PDA

View Full Version : The War On SPAM

Basil
29-08-2007, 01:55 AM
I operate a phpBB board and suffer the same spam issues as this one (VBulletin) and others globally.

The incorporation of Visual Confirmation (VC) {enter the random text displayed here to prove you are human} at the registration stage has cut down on many of the older spambots signing up on all board formats.

Many web admins would be aware that the newer bots have cracked the VC process and new measures are required. I know that VC is used on this board, and I know that spambots are still getting through. Same for me on phpBB2.

While I await the release of phpBB3, someone has written a small piece of code which stops ALL automatic registrations - period. The phpBB board operators are raving about it all over the planet, and I look forward to completing the instal of mine in the next little while, once I've figured out a glitch.

And so - the point. I wonder if it's worth a quick trip around the VBulletin home support page to investigate a similar piece of code over there.

All auto spam (including dead bot sign-ons) - dead. Well actually they can't even sign on so you don't have to waste time clearing the decks of useless names.

Desmond
29-08-2007, 07:16 PM
Personally, I fight spam with a knife, fork and tomato sauce. Occasionally toast is required.

I joined another forum today, and it was the VC stuff (case sensitive), an arithemetic question (something like 141+23-47=), and a "count the blue lines" type question. Keeps out the bots and dim-wits at the same time!

Basil
29-08-2007, 07:49 PM
Yes, a) the addition of an extra question, which b) cannot be left blank, and c) must be answered correctly slows the bots right up!

Previous 'email activation' of the registree stopped the spam posting, but didn't stop the damn things signing up in the first place, creating dead wood - and of course unsuspecting users clicking on their profiles.

The board you joined - was it phpBB, VBulletin or other?

Desmond
29-08-2007, 09:00 PM
phpBB

eclectic
29-08-2007, 09:11 PM
phpBB

do registrants have to guess what letters come next?

:uhoh:

paulb
01-09-2007, 12:58 AM
Personally, I fight spam with a knife, fork and tomato sauce. Occasionally toast is required.
:)

Adam
08-11-2007, 05:40 PM
:doh:

ElevatorEscapee
08-11-2007, 09:06 PM
Adam & Eve... not Adam & Spam! :P

Basil
16-02-2008, 11:32 PM
While I await the release of phpBB3, someone has written a small piece of code which stops ALL automatic registrations - period. The phpBB board operators are raving about it all over the planet, and I look forward to completing the instal of mine in the next little while, once I've figured out a glitch.
100% success. Not a single bot in 6 months! Not one!

Kevin Bonham
17-02-2008, 01:26 PM
My other forum's just gone over to php3 and the spambots have greatly diminished.

The regulars don't like it so far though.

Basil
17-02-2008, 01:36 PM
The regulars don't like it so far though.
Pfft! Forum regulars don't like any changes. It's a universal truth. Incidentally our success rate is attributed to our extra coding - we still haven't switched to phpBB3

Ian Murray
19-12-2008, 12:52 PM
Lately I've been receiving a spate of bounced spam. all purporting to originate from me (using my old @optushome.net.au address which was superseded years ago by @optusnet when their deal with @home fell through).

Although no-one else (and I mean no-one) knows my Optus password, I've changed it a couple of times anyway but it still goes on.

Any ideas out there?

Space_Dude
19-12-2008, 05:06 PM
Lately I've been receiving a spate of bounced spam. all purporting to originate from me (using my old @optushome.net.au address which was superseded years ago by @optusnet when their deal with @home fell through).

Although no-one else (and I mean no-one) knows my Optus password, I've changed it a couple of times anyway but it still goes on.

Any ideas out there?
dont use that email web site thats my advice but im just a kid remember?

eclectic
19-12-2008, 05:40 PM
i don't really like having to use an email address e.g. myusernameATwhateversite as a login in case it gets harvested through breached security

but then again maybe i am slightly paranoid :uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh:

Miranda
19-12-2008, 06:11 PM
Hm... I just use Hotmail.

Never get spam :)

Space_Dude
19-12-2008, 08:40 PM
I use yahoo and a korean website with maximum security and re activate it every month or so so if u dont want to use it u dont have to activate it...

Ian Murray
19-12-2008, 10:59 PM
i don't really like having to use an email address e.g. myusernameATwhateversite as a login in case it gets harvested through breached security

but then again maybe i am slightly paranoid :uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh:

As a webmaster it's not easy avoiding having one's email address harvested and sold to spammers.

However what I'm talking about here is these nice people in Russia, China, Korea and Italy using my email address to broadcast spam.

Trent Parker
20-12-2008, 11:27 AM

Any ideas out there?
IMO I dont think these are real. I think that these are just spammers trying to look like failure notices.. I've seen some shonky ones!

Space_Dude
20-12-2008, 12:53 PM
What does the spam mail say anyway??

Ian Murray
20-12-2008, 03:33 PM
IMO I dont think these are real. I think that these are just spammers trying to look like failure notices.. I've seen some shonky ones!

I was blacklisted by Hotmail for spamming

Space_Dude
20-12-2008, 04:21 PM
I was blacklisted by Hotmail for spamming
So... Some one framed u??

Ian Murray
20-12-2008, 05:03 PM
So... Some one framed u??
That's what I've been saying :wall:

Space_Dude
20-12-2008, 07:11 PM
That's what I've been saying :wall:
Oh~!:D

Sinister
22-12-2008, 10:16 AM
I hate the spammers, they send all kinds of junk to me. Even shops like woolworths and coles are sending me e-mails

Space_Dude
22-12-2008, 11:10 AM
I hate the spammers, they send all kinds of junk to me. Even shops like woolworths and coles are sending me e-mails
Taht is why i dont check my emails EVER!!!

Sinister
22-12-2008, 01:28 PM
my email address is not valid anymore

chesstash
22-12-2008, 09:05 PM
i have msn

Sinister
25-12-2008, 07:29 PM
e mail is still valid:owned:
geez I'm lucky

Basil
27-12-2008, 09:47 PM

Any ideas out there?
Very common. While there may be other explanations, I strongly suspect that the <real_old_ian_address> was picked up by a spammer and cloaked (I forget the actual term) over the top of the <spammer_address>.

Looking at the long headers (of the e-mail via your e-mail settings/ preferences) may well give you a clue (and a shock). The shock wears off quickly and you simply treat further mailings as you would other junk.

Desmond
12-06-2009, 09:19 AM
My Commonwealth Bank account has been hacked again? That's the sixteenth time today. And I don't have even one. Quick! where are my credit card details?

Miranda
12-06-2009, 11:01 AM
My Commonwealth Bank account has been hacked again? That's the sixteenth time today. And I don't have even one. Quick! where are my credit card details?
Ouch! I'm so sorry for you... perhaps I can ask my long-lost cousin in Nigeria if you can also have a share of our $25 million that is currently tied up in the stockmarket, but once I send a few thousand dollars will all be mine again!

Garvinator
12-06-2009, 03:20 PM
You are lucky then, only one bank. My Commonwealth and St George accounts have either been locked or hacked.

On the serious side, the most interesting thing is that I do not receive 'those' type of emails from the bank I am with :hmm:

Garvinator
12-06-2009, 03:22 PM
Ouch! I'm so sorry for you... perhaps I can ask my long-lost cousin in Nigeria if you can also have a share of our $25 million that is currently tied up in the stockmarket, but once I send a few thousand dollars will all be mine again!
This is how you know the recession is really biting :P They use to say something like, send $1000 to clear your win of 15 million. Now its send $500 to win 5 million. See the recession even affects people in Nigeria :owned:

Nicholas D-C
13-06-2009, 09:08 AM
ChessChat now has a spammer!