PDA

View Full Version : Another game of diplomacy?

Desmond
27-07-2007, 09:17 AM
Soooooo .... are we playing again or what?

Rincewind
27-07-2007, 09:44 AM
How many starters do we have?

Basil
27-07-2007, 09:50 AM
Could you ask that in a different way please?

bergil
27-07-2007, 04:45 PM
Could you ask that in a different way please?
ROTFLMAO :clap: I'll play again.

Desmond
28-07-2007, 10:33 AM
In
Boris
bergil
Rincewind

Procrastinating, spectating so-and-so's
Gunner
Garvinazi

Basil
28-07-2007, 10:39 AM
And what about frog?

He owes the BB a game (and someone (anyone) a brilliancy prize :lol:)

Rincewind
28-07-2007, 11:57 AM
And what about frog?

He owes the BB a game (and someone (anyone) a brilliancy prize :lol:)

He's OS ATM.

Rincewind
24-08-2007, 06:11 PM
In
Boris
bergil
Rincewind

Procrastinating, spectating so-and-so's
Gunner
Garvinazi

Frog is back from OS and tells me he is keen to play. Can we round up 7 players?

With frog in the mix we are still one short even assuming we can convince both of the procrastinating spectators to play.

ARE THERE ANY OTHERS?

bergil
24-08-2007, 09:05 PM
Frog is back from OS and tells me he is keen to play. Can we round up 7 players?

With frog in the mix we are still one short even assuming we can convince both of the procrastinating spectators to play.

ARE THERE ANY OTHERS?I'm still interested.

frog
28-08-2007, 10:49 AM
Hi All,

Im definitely keen to play!

Rincewind
07-09-2007, 11:22 AM
Looks like we have four players: bergil, Boris, frog and me.

I'd like to play this time ideally we'd like a 5th person to run the game. Any volunteers?

Alternatively I could run the game provided we had some way for me to submit moves without seeing everyone else's moves and a clearly defined dispute resolution process.

Options are to play a 3 or 4 player scenario as per the rules:

4 player: 1 person plays England, the other 3 play the pairs Austria/France, Germany/Turkey, Italy/Russia.

3 player: 1 player controls England/Germany/Austria, the others control Russia/Italy and France/Turkey.

Alternatively, we can go for one government per player and fill remaining positions with computer controlled players (as we did in the first game) which has the advantage of being able to let new players into the game or backfill for players who drop out with minimal interference to the balance of the game. However, has the downside of perhaps a computer "winning".

I'm sure if press was permitted in the game then the computer players should find it hard going against 3 or 4 humans unless diplomacy was to breakdown between all the humans very early on in the piece (no pun intended).

What are your feelings?

CameronD
07-09-2007, 12:23 PM
I'm not playing.
But if you want, everyone could PM the moves to me, I'll post them at the deadline and rincewind can then compute them.

CameronD
07-09-2007, 12:23 PM
I'm not playing.
But if you want, everyone could PM the moves to me, I'll post them at the deadline and rincewind can then compute them.

Basil
07-09-2007, 12:49 PM
Say again?

Rincewind
07-09-2007, 02:05 PM
I'm not playing.

Thanks Cameron. That would work for the moves (provided people are happy that you aren't a hydra of me, of course :) ).

How about disputes? What I did last time was I had two separate programs checking the order resolution. However I was already doing some preliminary checking of provinces that people were specifying and alerting of potential problems as it was an intro game. If Cameron that wouldn't be done and people would need to ensure that their orders are correctly specified and unambiguous.

In terms of order resolution, I'm happy to let jDip resolve the orders and take its judgment on everything. I didn't pick up any problems with its order resolution code, though a bug might exist. Perhaps people could dispute the resolution of orders provided they can show an unequivocal error in the jDip algorithm.

Thoughts?

frog
07-09-2007, 03:27 PM
Hi All,

If there could be no computor players that would be great and we simply follow the Dip recommendations for numbers of players. I know Rince you dont like that very much but no system is perfect and the distribution of countries as per Dip I believe is preferrable to computor players.

If only 4 players I believe the first option as per post 11 I think is best.

Regards

Desmond
07-09-2007, 07:58 PM
Caaaarrnnn and play gunner, this voyeurism is a little off-putting

frog
14-09-2007, 02:38 PM
Hi All,

I guess there isnt a lot of interest in having another dip game?

If someone wants to organise one just post here on this thread or send me PM and I will play.

I guess I will have to wait till 29th September to have a live game with some mates - I was hoping to have one going with you guys - oh well?!

Kruupy
14-09-2007, 09:55 PM
HI,

I will play diplomacy - count me in!!!!!!

From Kruupy.

bergil
15-09-2007, 03:39 AM
HI,

I will play diplomacy - count me in!!!!!!

From Kruupy.:clap: 5 should be enough to start?

bergil
18-09-2007, 10:26 AM
:clap: 5 should be enough to start?Can we start now?

Rincewind
18-09-2007, 05:44 PM
Ok.

CameronD,

If you are still interested in running the admin side of things we will need to randomly allocate the 5 players...

bergil, Boris, frog and Kruupy and Rincewind.

to the following sides...

England, Russia, Turkey, Austria-Hungary and France.

For the benefit of the players...

Germany and Italy units and supply centres are in the game and the units are always ordered to hold. If forced to retreat they are automatically disbanded.

The first year of play is nominally 1801 and we are in effect playing a Napoleonic. :)

CameronD
18-09-2007, 06:07 PM
Countries allocated by lot (die roll)

Bergil - Turkey
Boris - France
Frog - Russia
Kruppy - Austria-Hungary
Rincewood - England

All moves must be sent to me as at the code in the diplomacy#1 thread and sent in a simple manner so that I can copy/paste them. I have never played diplomacy, if you send me an illegal move, I wont know and the player must accept responsibility,I'm just the middle man.

Could Boris, Frog and Kruppy leave a post confirming that your playing and then we can get started.

Rincewind
18-09-2007, 10:37 PM
Further I assume we are playing a full press version this time. So discussion between players is not only allowed, it is strongly encouraged and in fact you might find i difficult to win without it. That being the case we may need longer between order deadlines than in the last game. What do the players think? Maybe 4 days for the first few turns?

frog
19-09-2007, 10:38 AM
Hi All,

Yes I will definitely play!

Rincewind
19-09-2007, 11:42 AM
Sydney based diplomacy players might be interested in the following tournament over the October long weekend.

http://www.daanz.org.au/dip-tournaments.htm#syd2007

frog
26-09-2007, 05:00 PM
Hi All,

Looks like we havent got anyone to actually run this game - I got very interested when it looked like we were playing but I guess its not going to happen.
Just my luck to be doing something else for a while if this game ever starts and missing it. Oh well - never mind.

Desmond
29-11-2007, 07:17 PM
ahem :uhoh:

frog
30-11-2007, 02:25 PM
Hi Boris,

Im still interested in playing but as I said a couple of months ago I dont think there is anyone willing to run the game. Such is life eh.

Kindest regards

bergil
30-11-2007, 04:37 PM
Hi Boris,

Im still interested in playing but as I said a couple of months ago I dont think there is anyone willing to run the game. Such is life eh.

Kindest regardsI'll play if its on.

frog
06-12-2007, 08:58 AM
Hi All,

From previous posts i see Rince was willing to run the game but the moves had to be sent to someone else then on mass sent to Rince who wanted to play in a full dip game - this would have been fine by me and all other players i assume who wanted to play. I guess either the person acting as mailbox or Rince ran out of motivation or time - understandable as we are all busy but nevertheless a pity!

regards to ALL