PDA

View Full Version : question for barry cox,ratings people

bobby1972
28-05-2004, 09:53 AM
Barry i have heard that the ratings are done game by game,when i use your rating calculator depending on what order i enter some oponents the result seems to vary because if thats so i got the order of entry for best rating result is this right or am i completly wrong ?thanks.

Rincewind
28-05-2004, 12:52 PM
Barry i have heard that the ratings are done game by game,when i use your rating calculator depending on what order i enter some oponents the result seems to vary because if thats so i got the order of entry for best rating result is this right or am i completly wrong ?thanks.

The order should not make any difference. However other results can change the rating allocation of other games.

For example, if you lose to a player rated 500 point lower than you can might expect a rating drop from that game of around 26 points. Then if you also beat a player rated 2000 in the same rating period then you would not only get 13.3 point for that game but the points lost in the first game would be affected to only 25 point (overall rating loss would be 11.7, not 12.7)

This phenomenon is caused because the magnitude of the rating adjustment is based on all the results of the period not by treating each result in isolation.

But to repeat my answer to your original question if you process those two results in the reverse other it makes no difference to the final adjustment. You would still get 11.7.

bobby1972
28-05-2004, 02:14 PM
thanks