PDA

View Full Version : A Sicilian Question

young_ned
03-06-2004, 01:15 PM
Hello,

I don't play the closed Sicilian from either the White side or the Black, but I have recently transposed (sort of) while playing White several times into a position that is similar. I am wondering if any experienced players of the closed Sicilian (from either side) could take a look at the position and post any thoughts.

Here is the position I have faced as White (it's Black's move here):
1rbq1rk1/pp2ppbp/2np1np1/2p5/4PP1Q/2NP1N2/PPP1B1PP/R1B2RK1 w - - 0 8

Here is the line of the closed Sicilian I have in my references (it's White's move here):
1rbq1rk1/pp2ppbp/2np1np1/2p5/4PP2/2NP1NP1/PPP3BP/R1BQ1RK1 w - - 0 8

If my memory/thoughts/references are correct this closed Sicilian position is felt to be =+ and not likely to lead to to anything great for White. My question is would you agree with the my assessment that the first position is = to += and does offer White some possibilities? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

If you're wondering about how things got to this point, I occasionally play 1.f4 and have been hitting 1...c5 a little bit more often of late. I tend to avoid 2.b3 in general, but I am trying to decide between focusing my efforts on 1...c5 2.b3 lines or go with a line that leads to the position shown above. I refuse to play 2.e4 as I have had terrible results with the GPA.

ned

JGB
03-06-2004, 04:05 PM
I prefer position 1. Perhaps because I myself am a GP Attack player, when for whatever reason I want to avoid normal Sicilian lines.

I find the White squared Bishop in Position 2 has no future on g2. I prefer it aiming in the black Kings direction outside of the pawn chain represented in Position 1. I personally can not talk about the diff between a = and += as I believe these positions have more to do with Personal preferance as to the slight (tiny) advantage that white may or may not hold in either position 1 or 2. In position 1, I would prefer if the white Bishop was on the a2 - g8 diaganal though! ;) this would give white better possibilities of a king side attack (which is the main reason people play the GP Attack).

young_ned
04-06-2004, 12:22 AM
Thank you for your opinions.

I have had bad results in the past with the GPA, entering it via 1.f4 c5 2.e4, as I almost invariably face 2...d5 and an uphill battle. I feel that the Black players are almost daring me to play 2.e4, just to pull me out of more standard Bird's lines and into GPA lines that they as Sicilian players are more comfortable with (relatively speaking).

I am presently pursuing two lines of investigation in response to 1...c5. One is 2.b3. Normally, when I face 1...d5, I avoid a Larsen-style attack beacuse of Black's strong replies with its Queen's bishop. Against 1...c5 though, I can get my fianchetto in before Black can bring it's Bishop in to disrupt my plans.

The second is the line that leads to the position #1, as shown above. It involves a later e4, with the aim of getting Black to commit to an early d6 hopefully before the move to e4. The idea being to cause a loss of tempo should Black decide to make the move to d5 later.

I think I'll look up some lines + analysis in the GPA that are favorable to White and see if I can't come up with some further ideas. All in all, I'm quite happy as a 1.f4 regular to face 1...c5. Opponents near my level (~1900) seem to do significantly worse with that as opposed to 1...d5/Nf6 lines.

ned

Lucena
04-06-2004, 04:29 PM
I think in the first position Black is in a bit of pressure but Nd4 looks good to me. And the second looks like a normal closed sicilian except Black has Nf6 a bit unusually placed for a closed sicilian.

arosar
28-06-2004, 01:28 PM
There is a so-called "Australian Attack" in the Sicilian. How goes it? Pat Halpin was showing it off once in Parr's shop but I can't bloody remember the line.

AR

Kevin Bonham
28-06-2004, 05:07 PM
Is that the one that either Speck or Wallace had a column about in ACF a while back? If that sounds right I'll look it up.

Rincewind
28-06-2004, 09:02 PM
There is a so-called "Australian Attack" in the Sicilian. How goes it? Pat Halpin was showing it off once in Parr's shop but I can't bloody remember the line.

There is an Australian Gambit line in the King's Gambit Accepted. It goes: 1.e4 e5 2.f4 exf4 3.Nf3 g5 4.Bc4 g4 5.h4

rolly16
19-06-2005, 12:40 AM
my best game was with this as white. i like the closed variant as it really does its intended purpose, to surprise the sicilian mainliners who expects the nf3-d4 replies! and the closed sicilian has its days of glory in world championship finals particularly in the smyslov-botvinnik finals. so, it must be good for these 2 are legends.

Jesse Jager
20-06-2005, 07:23 PM
I rather like black in both positions since i think in position one after Nd4 white has no attack and black can proceed normally with his queenside attack b5 a5 etc.

In postion two again i think black is fine however white has a better position than in position 1 since his pieces are better placed, instead of floundering around on the kingside. Play might proceed Be3 b5, white will try to play d4 while black will continue to play on the queenside :lol:

Careth
20-06-2005, 07:33 PM
Personally, you can never play too many Dragons, Taimanovs, or Sveshnikovs. I also enjoy a Pelikan in lightning- it gives interesting positions worth looking at cos there are so many non book lines:D

Aaron Bellette
21-06-2005, 08:44 AM
Is that the one that either Speck or Wallace had a column about in ACF a while back? If that sounds right I'll look it up.
Isn't it just 1. e4 c5 2. b3 :hmm:

AB

Trent Parker
21-06-2005, 11:01 AM
Isn't it just 1. e4 c5 2. b3 :hmm:

AB

Yep. But i imagine playing Nf3 first would just transpose into a certain line of it.......

Altecman
01-12-2005, 08:32 AM
Hello,

If you're wondering about how things got to this point, I occasionally play 1.f4 and have been hitting 1...c5 a little bit more often of late. I tend to avoid 2.b3 in general, but I am trying to decide between focusing my efforts on 1...c5 2.b3 lines or go with a line that leads to the position shown above. I refuse to play 2.e4 as I have had terrible results with the GPA.

ned
Lol so u play 1 f4? the birds? what happens in u get 1..e5? lol u cant really transpose it unless u play kings gambit :p

Davidflude
01-12-2005, 06:06 PM
I am getting good result in correspondence with

1.e4 c5
2. Nc3 Nc6
3. g4

Trent Parker
02-12-2005, 01:57 AM
Has anyone heard of the Hyper-accelerated dragon? Apparently its a line that offers the c pawn as a bit of a gambit pawn.......

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 g6 3.d4 Bg7 I think it is something like this......

I think in this position if:

-White takes on c5. I think black gets easy development with Nc6, b6 (if cxb6 Qxb6 = more development) Bb7 and eventually d6 and Nf6 0-0

-White plays d5 then possibly played like a benoni......

What do everyone else think?

Lucena
03-12-2005, 02:03 PM
Hmm, I'm not completely convinced. I thought normally black plays Qa5+ and Qxc5 after dxc5.