PDA

View Full Version : 2007 World Championship Candidate Matches

Garvinator
25-05-2007, 06:18 PM
Candidate matches start tomorrow.

Kevin Bonham
26-05-2007, 12:12 AM
1. Aronian Levon (ARM) - Carlsen Magnus (NOR)
2. Leko Peter (HUN) - Gurevich Mikhail (TUR)
3. Ponomariov Ruslan (UKR) - Rublevsky Sergei (RUS)
4. Gelfand Boris (ISR) - Kasimdzhanov Rustam (UZB)
5. Bacrot Etienne (FRA) - Kamsky Gata (USA)
6. Grischuk Alexander (RUS) - Malakhov Vladimir (RUS)
7. Polgar Judith (HUN) - Bareev Evgeny (RUS)
8. Shirov Alexei (ESP) - Adams Michael (ENG)

I'd like to watch some of these. Any way to do so that doesn't involve paying money or submitting a 257-page registration form to a mythical species of ground sloth?

Some stats on ratings and previous record between players (the previous record stats are from chessbase so may not be exhaustive and may include rapids):

Aronian (2759) leads Carlsen (2693) +3=8-0
Leko (2738) trails Gurevich (2639) +0=2-1
Ponomariov (2717) leads Rublevsky (2680) +2=1-1
Gelfand (2733) and Kasimdzhanov (2677) have drawn once.
Bacrot (2709) leads Kamsky (2705) +2=1-1
Grischuk (2717) leads Malakhov (2679) +4=4-2
Polgar (2727) leads Bareev (2643) +6=5-3
Shirov (2699) leads Adams (2734) +13-6=17

Garvinator
26-05-2007, 12:43 AM
Maybe playchess etc will have the games, but I can't find a dedicated website for these matches.

Garvinator
26-05-2007, 02:30 AM
Ok, people from chessbase must be reading this forum ;) Article has just appeared on chessbase.

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=3883

Playchess seems to be the place to go to watch the games.

Aaron Guthrie
26-05-2007, 03:50 AM
Playchess seems to be the place to go to watch the games.Of course according to chessbase.com that is always the case :)

Quite odd that there doesn't appear to be an official web-site for this event

zigzag
26-05-2007, 09:20 AM
1. Aronian Levon (ARM) - Carlsen Magnus (NOR)
2. Leko Peter (HUN) - Gurevich Mikhail (TUR)
3. Ponomariov Ruslan (UKR) - Rublevsky Sergei (RUS)
4. Gelfand Boris (ISR) - Kasimdzhanov Rustam (UZB)
5. Bacrot Etienne (FRA) - Kamsky Gata (USA)
6. Grischuk Alexander (RUS) - Malakhov Vladimir (RUS)
7. Polgar Judith (HUN) - Bareev Evgeny (RUS)
8. Shirov Alexei (ESP) - Adams Michael (ENG)

Forgive my ignorance,but why isnt Svidler,Radjabov and Mamedyarov playing?
They are all ranked in the top ten. Is it because they are already seeded into the next round?:hmm:

Southpaw Jim
26-05-2007, 10:00 AM
I'd like to watch some of these. Any way to do so that doesn't involve paying money or submitting a 257-page registration form to a mythical species of ground sloth?

I'd expect FICS would be relaying these matches ;) no commentary by GMs or anything, but it'd be free..

Denis_Jessop
26-05-2007, 11:35 AM
Forgive my ignorance,but why isnt Svidler,Radjabov and Mamedyarov playing?
They are all ranked in the top ten. Is it because they are already seeded into the next round?:hmm:

This press release by Kirsan last year explains the position.

Moscow, 16 November 2006

Dear friends of chess,

On behalf of FIDE I am pleased to announce that both rounds of the Candidates Matches for the 2007 World Championship Tournament will take place in Elista, 26 May - 14 June 2007. The prize fund for each match of both rounds will be USD 40,000. I shall personally contribute 320,000 USD towards the total prize fund and a further USD 160,000 will be contributed by FIDE.

The 16 Grandmasters who will participate in the Candidates Matches are:
01. Levon Aronian (ARM)
02. Peter Leko (HUN)
03. Ruslan Ponomariov (UKR)
04. Boris Gelfand (ISR)
05. Etienne Bacrot (FRA)
06. Alexander Grischuk (RUS)
07. Judith Polgar (HUN)
08. Alexei Shirov (ESP)
09. Michael Adams (ENG)
10. Evgeny Bareev (RUS)
11. Vladimir Malakhov (RUS)
12. Gata Kamsky (USA)
13. Rustam Kasimjanov (UZB)
14. Sergei Rublevsky (RUS)
15. Mikhail Gurevich (TUR)
16. Magnus Carlsen (NOR)

Out of the above 16 Grandmasters, the top 4 will qualify for the 2007 World Chess Championship Tournament in Mexico, 11 September - 1 October, joining the defending World Champion Vladimir Kramnik (RUS) and GMs Vishy Anand (IND), Peter Svidler (RUS), Alexander Morozevich (RUS) who have already qualified from the previous World Championships.

We are all looking forward for another world class event to be held successfully in Elista.

Gens Una Sumus!

Kirsan Ilyumzhinov
FIDE President

Kevin Bonham
26-05-2007, 05:03 PM
I'd expect FICS would be relaying these matches ;) no commentary by GMs or anything, but it'd be free..

I tried watching something on FICS once, and just trying to work out how to find and watch a specific game on there was totally beyond me. Whatever passed for "help" seemed incomprehensible.

eclectic
26-05-2007, 05:10 PM
I tried watching something on FICS once, and just trying to work out how to find and watch a specific game on there was totally beyond me. Whatever passed for "help" seemed incomprehensible.

The easiest way at fics is to type ALL which gives all games being observed.

Such high profile games will have the most observers so then type the number assigned to them i.e ob 23.

Usually there will be an annnouncement about such games as they are about to start.

You can observe more than one game on most interfaces ... (I hope?)

Garvinator
26-05-2007, 05:28 PM
Games start in about 6 hours if I have the time difference right.

Bill Gletsos
26-05-2007, 06:22 PM
Playchess will have the games starting at 11pm our time.

Kevin Bonham
26-05-2007, 07:29 PM
The easiest way at fics is to type ALL which gives all games being observed.

Ta, I may give that a go.

Garvinator
26-05-2007, 07:50 PM
Ta, I may give that a go.
You can watch on playchess as a guest.

Kevin Bonham
26-05-2007, 08:10 PM
You can watch on playchess as a guest.

Oh, OK, that sounds easier. I'll see if I can get one or the other to work.

Southpaw Jim
26-05-2007, 09:35 PM
Doesn't look like FICS is relaying it anyway :hmm:

eclectic
26-05-2007, 09:40 PM
Doesn't look like FICS is relaying it anyway :hmm: Were they faced with paying someone a fee? :rolleyes:

Kevin Bonham
26-05-2007, 11:12 PM
Had a look on playchess for it but couldn't find it. Probably just too stupid.

Bill Gletsos
26-05-2007, 11:16 PM
First round is tomorrow night.

eclectic
26-05-2007, 11:23 PM
First round is tomorrow night.

All the opening ceremony formalities tonight I guess ... :eek:

Metro
26-05-2007, 11:40 PM
Can we have a link to "Live" play in Candidates?Thanks.

Bill Gletsos
26-05-2007, 11:46 PM
All the opening ceremony formalities tonight I guess ... :eek:Correct.

Garvinator
27-05-2007, 02:31 PM
All the opening ceremony formalities tonight I guess ... :eek:
and what formalities they were.

The players drew sheep to decide which colour they are in the first game, then they got to keep the sheep.

Garvinator
27-05-2007, 02:43 PM
There is now a main website for the matches.

http://globalchess.eu/main.php

Round 1 Pairings

1 Aronian Levon (ARM)- Carlsen Magnus (NOR)
2 Leko Peter (HUN)- Gurevich Mikhail (TUR)
3 Ponomariov Ruslan (UKR)- Rublevsky Sergei (RUS)
4 Gelfand Boris (ISR)- Kasimdzhanov Rustam(UZB)
5 Bacrot Etienne (FRA)- Kamsky Gata (USA)
6 Grischuk Alexander(RUS)- Malakhov Vladimir (RUS)
7 Polgar Judit (HUN)- Bareev Evgeny (RUS)
8 Shirov Alexei (ESP)- Adams Michael (ENG)

Garvinator
27-05-2007, 02:47 PM
Ok I am willing to organise a tipping competition.

Please put results for who you think will WIN each match. Your tip is for the overall result of each individual six game match.

My tips.

Aronian
Leko
Ponomariov
Kasimdzhanov
Kamsky
Grischuk
Polgar
Shirov

pax
27-05-2007, 03:13 PM

Try "obs GMLeko", "obs GMCarlsen" etc.

Brian_Jones
27-05-2007, 03:30 PM
Round 1 Aronian, Leko, Ponomariov, Gelfand, Kamsky, Grischuk, Polgar, Adams

Aaron Guthrie
27-05-2007, 04:55 PM
Carlsen Magnus (NOR)
Leko Peter (HUN)
Ponomariov Ruslan (UKR)
Gelfand Boris (ISR)
Bacrot Etienne (FRA)
Grischuk Alexander (RUS)
Polgar Judith (HUN)
Shirov Alexei (ESP)

Deep Fritz

Ian Rout
27-05-2007, 07:46 PM
Aronian
Leko
Ponomariov
Kasimdzhanov
Kamsky
Grischuk
Bareev
Adams

eclectic
27-05-2007, 08:00 PM
Next we'll see Karpov and Fischer becoming late ring ins!!
;)

Kevin Bonham
27-05-2007, 08:14 PM
It's tempting to just tip them all on rating, but that's boring, so here goes:

Aronian
Leko
Rublevsky
Gelfand
Kamsky
Grischuk
Polgar
Adams

Deep Junior

Aaron Guthrie
27-05-2007, 08:15 PM
Deep JuniorRadjabov isn't playing :P

Kevin Bonham
27-05-2007, 08:18 PM
Radjabov isn't playing :P

More's the pity. He could probably beat these donkeys in a simul. :lol:

I was referring to the Deep Fritz - Deep Junior match being played alongside the second half of the event.

Basil
27-05-2007, 08:26 PM
It's tempting to just tip them all on rating, but that's boring, so here goes:

Aronian
Leko
Rublevsky
Gelfand
Kamsky
Grischuk
Polgar
Adams

Deep Junior

Adams to finish top half! Or were listing in reverse order?

Adding this to yet another famous Duggan non-prediction. I'll be sure to let you know when I get one right.

eclectic
27-05-2007, 08:27 PM
Carlsen
Shirov
Leko
Polgar
Ponomariov
Grishuk
Kasimjanov
Kamsky

Kevin Bonham
27-05-2007, 08:35 PM

He only has to beat Alexei, against whom he has a big minus score, but that comes from a period when Shirov outrated him. If he can't put him away this time he probably never will, and I get the impression that elite players generally have woken up to Shirov's box of tricks and hence he is no longer the danger that he was.

eclectic
27-05-2007, 08:55 PM
All the relay boards are ready at playchess.

Kevin Bonham
27-05-2007, 09:09 PM
All the relay boards are ready at playchess.

Games have just started! Earlier start is good, I might be able to watch them in full and still get up for work tomorrow!

eclectic
27-05-2007, 09:11 PM
The playchess relay board for polgar bareev showed the black c pawn moving first to c6 with quips that bareev was seizing the initiative!

one kibitzer (raistlin7000) quips: obviously this is 0-1, I have never seen this position before in my life but i can tell.

:)

Bill Gletsos
27-05-2007, 09:11 PM
Ian Rogers is playing the Limburg Open which is also being shown on playchess.

Kevin Bonham
27-05-2007, 09:13 PM
Shirov is playing my pet line in the French Closed Tarrasch!

*curses self for tipping Adams*

I know some lines in this rubbish to about move 25!

Kevin Bonham
27-05-2007, 09:24 PM
Official site http://globalchess.eu/main.php

What's the time control? They seem to be banging out moves pretty fast despite starting with 2 hrs on the clock.

Bill Gletsos
27-05-2007, 09:36 PM
120 minutes for the first 40 moves, 60 minutes for the next 20 moves and then 15 minutes for the rest of the game plus an additional 30 seconds per move starting from move 61.

eclectic
27-05-2007, 09:39 PM
120 minutes for the first 40 moves, 60 minutes for the next 20 moves and then 15 minutes for the rest of the game plus an additional 30 seconds per move starting from move 61.

Didn't they ratify a single "simple" time control for high level FIDE tournaments some time ago or is this it?

Garvinator
27-05-2007, 09:54 PM

Adding this to yet another famous Duggan non-prediction. I'll be sure to let you know when I get one right.
Hello Howard,

These are candidate matches:

Each match is six games.

Player on the left has white in first game, which has just started.

1 Magnus Carlsen Levon Aronian

8 Michael Adams Alexei Shirov

3 Ruslan Ponomariov Sergei Rublevsky

6 Alexander Grischuk Vladimir Malakhov

2 Peter Leko Mikhail Gurevich

7 Judith Polgar Evgeny Bareev

4 Boris Gelfand Rustam Kasimjanov

5 Gata Kamsky Etienne Bacrot

Two days after these matches have concluded, the winner of match 1 plays winner of match 8 etc for a place in the Mexico World Championship. So currently the voting is for picking the winner of each individual match.

Garvinator
27-05-2007, 09:56 PM
Didn't they ratify a single "simple" time control for high level FIDE tournaments some time ago or is this it?
Fide has tried a few different time controls, usually being a much shorter time control. The top players didnt like it at all and so eventually fide relented and have gone back to the 'traditional' time control, with the exception of the last time period.

Basil
27-05-2007, 10:01 PM
Thanks 'Nator. I had a rough idea of the Candidates in general and this in particular - but this has cleared it magnificently! Big ups to da man! Thanks.

Been watching Mick for a while, ergo my SB post! All together now ;)

Bill Gletsos
27-05-2007, 10:07 PM
Didn't they ratify a single "simple" time control for high level FIDE tournaments some time ago or is this it?You are probably thinking of this (http://www.chesschat.org/showpost.php?p=146520&postcount=8).

Garvinator
27-05-2007, 10:22 PM
I am watching the games on the official site and I dont think it is auto refreshing, is anyone noticing this as well?

Southpaw Jim
27-05-2007, 10:49 PM
FICS is relaying this, so anyone who isn't already watching it on playchess, type "tell relay listgames" and then "observe XX", XX being the game # you're interested in.

Basil
27-05-2007, 10:54 PM
Auto-freshing all good on the official site now.

Sam
28-05-2007, 10:53 AM
http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=3885

When I saw these photos of the opening ceremony I didnt know whether to laugh or cringe. The look on Polgar's face says it all. Is there no stunt which Kirsan wont try?:hmm: :lol:

Combine this with the fact that Magnus was nearly in a serious car accident trying to get to the venue due to the plane connection stuff up,and you already have a memorable tournament before any pawn is even pushed.

The players must be thinking,when the hell are we going to get a decently run organisation so we dont have to play in the middle of nowhere in the "glorious Chess City".:whistle:

Leonid Sandler
28-05-2007, 11:01 AM
Please have a look at www.chesspro.ru site .In J.Vasiliev first very intertaining report about World Chess Championship matches in Elista you can clearly see photo of Arianne enjoying local sunshine.

Sam
28-05-2007, 11:04 AM
Looks like she is Aronians "second" after all.:P

Garvinator
28-05-2007, 11:14 AM
Looks like she is Aronians "second" after all.:P
Arianne was also in Yerevan during Aronian's rapid match with Kramnik.

Denis_Jessop
28-05-2007, 09:56 PM
http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=3885

When I saw these photos of the opening ceremony I didnt know whether to laugh or cringe. The look on Polgar's face says it all. Is there no stunt which Kirsan wont try?:hmm: :lol:

Combine this with the fact that Magnus was nearly in a serious car accident trying to get to the venue due to the plane connection stuff up,and you already have a memorable tournament before any pawn is even pushed.

The players must be thinking,when the hell are we going to get a decently run organisation so we dont have to play in the middle of nowhere in the "glorious Chess City".:whistle:

Yes, but Sam you'd have to agree that pulling sheep out of boxes to decide colours has a certain something :cool: :P

DJ

Kevin Bonham
29-05-2007, 01:18 AM
Yes, but Sam you'd have to agree that pulling sheep out of boxes to decide colours has a certain something :cool: :P

It would be even better if each sheep had "I voted for Kirsan!" written on it somewhere.

ESFC1881
29-05-2007, 01:43 AM
Oh come on. Surely i ain't the only one following world chess events? if your interested then heres the link for live chess http://globalchess.eu/games.php
Personally i'm going for judit polgar just to shove it up all you sexist male chess playing stereotypes.
In more lucid moments i like the Isreali cos i support unpopular causes. If there was a Northern Irish chess player i'd support him.

Or even a New Zealander.

eclectic
29-05-2007, 01:48 AM
Oh come on. Surely i ain't the only one following world chess events? if your interested then heres the link for live chess http://globalchess.eu/games.php
Personally i'm going for judit polgar just to shove it up all you sexist male chess playing stereotypes.
In more lucid moments i like the Isreali cos i support unpopular causes. If there was a Northern Irish chess player i'd support him.

Or even a New Zealander.

This is ALREADY a thread for it here!

http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=6428

Thanks

eclectic
29-05-2007, 02:03 AM
I've been ... transported! :P

Leonid Sandler
29-05-2007, 07:46 AM
Please check second report of Jurii Vasiliev from Elista on www.chesspro.ru
You will love it!

zigzag
29-05-2007, 11:50 AM
Care to translate the russian article,Leonid?:hmm:

WhiteElephant
29-05-2007, 01:41 PM
Care to translate the russian article,Leonid?:hmm:

The heading is 'Love Inspires'. The relevant caption under Arianne's pic is that we all remember Arianne from the Kramnik - Aronian match in Erevan. Judging by results, apart from being beautiful and an IM, Arianne inspires Aronian to win his games.

I have to say I like this guy Jurii Vasiliev's style. Quite comical and very informative. Do you know this guy Leonid, does he play as well as being a journalist?

Garvinator
29-05-2007, 05:24 PM
Judging by results, apart from being beautiful and an IM, Arianne inspires Aronian to win his games.
Arianne is not an IM. She is a WIM, there is a world of difference :evil:

Kevin Bonham
30-05-2007, 02:27 AM
Judging by results, apart from being beautiful and an IM, Arianne inspires Aronian to win his games.

But not tonight.

MichaelBaron
30-05-2007, 09:16 AM

I have to say I like this guy Jurii Vasiliev's style. Quite comical and very informative. Do you know this guy Leonid, does he play as well as being a journalist?

Aronian got an overdose of "inspiration" I guess ;) .

Yury Vasil'ev is arguably one of the best chess journalists in the World (Along with Seirawan and Ree). Pity that that he writes in Russian only, so the english speaking chess audience is not able to appreciate his articles fully.

Kevin Bonham
30-05-2007, 09:10 PM
That queen ending between Rublevsky and Pono last night was great to watch, although Rublevsky was probably always winning.

So at the halfway mark, Leko and Kamsky are two up and Bareev, Grischuk and Rublevsky are one up while the other three matches are square.

Currently Garvin is tipping three leaders, Brian three, Mangafranga two, Ian Rout four, myself four, eclectic three.

It could be argued that Ian is ahead on tiebreak as Kasimdzhanov has had two blacks.

ESFC1881
30-05-2007, 09:19 PM
This is ALREADY a thread for it here!

http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=6428

Thanks
:doh:
Indeed thanks eclectic.

Do i need to point out that i know $%#%all about chess?
Probably not and que the next ten posters

or indeed spelling

fianchetto
30-05-2007, 10:31 PM
Round 3 Carlsen - Aronian encounter had an interesting endgame. You can also view updated PGN of World Championship Candidate Matches using DGT Chesstheatre at http://www.rootyhillchess.org/chesstheatre/wccm7/CT_wccm7.html.

Kevin Bonham
30-05-2007, 10:48 PM
For those interested in the theory of the Moscow Gambit in the Semi-Slav, the variation seen in the Gelfand-Kasimdzhanov game last night, the current freestyle game mangafranga-Kevin Bonham (http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=6270) on this site is also a Moscow Gambit.

It is interesting how back in the mid-90s the gambit was seen as somewhat speculative and now it is seen as fully sound and is quite topical at the top level - in the line mangafranga and I are playing (which is not the same one as seen last night) all the database games are from the last couple of years, many of them involving super-GMs. It's meant that Black players playing the Moscow have to be prepared for two types of game, although the gambit is still not as hairy as the notorious Botvinnik variation.

I'll be doing my best to lower the tone as the game proceeds. :lol:

Kevin Bonham
31-05-2007, 11:55 PM
It's just great to be watching this stuff. Real world championship qualifying matches - haven't had any of those for yonks.

Desmond
02-06-2007, 08:27 AM
Is there a crosstable somewhere with the current scores?

Watto
02-06-2007, 08:29 AM
Is there a crosstable somewhere with the current scores?
http://globalchess.eu/main.php?id=21

Desmond
02-06-2007, 08:47 AM
thanks Watto :)

Desmond
02-06-2007, 08:48 AM
I assume that the already decided matches will not continue.

Garvinator
02-06-2007, 03:56 PM
I assume that the already decided matches will not continue.
Correct.

Kevin Bonham
02-06-2007, 05:06 PM
So, tonight:

Aronian is white against Carlsen. They are level.
Kasimdzhanov is white against Gelfand. They are level.
Rublevsky is white against Ponomariov and only needs a draw to go through.
Bareev is white against Polgar and only needs a draw to go through.
Shirov is white against Adams and needs a win or Adams goes through.

Leko, Kamsky, Grischuk are now through while Gurevich, Bacrot and Malakhov are out.

Any ties go to tiebreaks tomorrow night.

Kevin Bonham
03-06-2007, 02:12 AM
Shirov won! Rublevsky and Bareev through, rest to playoffs.

Kevin Bonham
03-06-2007, 05:03 PM
These six-game matches are a good length and quite exciting to watch, especially with lots of games going at once.

Rather a shame that we're not likely to see any more of this with FIDE's new proposal (post-2007) to involve groups of round robins with matches only for the title. We haven't had candidates' matches leading to a real world title since the 1995 PCA matches (there was also Kramnik-Shirov which went nowhere) and it doesn't look like we'll be seeing them again any time soon.

Kevin Bonham
03-06-2007, 05:30 PM
I was crowing in the shoutbox about being the only one to tip Rublevsky. But Ian was the only one to tip Bareev, so we are square (not that that sort of thing counts anyway!)

As far as I can tell, if Gelfand wins tonight I lead outright, unless Carlsen and Shirov both win in which case I share the lead with mangafranga and eclectic.

If Kasimdzhanov and Adams win tonight then Ian leads outright. If Kasimdzhanov and Shirov win then Ian and Garvin share the lead if Aronian wins, while if Carlsen wins ecelectic leads outright.

Garvinator
03-06-2007, 07:16 PM
I was crowing in the shoutbox about being the only one to tip Rublevsky. But Ian was the only one to tip Bareev, so we are square (not that that sort of thing counts anyway!)

As far as I can tell, if Gelfand wins tonight I lead outright, unless Carlsen and Shirov both win in which case I share the lead with mangafranga and eclectic.

If Kasimdzhanov and Adams win tonight then Ian leads outright. If Kasimdzhanov and Shirov win then Ian and Garvin share the lead if Aronian wins, while if Carlsen wins ecelectic leads outright.
Did everyone get all that ;)

Kevin Bonham
04-06-2007, 01:45 AM
Looks like I have the lead so I shall go first with my round 2 tips and give you all the opportunity to outguess me:

Aronian
Leko
Kamsky
Grischuk

eclectic
04-06-2007, 01:58 AM
I seem honour bound (a la capablanca v marshall's gambit) to respond with the anti-KEV!

Shirov
Bareev
Gelfand
Rublevsky

:P

Aaron Guthrie
04-06-2007, 08:23 AM
Shirov
Leko
Gelfand
Grischuk

pax
04-06-2007, 09:33 AM
I seem honour bound (a la capablanca v marshall's gambit) to respond with the anti-KEV!

Shirov
Bareev
Gelfand
Rublevsky

If that's a bet, you'd be wanting some pretty good odds on that lot :)

Brian_Jones
04-06-2007, 10:15 AM
Aronian
Leko
Gelfand
Rublevsky

Ian Rout
04-06-2007, 10:35 AM
Aronian
Leko
Gelfand
Grischuk

Garvinator
04-06-2007, 12:15 PM
I will put tips on once colours for each match have been drawn.

Kevin, are you going to give complete standings for the tipsters?

Intuition
04-06-2007, 02:25 PM
Very even field..hard to tip but heres my take :)

Aronian-Shirov - Regardless of the result here get ready for some great games adn plenty of decided games..shirov is so unpredicatable anything can happen, but Id have to say Aronian here.

Leko-Bareev - Leko will face a decent opponent for the first time in these matches. Should be a fair few draws and I think Leko's defensive play will get the better of him. Tipping underrated Bareev in an upset.

Rublevsky-Girschuk - Have to tip Girschuk here.

Gelfand - Kamsy - Kamsy is in top form but it will be much harder to win against a solid Gelfand. A close finish and will probably go to the death but ill go with Kamsy here.

In summary -
Aronian
Bareev
Girschuk
Kamsy

Axiom
04-06-2007, 03:06 PM
shirov
leko
grischuk
gelfand

pax
04-06-2007, 03:44 PM
I have to say that it is great to see a post-Rustam Gata Gamsky back in the top echelon of world chess. I had my doubts after his first few lukewarm results after his return, but recently he has proved that his 2700 is still fully merited. I think he will beat Gelfand.

WhiteElephant
04-06-2007, 05:46 PM
Looks like I have the lead so I shall go first with my round 2 tips and give you all the opportunity to outguess me:

Aronian
Leko
Kamsky
Grischuk

My tips are the same as Kevin's.

Unfortunately one of my favourites, Kasimdzanov, is out.

It would be great if Shirov could beat Aronian but I doubt he can do it.

Kamsky for World Champ!

eclectic
04-06-2007, 05:52 PM
I don't really want to give a certain someone more publicity in this thread during the candidates - hence the use of the colour white - but has the latest bidding sortie by his federation been met with silence by FIDE and the Mexico organisers? There seems to have been no official reaction to their now week old press release at all.

Oepty
04-06-2007, 06:35 PM
I pick,
Shirov
Leko
Rublevsky
Gelfand

Scott

Kevin Bonham
04-06-2007, 07:03 PM

Kevin, are you going to give complete standings for the tipsters?

By my count I'm on 6/8, Garvin, Brian and Ian are on 5, and eclectic and mangafranga are on 4, and all these other people who have just joined in are on zero. :lol:

eclectic
04-06-2007, 07:06 PM

Stop obfuscating!!

;)

Garvinator
04-06-2007, 07:24 PM
By my count I'm on 6/8, Garvin, Brian and Ian are on 5, and eclectic and mangafranga are on 4, and all these other people who have just joined in are on zero. :lol:
Well at least my possible selections have been reduced as I need to pick two different choices to KB to have any chance of 1st.

Metro
04-06-2007, 07:33 PM
Aronian
Leko
Grischuk
Kamsky

Basil
04-06-2007, 07:41 PM
Kasparov
Fischer
Adams
Duggan

eclectic
04-06-2007, 07:48 PM
Kasparov
Fischer
Adams
Duggan

This is not the "Who would you most like to have over for dinner?" thread.

:P

Kevin Bonham
04-06-2007, 10:58 PM
Well at least my possible selections have been reduced as I need to pick two different choices to KB to have any chance of 1st.

That depends on how keen you are for outright 1st as opposed to =1st. Or is there a countback system?

Capablanca-Fan
06-06-2007, 12:42 AM
I have to say that it is great to see a post-Rustam Gata Gamsky back in the top echelon of world chess. I had my doubts after his first few lukewarm results after his return, but recently he has proved that his 2700 is still fully merited. I think he will beat Gelfand.

Shows how good Karpov was, convincingly beating Kamsky when the latter was at his peak.

arosar
06-06-2007, 10:16 AM
I don't really want to give a certain someone more publicity in this thread during the candidates - hence the use of the colour white - but has the latest bidding sortie by his federation been met with silence by FIDE and the Mexico organisers? There seems to have been no official reaction to their now week old press release at all.

FIDE will consider the BCF's proposal at their Presidential Board meeting later this month.

AR

Intuition
06-06-2007, 02:09 PM
Where is will be thrown out...gee topa's managment ect annoys me..lol :)

Garvinator
06-06-2007, 02:29 PM
Shirov
Leko
Rublevsky
Gelfand

Garvinator
06-06-2007, 04:09 PM
The computer match has just started for those interested. Deep Fritz is white in Game 1.

Aaron Guthrie
06-06-2007, 04:40 PM
That depends on how keen you are for outright 1st as opposed to =1st. Or is there a countback system?Or tie-break via computer match.

Axiom
06-06-2007, 05:19 PM
If KB wins,could he then be referred to as "The Power Tipping Moderator"?

Kevin Bonham
06-06-2007, 05:22 PM
Computer match, game one, drawn.

eclectic
06-06-2007, 06:15 PM
Try not to tell anybody but the next phase of the candidates matches starts in about two and three quarter hours.

:D

Garvinator
10-06-2007, 08:04 PM
Computer match, game one, drawn.
Junior leads 3-1. Apparently Junior is on a processor that allows twice the speed of calculation that Fritz's equipment does.

If this is the case, it doesnt say much about which engine is stronger overall.

Aaron Guthrie
10-06-2007, 08:21 PM
Junior leads 3-1. Apparently Junior is on a processor that allows twice the speed of calculation that Fritz's equipment does.

If this is the case, it doesnt say much about which engine is stronger overall.I can't remember how many (elo) points double the speed is supposed to be worth, but it's a lot! Also double the speed is equal to about a ply extra each move isn't it?

Garvinator
10-06-2007, 09:16 PM
Also double the speed is equal to about a ply extra each move isn't it?Double the speed means it can reach a certain number of play alot quicker. Meaning that over a few moves Junior can achieve a greater ply than Fritz.

Against Rybka the processor speed differential would not be as telling as Rybka has been designed to not be a power hungry monster. For this match between Junior and Fritz, they are both designed to search by 'brute force' as it were, with Fritz having been designed to be more friendly for human use.

With all the cards in favour of Junior, I am not surprised by the score line.

Aaron Guthrie
10-06-2007, 09:28 PM
I went and looked up a test I did on the difference one ply makes (this was for a Uni essay). I used crafty and set one to 10ply and one to 11 ply. The result was +21 =27 -2. The ply is fairly low here and presumably the higher it gets the less difference it makes, but still interesting results.

ETA-Reading on I then blunder-checked it with fritz, and "found only 2 genuine blunders".

Garvinator
12-06-2007, 10:40 AM
Shirov
Leko
Rublevsky
Gelfand
Leko and Gelfand through, Shirov needs a win tonight to tie Aronian in game six and Rublevsky/Grischuk are tied 2.5/2.5.

So I have caught up to the leader :clap:

Basil
12-06-2007, 12:27 PM
None of mine appear to have made it through. In the interestes of saving everyone's time, I'll settle for an even 2/4, OK?

eclectic
12-06-2007, 12:30 PM
+1 ?2 -1 for me

Axiom
12-06-2007, 02:47 PM
shirov
leko
grischuk
gelfand
cmon shirov!.....will be keenly watching his must win game tonight.

Aaron Guthrie
12-06-2007, 02:57 PM
cmon shirov!.....will be keenly watching his must win game tonight.Lets just hope he is keenly playing.

Axiom
12-06-2007, 03:13 PM
Lets just hope he is keenly playing.
with our support tonight manga,he will have no excuse but to play keenly! :)

eclectic
12-06-2007, 03:24 PM
with our support tonight manga,he will have no excuse but to play keenly! :)

i'm rooking for shirov too!

:owned:

:cool:

Kevin Bonham
12-06-2007, 06:28 PM
So I have caught up to the leader :clap:

Only in terms of completed matches. On the remaining two matches you are behind in one of them and we're square in the other - but you still have a good chance of at least tying me when those are decided since you only need one to go your way to do so.

Abysmal play by Kamsky last night. He should be fined 500 ratings points. :eek:

Kevin Bonham
13-06-2007, 01:15 AM
Ian, Brian and I are tied in the tipping on 8/11 at present. If Grischuk advances then Ian and I win but if Rublevsky advances then Brian is the sole winner.