now been justifiable.

Garvinator
10-08-2004, 08:05 PM
6.5/7 that's quite phenomenal for Smurf! Looks like his Olympiad selection has certainly now been justifiable.
but wallace appeal still pending, is that correct?

Bill Gletsos
10-08-2004, 08:09 PM
but wallace appeal still pending, is that correct?
As I understand it yes.
Also I dont believe the appeals committee can use results played after the original date for the deadline for submissions.

Garvinator
10-08-2004, 08:25 PM
As I understand it yes.
Also I dont believe the appeals committee can use results played after the original date for the deadline for submissions.
even though i know very little about the olympiad selection process except what has been said on here, i would be highly surprised if they could use results after the closing date for applications.

Bill Gletsos
10-08-2004, 09:13 PM
Johansen missed 27. Rd6 which appears to be winning.

Bill Gletsos
10-08-2004, 09:27 PM
Well it looks like Johansen will win this.

Oepty
12-08-2004, 03:01 PM
Why did Bill Jordan not turn up to his round 7 game? Did he have a genuine reason for forfeiting?
Scott

Bill Gletsos
12-08-2004, 07:20 PM
So someone has finally beaten Smerdon.
Lee-Weng Sheng beat him as Black.
Smerdon should have played 33. Bd5 instead of the losing Bc7.

Rincewind
12-08-2004, 07:56 PM
So someone has finally beaten Smerdon.
Lee-Weng Sheng beat him as Black.
Smerdon should have played 33. Bd5 instead of the losing Bc7.

Ascaro has scored 1/2 a point too - with a draw against IM West.

firegoat7
13-08-2004, 03:39 PM
In regards to Xie-Jordan there was a mix up in the starting times. They both agreed to play the game as acatch up but changed their minds after losses last night.

Poor Greg might have the same thing happen today with his game against Mirko.

cheers FG7

Lucena
13-08-2004, 03:56 PM
What happened with Johansen-Froelich?

Bill Gletsos
13-08-2004, 06:36 PM
What happened with Johansen-Froelich?
Looks like it was just a late starter.

Bill Gletsos
13-08-2004, 11:56 PM
Johansen was better but 28. Qb6 was a real howler by Froehilch.

Bill Gletsos
14-08-2004, 12:50 AM
So with a round to go Smerdon leads by a point from Johansen who has made a good comback after a poor start.

firegoat7
14-08-2004, 03:01 PM
Hi everyone,

Greg Canfell is in line for an IM norm today. He plays Ascaro Pecori in the last round.

Cheers FG7

Recherché
14-08-2004, 03:24 PM
Hi everyone,

Greg Canfell is in line for an IM norm today. He plays Ascaro Pecori in the last round.

Cheers FG7
The consensus earlier in this thread seemed to be that there weren't sufficient international players in this tournament for an Australian to gain an IM norm. What information do you have which contradicts this?

Recherché
14-08-2004, 04:02 PM
Hmm. The 10 move Froehlich-Smerdon draw in the final round today is a bit disappointing, I was looking forward to that game. The website has gotten behind, so I'm not sure what the cross table looks like, but I would have expected Froehlich to have a little more to fight for than that.

The draw guarantees Smerdon outright first though, doesn't it?

Smerdon-Froehlich in the final round of the Victorian Open Championship this year (held over the Queen's Birthday weekend at Box Hill Chess Club) was also a fairly short draw in terms of the number of moves (about 16 or 17, if memory serves), but it was a much more interesting game.

arosar
14-08-2004, 05:22 PM
The consensus earlier in this thread seemed to be that there weren't sufficient international players in this tournament for an Australian to gain an IM norm. What information do you have which contradicts this?

There was no consensus, I think. Some say a title norm is possible, others say it's not. It's a ll a bit confusing.

AR

Bill Gletsos
14-08-2004, 05:47 PM
There was no consensus, I think. Some say a title norm is possible, others say it's not. It's a ll a bit confusing.

AR
Peter Parr and I discussed this at length last week.
We are both of the opinion that according to the latest regulations on the FIDE web site, no IM titles are possible.

Recherché
14-08-2004, 05:49 PM

Nobody (in this thread, at any rate) has claimed that it was possible for an Australian to gain an IM norm from the event, prior to firegoat7 claiming Greg Canfell was in line for one in the post I responded to.

firegoat7
14-08-2004, 06:47 PM
Have a closer look at what I posted.

firegoat7
14-08-2004, 06:49 PM
Besides this game is going right down to the wire. Pecori is fighting hard!

Cheers FG7

Bill Gletsos
14-08-2004, 07:26 PM
Have a closer look at what I posted.
Instead of speaking in riddles explain how Canfell can be in line for an IM norm when the tournament does not meet the FIDE regulations requirements for title tournaments.

Garvinator
14-08-2004, 07:33 PM
Instead of speaking in riddles explain how Canfell can be in line for an IM norm when the tournament does not meet the FIDE regulations requirements for title tournaments.
firegoats title for his post was dubious norm

Bill Gletsos
14-08-2004, 07:39 PM
firegoats title for his post was dubious norm
I'm aware of that.
There is no point having a title saying dubious norm then saying in the body of the post that Canfell can get an IM norm.

Thats why I said stop talking in riddles.

In fact if the guru was talking such gobbledygook fg7 would be all over him.

jeffrei
17-08-2004, 10:48 AM
Congratulations to FG7 and NickSpeck and the rest of the MCC folks for organizing such an excellent event!

Does FG7 or anyone else know if the MCC is planning to run the Xmas Swiss weekender this year? It'd be a pity if the Xmas Swiss (run at Chess World in 2003) didn't go ahead in 2004, since the Aus Open and Aus Juniors are being held in Victoria early next year, and therefore organizers will surely be able to rely on people wanting to get more practice around December. I'm very confident that a large number of juniors from BHCC would be keen to play, not to mention some adults too.

firegoat7
17-08-2004, 09:37 PM
Hi everyone,

Thanks jeff its often hard to know if an event was a success or not when your down in the trenches.

In regards to the Xmas swiss, Mcc has scheduled an event called the Immanuel open, an open weekender that is scheuled for the last weekend before christmass.

Possibly if anybody from ChessVictoria was to contact MCC, then I am sure MCC may be interested in hosting the Xmas Swiss. We could certainly re-organise our calender.

As I pointed out to Starter a number of monthes ago, nobody from MCC has seen a bidding form for events all year at MCC. Possibly somebody from ChessVictoria may have some idea about 'correct protocol'.

cheers FG7

P.S It would be great for the Melbourne juniors to test their mettle against the Box Hill juniors.

jeffrei
17-08-2004, 09:47 PM
In regards to the Xmas swiss, Mcc has scheduled an event called the Immanuel open, an open weekender that is scheuled for the last weekend before christmass.

Possibly if anybody from ChessVictoria was to contact MCC, then I am sure MCC may be interested in hosting the Xmas Swiss. We could certainly re-organise our calender.

That would be 18-19 December...Brunswick Street in summer sounds good to me! Starter, feel like playing intermediary? Victoria has lost quite a few weekenders over the past decade or so (e.g. Best In The West, Albury Open, Geelong Open), and it'd be a shame if these one fell off as well. I remember in the early-to-mid nineties it was held at the MCC several times.

P.S It would be great for the Melbourne juniors to test their mettle against the Box Hill juniors.

Agreed. I heard from Ibrahim Ogada-Osir that there was a junior program at MCC that was going well. I think this is the way for the MCC to go with regard to building up numbers to the levels previously enjoyed. It'd be great to see a friendly rivalry developing between BHCC juniors and MCC juniors! :)

Rhubarb
17-08-2004, 09:53 PM
I'm aware of that.
There is no point having a title saying dubious norm then saying in the body of the post that Canfell can get an IM norm.

Thats why I said stop talking in riddles.

In fact if the guru was talking such gobbledygook fg7 would be all over him.

Bill, I'm not sure why you're having a go at fg7 about this (must be some run-in from the past) but there was nothing wrong with his post - I believe I even told firegoat before the round that I needed a win for a dubious norm, and that it may still pass muster with FIDE's Qualifications Commission if it were to be accompanied by two 100% correct norms. If that turns out to be the case, then a dubious norm is just as good as any other norm, and therefore there was no "gobbledygook" in his post.

At that time, however, I did not realise that I was already sitting on a dubious norm with 6.5/10, and that the game against Ascaro was essentially irrelevant in terms of norms (I had thought that in a round-robin, you could only discount games towards a norm if you had won them and after the tournament finishes, but FIDE have basically abolished any notions of categories or "complete" tournaments and you can count the first 9-or-more games of any tournament as a norm, regardless of subsequent results (Peter Parr told me this when I spoke to him this afternoon and I have confirmed it with FIDE's online handbook).

So for the 10-game norm, the requirements for titled players (1 GM, 4 IMs, 3 FMs, which is well over the minimum requirement of 3 IMs, 2 FMs), rated players, score, rating performance, and number of federations have all been fulfilled, and in some cases exceeded. The only piece missing is the number of players from other federations, which is three instead of the requisite four.

Now, given that it was obviously the intention of the organisers to run an international IM-norm tournament and that the arrangements of one or more of the international players fell through, given the difficulty and expense of obtaining overseas players to such tournaments in Australia (as Recherché pointed out earlier), given that the 40%-from-other-federations rule is largely there to prevent tournaments where the fix is in, and given that Australia has no reputation whatsoever of running fixed tournaments, FIDE, in their beneficent wisdom, may allow this one through, which would tend to contradict your claim that it is "impossible" for an Australian to score an IM norm in this tournament.

Regards,
Greg

Bill Gletsos
17-08-2004, 10:29 PM
Bill, I'm not sure why you're having a go at fg7 about this (must be some run-in from the past) but there was nothing wrong with his post - I believe I even told firegoat before the round that I needed a win for a dubious norm, and that it may still pass muster with FIDE's Qualifications Commission if it were to be accompanied by two 100% correct norms. If that turns out to be the case, then a dubious norm is just as good as any other norm, and therefore there was no "gobbledygook" in his post.
Hi Greg,
I was just pointing out that his wording was contradictory and that he would have hammered the guru like a nail if the guru had said it. ;)
Also I had it on good authority (Peter Parr) that no norm was possible from the event which matched my reading of the regulations.

At that time, however, I did not realise that I was already sitting on a dubious norm with 6.5/10, and that the game against Ascaro was essentially irrelevant in terms of norms (I had thought that in a round-robin, you could only discount games towards a norm if you had won them and after the tournament finishes, but FIDE have basically abolished any notions of categories or "complete" tournaments and you can count the first 9-or-more games of any tournament as a norm, regardless of subsequent results (Peter Parr told me this when I spoke to him this afternoon and I have confirmed it with FIDE's online handbook).
Yes he and I were aware that they had abolished any notion of categories when we dicussed this over a week ago.

So for the 10-game norm, the requirements for titled players (1 GM, 4 IMs, 3 FMs, which is well over the minimum requirement of 3 IMs, 2 FMs), rated players, score, rating performance, and number of federations have all been fulfilled, and in some cases exceeded. The only piece missing is the number of players from other federations, which is three instead of the requisite four.
Yes, this was the part that Peter and I believed meant that no norm was possible.

Now, given that it was obviously the intention of the organisers to run an international IM-norm tournament and that the arrangements of one or more of the international players fell through, given the difficulty and expense of obtaining overseas players to such tournaments in Australia (as Recherché pointed out earlier), given that the 40%-from-other-federations rule is largely there to prevent tournaments where the fix is in, and given that Australia has no reputation whatsoever of running fixed tournaments, FIDE, in their beneficent wisdom, may allow this one through, which would tend to contradict your claim that it is "impossible" for an Australian to score an IM norm in this tournament.
Well as I said acording to both my reading of the regulations and also Peter's it was "impossible" to score an IM norm.
Now if FIDE relax the regulations then thats another thing entirely.

Rhubarb
17-08-2004, 11:25 PM
Bill,

Apart from your gross error earlier on this thread concerning what actually constitutes a titled player, everything you say is "100% correct". It is "impossible" under the letter of the law for this to count as an IM norm.

However, not everyone, including members of FIDE's Qualifications Commission if past form is any indication, see everything in black-and-white. They may decide that the intention of the law has been completely fulfilled in terms of strength of performance and titled players, and that it was from a tournament that was unquestionably above-board, and that the only deficiency (minor at the best of times) may be irrelevant in this case, given the points in my previous post. Such matters, of course, are for FIDE to decide, on a case-by-case basis, and not for you or I.

When you go around insisting that it is "impossible" to get an IM norm, I have to respond that it is still possible to get a norm that counts.

Regards,
Greg

Garvinator
17-08-2004, 11:28 PM
Greg,

Do you have two im norms previously and if granted this norm will actually make you an international master :cool:

Rhubarb
17-08-2004, 11:51 PM
Greg,

Do you have two im norms previously and if granted this norm will actually make you an international master :cool:

gg, no I only have one previous norm (12 games, 100% legit), but I've had more than my share of near misses so I'm a little tetchy on the subject... :mad:

Bill Gletsos
18-08-2004, 12:13 AM
Bill,

Apart from your gross error earlier on this thread concerning what actually constitutes a titled player, everything you say is "100% correct".
Hi Greg,
Yes, I shouldnt have tried to merge two points into one. All I did was completely stuff it up so that neither statement was true.
What I should have said is:
At least 50% of a players opponents must consist of GMs, IMs and FMs.
However to achive an IM norm you need to play at least 2 GMs, 2 IMs and 1 GM, or 3 IMs.

It is "impossible" under the letter of the law for this to count as an IM norm.
I think thats all I have either said or implied.

However, not everyone, including members of FIDE's Qualifications Commission if past form is any indication, see everything in black-and-white. They may decide that the intention of the law has been completely fulfilled in terms of strength of performance and titled players, and that it was from a tournament that was unquestionably above-board, and that the only deficiency (minor at the best of times) may be irrelevant in this case, given the points in my previous post. Such matters, of course, are for FIDE to decide, on a case-by-case basis, and not for you or I.
I agree.

When you go around insisting that it is "impossible" to get an IM norm, I have to respond that it is still possible to get a norm that counts.
I have only suggested that it is "impossible" in line with the regulations.

Regards,
Bill

Rhubarb
18-08-2004, 01:10 AM
Then we're essentially in agreement, Bill.

If and/or when I submit an application to FIDE, it will be up to them decide.