PDA

View Full Version : engine bbcode

skip to my lou
22-05-2004, 10:52 PM
r5k1/r4p1p/1pq1pPp1/2b1P2P/2p1PP1Q/4BK2/P1p5/6RR w - - 0 35

skip to my lou
22-05-2004, 11:18 PM
Do you see a board in the post above that has been set up like this?

r5k1/r4p1p/1pq1pPp1/2b1P2P/2p1PP1Q/4BK2/P1p5/6RR w - - 0 35

In the post above, are you able to make moves, do all the buttons work?

Does the status display correctly?

The aim of this BBCODE is to post fen positions where people can play against the computer in any given position. Also it can be set to play engine vs engine, switch the engine side and flip the board. There are a few settings to determine the strength of play (ply etc).

Feedback and Comments welcome

Kevin Bonham
23-05-2004, 03:43 AM
Showed up OK and seems to work OK, except that sometimes if I got confused starting the game and pressed too many buttons (eg Move Now too many times) it would stop working - fixed by going out and clicking on the thread again.

Logistic issues - a takeback function is always good in case you key a move incorrectly. Also I think the human player can only promote pawns to queens whereas the computer will underpromote sometimes. And status displays incorrectly if mate has just been played (maybe it should say "checkmate".)

At the initial play level, taking approx 15 secs per move, it plays at something like 1750 strength I reckon (but more like 2200 for tactics). Fairly typical computer in being strong at tactics and middlegames and weak on everything else. I noticed it had a quite aggressive positional attitude where it really tried hard to grab space and restrict opposing pieces but would concede horrendous positional defects in the process.

skip to my lou
23-05-2004, 04:11 AM
Showed up OK and seems to work OK, except that sometimes if I got confused starting the game and pressed too many buttons (eg Move Now too many times) it would stop working - fixed by going out and clicking on the thread again.

Not sure why it would stop working, but I will look into it.

Logistic issues - a takeback function is always good in case you key a move incorrectly. Also I think the human player can only promote pawns to queens whereas the computer will underpromote sometimes. And status displays incorrectly if mate has just been played (maybe it should say "checkmate".)

Takeback function can be done.

Yes, at the moment humans can only promote to queen, I will try and show a popup selection box where a pawn is promoted by human.

I can also fix the status box to show the game has ended.

At the initial play level, taking approx 15 secs per move, it plays at something like 1750 strength I reckon (but more like 2200 for tactics). Fairly typical computer in being strong at tactics and middlegames and weak on everything else. I noticed it had a quite aggressive positional attitude where it really tried hard to grab space and restrict opposing pieces but would concede horrendous positional defects in the process.

It has no book, and not much strategy programmed into it.

The engine is basically a Java version of Chess Partner by Lex from Lokasoft.

Theres not much that can be done about this by anyone other than Lex. Because it is a client side script written as a Java applet, its nowhere near as powerful as C++ etc. so I doubt Lex is keen to work on this engines strength.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll post an updated version in a couple of weeks.

BTW, if you want to use this as it is, the bbcode is <engine>fen string</engine>

PHAT
23-05-2004, 07:23 AM
Flip board does not work
Switch engine and engine v engine don't work
Move now does not work.
Colours of writing in the buttons is almost invisible.

Can pickup and move pieces and start new game.

I have broadband, a fire wall, only accept cookies from sites I navigate to, run on OS10.2, and use Safari.

skip to my lou
23-05-2004, 01:54 PM
Matthew: Do you have Javascript enabled? What version of Java VM do you have installed?

Bill Gletsos
23-05-2004, 02:14 PM
Jeo,
Matt is running MacOS X 10.2.

I just tried it on MacOS X 10.3.3.
Using Safari v1.2.1 build 125.1
Java version 1.4.2.

It has all the same problems as problems as Matt describes.
The color of the wording in the buttons at the bottom of the board is the same as the color used for the 1-8, a-h used on the board.

skip to my lou
23-05-2004, 02:21 PM
Do the buttons work in Firefox or IE running on Mac?

Bill Gletsos
24-05-2004, 11:33 AM
IE for Mac 5.2.3 (latest version) has the same problems.
I dont have firefox installed.

Garvinator
24-05-2004, 01:25 PM
IE for Mac 5.2.3 (latest version) has the same problems.
I dont have firefox installed.
you may need to manually install java board as ie6 doesnt support java anymore apparently. I rang my internet provider a while ago and they said microsoft cannot put these two products together anymore, so java has to be downloaded manually.

hope that helps :)

Bill Gletsos
24-05-2004, 02:44 PM
Nice try but no cigar.
There is no version 6 of IE for Mac.
5.2.3 was the last version.
On top of that the Mac has never used a MS java VM.
Apple has always supplied Java.

Garvinator
24-05-2004, 06:14 PM
Nice try but no cigar.
buy a new puter and systems ;)

skip to my lou
24-05-2004, 07:05 PM
Nice try but no cigar.
Is it possible for you to install Java from Sun?

skip to my lou
24-05-2004, 07:13 PM
It seems Java on Mac is powered by Sun too.

Im not quite sure what the problem is since I dont have access to a Mac.

Bill Gletsos
24-05-2004, 07:35 PM
Is it possible for you to install Java from Sun?
Dont think so.