PDA

View Full Version : Swiss Manager & Buchholz's calculation

Chang
13-08-2007, 12:48 AM
Hi,

According to the latest FIDE tournament regulation, the result of an unplayed game shall be counted as a draw against the player himself for tie-break purpose. Recently, I founded that Swiss Manager doesn’t follow this at least for Buchholz’s score calculation. Unlike Swiss Manager, Vega and Swiss Master follow the regulation strictly. Swiss Manager is recommended by many expert arbiters. Why does it fail to meet FIDE requirement? Am I missing something?

My best,
Chang

Garvinator
13-08-2007, 12:53 AM
What version of Swiss Manager are you using?

Chang
13-08-2007, 01:12 AM
Hi,

Actually, not mine. I joined one tournament a couple weeks ago. The assistant arbiter said the owner, an Austrian arbiter, just updated the program from the programmer's website a few days before the tournament. I noticed the difference before the last round. I also asked him to simulate some situations and compared with Swiss Master. They show minor difference in calculaitions.

Chang

Chang
14-08-2007, 12:21 AM
As I understand, Swiss Manager calculates Buchholz for unplayed games differently. It doesn't give Buchholz scores to the remaining rounds of withdrawn players and unplayed games are counted as draws against their opponents not to the players themselves.