PDA

View Full Version : Liverpool Chess International 2007 UK vs China

Kruupy
06-09-2007, 11:48 PM
Hi all,

New to the scene of live chess coverage however I have been watching this tournament quite heavily. China apparently beat Russia, although I'm not sure of the final scoring and now they are on top of the UK 10-6!

In particular I've been watching GM Bu - whom I have never heard much about until now chatting about him on ICC. Apparently he is a big risk taker who always tries to play for the win - thats about all i know about him....:confused: . Anyone else heard/know much about him?

Anyone got any feelings about the matches?

pax
07-09-2007, 12:24 AM
In particular I've been watching GM Bu - whom I have never heard much about until now chatting about him on ICC. Apparently he is a big risk taker who always tries to play for the win - thats about all i know about him....:confused: . Anyone else heard/know much about him?

He played board 1 for China at the 2006 Olympiad, so he's certainly no Johnny-come-lately. He also represented China in 04 and 02 (even then he was rated 2600). But I don't know much about his style. On the other hand, Wang Hao and Wang Yue seem to have really sprung up sharply in the last couple of years.

Watto
07-09-2007, 10:33 AM
live games and official site: http://www.liverpoolchessinternational.co.uk/live_match.htm

Denis_Jessop
07-09-2007, 03:32 PM
He played board 1 for China at the 2006 Olympiad, so he's certainly no Johnny-come-lately. He also represented China in 04 and 02 (even then he was rated 2600). But I don't know much about his style. On the other hand, Wang Hao and Wang Yue seem to have really sprung up sharply in the last couple of years.

GM Bu is only not a Johnny-come-lately in a general sense. He is only 22 yo and his rating is 2685. It's interesting to look at the team http://www.liverpoolchessinternational.co.uk/team_china.htm. 5 GMS aged 27, 24, 22, 20 (Wang Yue,2696) and 18 (Wang Hao,2626); 2 WGMs aged 18 and 13 and 1 WFM aged 16; average age 20; average ELO 2571. All the GMs are well over 2600.

DJ