PDA

View Full Version : national identity card

Garvinator
26-05-2004, 10:39 PM
national identity card is back on the agenda, what are your thoughts ppl?

PHAT
26-05-2004, 11:17 PM
I don't care. ID cards will be just as easly bought as IDs are now. The rich will continue to shaft everyone and the prols will let them. ID cards will do nothing more than the tax file # and the Medicare # do now anyway.

ID card? I'm not scared.

JGB
27-05-2004, 07:06 PM
I really don't know what I think about a personal ID card. Here in Germany everyone thinks its impossible that we don't have this system in Australia.

Honestly im not sure what I think. i like the idea of this 'freedom' of movement without any id card. But it also has its benefits of course.

I'll only be strongly against it if it looks like most of the Europen one's! Usually about 6 X bigger as a normal Aussie drivers license etc and made of paper. Craphause! It has to be in the Aus drivers license format.

jay_vee
27-05-2004, 08:49 PM
I just wonder, why it's necessary to introduce a new card, when the old system seems to work (and hey, I'm german :) ). I think, it's important to have some form of picture ID, but your driver's license already does that. Also, for social security and tax purposes, you are already identifiable on the national level.

So why is a new card necessary?

JGB: German ID cards are plastic and about twice the size of an australian drivers license. About passport sized. The fold-out paper things you may have seen, are the "old" German drivers licenses. New plastic card ones (much like australian ones) were introduced around 2001 and are now the only ones issued. However, since the old licenses did not have to be renewed, they are still valid and will remain so (In fact, my mother still has her original one from the 1960s, you can imagine how similar to her the photo looks :) ).