PDA

View Full Version : Real world championship - Kramnik:Leko

Kevin Bonham
15-05-2004, 09:28 PM
The nearest thing to a real world championship match/qualifier/something for a while will be underway in another four months. I see in Phil Viner's column today that Kramnik is quoted as saying Leko is the most difficult possible opponent for him right now, that he would rather play Kasparov and that he thinks his chances are no more than 55%.

Hence the poll.

Rincewind
15-05-2004, 11:53 PM
The nearest thing to a real world championship match/qualifier/something for a while will be underway in another four months. I see in Phil Viner's column today that Kramnik is quoted as saying Leko is the most difficult possible opponent for him right now, that he would rather play Kasparov and that he thinks his chances are no more than 55%.

Kramnik's been a bit quiet (almost Kaparovianally so) and what outings he has made, he has appeared a little shakey. Leko, on the other hand, appears to be keeping up his usual level of activity and been fairly consistent. I wouldn't underrate Leko's ability and his style may not suit Kramnik's game plan.

That being said, I think Anand is probably the most difficult opponent Kramnik could face right now. However, that ain't gonna happen, is it?

Garvinator
16-05-2004, 12:36 AM
That being said, I think Anand is probably the most difficult opponent Kramnik could face right now. However, that ain't gonna happen, is it?
we are talking about fide events remember, nothing is impossible with them :whistle: :uhoh:

Kevin Bonham
16-05-2004, 01:00 AM
we are talking about fide events remember, nothing is impossible with them :whistle: :uhoh:

Is Kramnik-Leko formally a FIDE event? If so it will probably be cancelled and we're wasting time talking about it. :wall:

Garvinator
16-05-2004, 06:40 AM
Is Kramnik-Leko formally a FIDE event? If so it will probably be cancelled and we're wasting time talking about it. :wall:

its not a formal fide event. I am starting to think more and more that the world of chess would be better off with an organisation other than fide :whistle:

Alan Shore
16-05-2004, 04:15 PM
its not a formal fide event. I am starting to think more and more that the world of chess would be better off with an organisation other than fide :whistle:

In the same way we'd be better off without CAQ. :whistle:

Kevin Bonham
16-05-2004, 05:46 PM
We need a new version of Godwin's Law for this BB, eg

As the length of the thread increases, the probability of a State Association being compared to FIDE approaches 1.

Garvinator
16-05-2004, 06:20 PM
We need a new version of Godwin's Law for this BB, eg

As the length of the thread increases, the probability of a State Association being compared to FIDE approaches 1.
:eek: :eek: ;) :lol: :lol: :whistle: :whistle:

Kevin Bonham
17-05-2004, 11:02 PM
Some asides in the lead-up to this match:

* The draw for colours was determined by a two-minute game between the players in which the first to land a piece on a preselected square would go White in the first game. In this "game" Leko played 17.Nf5 which was the magic square. Reports do not discuss whether the game continued past this point.

* Lautier as head of the ACP has given FIDE until October (http://www.chesscenter.com/twic/lautier130504.html) to announce a firm match between Kasparov and the winner of the Tripoli knockout event. If not, ACP may withdraw agreement from the reunification. (This is rather sneaky and clever actually, because it was the ACP's disagreement with FIDE over its players' agreement that led to so many top players withdrawing, meaning that FIDE will struggle to find sponsorship for a mismatch between Kasparov and <insert name here>).

* Kasparov is off ranting (http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=1642) in a self-serving fashion again, insisting that the solution should be a model in which the existing World Champion has no special rights.

Oepty
18-05-2004, 02:17 PM
Kevin, I think you are being a bit unfair to a couple of players left the FIDE KO. Topalov in particular I would give a good chance of pushing Kasparov in a match, although I don't think he would win. He also plays interesting chess which is more than can be said of Kramnik and Leko at times.
I believe Leko has a very good chance of beating Kramnik and Kasparov.

Scott

Kevin Bonham
18-05-2004, 03:20 PM
What's Topalov's record against Kasparov? They've had some fantastic stoushes but I don't remember Topa winning too many. It's true, there are a few people left in the FIDE knockout who are excellent players, but the field is so obviously weak that it will be hard to promote their acheivement in winning it. And that's assuming they do win - with FIDE's system it might well be another relative outsider who wins and qualifies to play Kasparov. Topalov is an interesting player but Shirov was even more so and there was never too much money about for a Kasparov-Shirov match even though Shirov had established his credentials by beating Kramnik. Just the perception that Kasparov would win too easily was enough to turn most sponsors off.

It's interesting how in the past few years Leko has gone from being a draw addict who was not considered a serious threat, to the situation now where he is spoken of as clearly in the top 4 along with Kasparov, Kramnik and Anand.

Oepty
21-05-2004, 11:15 AM
Kevin. My point really wasn't about sponsorship, although I would agree it probably going to be hard to get the money to hold a even a Topalov-Kasparov match.
As to Topalov's record against Kasparov I don't think it is good. Chessbase's online database has 4 games since 2000, 3 draws and a win to Kasparov. Before that Kasparov has a huge plus score, but Topalov did win a few as well. Kasparov best is clearly better than anything Topalov has produced, but I wonder whether Kasparov will be at his best. Kasparov-Morozevich is perhaps that best match we can hope for.

Scott

Kevin Bonham
21-05-2004, 08:09 PM
Kasparov-Morozevich is perhaps that best match we can hope for.

That at least could be close (and Moro is a very interesting player). I think Moro would have to get off to a very good start though. I don't see Moro as the type to come back fighting against Kasparov if the latter got off to an early lead.