PDA

View Full Version : Diplomacy

Rincewind
09-05-2007, 11:45 PM
Diplomacy is an Avalon Hill classic wargame.

Anyone here played it? If we can get 7 chesschatters interested maybe we can run a correspondence Diplomacy game.

You can read more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diplomacy_(board_game)

Basil
09-05-2007, 11:53 PM
Couple of problems:

1) The link has no reference material.
2) I've seen very little evidence of diplomacy on this board. Perhaps Watto?

bergil
10-05-2007, 12:15 AM
Try this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diplomacy_%28board_game%29#Basic_setting_and_overv iew
I'll give it a go

Basil
10-05-2007, 12:30 AM
My God! The bastardry! Love it. Will sit this one out due to time constraints. Can observers keep track of progress? How do they do that?

Rincewind
10-05-2007, 12:51 AM
My God! The bastardry! Love it. Will sit this one out due to time constraints. Can observers keep track of progress? How do they do that?

The easiest way to do it is for one person to fill the role of arbiter. The seven players PM their orders to the arbiter before the published deadline and then the arbiter publishes the order and the results thereof. Repeat until one player has 18 Supply Centres or all remaining players agree to a draw. If there isn't an experienced player who can act as arbiter then perhaps I can do it, or better still we have a proxy arbiter who receives the orders and after the deadline lapses then sends them to an experienced player (potentially me) and that player then resolves the orders and publishs results. The point is once the orders are known the order resolution process is deterministic.

Basil
10-05-2007, 01:00 AM
OK, is the process/ progress viewable on a virtual board or similar? Or are results kept in one's own counsel/ scraps of paper etc.?

Rincewind
10-05-2007, 01:15 AM
OK, is the process/ progress viewable on a virtual board or similar? Or are results kept in one's own counsel/ scraps of paper etc.?

We should be able to arrange something.

Basil
10-05-2007, 01:19 AM
Your thread is the first I have heard of this intruiging game. If I've heard of it before, it hasn't registered to any effective degree.

Sounds like fun. Sounds like swindling is a large part of the game - a bit like the 'Survivor' or 'Weakest Link' negotiation concepts. Then the skull-duggery and chickens roosting and knives in back really starts once the number of players dwindle! :eek:

Garrett
10-05-2007, 06:58 AM
I only played this game once, back when I was about 14 years old. The other players were experienced wargamers from Bundaberg and Rockhampton wargames club.

I was Germany (black pieces I think).

You can guess what happened next....... I was horribly mauled.

I have never played again.

Garrett
10-05-2007, 07:40 AM
Best of luck in organising the game.

It will be interesting to follow and hear the stories.

Rincewind
10-05-2007, 09:41 AM
I only played this game once, back when I was about 14 years old. The other players were experienced wargamers from Bundaberg and Rockhampton wargames club.

I was Germany (black pieces I think).

You can guess what happened next....... I was horribly mauled.

I have never played again.

Could have been worse, you could have been Austria-Hungary! :)

The game is reasonably well balanced given its patent asymmetry. Any side can win but some are easier to play than others. That was a long time ago so you could give it another go.

ER
10-05-2007, 10:03 AM
We first played this game at the Melbourne Chess Club in the '80s Bill Jordan and Jim Saros were unbeatable in the first place! :clap: Later on when I became an expert and nearly conquered the world Bill introduced his version of Dungeons and Dragons so I stuck to monopoly!:owned:
You youngsters when you learn how to play properly I 'll join in to give you a lesson or two!:whistle:
Cheers and good luck!

Garrett
10-05-2007, 10:27 AM
Could have been worse, you could have been Austria-Hungary! :)

The game is reasonably well balanced given its patent asymmetry. Any side can win but some are easier to play than others. That was a long time ago so you could give it another go.

Thanks for the invite but I will politely decline Rincewind.

Best of luck in oganising your game.

Cheers
George.

Basil
10-05-2007, 01:08 PM
You youngsters when you learn how to play properly I 'll join in to give you a lesson or two!:whistle:
*LOL*

You channeling me, mate? You do it with a bit more chutzpah! Not to mention credibilty ;)

Desmond
10-05-2007, 01:13 PM
Is it much like "Axis and Allies"? I have played that a few times.

Rincewind
10-05-2007, 05:47 PM
Is it much like "Axis and Allies"? I have played that a few times.

Sort of but not really and much much better. Hope that explains it. I've only played A&A a few times myself. From what I remember it is a bit like the old BB game Global Wars. I played Global Wars a bit and even wrote a terminal interface for the Amiga for that game some time in the late 80s early 90s.

The main features of Dimplomacy is that there are no dice rolls. A player cannot win by weight of tactical ability alone, you need to negotiate and convince others to do your bidding to have any chance of success. (There is a tactics only version of Diplomacy called Gunboat but I wasn't thinking of that as in that game anonymity is essential.)

So far we seem to have three interest parties...

Rincewind
bergil
heaviestknight

and nibbles from Howard and George. Unless we get a few more people signing up the game might be over before it begins.

Basil
10-05-2007, 05:52 PM
and nibbles from Howard and George. Unless we get a few more people signing up the game might be over before it begins.
In which case England would win on its merits ;)

Hey shall we have a thread on that - I promise it would be bigger than:
-- BOH
-- Clocks
-- Macs & PCs
-- The entire works of AC and AO together

:wall:

Desmond
10-05-2007, 07:52 PM
Sure, I'll try anything once.

Except that, Howard. How many times are you going to ask?

Rincewind
10-05-2007, 09:04 PM
Sure, I'll try anything once.

Anything worth doing is worth doing twice. Just to prove that the first time wasn't a fluke.

frog
10-05-2007, 11:29 PM
Hi Guys,

Ive been playing Dip for some time and enjoy it very much - if you need another player count me in - just let me know where/how we play the game on net or through snail mail. I ran into a guy a couple of years ago who ran something he called the Australian Diplomacy Forum and that worked ok except people kept dropping out of games.

Regards to ALL
George Howard

frog
10-05-2007, 11:48 PM
Hi Guys (again)

You might think I have an unfair advantage in this game of cross and doublecross having been an ACF President but really I enjoy the game. One hint dont consume stuff you shouldnt consume then write orders - I love it when guys do that they either forget to write orders for pieces or completely forget whom they are stabbing in the back etc and they become the next victim to any reasonably organised coalition of the willing.

Turkey is easy to play especially if Russia lets you have Black Sea. The most pleasing result apart from sometimes fluking a win was posting a Turkish Fleet in London.

Regards
George Howard

PS I will be playing a seven player game with full diplomacy over the October long weekend. We allow 1/2 hour for diplomacy apart from the first year when its only 15 minutes. I usually these days only play once a year as it takes 6 - 8 hours or so to as someone said get to 18 supply centres although we usually put a time limit on it then spend about half an hour analysing who actually won then burying the hatchets in each others skulls - not really but it is an addictive game dont pass up a game of seven players with full diplomacy.

Rincewind
10-05-2007, 11:49 PM
Current interested players...

Rincewind
bergil
heaviestknight
Boris
frog

Rincewind
10-05-2007, 11:55 PM
Turkey is easy to play especially if Russia lets you have Black Sea. The most pleasing result apart from sometimes fluking a win was posting a Turkish Fleet in London.

Turkish Fleet to London is a good trick. I've been playing against some AI engines and soloing with Turkey usually happens before my fleets get out of the Mediterranean. By that stage usually already control Italy, Austria-Hungary and Russia. so pretty close to 18 SCs right there by the time you throw in some neutrals. But I guess I'm a pretty conservative player tactially. I work at maintaining a front and trying to ensure no enemy units get behind it.

frog
11-05-2007, 12:47 AM
Hi
I didnt win the game when I got my Turkish fleet to London. I had two supply centres left stuff was happening elsewhere and my two fleets made it past Portugal then 1 made it to London and the next year I died. But I did get a Turkish fleet to London.

George

Rincewind
11-05-2007, 09:29 AM
Hi
I didnt win the game when I got my Turkish fleet to London. I had two supply centres left stuff was happening elsewhere and my two fleets made it past Portugal then 1 made it to London and the next year I died. But I did get a Turkish fleet to London.

Ah, I guess that happens. In one game I played a few nights ago, Russia ended up with 2 SCs, Kiel and Denmark and survived until the end of the game. Of course losing all your home SCs does limit your build options.

ER
11-05-2007, 10:05 PM
Froggyyyyyyyy, Rinceeeee!!!!
Don't reveal the tricks of the opening!!! (particularly when Howie is lurking around)!
Cheers and good luck!

Basil
11-05-2007, 10:07 PM
Froggyyyyyyyy, Rinceeeee!!!!
Don't reveal the tricks of the opening!!! (particularly when Howie is lurking around)!
Cheers and good luck!

Ha! You over-estimate me :P

ER
11-05-2007, 10:07 PM
Post a Turkish fleet in London, and Howie will never get out of there! LOL

Rincewind
11-05-2007, 10:09 PM

Ok, just about to go play some AIs...

Basil
11-05-2007, 10:10 PM
And you will have given me a raison d'etre!
damn, where's that circumflex button?

ER
12-05-2007, 12:39 AM
Here is one!
reson d'être :owned:
Cheers and good luck! :)

Basil
12-05-2007, 12:44 AM
And you will have given me a raison d'etre!

And you will have given me a raison d'être!

Thanks! Damn, I love copy and paste ;)

ER
12-05-2007, 12:58 AM
lol no i just wanted to show off I knew what circumflex means! :)
cheers and good luck!

Rincewind
12-05-2007, 04:20 PM
Looks like we will have probably filling a game. Given the player shortage we have a couple of options.

Option 1.

We arrange a time to play simultaneously online. Will probably take several hours to finish a game but we should be able to save the game at the scheduled finish time and take it up again in a subsequent session.

This could work by you guys downloading the AImapper and connecting to my machine when I will host the server application and I will run automated AI engines for the other players. We can either play gunboat or allow full press and just let the bots play gunboat. In this scenario I get to play. :)

Option 2.

I host the game on chess chat without participating and fill the remaining places with AI bots. I recommend allowing full press between humans and let the bots try and compete. Players PM orders to me before a published deadline and orders and results are posted on a thread here.

In this scenario I am a dedicated arbiter and don't play.

In both cases the biggest source of imbalance will be the bots vs human starting countries. That will be randomised and it will be up to the humans to play whatever situation they fnid themselves in to the best of their ability.

What say you?

bergil
12-05-2007, 04:51 PM
Looks like we will have probably filling a game. Given the player shortage we have a couple of options.

Option 1.

We arrange a time to play simultaneously online. Will probably take several hours to finish a game but we should be able to save the game at the scheduled finish time and take it up again in a subsequent session.

This could work by you guys downloading the AImapper and connecting to my machine when I will host the server application and I will run automated AI engines for the other players. We can either play gunboat or allow full press and just let the bots play gunboat. In this scenario I get to play. :)

Option 2.

I host the game on chess chat without participating and fill the remaining places with AI bots. I recommend allowing full press between humans and let the bots try and compete. Players PM orders to me before a published deadline and orders and results are posted on a thread here.

In this scenario I am a dedicated arbiter and don't play.

In both cases the biggest source of imbalance will be the bots vs human starting countries. That will be randomised and it will be up to the humans to play whatever situation they fnid themselves in to the best of their ability.

What say you?
As a total newbie I don't mind either option but I think you'd like to play so I'll go with option 1.

Getting everyone online at one time seems a problem perhaps we need to make moves/orders every 1-2-3-7 days.

Rincewind
12-05-2007, 04:59 PM
Getting everyone online at one time seems a problem perhaps we need to make moves/orders every 1-2-3-7 days.

In the online option I was hoping to get many moves in one session. If we can schedule a 1 ot 2 hout timeslot when people can play we should be able to get in lots of moves, depending on the amount of diplomacy that goes on. Note: Option 1 might not be practical whcih is why I included option 2.

I think the ideal scenario for internet diplomacy would be a computer arbitered game with the players wheeling and dealing via skype or MSN and playing simultaneously and with reasonably quick deadlines (like 5 minutes per move).

frog
14-05-2007, 12:50 PM
Hi,

I will try to workin with whatever but sounds like we should just play all against all without diplomacy in the first instance to see how the methodology works but like i said whatever the games Master wants.

Regards

Rincewind
16-05-2007, 09:26 PM
OK. In the interest of engendering some following here and then perhaps getting enough players to get a fully human game I think we will go for option 2.

bergil
heaviestknight
Boris
frog

will play powers and the other three powers will be played by the computer. I think I'll make the computer Italy, Austria-Hungary and Germany as they are quite often the meat in the sandwich and I will allocate Russia, Turkey, France and England to the four humans randomly.

This is to be a press level 0 game. This means the players should not discuss the game with each other at all. I ask all players respect this aspect of the game. It keeps it fair and interesting for all.

Deadline for playing moves will be generally 3 days for Spring and Fall and 1 day for retreats (if required) and 1 day for Winter (if required). If this is not too everyone's liking then let me know before you miss a deadline.

Moves are to be PMed to me here. I will process them along with the computer generated moves and post results in a soon to be created thread for the game.

The rues of Diplomacy, maps and strategies, etc can be checked out on here...

http://www.diplomacy-archive.com/home.htm

I'll post a new thread with the player allocation and initial position shortly...

frog
16-05-2007, 09:53 PM
Hi All,

Looking forward to an interesting game - good luck to all - until the game starts of course.

Regards

ER
17-05-2007, 01:22 AM
I don't think this game gonna be any fun without Gunner though!
Can we somehow entice him wo play?
Cheers and good luck!

Rincewind
17-05-2007, 08:58 AM
I don't think this game gonna be any fun without Gunner though!
Can we somehow entice him wo play?
Cheers and good luck!

Come on Gunner. You can play Germany. Just model yourself on Kaiser Willhelm II. :)

frog
17-05-2007, 10:08 AM
Comeon howie comeon comeon comeon Howie Comeon.

regards

Trent Parker
06-06-2007, 05:07 PM
I've had a read and i'm interested....... what do we need to start?

Rincewind
06-06-2007, 05:11 PM
There is a game in progress here (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=6377)

You you want to get a taste for it, I can assign you to one of the bots (France, Germany, Italy or Turkey) randomly and you can take over from Spring 1906.

Basil
06-06-2007, 05:26 PM
I've had a read and i'm interested....... what do we need to start?
:clap:

bergil
06-06-2007, 05:38 PM
:clap:So are you in Gunner? We could start an all player game while the other goes on, what do you all say?

Rincewind
Frog
Bergil
TCN
Josh
Boris
Gunner
Eclectic

Rincewind
06-06-2007, 05:53 PM
So are you in Gunner? We could start an all player game while the other goes on, what do you all say?

Rincewind
Frog
Bergil
TCN
Josh
Boris
Gunner
Eclectic

Sounds good. I'd recommend people who haven't played before to at least review the game in progress thus far, if possible they should put their hand up to take over a bot for a couple of years to get a feel for the game mechanics.

Basil
06-06-2007, 06:22 PM
I'm really very sorry. I can't commit to the brainspace and the regularity. I do feel like I'm letting the side down, but I'll pass.

I will be your most ardent supporter thougt!

Desmond
06-06-2007, 06:49 PM
You you want to get a taste for it, I can assign you to one of the bots (France, Germany, Italy or Turkey) randomly and you can take over from Spring 1906.Can I miss 2 turns and then rejoin as Italy?

Rincewind
06-06-2007, 09:34 PM
Can I miss 2 turns and then rejoin as Italy?

Sorry, rejoiners get back their old country, if still available. Your best bet is to be eliminated and then apply to come back. :)

Garvinator
06-06-2007, 10:01 PM
Got to admit, this really does seem complex, even after reading the instructions and some of the advice. :uhoh:

frog
08-06-2007, 12:49 AM
Hi Rince,

I will play all human game - all against all - an absolute pleasure!

FROG

Rincewind
11-06-2007, 06:18 PM
For handy reference here is the rules summary from page 23 of the official handbook.

22 rules to help you resolve orders

1. All units have the same strength.

2. There can only be one unit in a province at a time.

3. Equal strength units trying to occupy the same province cause all those units to remain in their original provinces.

4. A standoff does not dislodge a unit already in the province where the standoff took place.

5. One unit not moving can stop a series of other units from moving.

6. Units cannot trade places without the use of a convoy.

7. Three or more units can rotate provinces during a turn provided none directly trade places.

8. A unit not ordered to move can be supported by a support order that only mentions its province.

9. A unit ordered to move can only be supported by a support order that matches the move the unit is trying to make.

10. A dislodged unit can still cause a standoff in a province different from the one that dislodged it.

11. A dislodged unit, even with support, has no effect on the province that dislodged it.

12. A country cannot dislodge or support the dislodgment of one of its own units, even if that dislodgment is unexpected.

13. Support is cut if the unit giving support is attacked from any province except the one where support is being given.

14. Support is cut if the supporting unit is dislodged.

15. A unit being dislodged by one province can still cut support in another.

16. An attack by a country on one of its own units does not cut support.

17. A dislodgment of a fleet necessary to a convoy causes that convoy to fail.

18. A convoy that causes the convoyed army to standoff at its destination results in that army remaining in its original province.

19. Two units can exchange places if either or both are convoyed. (This is the exception to Rule 6.)

20. An army convoyed using alternate convoy orders reaches its destination as long as at least one convoy route remains open.

21. A convoyed army does not cut the support of a unit supporting an attack agasint one of the fleets necessary for the army to convoy. (This supersedes Rule 13.)

22. An army with at least one successful convoy route will cut the support given by a unit in the destination province that is supporting an attack on a fleet in an alternate route in that convoy. (This supersedes Rule 21.)[/QUOTE]

If there are any questions they are expanded in more detail in the official source or ask a question here.

bergil
15-06-2007, 08:38 AM
Got to admit, this really does seem complex, even after reading the instructions and some of the advice. :uhoh:Not really gg just have a look at the game running now to see how the moves work.

C'mon put your name down for the next all player game. ;)

ThorinMunro
17-01-2008, 02:45 PM
There is an established Diplomacy association of Australia and NZ, link is: http://www.daanz.org.au/index.html

Lists upcoming ANZ tournaments, results, historical rankings, hobby information and links.

ThorinMunro
17-01-2008, 02:49 PM
Australian Diplomacy Championship 2008
Sat 26th, Sun 27th, Mon 28th January 2008
(Australia Day long weekend)

131 Smith Street, Summer Hill, Sydney

Format: Continuous. Play up to 6 games, best 4 counted.
Tournament Director: Thorin Munro
Scoring System: Owls System (modified Cricket). No Time Draws.
Cost: $25 for the 3 days or $10 per round.
Prizes: by the Australian Board Gamers League www.abgl.com.au

1st Prize: Return Airfares & Accommodation to attend World Dip Con 2008 http://www.wdc2008.org/en/ in Burg Lockenhaus (Vienna) Austria Thursday 14th August 2008 - Sunday 17th August 2008 to the Value of A$3000.00!! The WDC tournament organisers have arranged a free shuttle bus from Vienna to the tournament Venue, which is a Castle more than 800 years old and among the most popular tourism sites in Austria.

Minor Prizes: 2nd/3rd, Best Countries, Best Novice

Free Refreshments: Tea, coffee, soft drinks and snacks.
ADC Dinner: Saturday 26th January, 7:00pm

Information: Thorin Munro: thorinmunro@hotmail.com

ThorinMunro
17-01-2008, 02:52 PM
Melbourne Diplomacy Open
Saturday 19th + Sunday 20th January 2008

at

The Melbourne Chess Club
66 Leicester St Fitzroy

Starting at 11.00am on the Saturday.

Entry will be $15 for the two days.

Please contact myself or Grant Szuveges (0401 925 075) if you want to take part.

Cheers
Bill Brown (billbrown499@hotmail.com)

ThorinMunro
17-01-2008, 02:56 PM
Probably the best site for online Diplomacy is the Diplomatic Pouch: http://www.diplom.org/index.py

There are many others including...
http://www.redscape.com/
http://www.stabbeurfou.org/

I am an experienced game master and can help players set up an online game on the dpjudge, if interested.

frog
21-01-2008, 03:45 PM
Hi Thorin,

I will try the online sites you suggest. There is no formal Diplomacy association in SA.

Regards

ThorinMunro
21-01-2008, 04:38 PM
The 2008 Melbourne Open Diplomacy Tournament was able to attract 14 players over two days and three rounds. Six games of Diplomacy were played.

Grant was able to attract a mixture of current dip players, chess players from the Melbourne Chess Club and one past player (Rohan Keane).

Andrew broke the hoodoo to grab 1st place with Frank a very close ONE point behind....

1 37 Andrew Goff
2 36 Frank Meerbach
3 33 Rohan Keane
4 31 Chris Core
5 25 Gary Bekker
6 24 Rohan Flavelle (2 games)
7 23 Bill Jordan
8 20 Bill Brown
9 18.75 Guy Mischlewski
10 18.5 Grant Szuveges
11 18 Kim Colman
12 11.5 Sean Colman
13 11.5 John Wildes
14 0.75 Tristan (1 game)

Good news about Rohan becoming our 5th master!!!

Best countries were
England Frank 16
Germany Rohan K 16
Austria Goffy 12
France Guy 10
Russia Chris 9
Turkey Chris 8
Italy Gary 6

Thankyous to Sean for making the effort to come down from Sydney, Bill Jordan as President of the Chess Club for allowing us to use the venue, and a big one to Grant for organising, conjoling, and putting in a big effort that proved successful.

Grant via Bill

Rincewind
21-01-2008, 05:34 PM
Cool.

Well done Gary and Bill and any other chess guys who I don't know from the list of competitors.

ThorinMunro
21-01-2008, 08:12 PM
For info and all players welcome to join,

The 2008 ANZAC Cup is underway.

Following on the success of the 2006 & 2007 tournaments, I'm hoping the ANZ Diplomacy community once again supports and enjoys the experience of playing our game online.

Anzac Cup Honour Roll
2006: 1st Stephen Muzzatti, 2nd Thorin Munro, 3rd Tristan Lee [8 games, 31 players, TD: Greg Evans]
2007: 1st Jorge Garcia, 2nd Stephen Muzzatti, 3rd Bill Brown [14 games, 26 players, TD: Thorin Munro]

The first four 2008 tournament games are forming:

http://www.floc.net/dpjudge/?game=ac08_archer (started)
http://www.floc.net/dpjudge/?game=ac08_thinkbig (3 openings)
http://www.floc.net/dpjudge/?game=ac08_lightfingers (4 openings)
http://www.floc.net/dpjudge/?game=ac08_rainlover (3 openings)

The PRIVACYWORD to join is: ANZAC

Anyone new to playing on the dpjudge will first need to register at: http://www.floc.net/dpjudge/?variant=dppd

Then to join one (or more) of the above games send email message to dpjudge@floc.net

JOIN GAMENAME YOURPASSWORD ANZAC
SIGNOFF

You will be sent an auto-confirmation you have joined the game and can then log into the game web page. Where all press and orders can be managed and game maps appear.

Please contact me if you have any problems. I'll help get you started.

Regards,

Thorin Munro
Tournament Director

---------------------------------------------------------------------
ANZAC Cup 2008 – Tournament Rules

Eligibility: The tournament is open to Australian and New Zealand players and friends of the DAANZ (Diplomacy Association of Australia and New Zealand).
a. Player has Australian or New Zealand citizenship
OR
b. Player has (or will have) residence in Australia or New Zealand for some portion of 2008
OR
c. Player has attended a DAANZ affiliated tournament within the last 5 years

Format: The Anzac Cup 2008 is a Continuous Tournament. Players may enter and play in up to six (6) games. A player’s best four (4) results will be tallied for a final score.

Entry: Select a game or games from those available and join. Game openings will be available until the end of July 2008.

Game Start: A new game will begin once seven players join.

Power Allocation: In ALL games Power Allocation will be random.

Scoring: You will receive points for each game result using the Owls System (modified Cricket System).
TOURNAMENT SCORING
* 35 points for an 18+ centre VICTORY
* 1/4 point each year of survival in ELIMINATION or LOSS (maximum of 2 points)
* 1/2 point per centre for survivors in a LOSS (variation to pure CRICKET)
* 1 point per centre in a DRAW
* 3 points for surviving in a DRAW
* 1 point for being the outright leader in a DRAW

Replacement Players: Any replacement players will be sought from other Anzac Cup games. If you take over an abandoned position, it will not count toward your 6 game limit. If it is one of your best four results, it will be included in your final score. If you abandon a position you will score zero for that game and it will count in your 6 game limit. Leaving a game without the Tournament Directors approval will make you ineligible to join any later games.

Time Draws: There will be NO time draws.

Game Rules: FTF_PRESS, NO_MINOR_WAIT, LIST_WAITERS, LIST_UNORDERED, SMART_CD. Please familiarise yourself with these parameters at http://www.floc.net/dpjudge/?page=Rules

Timing: MOVE 3D NEXT 1D DAYS SMTWTFS WARN 12H, 3H

Absences: A player may set an absence for a maximum of FIVE days.

Progress Scores: I will post a list of cumulative scores at the completion of each game.

Tournament Director: Thorin Munro for all games. E-mail is thorinmunro@hotmail.com.

Appeals: The Tournament Director will be the final arbiter of any disputes.

ThorinMunro
21-01-2008, 08:17 PM
Cool.

Well done Gary and Bill and any other chess guys who I don't know from the list of competitors.

Grant Szuveges played in the 90's and rated about 2200. I believe Frank Meerbach also bridges both chess and Dip.

Chess players tend to quickly excel at the strategic and tactical elements of Diplomacy, the multi player negotiations are the fun extension!

ThorinMunro
21-01-2008, 08:28 PM
Hi Thorin,

I will try the online sites you suggest. There is no formal Diplomacy association in SA.

Regards

I only know of two active dpjudge players from Adelaide. I have just posted details of the Anzac Cup. It would be a good introduction to the ANZ hobby and the web interface is very easy to use.

ThorinMunro
27-01-2008, 06:15 AM
Tough and exciting days play. I am dog-tired and only have a short report to offer, with current standings.

Four games completed and a fifth in progress, 1905 and to be continued in the morning.

Game: Scarborough
A sensatinal 17 centre Italy by Andrew Goff, stopped by two new players Vaughn Smith (F) and Vijayan Thomas (G).

Game: HMS Supply
1906 draw with Boston / WA mathemetician, Peter McNamara as Germany handily topping the board.

Game: HMS Sirius
Fifteen each to Rob Stephenson (T) and Greg Evans (E) and Bill Brown as Italy and 4 centres in the middle.

Game: Price of Wales
Four way draw with Sean Colman (A) and Craig Sedgwick (I) at 15 a piece. Kim (F) and Guy (E) survived on 2 each.

Expect to be able to start two new games at 10am tomorrow (plus the in progress game). Please come and join us if you want to experience Diplomacy at its competitive and social best ...

Cheers,
Thorin

Player Total
Andrew Goff 21.000
Craig Sedgwick 19.250
Sean Colman 18.500
Greg Evans 18.000
Rob Stephenson 18.000
Peter McNamara 16.000
Vaughn Smith 13.000
Steve Lytton 12.000
Byron Smith 10.000
Vijayan Thomas 10.000
Geoff Kerr 8.000
Bill Brown 7.000
Kim Colman 6.000
Guy Mischlewski 5.500
Peter Jameson 4.000
Tom Drake-Brockman 3.000
Anthony Abdo 2.500
Jarrah Lacko 2.000
Thorin Munro 2.000
Brett Chatterton 2.000
Grant Svuzeges 1.500

ThorinMunro
27-01-2008, 08:38 PM
Day 2 saw the field reduce to about 15 players, however with continuous game starts everyone was kept busy. There was one carry over game from day 1, and four new games started today, with two of those also completed. So after day 2 we have completed seven games, have two in progress and an exciting final days play ahead!

Please feel free to call in for a game or two tomorrow. You will get a start, the vibe is great and competition sharp!

Any games still in progress will finish at 4pm Monday will be time drawn. A short clean up of the venue and presentation of Australian Champion plate and minor prizes follows shortly after. If you can't play, drop in to congratulate the new Champ!

To the game summaries...

Game: Golden Grove
The game played across day one and two end in a four way draw. Bill Brown (R, 16c) and Steve Lytton (T, 16c) played a 1911 steamroller to die for. Geoff Kerr and I managed to hide away in Liverpool and portugal respectively for 1c survival - my best result in the tournament to date :0

Game: Lady Penrhyn
A classic EFG ground its way across Europe. Goffy as F managed board top (12c) closely followed by Craig Sedgwick (E, 11c) and Guy Mischlewski (G, 10c) in 1907 ... and holed up in Turkey with a single centre survival was Greg Evans. Rob Stephenson (R) taken down in 2 years only.

Game: Friendship
A game I didn't follow closely, being busy taking punishment in another game. Sean Colman topped the board in 1906 as Germany with 11c. Only one elimination, being Peter McNamara's Russia. Nice recovery by Tom Drake-Brockmans Turkey, busted at 2c in 1904 but doubling up by the games end.

Game 8 & 9 carried over night.

For those into details ... day 2 standings:
1 Andrew Goff 38.00
2 Sean Colman 36.50
3 Craig Sedgwick 36.25
4 Steve Lytton 35.00
5 Rob Stephenson 32.50
6 Bill Brown 32.00
7 Greg Evans 29.00
8 Peter McNamara 27.25
9 Guy Mischlewski 27.50
10 Kim Colman 27.00
11 Vaughan Smith 24.00
12 Geoff Kerr 24.00
13 Tom Drake-Brockman 23.75
14 Byron Smith 24.00
15 Vijayan Thomas 25.00
16 Anthony Abdo 25.00
17 Grant Svuzeges 25.50
18 Thorin Munro 24.00
19 Peter Jameson 23.00
20 Brett Chatterton 22.00
21 Jarrah Lacko 23.00

frog
30-01-2008, 11:52 AM
Hi Thorin,

Just caught up with this thread - I've been very busy - will join as you suggested in earlier thread. Hope to kick your backside on the Dip board.
Thx mate.

ThorinMunro
31-01-2008, 11:15 PM
The 2008 Australian Champion is: Andrew Goff

Goffy managed to score 17 centres with Italy on day one and then go on to top another three boards. A masterful performance and we all look forward to having him represent ANZ at WDC08 in Austria!

The final days play saw two over night games completed and another three fast games played. Games were all competitive and played in a good spirit, with normal final day tensions :)

Special mention to both Craig and Greg who were only separated by a single point and who both had very strong tournaments. Goffy while leading, really only ran away with the tourney in his final game, scoring a 12c Russia after 1903.

Big thanks to Sean Colman for providing the very generous prize sponsorship of a trip to Austria, and to Bevco.com.au for the fridge full of juice and water. And to the travellers from Victoria and Boston, many thanks for your efforts in attending.

To the results:

1st Andrew Goff (VIC)
2nd Craig Sedgwick (NSW)
3rd Greg Evans (NSW)

Best Novice: Steve Lytton (VIC)

Best Powers
Austria: Sean Colman (15c, 1908, PoW)
England: Greg Evans (15c, 1909, Sirius)
France: Andrew Goff (12c, 1907, Lady)
Germany: Sean Colman (11c, 1906, Friend)
Italy: Andrew Goff (17c, 1911, Scar)
Russia: Bill Brown (16c, 1911, Gold)
Turkey: Steve Lytton (16c, 1911, Gold)

The full results table at the DAANZ website...
http://www.daanz.org.au/results/res-aus2008.htm

ThorinMunro
31-01-2008, 11:16 PM
Hi Thorin,

Just caught up with this thread - I've been very busy - will join as you suggested in earlier thread. Hope to kick your backside on the Dip board.
Thx mate.

My backside got got thoroughly kicked at the Aust Champs ... so why not in the Anzac Cup too!

Let me know if you have any trouble joining a game.

ThorinMunro
28-05-2008, 10:31 PM
Sydney Diplomacy Challenge
4-6 October 2008

Format: Continuous Format (Play up to 5, best 4 count).
Tournament Director: Thorin Munro/David Robertson
Scoring System: OWLS
Cost: $25 or $10 per day. NEW PLAYERS FREE.
Prizes: By the Australian Board Gamers League www.abgl.com.au
1st/2nd/3rd, Best Novice, Best Countries
Free Refreshments: Drinks by www.bevco.com.au and tea, coffee and snacks.
SDC Dinner: Summer Hill Hotel, Saturday 4th October, 7:00 PM

For more information contact:
Thorin Munro: thorinmunro@hotmail.com

http://www.daanz.org.au/dip-tournaments.htm#syd2008

ThorinMunro
03-09-2008, 04:51 PM
Sydney Diplomacy Challenge 2008

The tournament looks like it will attract more than 20 players and be both a social gaming event and an excuse to play some great games of Diplomacy.

Diplomacy is a game which chess players are able to pick up very quickly. There are diverse strategic elements, tactics galore AND the missing component in chess - the need to interact, negotiate and influence 6 other players in the game!

So if you are looking for a different experience to the weekend chess tourney, why not drop into Summer Hill Community Centre and play a game of Diplomacy. Like happened to me ... you might get hooked :D

Cheers,

Thorin

Rincewind
03-09-2008, 04:58 PM
Hi Thorin. Good luck with the tournament.

ThorinMunro
09-09-2008, 05:18 PM
Thanks. We're hoping to attract three boards. New players are always welcome and play for FREE!!

ThorinMunro
04-10-2008, 09:34 PM
Day 1 summary & results:

Over the course of the first day we have had 14 players participate, 8 of whom have never previously played in an ANZ Diplomacy tournament.

Three games played.

Avalon drawn after 1908 with JC's 12c Turkey looking strong, opposed by an cobbled together EFG (Rob, Tom Tian and Gabriel).

Balmain a 1904 draw, a good training game for many of the newcomers. Goffy pipped us at the post!

Clovelly a tough contest with seasoned players. Goffy took the foot of the accelerator and his big Russia ceded a gentleman's draw in a very strong position after 1906. Tom Drake-Brockman (E) and JC (F) were equal second and locked in combat. Tenacious single centre survival for Scott as Austria....

So we have a very close race for the lead, with the two best players well positioned for day 2. If you are planning to join us, please do. You will get a game and enjoy the company!

Oh, and we managed to play three games of Ticket to Ride, Europe during the day.....

Sydney Diplomacy Championship 2008
Day 1 standings.
1 Andrew Goff 26.00
2 Jean-Christian Imbeault 25.00
3 Tom Drake-Brockman 18.00
4 Louis Cheung 17.00
5 Tom Tian 11.00
6 Rob Schone 10.00
7 Gabriel Singer 10.00
8 Caroline Wong 9.00
9 Sean Colman 16.00
10 Thorin Munro 7.00
11 Scott Etherington 4.00
12 Jake Cruwys 2.50
13 Kim Colman 1.75
14 Darcy Wright 1.00

ThorinMunro
05-10-2008, 07:23 PM
SDC 08 - Day 2 summary and results

Much smaller turnout for day 2, the field whittled to serious contenders! Geoff Kerr became the 15th participant and we played two good quality games..... daylight saving caught Goffy out, combined with a late night in the city. Didn't seem to affect his strong play though.

Game: Dee Why
This was a great game by Kim Colman, as Germany (10c), who has really grown into an accomplished player. France (Thorin) and England (Geoff Kerr) were artfully played off against each other. First though she worked with Geoff to demolish Jean_Christian's Russia, who eventually found refuge in Ankara. Meanwhile in the East, Gabriel Singer as Italy (10c) ground down Austria (Sean) and then Jake's Turkey. Kim made the stab of the tourney when she busted Geoff's English position ... before that he'd been looking very dangerous. Great game by all.

Game: Edgecliff
Goffy joined this game and ruled the roost as Germany (9c) from the outset, more-so when England (JC) and France (Jake) bounced in the ENC in S01. Three easy builds, then a campaign against England (who eventually holed up in Spain ... JC is tenacious:) In the East, Kim (Austria - 7c) and Thorin (Italy - 7c) played a classic Lepanto to skewer Geoff's Turkish position by 1903. Sean (Russia) was always under pressure and ended up fighting alongside Goffy's troops on the borders of Autsria. Another enjoyable game.

To date Goffy has played and won three games and is in his own league. Very short odds to clinch the title in the final game tomorrow. But then again, who knows ... there are other players within striking distance.... stay tuned!

1 Andrew Goff 39.00
2 Jean-Christian Imbeault 33.00
3 Thorin Munro 27.00
4 Kim Colman 24.75
5 Sean Colman 24.00
6 Gabriel Singer 23.00
7 Tom Drake-Brockman 18.00
8 Jake Cruwys 17.50
9 Louis Cheung 17.00
10 Tom Tian 11.00
11 Rob Schone 10.00
12 Caroline Wong 9.00
13 Geoff Kerr 6.75
14 Scott Etherington 4.00
15 Darcy Wright 1.00

ThorinMunro
06-10-2008, 09:13 PM
SDC 08 - Day 3 summary and final results

Congratulations to Andrew Goff - Diplomacy Champion of Sydney for 2009!!!

There was an overnight recruiting drive as it looked like we might get stuck with just 6 players for the final day's play. Fortunately Stephen Muzzatti had an itch to scratch and travelled in from Penrith. The final round table was high quality, there's a natural weeding process over a tough three days :)

Game Fairlight
When Goffy drew Austria a couple of us who were still in the hunt thought we may have been in with a chance. In the West, Kim (F), Sean (G) and Thorin (E) started with a slow "EFG" ... which the East called and mobilsed to block. This played in to Turkeys hand (Muz) and put Russia (Geoff) and Italy (Jean-Christian) under a lot of pressure. In the middle Goffy was busy marshalling the 4-way alliance and managing to grow nicely along the way. In Fall 1903 my England brutally stabbed the until then very happy German. To his credit Sean found ways to be useful on the stalemate line and then headed for a hideout in Brest when AET demolished his homeland. Kim meanwhile chipped away at Italy, relatively happy to see England and Germany locked up.

Goffy and Muz kept pushing forward and forcing Geoff and JC right onto the front lines. Geoff had played the puppet for 5 years and came up with a daring plan to stab Turkey, and potentially grow again. It meant trusting England :( His radical moves ultimately cost him survival but really opened up the game. In the end, Goffy (9c), Muz (7c) an Kim (5c) worked well together to control England (12c). The draw agreed after 1908.... A game worthy of a final round!

Special mention to Jean-Christian. Playing in his first Australian tournament after a few games in Canada and the USA many years ago. He scored two great results on the first day and was running second until the final game. He fought tenaciously and made two 'saves' on day 2 surviving twice on a single unit. In his last game Goffy snaffled his last two Italian cities.... He still managed third place and will be a strong addition to the ANZ hobby. On a similar note Gabriel Singer, another first time FTF tournament player, played just two games, with a 7c Germany and a 10c Italy. Look forward to seeing how he scores with a couple more games.

For your diary: AUSTRALIAN CHAMPIONSHIPS. January 24-26th 2009.

1 Andrew Goff 51.00
2 Thorin Munro 43.00
3 Jean-Christian Imbeault 33.00
4 Kim Colman 32.00
5 Sean Colman 27.00
6 Gabriel Singer 23.00
7 Tom Drake-Brockman 18.00
8 Jake Cruwys 17.50
9 Louis Cheung 17.00
10 Tom Tian 11.00
11 Rob Schone 10.00
12 Stephen Muzzatti 10.00
13 Caroline Wong 9.00
14 Geoff Kerr 8.50
15 Scott Etherington 4.00
16 Darcy Wright 1.00

Space_Dude
18-10-2008, 05:05 PM
Sounds like alot of fun, i could give it a go, altough i have no idea how to play...:doh: :doh:

CameronD
18-10-2008, 05:15 PM
Sounds like alot of fun, i could give it a go, altough i have no idea how to play...:doh: :doh:

I've never played the game either

Space_Dude
18-10-2008, 05:39 PM
I have just joined a diplomacy forum hope i learn from it if you want the address for the forum please PM Me.

Thanks
Tony

Space_Dude
18-10-2008, 07:43 PM
and if your looking for online quick games Supremacy 1914 is the one for you. no downloads required!

ThorinMunro
22-10-2008, 08:31 PM

G'day Tony,

Chess players pick up the mechanics of Diplomacy very quickly. I used to play OTB chess as my game of choice (mid 80's to late 90's with an U2000 rating) but have since migrated to Diplomacy. Seven players wheeling and dealing under time pressure every move, is both fun and nerve wracking:)

If you or Cameron, or anyone else reading this thread would like help getting started into the game, drop me a line. Internet based games are readily available and good place to gain experience. Or attending a tournament as a spectator or new player is fine. Be warned it can be addictive!

Cheers,
Thorin
thorinmunro@hotmail.com

ThorinMunro
22-10-2008, 08:33 PM
I'm pleased to advise the generous sponsorship by Seropeco / ABGL of the Australian Diplomacy Championships will continue into 2009. The 2009 Australian Champion will win a return airfare and accommodation to World Diplomacy Championships 2009....in the USA.

Australian Diplomacy Championships
24 - 26 January 2009
Format: 5 Rounds over 3 Days (Continuous tournament).
Scoring System: Owls System (Modified Cricket)

Cost: $25 for the 3 days or $10 per Round. NEW PLAYERS FREE.

Prizes By the Australian Board Gamers League www.abgl.com.au and Seropeco www.seropeco.com.au

1st Prize: Return Airfares & Accommodation to the Value of A$3000.00 to attend:
World DipCon Championship
Wednesday 24th June 2009 - Sunday 28th June 2009
Columbus Ohio, United States

Other Prizes: 2nd/3rd, Best Countries, Best Novice
Free Refreshments: Tea, Coffee, soft drinks and snacks. www.bevco.com.au

ADC Dinner: Saturday 24th January, 7:00 PM
For more information contact: Thorin Munro: thorinmunro@hotmail.com

ThorinMunro
27-12-2008, 06:58 PM
The DAANZ website: http://daanz.org.au/

There are two recent DAANZ newsletters at:
Nov: http://daanz.org.au/daanz/DAANZ%20News%202008_11.pdf
Dec: http://daanz.org.au/daanz/DAANZ%20News%202008_12.pdf

ThorinMunro
27-12-2008, 07:03 PM
There are 22 players already registered. This will be the largest Diplomacy event in ANZ in the last five years. A potent mix of Masters, experienced and new players... please join the Diplomatic fun!

Andrew Goff
Will Black
Stephen Muzzatti
Lambert Kiang (UNSW)
Tristan Lee
Jean-Christian Imbeault
Graham Allen
Sean Colman
Gabriel Singer
Leena Hu (UNSW)
Peter McNamara
Kim Colman
Jake Cruwys
Steve Lytton
Louis Cheung
Tom Drake-Brockman
Geoff Kerr
Caroline Wong
Thorin Munro
Bill Brown
Grant Steel
Rob Schone

ThorinMunro
25-01-2009, 07:27 AM
HOT HOT HOT

Sydney put on scorching, humid weather for the first day of the Championship. The community centre air-con was not able to combat the summer heat. So the games became not just a battle of diplomatic skills, but also a real test of stamina....

Opening up registration just on 9am, we quickly built up one, then two and then three boards ... and the players still kept rolling in. By 10am we had 26 signed in and were ready to go. There was a genuine feeling of 'now this is a real tournament'. Hungry Diplomats!

A quick welcome including a thank you to Sean and Seropeco for the incredible first prize (trip to Columbus Ohio for WDC). It's the third year his game company has sponsored the event in this magnitude. Our other sponsor is a boutique drinks company Springleaf Ice Tea, and as it turns out the fridge full got demolished over the heat-wave day! And so the gaming began. Three underway immediately... and two completely new players (Leena and Gavin) buddied up with players in games to tag along and see what the game is all about. Proved to be a very successful way of easing into a game.

Ashmore
Stephen Muzzatti (E/15) and Geoff Kerr (F/11) stormed the board. Game drawn after 1908 when it was clear Muz was not able to solo and may well, if he pushed it, begun a downward slide. Unfortunately Muz could only play on this day. Rob Schone (T/3) and Graham Allen (A/5) survived as little guys in the corner. Whilst Kim, Matthew and Gabriel were all squeezed off the map. Welcome to Matthew Woodburn, 'blooded' so to speak in his first tournament game.

Bribie
Short game to 1905 with just one fatality (Jake as Turkey). Peter McNamara topped the board as Austria (8). Surprise was Goffy being contained as England (6). Others on the board included a new and tenacious Lachlan Scarf (F/2) holed up in Iberia, Will Black (G/6), JC our unofficial photographer (I/6) and Steve Lytton (R/6). Everyone warming up to the tournament (and overheating by midday from the weather!)

Cockatoo
Tristan Lee was on song, scoring a strong game (E/16) by end 1909. Properly stalemated by newcomer Garth Harkins (F/1), come-back kid Shane Cubis (I/6) and Canberran Liam Cosgrove (T/11) also scoring well. First tournament for Chris Hennessy who is in Sydney on holiday from Tasmania. His gaming group have been playing a monthly game of Diplomacy. Despite being chopped up as Germany by the marauding Tristan and Garth (before Garth became Tristan's next SC souce :), Chris became one of the new player coaches for Gavin Walters in game Dangar. Another tournament debutante Damian Thornley, Sydney local from Earlwood. Said he had a great time even if his booming Russia (7 SC in 1902) fell off a cliff in 1905 (5 sc to 0... one year). And stalwart Tom Drake-Brockman as Austria also suffered a pirahna attack, out in 1904....

Dangar
Another short one to end in 1904. Four new players thrown in with Sean (A/5), Thorin (T/5) and Bill (I/5) ... and by and large the newbies held their own and even showed the 'experienced' players a thing or two. Youngster Jake Cruwys sounded like he'd won the grand final when he topped the board (F/7). Great to see after a string of eliminations and tough games at SDC 08 and his first game squishing in Bribie. Leena Hu survived (R/1) and learned some key things about being decisive, and Gavin Walters played a solid Germany (5 sc). Tom Drake-Brockman made up for that first game elimination with a quick English 6. Very peaceful draw agreed with everyone still alive!

Esk
!!!!!SOLO!!!! Well something must have got Goffy, the defending champion, very motivated. He controlled the game from the outset as Germany and scored a HUGE 23sc....in 1908. What to say? My distant observation was that Goffy managed to eliminate his main rivals in the West, Peter McNamara's England and Lachlan Scarf in Russia, and dived across the stalemate line into Tyrolia and then into an undefended Venice. And then just kept rolling. Will Black's Austria got to 10sc in 1905 , but then it was all down hill left with 1sc at the finish. The lurking Turk Chris Hennessy picked up 7sc as a very minor consolation. Everyone around the board looked completely exhausted from the game and the heat. Except the cheeky, cheerful maestro, Mr Goff! Well played.

Granite (in progress)
Early days with an EFG looking solid and the East (minus Geoff Kerr's Austria) scrambling. Early days. And I'm in this one so I might keep my kibitzing to myself :)

Progress scores follow. Looking for more great games and cool change in the weather tomorrow. Come along for a game!

Australian Diplomacy Championship 2009

DAY 1 Results.

Player
1 Andrew Goff 9.00 35.00 44.00 2
2 Tristan Lee 20.00 20.00 1
3 Stephen Muzzatti 19.00 19.00 1
4 Geoff Kerr 14.00 14.00 1
5 Liam Cosgrove 14.00 14.00 1
6 Peter McNamara 12.00 1.50 13.50 2
7 Will Black 9.00 2.50 11.50 2
8 Jake Cruyws 0.50 11.00 11.50 2
9 Tom Drake-Brockman 0.75 9.00 9.75 2
10 JC Imbeault 9.00 9.00 1
11 Steve Lytton 9.00 9.00 1
12 Shane Cubis 9.00 9.00 1
13 Graham Allen 8.00 8.00 1
14 Sean Colman 8.00 8.00 1
15 Gavin Walters 8.00 8.00 1
16 Bill Brown 8.00 8.00 1
17 Thorin Munro 8.00 8.00 1
18 Rob Schone 6.00 6.00 1
19 Chris Hennessy 0.50 5.50 6.00 2
20 Lachlan Scarf 5.00 0.75 5.75 2
21 Kim Colman 0.75 3.50 4.25 2
22 Garth Harkins 4.00 4.00 1
23 Leena Hu 4.00 4.00 1
24 Gabriel Singer 1.75 1.50 3.25 2
25 Matthew Woodburn 1.75 1.75 1
26 Damian Thornley 1.25 1.25 1

CameronD
25-01-2009, 02:13 PM
Never played the game, found nothing in brisbane on it either.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ps diplomacy isnt a sport either, just making sure.

Garrett
25-01-2009, 03:34 PM
Thanks for posting the results Thorin.

I used to be a member of a club in Rockhampton that played a lot of the old board games.

- Diplomacy
- Star Fleet Battles
- Advanced Squad Leader
- Brittannia
- Civilisation
- Car Wars
- Circus Maximus

as well as RPG's.

Brings back memories...

Cheers
Garrett.

Rincewind
25-01-2009, 06:38 PM
- Advanced Squad Leader

If anyone in the Wollongong area is interested in playing this let me know.

ThorinMunro
25-01-2009, 09:49 PM
Quote of the day (by Lachlan Scarf, at the pub after the day's play) "You guys are just like my uni mates, only older!" .... Scarfy, those twenty years fly by quickly :)

Thankfully a cool change blew into Sydney overnight and day 2 turned on very pleasant playing conditions. Much of the sweating returning to where it's meant to be, over the game moves and fickle alliances!

Two additional players arrived Sean 'Crusher' Phelan and Chris Goff, taking the total attendance to 28 over the two days. Five games were completed on day 2 and one still in progress. Not to mention Ticket to Ride Europe during the day and Attika and Power Grid down at the Summer Hill Hotel. Which is where I left about a dozen people, playing games drinking beer and attracting comments from curious patrons and staff. Maybe Scarfy is right after all.

To the games...

Granite
Continued over night from day 1. Steve Lytton was heading for a big score with Turkey guiding 'puppets' in Italy (me/6) and Russia (Sean Colman/2) against a slightly dubious EFG. A gamble by Italy and Germany (JC) to turn on their respective masters powers stopped both Turkey (9sc) and Graham Allen (E/7) in their tracks and effectively forced them to agree the draw. Leena Hu played her best game to date as France/5. Phew...

Fraser
Classic long alliance game with Bill Brown (R/15) and Shane Cubis (A/13) taking over the world by 1910. Crusher (E/1) and Tom Drake-Brockman (F/5) played well to surevive the onslaught...

Hindmarsh
Another great game played out to 1909. Will Black (F/13) and Geoff Kerr (G/7) had a long alliance until Will snaffled some of Geoffs cities. Andrew Goff (A/0) after soloing in his previous game, took a bullet here. Sean Colman played a lurking Turkey (10sc) to finish strongly.

King
Smash and grab by 1905? Thorin (R/12) and Chris Goff (E/8) were a strong alliance before Chris swung back and forced the draw onto an expansive Russian! In the East JC (T/1), Steve Lytton (A/5) and Leena Hu (I/3) cobbled together the other draw forcing co-allition. Liam Cosgrave played a solid France (5).

Lizard
Mini-Diplomacy? A very short, 1903 6-way draw suited Goffy (R/6) perfectly to add a few oints to his lead. Clearly everyone else was also happy to take some points from the game which began as an EFG. Supply centres split 6/6/6/6/6/4/0....

Magnetic
In progress... early days 1903-ish

If you are reading this and want to join us for a game, COME ALONG!!

Which brings me to the current standings:

Player
1 Andrew Goff 54.25
2 Steve Lytton 39.00
3 Thorin Munro 33.00
4 JC Imbeault 30.00
5 Will Black 28.50
6 Bill Brown 27.00
7 Graham Allen 26.00
8 Sean Colman 26.00
9 Shane Cubis 25.00
10 Geoff Kerr 24.50
11 Liam Cosgrave 23.25
12 Tristan Lee 22.00
13 Peter McNamara 20.50
14 Stephen Muzzatti 19.00
15 Leena Hu 18.00
16 Tom Drake-Brockman 17.75
17 Garth Harkins 14.50
18 Gabriel Singer 13.25
19 Jake Cruyws 11.50
20 Chris Goff 11.00
21 Gavin Walters 8.00
22 Lachlan Scarf 6.25
23 Chris Hennessy 6.00
24 Rob Schone 6.00
25 Kim Colman 4.25
26 Sean Phelan 4.00
27 Matthew Woodburn 1.75
28 Damian Thornley 1.25

ThorinMunro
26-01-2009, 06:55 PM
The big question on day 3 was could anyone catch last years champion Goffy?

He held a solid lead with a solo already on the scoreboard. The rest of the field largely left fighting for minor placings and best country awards...

Magnetic
Continued from the previous day. Bill Brown (F/16) and Thorin (G/16) forged a strong alliance and gradually pressed back the rest of the board. Germany had to scramble to handle the initial Italian (Liam) and Austrian (Tristan) foray into Tyrolia and Bohemia. France landed an army in Wales and conquered England (Leena) who defended very creatively and tenaciously. Meanwhile Russia (Crusher) quietly went about his business collecting 10sc by 1905 and Turkey (Shane) managed to hang on against an A-I attack long enough to break out when F-G turned toward the centre of the board. Unfortunately for Russia, an excess of units in Scandinavia, allowed the German to break into Warsaw and beyond (beware the convoy, Kiel to Livonia) and the mighty Tsar collapsed. Not helped by his erstwhile ally Turkey, stabbing for a couple of centres and the hopes of a balanced 3-way draw with F-G. Not to be as the blue and black juggernaut rolled on.

Norfolk
A very attractive alliance between Italy (Will/10), Austria (Liam/8) and Russia (Peter Mc/12) managed to navigate the bumps and jostles along their way and gained solid scores. On the other side France (Sean/4) relocated to English soil as Italy took over France itself... newcomer Matthew Woodburn (Germany) was keen enough to join day 3 play after having to miss day 2. He found himself surrounded by very experienced players and found it tough going. Look forward to seeing Matthew get more experience on-line and take on the FtF game again soon.

Rottnest
This was the 5th game Goffy played and he was keen to secure anything other than an elimination to secure his lead. Drawing and playing a patient Italy he gained 8sc by game end. JC (R/1) had a strong alliance with Gabriel (T/6) before the wheels fell off with a couple of unfortunate orders and a misplaced fleet in St Petersburg. Steve Lytton (E/8) made a shaky start down to 3sc in 1902, fought on in alliance with F-G and persevered to his goal supply centre goal. Leena (G/3) rounded off an incredible first tournament, going from zero experience to being capable of mixing it with very strong opposition. A very good student.

So when the dust settled and the results were tallied, Andrew Goff had won the Australian Championship for the second consecutive year. An incredibly consistent performance, particularly when taking into account his 2008 success in tournamanets. Now he will represent Australia at the World Diplomacy Championship in Columbus, Ohio later in the year. Courtesy of generous sponsorship by Seropeco games.

In all there were 28 players and 13 games played.

Following the completion of the presentation there was clearly many people who had made new friends and thoroughly enjoyed themselves through the intensity of the tournament. Look forward to seeing everyone (and their Diplomacy playing friends) same time, same place in 2010.

First Place: Andrew Goff
Second Place: Thorin Munro
Third Place: Bill brown

Best Novice Leena Hu (13th)

Best Austria Shane Cubis (13)
Best England Tristan Lee (16)
Best France Bill Brown (16)
Best Germany Andrew Goff (Solo)
Best Italy Will Black (10)
Best Russia Bill Brown (15)
Best Turkey Liam Cosgrave (11)

And the full results follow (or see www.daanz.org.au)

Australian Diplomacy Championship 2009

Player State Total
1 Andrew Goff Vic 64.00
2 Thorin Munro NSW 52.00
3 Bill Brown Vic 46.00
4 Steve Lytton Vic 42.00
5 Will Black NZ 41.50
6 Peter McNamara WA 36.50
7 Graham Allen Vic 36.00
8 Liam Cosgrave ACT 34.25
9 Sean Colman NSW 33.00
=10 JC Imbeault NSW 30.00
=10 Shane Cubis NSW 30.00
12 Geoff Kerr NSW 24.50
13 Leena Hu NSW 24.00
14 Tristan Lee Vic 23.00
15 Gabriel Singer NSW 21.25
16 Stephen Muzzatti NSW 19.00
17 Tom Drake-Brockman NSW 17.75
18 Garth Harkins NSW 14.50
19 Jake Cruyws NSW 12.75
20 Chris Goff ACT 11.00
21 Gavin Walters NSW 8.00
22 Kim Colman NSW 6.50
23 Lachlan Scarf NSW 6.25
=24 Chris Hennessy Tas 6.00
=24 Rob Schone NZ 6.00
=24 Sean Phelan NSW 6.00
27 Matthew Woodburn NSW 2.50
28 Damian Thornley NSW 1.25

ThorinMunro
29-01-2009, 04:01 PM
To: daanz-dip@daanz.org.au
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 22:40:02 +1100
Subject: [Daanz-dip] The very hungry Goffypillar

I didn't expect that, and must admit I am embarrassed as I was by no means the best player at the ADC on the weekend.

I want to apologise to Bill Brown and Thorin Munro in particular, both of whom played some sublime Diplomacy, including a spectacular 16-16 alliance. Both of them deny any effort at all in making that happen but it was spectacular! Stephen Muzzatti and Tristan Lee's England's were both also exceptional games. There were a few great Austran games, Will Black's sublime EG (and later his I in an AIR).... so many great games were played and I only had one of them.

I also think the one thing that dominated my thinking at the tournament (which I tried to say in the worst speech ever) was the quality of the new players, and of the "intermediate" players who any moment will crack the big time! Liam C., Kim Colman, JC (once he learns to stop misordering!), Steve L, Leena H, Chris H and last but not least Graham Allen are all future tournament winners... get out there guys and play in tournaments wherever you can as you are ready to dominate any moment now!!! The new players at the tournament were also really quality and some of them will be great if they stick at it!

In the end, I got a 23 centre Germany. Which is wrong for so many reasons I don't want to go into it here. What you all want to know is how, and really there were four points which made it happen:

1) Total Trust between France and Germany, and 100% working together from 1901 Spring. If Italy hadn't viciously attacked France, I would have gone 16/16 with Kim. Unfortunately

2) Without any prompting, Italy went for France - this left me able to get everything in England and excused my third fleet build. The key move was that I was able to order Mun-Tyl-Ven in one step earning France's unending support and breaking any stalemate line.

3) Will's over-reaction. On the turn I went from 10-13 Will screamed as loud as he could about me getting an 18. He had just gone 7-10. We stayed the same that year. The newish Turk looked at that and said "everything Goffy has said was right" and Will is using it as an excuse to keep me down. From here it was TFG Vs AI when it should have been TFA Vs G.

4) Keeping focussed on only taking centres from "the bad guys" not taking centres for myself... the stab came at 17, I wouldn't have even stabbed then except the opportunity for 23 instead of 18 was too much to resist.

The problem with all that is it was SO SIMPLE. Compared to some of the games mentioned above it was easy. It was NOT the best game of the tournament, just the biggest. I even rate my 8 centre Italy as a stronger game. I got very very lucky this time, and while I will take it I can't say it was as dominant as some at the tournament were suggesting.

Thorin is a superb organiser and once again was fearless and honest in his tournament directorship but, even more impressively, his promotional work was outstanding. No more words required :) Sean Colman must also be acknowledged as a great asset to the Diplomacy Community. A pain in the arse over the board, but someone who has happily found a crucial role which suits his skills and resources and which does enormous good for the prestige and wellbeing of the Australian Diplomacy hobby! Sean baby we love you!!!

Finally, for those who don't know, you all get a break from me now as I go off to London for a while. The maestro will be back, gunning for Rob Stephenson in the Masterpoints, before you know it... so make hay while the sun shines!

Cheers,

-Andrew

ThorinMunro
29-01-2009, 04:07 PM
Never played the game, found nothing in brisbane on it either.

---

ps diplomacy isnt a sport either, just making sure.

Hi Cameron,

Queensland Diplomacy Championship 2009
Date: Saturday 2nd and Sunday 3rd of May 2009
Venue: 40 Goodwin St, Moorooka, BRISBANE
Cost: $10 per round 25 for 3 rounds, new players free
Format: 2 rounds Saturday time drawn, 1 round Sunday no time draw
Scoring System: Cricket
Trophies for 1st, 2nd 3rd, Best countries
TD / Contact: Kit Burke (kitstjohn@yahoo.com) or Tony Collins (redmacropod@hotmail.com)

Kit would be a good person to contact in Brisbane. Tell him I sent you!

Cheers,

Thorin

ThorinMunro
29-01-2009, 04:09 PM
If anyone in the Wollongong area is interested in playing this let me know.

Greg Evans would be my suggestion. Wollongong based. A strong Diplomacy player and avid board gamer... greg@cyberelectric.net.au ... mention my name.

ThorinMunro
29-01-2009, 04:11 PM
Thanks for posting the results Thorin.

Cheers
Garrett.

My pleasure. Still hoping to attract the occassional chess player across to Diplomacy ... like happened to me many years back :D

Rincewind
29-01-2009, 05:37 PM
Greg Evans would be my suggestion. Wollongong based.

Thanks Thorin, I'll look him up when I get organised. I've also been thinking about joining the Guild which holds a board gaming night Mondays at UOW. The organiser of that seems to be a guy called Graham Billeau. They don't mention ASL but I hoped I might be able to find someone there.

ThorinMunro
30-01-2009, 03:17 PM
Photo's from the Australian Diplomacy Championship...

http://picasaweb.google.com/jc.imbeault/Diplomacy#

Desmond
30-01-2009, 03:21 PM
How do you decide who gets which side? Is it random or do players get a preference?

Garrett
30-01-2009, 04:10 PM
Greg Evans would be my suggestion. Wollongong based. A strong Diplomacy player and avid board gamer... greg@cyberelectric.net.au ... mention my name.

that name sounds very familiar from a long time ago, is he also a very good table top ancients wargamer ?

Cheers
Garrett.

ThorinMunro
31-01-2009, 03:05 PM
How do you decide who gets which side? Is it random or do players get a preference?

Random power allocation. With the proviso that through a tournament you only play a particular power once.

ThorinMunro
31-01-2009, 03:06 PM
that name sounds very familiar from a long time ago, is he also a very good table top ancients wargamer ?

Cheers
Garrett.

I don't know. The Greg Evans above would be in his early 30's....

Garrett
31-01-2009, 03:56 PM
I don't know. The Greg Evans above would be in his early 30's....

ok thanks Thorin, not the same person.

cheers
Garrett.

ThorinMunro
10-02-2009, 09:08 AM
Just posted the February edition of the DAANZ ezine.

Please follow the link: http://www.daanz.org.au/daanz/DAANZ%20News%202009_02.pdf

Read about
- The Australian Championship 2009 in detail (with colour pictures)
- Andrew Goff's ADC thoughts
- Two full game reviews
- Player feedback
- World Dipcon Bid announcement
- And a quiz by Will Black!

Thanks to all contributors and special thanks to JC and Tristan for all the photo's.

Cheers,

ThorinMunro
05-03-2009, 07:05 PM
Grant has confirmed the dates so we have a definite venue!

2009 Melbourne Diplomacy Open

Dates: 20/21 June 2009

Venue: Melbourne Chess Club, 66 Leicester St Fitzroy

Start: Saturday 20 June 10:00 am

Format: 3 rounds over 2 days

Entry: $15

Scoring System: OWLS

Contact: Bill Brown billbrown499@hotmail.com Ph: 0417 100 956 or Grant Szuveges nevermice@hotmail.com Ph: 0401 925 075

ThorinMunro
10-05-2009, 09:01 PM
Sat 3 - Sun 4 October 2009

Location: Summer Hill Community Centre, 131 Smith Street, Sydney, NSW

Format: Continuous tournament. Play up to 4 games over 2 Days. Best 3 games count.

Playing times: Saturday 10am - 10pm, Sunday 10am - 6pm.

Scoring System: Owls

Prizes: By the Australian Board Gamers League www.abgl.com.au and Seropeco www.seropeco.com.au
1st/2nd/3rd, Best Countries, Best Novice

Cost: $25 (or $15 single day), new players free

Free Refreshments: Tea, Coffee, soft drinks and snacks.

george
30-05-2009, 11:15 PM
Hi All,

After some time I found playdiplomacy.com which is a free site to play dip.

I have three games going so will keep you guys informed. One of the games I am taking over as England after the former England played badly then wimped out.

One of these years Thorin I would like to try the OZ champs but although i have played about 20 live games I will play on the site first then maybe next year.

regards

ThorinMunro
03-06-2009, 06:59 PM
George, For info ... still looking for more ANZ players... we're playing at the Diplomatic Pouch / dpjudge. Also free and an easy to use web interface.

----------------------
Congratulations to Stephen Muzzatti for a fine English solo in the
second Anzac Cup game.

Welcome to tournament debutantes: Nick Walls (NZ), Sean Colman and VJ
Thomas...

Game history, results and end of game press here:
http://www.floc.net/dpjudge/?game=ac09_jeffrey

There's an entertaing EOG debate if you're looking for something to
read ;)

Anzac Cup 2009 Progress

Player State Bryce Jeffrey Total (Best 4)
1 Stephen Muzzatti NSW 35.000 35.000
2 Andrew Goff VIC 19.000 3.000 22.000
3 David Blom VIC 16.000 16.000
4 Matthew Woodburn NSW 9.000 9.000
5 Sean Colman NSW 6.500 6.500
6 Nick Walls NZ 4.500 4.500
7 Steve Lytton VIC 2.000 1.500 3.500
8 Matthew Cobb-Clark NSW 2.000 2.000
9 Blake Colman NSW 2.000 2.000
10 Vijayan Roy Thomas NSW 2.000 2.000
11 Doug Melville ACT 1.750 1.750
12 Adam Schofield NZ 1.750 1.750

Next game forming: http://www.floc.net/dpjudge/?game=ac09_deane
Privacyword: ANZAC

Cheers,

Thorin

george
08-06-2009, 10:05 PM
hi Thorin,

Went to the site you suggested in earlier post. Could not make it work for me so gone back/continuing with playdiplomacy.com. I would be happy to play with you guys but cannot make the site work where as playdiplomacy is user friendly but sometimes the games get stuck.

But if i cant even work out how to use the site you suggested its not much use - it seems to be for people more proficient with computors than I am and who understand all the Dip jargon.

Thx anyway!

ThorinMunro
09-06-2009, 07:16 PM
Hi George,

If you are interested in trying again...

To play on the dpjudge, first you'll need to register an account there.

Follow this link: http://www.floc.net/dpjudge/?variant=dppd
Complete the "New Here" section and click on the "Become a DPjudge Player" button.

Once you have registered as a player you are able to join available games by emailing a JOIN command to the dpjudge@floc.net

Current game openings listed here: http://www.diplom.org/openings/openings.html#USDP

The syntax to JOIN is:
JOIN game_name yourPassword
SIGNOFF

If you have any trouble, email me at:
thorinmunro@hotmail.com and I'll be able to help you more directly.

Regards,
Thorin

ThorinMunro
09-06-2009, 07:20 PM
Sat 23 - Mon 25 January 2010

Australian Diplomacy Championship

Location: Summer Hill Community Centre, 131 Smith Street, Sydney, NSW

Format: Continuous tournament. Play up to 5 games over 3 Days. Best 4 games count.

Playing times: Saturday 10am - 7pm, Sunday 10am - 7pm, Monday 10am - 6pm.

Scoring System: Owls

Prizes: By the Australian Board Gamers League www.abgl.com.au and Seropeco www.seropeco.com.au
1st/2nd/3rd, Best Countries, Best Novice

1st Prize: Return airfare and accomodation to The Hague for World Diplomacy Championship 2010. [To the value of $3,000.]

Cost: $30 (or $15 single day), new players free

ADC Dinner: Saturday 23rd, 7:30pm

george
10-06-2009, 07:47 PM
hi Thorin,

January next year its either go to aus Junior in Hobart do coaching and stay with brothers in-law or go to Sydney and play Dip. Quite honestly I would rather play dip. I will try to source cheap return airfare etc or I can make it a week thing and drive!

Any tips on safe convenient accomodation??

My wife will be in France for January/February so no issues.

ThorinMunro
12-06-2009, 06:57 PM
G'day George,

Right! Sounds like you have got a taste for Diplomacy :)

Where are you driving from? Melbourne? There's usually a number of people driving up if you wanted to share.

In the past Bill Brown, a regular from Melbourne has recommended Westside Motor Inn. http://www.ashfieldmotorinn.com.au/ (Frankly all the motels around Ashfield are basic). But the Motor Inn is just a 5 minute walk to the Summer Hill community centre.

Did you have any luck getting onto the dpjudge?

And did you know about the Diplomacy Tournament being held at the Melbourne Chess Club next weekend?

Cheers,

Thorin.

george
12-06-2009, 09:31 PM
HI Thorin,
I'm in Adelaide mate take me 2 days to get to Sydney or one if I take plenty of No-Doze. Seriously closer to the time I will workout the most cost effective way for me to travel - time/money etc.

Thx for tip on accomodation.

I am continuing with playdiplomacy.com I'm getting used to the delays etc.

I hope to get at least 50 or so games under my belt this year before i let you guys skin me - do you guys have a wild party afterwards or on saturday evening or are you totally serious gamers?!

ThorinMunro
12-06-2009, 09:51 PM
George,

From the Aust Champs commentray... 'Quote of the day (by Lachlan Scarf, about 20yo at the pub after the day's play) "You guys are just like my uni mates, only older!" ....

The hobby is a small and very sociable mob. After each days play of the last Aust Champs about a dozen gathered at the local pub - the Summer Hill Hotel, and played a bunch of other board games and consumed plenty of ales.

Most of the players are from late 20's through to early 50's. I'm right in the middle. It seems Gen Y have skipped FTF gaming, instead living and playing online. So there's a dearth of youngsters coming through right now.

A few still have the energy for late night clubbing in the city if you have the energy and style!

Good idea to get the hang of the game online. Does give you a good feel for the way it plays and you'll get to try all the countries. FTF Diplomacy vs online is probably very similar to online vs ftf poker. A huge increase in tension, 15 min deadlines, real people to influence, thinking on your feet, handling your emotional ups and downs, making friends, telling the odd strategic fib, and getting back on the horse after the inevitable fall.

Cheers,

Thorin.

george
13-06-2009, 08:59 PM
Hi Thorin,

Just won a game on my own!

Now i'm hooked line and sinker but a lot more lessons and misery to come i'm sure. But being a real estate agent I'm use to telling the odd lets call it "sales talk".

cheers

ThorinMunro
19-06-2009, 11:32 AM
Hi Thorin,

Just won a game on my own!

Now i'm hooked line and sinker but a lot more lessons and misery to come i'm sure. But being a real estate agent I'm use to telling the odd lets call it "sales talk".

cheers

Congrats!! Is there a game link? I'd enjoy taking a look.

Real Estate Agent ... right, you've got the makings of a Diplomacy shark ;)

I've got my own consulting practice in organisational culture. So the psychological and relationship aspects of the game appeal to me.

george
23-06-2009, 10:57 PM
Hi Thorin,

I would prefer to be an unkown player of dubious/unknown ability at the Dip Nationals. This might be good or bad tactic who knows.
I would rather make a fool of myself in private.
I'm not being precious about it just dont want pro Dip players seeing my current mistakes.

I do understand about the pressure of writing orders correctly - that will probably be fairly difficult for me to adapt to but never mind. When playing live games before most of the players are tired and emotional by spring 1905 so errors in writing are strictly enforced and not uncommon.

Im sure that at the Nationals everyone will be seriously sober during the games so hopefully errors will be at a minimum.
Regards!!

ThorinMunro
25-06-2009, 10:35 AM
No worries George.

george
27-06-2009, 05:07 PM
hi Thorin,

Where is a clean cheap place to stay or can I billet with someone. Once accomodation is sorted out I will book the flights - only $100 return with Tiger.

Regards
George Howard

ThorinMunro
30-06-2009, 04:03 PM
hi Thorin,

Where is a clean cheap place to stay or can I billet with someone. Once accomodation is sorted out I will book the flights - only $100 return with Tiger.

Regards
George Howard

Hi George,

Last Aust Open a player drove from Canberra and planned to sleep in his Kombi Van at worst! He made friends with a Sydney local and was able to billet with him for the duration. There isn't a formal billeting option...

Cheapest accom will be: Marco Polo Motor Inn on Parramatta Rd.
I've been told by players that: Ashfield Motor Inn is better service wise, but also a little more costly.

Cheers,
Thorin

ThorinMunro
30-06-2009, 04:05 PM
Over the weekend of 26-28th June the World Diplomacy Championship was played at Columbus, Ohio, USA.

Australian Champion ANDREW GOFF is the new WORLD DIPLOMACY CHAMPION

SEAN COLMAN finished in 8th place

SYDNEY will host World Dipcon 2011

And you thought the death of Michael Jackson was big news:)

ThorinMunro
30-06-2009, 04:07 PM
By Andrew Goff

Hi All,

Yes, I won. It feels pretty good. There were some celebrations.

Yes, I achieved three solos, but this is not as good as it sounds as the system hugely encouraged brinkmanship from smaller powers and the long games made this easier (there were 7 solos at the tournament). I feel particularly sorry for Dan Lester who also had two solos.

The quality of opposition was "odd". There were many very good players (one of my boards was dubbed "the board of death"), but also a lot of inexperienced or out of practice players. And a few rank newbies too. I would say that this was the same for everyone so the good players tended to fill the top ten places... didn't effect the results just the size of the games.

Compared to Australia? It would have been 1x18, 1x16 and 1x14 centre result.

Game 1: England 2 centres in a loss. (Did not count)
EFG where G stabbed F in 1902. I then stabbed G. We patching things up only to get hit by an IA alliance. Germany then stabbed to get in a three way draw. IA kept rolling until Italy stabbed for an 18.

Game 2: France 20 centres.
E bounces Holland in F1901. EF alliance FTW. E player pissed off everyone else on the board so much that they rolled over to me rather than him and I just kept going. Would have agreed drawn on 16 if not for the system meaning the minor powers wanting to be "in the draw".

Game 3: Germany 21 centres. "The Board Of Death"
Good players everywhere. Ally with F and we take down talented E slowly. I stab R (also talented) and FG roll the board back. R tries slowing down the clock and the game, letting F into Italy instead of me in the north. F Gets very very pissed off at R trying to stop us playing the next round as he had also been in a 12 hour game the night before. Some anger involved. I grab for everything I can and he essentially says "take it and screw them". An 18 of the lowest possible quality on a board of the highest quality. Maybe worth 14 in Aus. Irregularities in a draw vote also a sour moment :(

Game 4: Austria 18 centres.
Tired after 3 long games, dehydrating from talking, and at times fighting a blood nose.. in distant 2nd place; one American described it as the "9th inning Grand Slam from three runs down". G is insane, EF try to kill him so AIR ally and take out T (Laurent Joly) and "save" Germany. F only has two fleets so we slowly push back and then crack the line. I get as far as Bur, Hol, and Gas then stab everyone and go from 11 to 18 in one year. An 18 anywhere in the world.

Then Sean presented a very good bid which was unanimously accepted and there was an award ceremony and I went back to the hotel room nursing the World Champion of all hangovers.

Sean used my new title to get me into the first class lounge at LAX. That's hot.

Happy to answer any questions on or off the list... trying to keep my ego somewhat in check, though must admit a certain Queen song is on repeat in my head just at the moment.

-Goffy

george
30-06-2009, 04:39 PM
Hi Andrew,

Wow , great result is hardly the word. Looking forward to maybe playing against you in Aus Dip Championships in January - if you are playing.

Well done - WORLD CHAMPION!!:clap:

george
06-09-2009, 10:37 PM
hi Thorin,
Still on course to play in nationals. Played another 15 games of Dip since I last posted and have shared a win on two of those and won 1 outright.

I am constantly learning about geography , and timing is everything in double cross. I have crossed well and been belted around the ears - I have found it important to keep your homeland secure , not to be too passive but examine the situation ALL the time and always remember you can ONLY build more troops on your home supply centres so there importance is paramount.

On closer examination of one of the shared wins i realised I had a single-handed win but quite frankly was finding the month long game rather tedious and wanted it finished. still , no excuse for not fighting out the lone win.

Anyway regards,
George

ThorinMunro
09-09-2009, 04:33 PM
hi Thorin,
Still on course to play in nationals. Played another 15 games of Dip since I last posted and have shared a win on two of those and won 1 outright.

I am constantly learning about geography , and timing is everything in double cross. I have crossed well and been belted around the ears - I have found it important to keep your homeland secure , not to be too passive but examine the situation ALL the time and always remember you can ONLY build more troops on your home supply centres so there importance is paramount.

On closer examination of one of the shared wins i realised I had a single-handed win but quite frankly was finding the month long game rather tedious and wanted it finished. still , no excuse for not fighting out the lone win.

Anyway regards,
George

GO GEORGE!! Big Diplomacy Sponsorship announcement to follow....

ThorinMunro
09-09-2009, 04:34 PM
Sponsorship Announcement by DAANZ President

"Dear all, I am very pleased to announce a generous expansion of support to Australian and New Zealand Diplomacy by Seropeco Australia Pty Ltd.

To build momentum for the 2011 World Diplomacy Championship in Sydney, Seropeco will sponsor five (5) players to attend the 2010 WDC event in The Hague, Netherlands. These five trips (flights and accommodation) will be offered as first prize in the next five DAANZ affiliated Diplomacy Tournaments:

* Sydney Diplomacy Challenge, Oct 3rd-4th 2009

* The DON Challenge (Melbourne), Dec 5-6th 2009

* The Australian Diplomacy Championship (Sydney), Jan 23-25th 2010

* The New Zealand Diplomacy Championship (Auckland), Feb 2010

* The Queensland Diplomacy Championship (Brisbane), TBC in March [Alternative - Victorian Diplomacy Championship in March]

The prizes are open to all players who are or become DAANZ members by the start of the event(*).

This is a great opportunity for the ANZ hobby to send a strong contingent of players to a world-class Diplomacy event. By supporting WDC 2010, we're sure to attract more international visitors Down Under in 2011.

Looking forward to seeing you at a future Diplomacy Tournament.

Cheers,

Grant Steel

DAANZ President

(*) Conditions

1. All players must be or become DAANZ members by the start of an event to be eligible for the prize of a trip to WDC 2010 Scheduled for August 2010.

2. There is a limit of one prize per person, who by accepting the prize, agrees to play WDC 2010 in The Hague, Netherlands.

3. If the winner of an eligible event has already won a prize at one of the previous events, then the prize goes to the second place getter, and so on.

4. If the winner of an eligible event declines the prize, then the prize goes to the second place getter, and so on.

5. The Tournament Director of an event is ineligible for the prize – DAANZ Executives are eligible to win (if not a TD of the tournament); family members associated with Seropeco are eligible to win

6. All prizes and travel arrangements are a private matter between Seropeco Australia Pty Ltd ABN 46 107 419 358 and the player, to a maximum of A$3500.00 per Prize. The promoters are Seropeco Australia Pty Ltd and the Organiser of the individual tournaments as indicated. The DAANZ Inc is not a party to this promotion.

7. Participants are advised of the need to have Travel Insurance (at your own expense) if you win a prize as Travel Insurance is not covered in the Prize as it will vary according to your particular circumstance.

8. Subject to these conditions, the decision of the promoter (Seropeco Australia Pty Ltd) as to the recipient of the prizes shall be final.

Full Terms and Conditions shall be available prior to the first" scheduled tournament

george
24-09-2009, 02:03 PM
hi Thorin,
Won 1 more on my own and probably another outright victory in the next two weeks but may be forced to share a third - so getting better and better.

I have found at times at 15 - 16 centres I have gone astray in not having the right sort of pieces in squares and had to rearrange sometimes costing a centre but essential to rearrange to a better formation. Sometimes its hard to think three years ahead despite being a chess player as you may well have 3 or four opponents all after you and its not always possible to cover all bases so sometimes as a noted communist once said "two steps forward one step back" - I think that quote is correct.

I will be finishing up all my games in the next two weeks then starting some new ones in early november to keep my hand in for Sydney.

george
02-10-2009, 11:28 PM
Hi Thorin,
I won another game on my own but should have won another single and shared in another win but seem to go astray in those two games at about 13 - 14 centres. I am going to have to account more for future years when I get to about 10 centres in a reasonable position. I must remember to position my pieces well when getting to a sizable force , even if it means not growing so quickly. I got to 13 pieces in one game but didnt pay sufficient attention even to 12 + 2 combining which was enough to marginally weaken then in next two years fatally a flaw is exposed and the house of cards falls over.

The more I play the more I appreciate the subtleties of this situation - Im actually now not looking forward to playing Sydney as the amount of time given to diplomacy and writing orders at this stage could make the game orders written by me a disaster.

I think the experience I need to write or at least not miswrite the orders are lacking on my part. anyway Thorin I am at this stage looking forward to playing but just getting a touch neurotic.

ThorinMunro
05-10-2009, 07:34 PM
Congratulations to WILL BLACK the new Diplomacy Champion of Sydney.

Will scored a sweeping solo victory with Germany in his 3rd game to clinch the title. He becomes the first member of 'Team ANZ', winning sponsored travel to the 2010 World Championship in The Hague.

A strong performance from second placed Leena Hu, in just her second tournament after winning best novice award at the 2009 Australian Championships. Third place won by Liam Cosgrave, collecting two Best Country awards along the way with Italy and France.

From a Tournament Directors view point, this event was a great success. There were 23 players over the two days, 7 high quality games, keen newcomers like Matthew Woodburn, Jason Collins, Tom Tian, Wade Steel, Riccardo Ingles and Matt Cobb-Clark, and a sociable and sporting atmosphere.

Special mention to youngster Charlie Akdeniz who pulled off the stab of the tournament, carrying off the box of prizes before the presentation! And I want to acknowledge his perseverence in some very tough positions. Stick at it Charlie, you've got potential.

Next stop - The DON Challenge in Melbourne, Dec 5-6th; Then onto the 2010 Australian Championship, January 23rd-25th

Summary of results:

First Place: Will Black

Second Place: Leena Hu

Third Place: Liam Cosgrave

Best Austria Sean Colman 12sc
Best England Leena Hu 14sc
Best France Liam Cosgrave 14sc
Best Germany Will Black 20sc
Best Italy Liam Cosgrave 10sc
Best Russia Chris Goff 13sc
Best Turkey Andrew Goff 15sc

Sydney Diplomacy Championship 2009

1 Will Black 49.00
2 Leena Hu 39.00
3 Liam Cosgrave 32.50
4 Andrew Goff 31.50
5 Matthew Woodburn 27.00
6 Thorin Munro 27.00
7 Chris Goff 24.00
8 Shane Cubis 22.00
9 Jason Collins 19.75
10 Bill Brown 19.50
11 Grant Steel 18.00
12 Geoff Kerr 17.00
13 Sean Colman 16.00
14 Wade Steel 14.00
15 Kim Colman 12.00
16 Tristan Lee 10.00
17 Matt Cobb-Clark 9.50
18 Rob Schone 9.00
19 Charlie Akdeniz 8.25
20 Tom Tian 8.00
21 Riccardo Ingles 5.25
22 Garth Harkins 1.50
23 Mark MacKenzie 1.25

ThorinMunro
05-10-2009, 07:47 PM
Hi Thorin,
The more I play the more I appreciate the subtleties of this situation - Im actually now not looking forward to playing Sydney as the amount of time given to diplomacy and writing orders at this stage could make the game orders written by me a disaster.

I think the experience I need to write or at least not miswrite the orders are lacking on my part. anyway Thorin I am at this stage looking forward to playing but just getting a touch neurotic.

Hi George,

Time management is a valid concern and certainly less experienced players find managing large numbers of units a big challenge initially. Maybe a saving grace is that to get those large forces actually requires plenty of skill and experience, so maybe there's a correlation that helps newbies!

In any event, my counsel to new FTF players is:
* every turn, record all your units in your order book PRIOR to leaving the board for negotiations.
* write down the obvious / necessary moves immediately
* "chunk it down" - there are usually natural clumps of units working together, write those at the same time (to ensure you get them all correct)
* keep your eye on the clock. With 2 minutes left on the timer, you need to pretty much have all your orders written down if you are still negotiating OR stop negotiating, make the best decisions you can and get your orders written!

Without raining on your parade :) keep your expectations of performance realistic. At the recent Sydney Challenge, Jason Collins played his first FTF event after about a years online experience where he had won some 7-8 games, drawn about a dozen and been eliminated once. He finished a creditable 9th with two good results (8sc and 5sc and two eliminations) and was Best Novice. He learned a lot and will be much stronger next event. Similarly Leena Hu scored Best Novice at the last Australian Championship and made an outstanding second place in just her second (very strong) Sydney tournament ... she really applied the lessons from her first tourney.

Look forward to meeting you in Sydney!!

Cheers,
Thorin

george
06-10-2009, 11:34 AM
hi Thorin,

Thx for advice and yes i hope to have a good time - learn heaps and enjoy myself.

The advice of write down all the pieces and the obvious moves makes sense!!

Regards

ThorinMunro
18-10-2009, 08:04 PM
Don Challenge Cup 2009

December 5th & 6th

FREE: ENTRY / CAFE LUNCH / BEVERAGES

Location: Cocoa Bean , Corner of Bourke St. & William St., Melbourne
Format: Continuous, 10 am start
Scoring System: Cricket
Tournament Director: Andrew Goff

1st Prize: Return Airfares & Accommodation to the Value of A$3000.00 to attend the 2010 World Diplomacy Championship in The Hague, Netherlands.

2nd Prize: Return Airfares to the 2010 New Zealand Diplomacy Championships
3rd Prize: Return Airfares to the 2010 Australian Diplomacy Championships

BERTIE TAKES CHARGE! Plus presentation of "Berties" to previous winners!!!

http://www.daanz.org.au/dip-tournaments.htm#don2009

george
03-12-2009, 11:02 PM
Hi Thorin,

The last week or so I have got bored with Dip or suffering from burnout and have found myself ceasing to give orders despite being the dominant country early with 9 - 10 centres. Is this common or is it that I have a life and am very busy (Im not trying to infer anything about Dip players)- somehow Dip doesnt seem important at the moment - talking less to other players and got to the point of dont care.

I will leave Dip alone now till early January do some book work on strategies then make a decision in mid January on whether to come to Sydney - does that seem a reasonable strategy?

George

ThorinMunro
20-12-2009, 11:03 AM
Australian Diplomacy Championship

Sat 23rd - Mon 25th January, 2010

NOTE: Mon 25th is NOT a Public Holiday. The Australia Day P/H is Tuesday 26th.

Location: Summer Hill Community Centre, 131 Smith Street, Summer Hill, Sydney, NSW 2130

Continuous Format: Play up to 5 games over 3 Days. Best 4 results counted.
Playing Times: Sat 10am - 7pm; Sun 10am - 7pm; Mon 10am - 5pm.
Scoring System: Owls System

Prizes: By Seropeco www.seropeco.com.au. Check out the Christmas specials.

1st Prize: Return Airfares & Accommodation to the Value of A$3000.00 to attend 2010 World DipCon Championship in The Hague, Netherlands... Join Will Black & Shane Cubis on this European Diplomacy adventure.

Other Prizes: Champions shield / 2nd / 3rd, Best Countries, Best Novice

Entry: $30 for the 3 days or $15 per day, new players free

ADC Dinner: Saturday 23th January, 7:30 PM @ Summer Hill Hotel.
For more information contact Thorin Munro: thorinmunro@...

DAANZ website link for the championship: http://www.daanz.org.au/index.php

BoardGamesGeek link for the 2009 Championship including full reconstruction of the three days play...
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/349474/australian-diplomacy-championships-january-2009

Players already confirmed.
Andrew Goff (current Diplomacy World Champion)
Tristan Lee
Steve Lytton
Shane Cubis
Thorin Munro
Geoff Kerr
Jason Collins
Sean Colman
Gabriel Singer
Matt Cobb-Clark
Peter McNamara

Please let me know if you will be playing...

Regards,
Thorin

ThorinMunro
20-12-2009, 11:04 AM
The Don turned out to be an excellent tournament, rounding out a very full 2009 DAANZ Diplomacy calendar.

Goffy booked a venue at the base of a central Melbourne office tower exclusive for our use. The Cocoa Bean cafe was entirely glass walled and so we were playing in a fish bowl. Not sure if we ever had spectators peering in, I was in far to much trouble through all my games to look up. The cafe owner and his attractive blonde assistant kept up with our coffee and beverage needs very well.

The CBD location gave me the opportunity to wander around the city on Sunday. Even popped into the cathedral opposite Flinders St Station. Thought it might help for a change of luck in my last game, and ended up getting blitzed by a solo! But I'm getting ahead of myself...

There were six games played and I didn't pay a lot of attention to those I wasn't playing (but I have the full results and will give a summary). Goffy made a couple of rule innovations, tweaking the Cricket scoring system and introducing a new method for deciding draws. For a draw to be agreed, all players would have to have "Draw = YES" on their orders, when read after the deadline. This meant there was no time wasted on draw votes through the turn, nor the usual peer pressure from an open air vote. And it created an extra negotiation point through a turn. I have a feeling it made settling a draw a little harder to do, keeping games going longer, which I think is a good thing. Worth more trials in tournament play.

Game 1.
For the 4th time this year I drew Austria in my first game. I quite like this start, or maybe I'm just getting used to it. In the first game, I notice most players are looking for a solid start to the tournament and so as Austria there's the chance to grab a bunch of dots and sue for peace (before the grind starts and shrinkage sets in). The full board was A = TM; E = Chris Goff; F = Geoff Kerr; G = Steve Lytton; I = Gabriel Singer; R = Matt Cobb-Clark; T = Mel Call.

The short story is that Steve (16) and Geoff (14) took out Chris very quickly and then turned against the fractious and uncoordinated East and busted us all, except for Melissa (3) holed up in Turkey and Matt (1) somehow hanging on after 1912. I could go on with a tale of missed opportunities, particularly an alliance with Mel, who I enjoyed meeting and playing with for the first time. She is very experienced and pragmatic. Sounds like Mel and her husband will be moving to Melbourne later next year to manage a laboratory. Look forward to having her back in the local hobby.

Game 2.
Three way draw after 1911. Shane (A/12); Greg Evans (I/12); Frank (F/10). These three were at it again in the final game... more later! The casualties were David Blom (E), Tristan (G), Guy (R) and Rob S (T).

Game 3.
Relatively quick 6-way draw in 1907, called at the end of Saturday's play, partly because Mel couldn't continue on Sunday. Sean (A/0), Guy (E/3), Goffy (F/3), Chris (G/5), Rob (I/10), Mel (R/11), Gabriel (T/2).

Game 4.
An even quicker 5-way draw, played over Sat and Sun, to 1906 (seemed a lot longer). Here I drew England (1sc) with Steve as France (9) and Shane in Germany (7). Sean (Russia/0), Greg (Austria/8), Frank (Turkey/9) and Matt Cobb-Clark (Italy/0). In the West, I became impatient with Shane's neutrality and Steve's foxing, and dived into Germany. Hoping to draw Steve into alliance with that commitment. Instead, Steve backdoored me into Liverpool and Shane and Steve whittled my position down slowly. Sean's Russia also went after Germany early, but Frank and Greg were allied firmly (on reflection, I'm beginning to notice some alliance patterns and I wasn't in any of them. Must have been my crap diploming!) and routed him and Matt's trusting Italy. Anyway, I defended actively and earned an honorable survival as a result. Was happy to get out alive ... and took myself off for that hike around the city, looking for salvation!

Game 5.
Rob Hadley came along for a game on Sunday and his devil may care approach, made for what sounded like a dynamic, fun and chaotic game. 5-way draw called after 1906. Geoff (A/0), Goffy (E/0), Sean (F9), Matt (G/2), Rob Hadley (I/9), Gabriel (R/6), Chris (T/8).

Game 6.
The three tournament leaders were all in this crucial game - Steve, Greg and Shane, probably with current scores in that order. What a ripping game it turned out to be. Goffy (A/0) eliminated in 1902; Steve (E/0) eliminated in 1905; Thorin (F/5); Geoff (G/0) eliminated in 1907; Frank (I/4); Shane (R/18) soloing after 1909; Greg (T/7).

Tired of trying to ally with, but getting busted in my two previous games by Steve, I open FBRE-ENC for the first time in my life. Good old Geoff is always up for a Sea-Lion. When you hear those musical words 'yeah, lets gun him', you know Geoff's onboard! I missed the troika from game 2, settled neatly in the East arrayed around Goffy's Austria. I doubt he knew what hit him, but at least the suffering was very short lived. Shane kept pumping fleets out of STP and was quite vulnerable to Greg's Turks, but Greg played nice and pushed Frank hard at me in the Med. Geoff and I weren't really quick enough in taking out England and by 1905 the IRT triple had us beat.

At this stage Greg and Shane offered me a three way (we were all at 9sc) , them on 12 each and me at 10. Greg was counting dots and with Steve's elimination, he calculated he needed that many to win the tournament and the trip to WDC 2010. Of course I agreed. And they of course stabbed the be-jesus out of me in 1906, though Shane (with 13) got much more than Greg (11). Shane built FOUR armies immediately. Lacking any Russia armies in the box, he place 4 big white pawns from Franks chess set. Talk about dominating the map!

Greg and Shane invite me back to the 'draw huddle'. Greg is telling Shane he needs to collect more centres to equal Shane's score and win the trip... I can't help laughing at Greg. "Mate, you're not in control of this game any more. Shane's got solo chances if he wants, and he can take the centres and win the tournament / trip himself. Why would he hand it over to you?" Greg slowly started to realise the new power dynamics ... Shane's da boss ... but never-the-less kept trying to talk Shane into giving him the tournament... I walked away and started working with Geoff and Frank, hoping for Greg to join us in a stop the solo alliance. Note to self, have Geoff on your side if you are ever trying to figure out how to stop a solo. He's a great strategic and tactical thinker.

Shane of course pushed on, good for you mate! Picking up another four dots and reaching 17sc after 1907. Frank and Geoff and I start writing collective orders, Greg has largely checked out. We manage to make Shane work for his solo, holding him at 17 again in 1908. There were slim chances for holding out another year, but Shane played very well for position in Spring 1909 and we can't stop him in Fall. After the game, Goffy tells us that with 6pm approaching, if we'd held on then he would have been forced to call a time draw. Huge congratulations to Shane for scoring his first ever solo, under a huge amount of pressure and earning it by outplaying the rest of us.

Finale ...
I found this to be a very tough tournament. Many strong players, fighting for a significant prize. Despite losing that final game, flying out of Melbourne I felt I'd really enjoyed the quality of play and the friends I'd spent two days with. That's what it's all about, isn't it!

Hope to enjoy the Australian Championship as much in January, see you there.

Don Results.

1 Shane Cubis 66.57
2 Steve Lytton 35.82
3 Greg Evans 32.90
4 Frank Meerbach 30.90
5 Melissa Call 21.58
6 Geoff Kerr 21.25
7 Chris Goff 21.07
8 Gabriel Singer 16.73
9 Sean Colman 15.23
10 Rob Stephenson 15.00
11 Rob Hadley 12.90
12 Thorin Munro 12.07
13 Matt Cobb-Clark 10.65
14 Andrew Goff 8.67
15 Guy Mischlewski 8.33
16 David Blom 3.00
17 Tristan Lee 1.33

Cheers,
Thorin (A/0, E/1, F/5)

ThorinMunro
20-12-2009, 11:05 AM
Hi Thorin,

The last week or so I have got bored with Dip or suffering from burnout and have found myself ceasing to give orders despite being the dominant country early with 9 - 10 centres. Is this common or is it that I have a life and am very busy (Im not trying to infer anything about Dip players)- somehow Dip doesnt seem important at the moment - talking less to other players and got to the point of dont care.

I will leave Dip alone now till early January do some book work on strategies then make a decision in mid January on whether to come to Sydney - does that seem a reasonable strategy?

George

Hi George,

Pace yourself!

All good things in moderation... look forward to meeting you in January.

Cheers,
Thorin

ThorinMunro
24-01-2010, 06:47 AM
Australian Championship - Day 1 Saturday

As promised, Sydney showcased a very hot and humid Saturday.

And as also promised Sean supplied two mini-dalek aircon units which sat in the corner of our playing room and pumped out coolness. Late in the afternoon the wind blew in and squalling showers. By that time 13 of us were settled in at the Summer Hill hotel with Citadels, Galactica and other games, drinks and dinner.

But back to the Tournament!

I'd had an feeling we'd have lower numbers than last years boom, with a number of stalwarts taking a break. As everyone began to assemble we quickly formed two boards, with initially one extra (me) which built to four over the course of the morning. So using the continuous format, we started the first Diplomacy games, with the excess playing Iceflow, a new game from Sean's stock...

While the games were in progress, I met David Keck, a Sydney local with a long time Diplomacy gaming group (like more than 20 years) who had never encountered the DAANZ or the online hobby. David chose to observe how we ran the tournament and the play, and I'm very hopeful of a good boost to our ranks from his group. Talking about new players, Jonathan Powles travelled from Canberra, an experienced online player making his first foray into FTF. Similar story for Jeff Shafer, an American long-time resident of Sydney, trying FTF after much online play. David Kenny, another American taking some time-out for world travel after 25 years with Glaxo, arrived a little later, caught out by the trains not running and having to figure out the replacement bus service. David is an experienced strategy gamer, but new to Diplomacy and he picked the game up very quickly. Welcome all.

Game 1: Antechinus
Chris Goff ripped ahead with Russia, before being forced to draw by Steve, Charlie and Andrew.

Power Player 1901 1902 1903 1904 1905 1906
A Peter McNamara 5 5 4 3 1 0
E Steve Lytton 5 5 4 5 7 9
F Andrew Goff 5 5 5 6 7 8
G Tristan Lee 5 5 7 5 2 0
I Charlie Akdeniz 4 4 5 5 5 7
R Chris Goff 6 7 7 9 11 10
T Geoff Kerr 4 3 2 1 1 0

Game 2: Bandicoot
The welcome return of Brett Chatterton, newcomers Jeff and Jonathan 'blooded' and Shane 'Mr Smooth' Cubis topping the board!

A Brett Chatterton 5 4 3 3 3 4
E Jonathan Powles 4 4 5 5 4 4
F Rob Schone 5 5 5 5 6 5
G Shane Cubis 5 6 6 7 7 9
I Matthew Woodburn 4 5 4 5 5 3
R Jeff Shafer 6 6 6 2 4 2
T Sean Colman 4 4 5 7 7 7

Game 3: Cassowary
Daniel 'Yoda' Pavatich, up from Wollongong and past tournaments, Leena and Thorin managed to produce an effective stalemate to stop the surging Peter (G) and Geoff (F). David worked very closely with Leena until those centres became just too tempting for her :)

A Thorin Munro 5 5 5 6 5 5
E Tristan Lee 5 4 2 0 0 0
F Geoff Kerr 5 5 7 7 8 8
G Peter McNamara 5 6 6 8 9 10
I Daniel Pavatich 4 4 5 6 6 6
R Leena Hu 6 6 7 6 6 5
T David Kenny 4 4 2 1 0 0

Game 4: Dingo
I overheard World Champ Goffy at game end ask Shane, "How did you get so good?" And then answer the question himself "Did you just decide to?". This after Shane's Austria stabbed Goffy for 4 centres in the final year. The game called a draw, more with a view to getting to the cooler pub and starting fresh games in the morning. There was a lot more on offer for Shane....

Power Player 1901 1902 1903 1904 1905
A Shane Cubis 5 6 6 8 12
E Jeff Shafer 5 5 6 6 5
F Charlie Akdeniz 5 5 4 4 5
G Jonathan Powles 5 5 6 6 6
I Andrew Goff 4 6 7 7 4
R Matthew Woodburn 6 3 3 2 2
T Rob Schone 4 4 2 1 0

Saturday saw 4 completed games and 18 players in action. When the dust settled there were a number of surprises on the scoretable, not least being the strong showing by 16yo Charlie Akdeniz and newcomer Jonathan Powles.

Australian Diplomacy Championship 2010

Player State Antechinus Bandicoot Cassowary Dingo Total n
1 Shane Cubis NSW 13.00 16.00 29.00
2 Andrew Goff Vic 11.00 7.00 18.00
3 Charlie Akdeniz NSW 10.00 8.00 18.00
4 Jonathan Powles ACT 7.00 9.00 16.00
5 Peter McNamara WA 1.25 14.00 15.25
6 Chris Goff ACT 14.00 14.00
7 Jeff Shafer NSW 5.00 8.00 13.00
8 Geoff Kerr NSW 1.25 11.00 12.25
9 Steve Lytton Vic 12.00 12.00
10 Matthew Woodburn NSW 6.00 5.00 11.00
11 Sean Colman NSW 10.00 10.00
12 Daniel Pavatich NSW 9.00 9.00
13 Rob Schone NZ 8.00 1.00 9.00
14 Leena Hu NSW 8.00 8.00
15 Thorin Munro NSW 8.00 8.00
16 Brett Chatterton NSW 7.00 7.00
17 Tristan Lee Vic 1.25 0.75 2.00
18 David Kenny USA 1.00 1.00

Desmond
26-01-2010, 09:58 AM
How are points allocated for tournament play?

ThorinMunro
26-01-2010, 03:58 PM
How are points allocated for tournament play?

There are a multiplicty of scoring systems around the world. I'm using a relatively simple centre based system called "Owls".

Owls Scoring System (Modified Cricket System)
* 35 points for an 18+ centre VICTORY
* 1/4 point each year of survival in ELIMINATION or LOSS (maximum of 2 points)
* 1/2 point per centre for survivors in a LOSS (Owls variation)
* 1 point per centre in a DRAW
* 3 points for surviving in a DRAW
* 1 point for being the outright leader in a DRAW

ThorinMunro
26-01-2010, 04:00 PM
ADC10 - Sunday (day 2).

Home exhausted after another active day. Three more games completed, bringing the total played now to seven. The 8th game is still in progress at 1907, and will resume at 10am.

Another player joined the tourney, Gabriel Singer, bringing the tally to 19. Also had a visit by Gary Bekker, whose son Josh was planning to play ADC as his first event, until a missed flight (out of China?) scuttled that. Nevertheless, great to see Gary in Sydney and looking forward to Josh at a future tournament ... next generation! Chris Hennessy, who played last year and is now living in Sydney working with Seropeco, called in. Was good man to have him we had a one small replacement position required (Gabriel left early). Thanks.

There is one huge result needing special mention. Tournament debutante Jonathan Powles scored 16c with Russia and was only just stopped from a solo by Goffy (E/13) and Rob Schone (G/5). After the game Goffy commented that he thought most players in the current hobby would not have been able to stop the solo. Be great if you guys would write up an "End of Game" summary for the DAANZ ezine. To the games:

Game 5: Echidna
A Steve Lytton 5 8 8 8 6 7
E Charlie Akdeniz 4 4 2 0 0 0
F Chris Goff 5 5 5 7 7 8
G Thorin Munro 6 6 8 8 10 10
I Leena Hu 4 4 4 3 3 0
R Sean Colman 5 3 2 2 2 2
T Peter McNamara 4 4 5 6 6 7

Game 6: Flying Fox
Power Player 1901 1902 1903 1904 1905 1906 1907 1908 1909 1910 1911
A Matthew Woodburn 5 6 6 3 1 0 0 0 0 0 0
E Andrew Goff 5 5 5 6 8 8 10 11 12 14 13
F Tristan Lee 5 5 4 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
G Rob Schone 5 5 5 6 7 9 10 11 11 6 5
I Geoff Kerr 4 4 5 6 9 8 5 2 0 0 0
R Jonathan Powles 6 6 7 8 8 8 8 9 11 14 16
T Gabriel Singer 4 3 2 2 1 1 1 1 0 0 0

Game 7: Goanna
Power Player 1901 1902 1903 1904 1905 1906 1907
A Daniel Pavatich 4 1 1 1 1 0 0
E Shane Cubis 5 6 6 5 6 6 7
F Leena Hu 5 5 5 7 7 7 7
G Charlie Akdeniz 5 5 6 7 7 7 6
I Gabriel Singer 4 5 4 1 0 0 0
R Brett Chatterton 6 6 6 6 4 3 3
T Tristan Lee 4 6 6 7 9 11 11

Game 8: Huntsman
In progress...

And standings / scores after day 2...

Player State Antechinus Bandicoot Cassowary Dingo Echidna Flying Fox Goanna Total
1 Shane Cubis NSW 13.00 16.00 10.00 39.00
2 Jonathan Powles ACT 7.00 9.00 20.00 36.00
3 Andrew Goff Vic 11.00 7.00 16.00 34.00
4 Charlie Akdeniz NSW 10.00 8.00 0.75 9.00 27.75
5 Peter McNamara WA 1.25 14.00 10.00 25.25
6 Chris Goff ACT 14.00 11.00 25.00
7 Steve Lytton Vic 12.00 10.00 22.00
8 Thorin Munro NSW 8.00 14.00 22.00
9 Leena Hu NSW 8.0 1.25 10.00 19.25
10 Tristan Lee Vic 1.25 0.75 1.00 15.00 18.00
11 Rob Schone NZ 8.00 1.00 8.00 17.00
12 Sean Colman NSW 10.00 5.00 15.00
13 Geoff Kerr NSW 1.25 11.00 2.00 14.25
14 Jeff Shafer NSW 5.00 8.00 13.00
15 Brett Chatterton NSW 7.00 6.00 13.00
16 Matthew Woodburn NSW 6.00 5.00 1.25 12.25
17 Daniel Pavatich NSW 9.00 1.25 10.25
18 Gabriel Singer NSW 2.00 1.00 3.00
19 David Kenny USA 1.00 1.00

ThorinMunro
26-01-2010, 04:02 PM
Australian Diplomacy Championship - Day 3

Well ADC 2010 has been run and won by yours truly!

The game in progress from the Sunday, 'Huntsman' saw my Turkey emerge with a solo victory. So my three games total was good enough to win the championship and I could spend a relaxing Monday afternoon watching the final game...

The talk of the tournament was the performance of Jonathan Powles, who in his first FTF event, the Australian Championship, secured second place AND the prize of a trip to WDC 2010 in The Hague!

This came about due to the ineligibility of the TD for the prize in each of the five tourney series. [A very correct prize condition]. Jonathan also scooped the best Novice award!

Third place went to Peter McNamara who has been an Australian Championship regular, making the stop in Sydney after returning home to Perth (from Boston where he studies Mathematics at MIT) each Christmas. In the final game of the event he formed an EF alliance with Steve Lytton and stabbed first to get to 13sc. With two eliminations and two best country awards (E and G, both on tie breaks) Peter had an up and down tournament, but definitely finished on an up!

Special mention to 16yo Charlie Akdeniz who played five games with just one elimination, finishing in 7th place.

Maverick award went to Geoff Kerr for his Fall 1901 creativity as Austria in Huntsman.

Best countries:
A: Shane Cubis (12)
E: Peter McNamara (13)
F: Geoff Kerr (8)
G: Peter McNamara (10)
I: Jonathan Powles (8)
R: Jonathan Powles (16)
T: Thorin Munro (18)

Game 8: Huntsman
Started with RT solid (FANK-CON, FSEV-RUM) and Austria decided to join the party rather than be ground out. Geoff (A) worked out a very dynamic play. F1901 Turkey allows Italy FION-AEG to succeed and takes BUL & GRE, FAlb-ION and ASER-TRI to bounce the 'agreed' move Italy ATYR-TRI. No builds for Italy, two fleets for Turkey. Away we all rolled. In the West, much mutual distrust and gradual emergence of England as the big boy. Italy falls to AT, Russia has the heat applied up north by England and Germany, France moves into the MED. Austria and Turkey stab Russia. The table begs Turkey to stab Austria and it eventuates. England and France tangle and cannot work out an alliance (yet). Germany drops. Turkey eventually walks behind French lines into MAO passing up MAR/SPA etc to do so. France feels confident the solo is stopped and starts to work with England ... but the FMAO ends up in SPA and an army takes MAR. The 18th centre being WAR. Solo.

Power Player 1901 1902 1903 1904 1905 1906 1907 1908 1909 1910
A Geoff Kerr 4 6 7 9 6 3 3 1 1 1
E Matthew Woodburn 4 5 5 6 7 10 8 8 8 8
F Sean Colman 5 6 6 7 7 8 9 9 8 7
G Daniel Pavatich 5 5 6 2 3 1 1 1 0 0
I Peter McNamara 3 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
R Steve Lytton 5 6 4 2 2 2 1 1 1 0
T Thorin Munro 5 5 6 8 9 10 12 14 16 18

Game 9: Ibis
Game begins just after 10am (well before the preceding solo is decided) and various combinations and possibilities for the players involved to finish very high. And a couple were able to pass Jonathan if the cards fell right. In the end EF allied and squished Goffy's Germany very quickly. Then ground on to 8sc each, before Peter stabbed Steve and held on to the draw. This play allowed Jonathan to grab some loose Austrian dots and finish on 8sc himself. More than enough to secure 2nd place (solo settled by then).

Power Player 1901 1902 1903 1904 1905 1906 1907 1908
A Tristan Lee 5 6 5 4 4 3 4 2
E Peter McNamara 5 5 7 7 7 8 11 13
F Steve Lytton 5 6 7 8 8 8 7 5
G Andrew Goff 4 3 0 0 0 0 0 0
I Jonathan Powles 5 5 6 6 6 6 6 8
R Charlie Akdeniz 6 5 5 5 5 6 3 2
T Leena Hu 4 4 4 4 4 3 3 4

Australian Diplomacy Championship 2010

Player State Total
1 Thorin Munro NSW 57.00
2 Jonathan Powles ACT 47.00
3 Peter McNamara WA 42.25
4 Shane Cubis NSW 39.00
5 Andrew Goff Vic 34.50
=6 Steve Lytton Vic 32.00
=6 Charlie Akdeniz NSW 32.00
8 Leena Hu NSW 26.25
9 Chris Goff ACT 25.00
10 Tristan Lee Vic 22.25
11 Sean Colman NSW 20.50
12 Matthew Woodburn NSW 18.25
13 Rob Schone NZ 17.00
14 Geoff Kerr NSW 16.75
=15 Jeff Shafer NSW 13.00
=15 Brett Chatterton NSW 13.00
17 Daniel Pavatich NSW 12.25
18 Gabriel Singer NSW 3.00
19 David Kenny USA 1.00

ThorinMunro
26-01-2010, 04:13 PM
There are two more upcoming events where 1st prize is a trip to the 2010 World Diplomacy Championship at The Hague, Netherlands.

DAANZ Tournament Calendar: http://www.daanz.org.au/dip-tournaments.htm

20-21 February 2010:New Zealand Diplomacy Championships
Format: 3 Rounds over 2 Days
Scoring System: Detour98f
Tournament Director: Grant Steel
Cost: $30.
Run in conjunction: With BATTLECRY hosted by the AMERICA club.
Prizes: By the Australian Board Gamers League www.abgl.com.au and
Seropeco www.seropeco.com.au
1st Prize: Return Airfares & Accommodation to the Value of A$3000.00 to attend: World DipCon Championship in The Hague, Netherlands.
Registration is now open: http://theamericaclub.net.nz/battlecry2010/rego (In Which tournament you are interested in type "New Zealand Diplomacy Championships 2010")
Grant Steel: moag@ihug.co.nz
Will Black: wjcblack@gmail.com

6-7 March 2010: Victorian Diplomacy Championship

Prizes: By the Australian Board Gamers League www.abgl.com.au and
Seropeco www.seropeco.com.au
1st Prize: Return Airfares & Accommodation to the Value of A$3000.00 to attend: World DipCon Championship in The Hague, Netherlands.

ThorinMunro
03-02-2010, 06:23 PM
Victorian Diplomacy & Boardgames Convention 2010
Venue: The Melbourne Chess Club, 66 Leicester St, Fitzroy.
Dates: 6-8 March, Labour Day Longweekend (in Vic)

For more information, contact Tristan Lee: totalhomicide@gmail.com

comprising:

Victorian DipCon 2010
6-7 March (9:30am – 8pm)
Multiple Rounds of Diplomacy over 2 days

First Prize sponsored by Seropeco http://seropeco.com.au/
Return airfares & accommodation to The Hague, Netherlands, to attend World DipCon in August 2010. (Value A$3000.)
Other Prizes: Best Countries, Best Novice, the Victorian Diplomacy Champion perpetual trophy (since 1990)

Lunch and refreshments included.
Diplomacy dinner on Saturday night to be sociable.

Recommended budget hotel:
Formule 1 Hotel, city, short tramride to venue (budget room for up to 4 ppl)
http://www.formule1.com.au/default.aspx

Cheap backpackers:
Royal Derby Hotel, Fitzroy, near the venue
http://www.royalderbyhotel.com/accom.htm#accom

Further options:
Wotif http://www.wotif.com/

Billets available for interstate visitors – just ask!
For more information, contact Tristan totalhomicide@gmail.com

Victorian Boardgames Championships
7-8 March (10:30am – 8pm)
Play any multiplayer boardgame you like, and as many or little as you like.
Your best results will count towards this event (more details to follow soon).

Prizes: the Victorian Boardgames Champion perpetual trophy (since 2001), gift vouchers, games and more.
Lunch and refreshments included.

Games expected to be included:
Settlers, Powergrid, Diplomacy, Ra, Agricola, Antike, Imperial, Endeavor, Citadels, Acquire, Brittania, Dominion, Puerto Rico, Carcassonne, Game of Thrones, Big City, Battlestar Galactica... plus almost ANYTHING you want to bring along. Please email me games which you would like to add.

[Yes - you may count your best Diplomacy game result towards both event.]

george
10-03-2010, 10:41 PM
hi all,

I played in the Vic Dip Con 2010 held at the MCC. Twice before over the years whilst in melbourne I had gone to MCC only to find it closed.

It was a pleasure to get inside and I caught up with Grant S and we had a chat.

The Dip tourney was not quite what I expected - i am used to Dip over the internet where you have at least 12 hours to make moves,retreats etc. the short deadline of 15 minutes to conduct diplomacy and write your orders is obviously something akin to playing good social chess then finding yourself in an Allegro tourney playing for sheep stations. I found even if I did have the ability and the strategies necessary I wasnt able to think quickly enough - however I dont think I have the quickness of mind or had the over the board experience to do well in a weekend tourney.

All that said I found the Dip folks friendly and the tourney well run despite there being no air conditioning and the atmosphere was akin to a sauna - most dip players are hardy souls I found and simply got on with playing enjoying the alliances and the sweetness of stabs.

I met the World Dip Champion who with his pink (I think it was ) mohawk was hard to miss - he was polite and friendly.

All in all a very interesting weekend spent staying with my sister playing Dip and experiencing the wild weather!

Anyway thanks Thorin for inspiring me to come :) even if it was for a oncer!!!

ThorinMunro
01-04-2010, 07:14 PM
by Tristan Lee / TD

If one looks at the centre-counts of the Top 5, one would appreciate how hotly contested this tournmt has been!

We had 32 players, with a total of 13 games.

Congratulations to Daniel Pavatich for winning the Victorian DipCon 2010 and the First Prize to attend World DipCon 2010 in August.

The tournament was scored under OWLS, so the reference below to centre counts is as a guide only. The ‘Best 3’ games count.

Stars* indicate number of rounds, if not 3.

1st Daniel Pavatich (28c = 10, 11, 7)

2nd Andrew Goff (26c = 0, 10, 6, 10)

3rd Steve Lytton (28c = 10, 8, 9, 9)

4th Shane Cubis (26c = 7, 7, 12)

5th Rohan Flavelle (25c = 10, 8, 7)

6th Grant Steel (22 = 7, 4, 0, 11)

7th Thorin Munro (22c = 8, 0, 14)

8 Geoff Kerr ****

9 Graham Allen ****

10 Darren Koch

11 Marcus Schutenko ****

12 Rob Hadley

13 Jason Whitby **

14 Greg Breese ****

15 Phil Stott

16 Peter Schubert ****

17 Ryan Phelan **

18 Benjy Aarons-Richardson ****

19 James Bounsall **

20 Sean Colman

21 Rob Schone **

22 George Howard ****

23 Chris Core

24 Josh Bekker

25 David Blom *

26 Guy Mischlewski **

27 Joel Fallon **

28 Grant Szuveges *

29 Simon Morawetz **

30 Mike Skolnik *

31 Jeremy Stott

32 Darren Shortt *

Best Austria: Jason Whitby (12c)

Best England: Thorin Munro (14c)

Best France: Rohan Flavelle (10c)

Best Germany: Andrew Goff (10c)

Best Italy: Daniel Pavatich (11c)

Best Russia: Rohan Flavelle (7c)

Best Turkey: Steve Lytton (10c)

Best Novice (Best Newcomer to a DAANZ tournament): Greg Breese

Daniel had 28c with 38pts under 'OWLS', over 3 games.

Daniel is an all round ‘nice bloke’ and his playing style reflects that – a very popular win.

Andrew and Steve each played 4 brilliant games (with the best 3 games counting).

Andrew was very close, at 37pts and only needed 2 more centres in any of his games to beat Daniel. [1 more centre would have led to a tie break, in favour of Daniel.] Steve's position was the same.

Also, the opportunity to get in a 4th game allowed Andrew to improve by 10c, Steve to improve by 1c; and Grant to improve by 11c!!

There were 2 draw mechanisms implemented.

1) ALL games could draw from 1910, based on a dice system. This never happened.

2) The tournament would terminate – at 4:30pm on Sunday – which force all current games to end.

2-day events are tight. Perhaps in future we should run longer days on both days, rather than the usual 1.75days, so everyone can get in 4 full rounds.

Although I didn't play, I had a good time conducting the tournament and watching the goings-on.

Having 10 new players to DAANZ tournaments was very encouraging.

16 of us went to dinner on Brunswick St on Saturday night; afterwards we went to a bar 'Little Creatures' with allegedly the best beers in town. (I had cider!)

A sincere thanks to Sean Colman & Seropeco for sponsoring the First Prize.

The boardgames event was well attended by an additional 40-50 people. And it was a good opportunity for those who want to play boardgames on the side.

But I'm sorry about the heat in that room ... It was bad!

I have now scanned the centre charts Will Black for him to double-check and do updates. If he finds errors, I will assassinate him.

I am also happy to send the charts to any player who request them on today or Wed. (Before I go overseas on holiday.)

Thank you all for coming. I hope you had a great time as I did.

Cheers,

Tristan.

ThorinMunro
05-05-2010, 08:22 PM
Seropeco Australia Board Game Specialists 25% to 45% off RRP Sale

Sean from Seropeco Australia, who has been a very strong supporter of Sydney boardgaming and particularly Diplomacy events, has indicated that they now have a new Discounted / Clearance Games section, which is 35% - 45% off RRP.

All their other games are 25-30% off RRP as usual.
See http://www.seropeco.com.au/category40_1.htm

Take a look; perhaps you'll find something you want.

Cheers,
Thorin

ThorinMunro
12-05-2010, 06:12 PM
[Posted on behalf of Daniel Pavatich / Tournament Director]

Hi all,

Well it's that time again for the NSW Diplomacy Championships. We already have a number of interstate players planning to attend (although, I'd love to see more), along with the usual faces and some new players as well. I encourage all you New South Welshman to attend, and show those lesser states* how we diplome!

* State ranking based on gambling revenue.

I really want to highlight the fact that new players (who join DAANZ, for the paltry sum of $5) will get in for free. Get there!

NSW Diplomacy Championship
Sat 19th - Sun 20th June 2010

Format: To be determined, best 3 counted.
Scoring System: Owls System (Modified Cricket)

Tournament Director(s): Daniel Pavatich / Shane Cubis
Register: >From 10 am each day.
Playing Times: Sat 10:30 am - 10:00 pm, Sun 10:30 am - 6:00 pm

Cost: $25 for the 2 days or $15 per day, new players free

Prizes: 1st/2nd/3rd, Best Countries, Best Novice

Daniel Pavatich: daniel.pavatich@gmail.com

May the rabble rousing commence! Look forward to looking at you all from the corner of the room where I'll be talking to Germany about the genius of moving to Tyrolia in S'01.

ThorinMunro
12-08-2010, 08:01 PM
You know you want to ... :)

Yes, starting out as a newbie Diplomacy player can be a daunting exercise. You have heard all the difficulties ... needing to find seven players, that it takes a long time to play, that people tell lies and are eliminated and that all Diplomacy players are hyper-competitive.

Well, while that can all be true, Diplomacy is actually much, much more than just a nasty game where people tell lies to each other!

Diplomacy when played at its best is a vehicle for learning about human nature, about yourself, your capacity for resilience and recovery, about strategic and tactical thinking, about handling pressure and thinking on your feet, about creative negotiation and mutual gain, about trust and balance and power dynamics and yes disappointment. These aspects make it more than just a game.

Diplomacy as a phenomenon has withstood the test of time. Created in 1954, Diplomacy is played by seven players, each controlling a major WW1 European Power. Through skilful negotiation and superior strategy each aims to dominate Europe. Ultimately it is you, as a person, who determines your results. No dice, no card decks, no random events.

So, if you are at all curious about Diplomacy, why not come along to the next Diplomacy event in Sydney. New players are welcomed, can be buddied up with experienced players to learn the ropes and join 'beginners boards' for a gentler introduction.

16-17th October 2010
Summer Hill Community Centre
http://www.daanz.org/dip-tournaments.htm#syd2010

Diplomacy Down Under has been organised as a hobby association for nearly 25 years.
Visit the DAANZ website: http://www.daanz.org/index.php
The World Diplomacy Championship will be held at Coogee Beach, October 2011.

ThorinMunro
28-03-2011, 01:41 PM
Topline update of preparations for WDC (1-3 October 2011).

Format / Rounds.
There are 5 rounds. All players will take a bye during one of the first 4 rounds.

* Fri 30th Sept: Pre-Tournament gathering at the Coogee Bay Hotel (drinks /dinner etc)
* Registration from 9am Sat 1st (if not preregistered - we'll set up an online facility)
* R1: Sat 1st Oct, 10am
* R2: Sat 1st, ~5pm
* R3: Sun 2nd, 10am (team round)
* R4: Sun 2nd, ~5pm
* R5: Mon 3rd, 10am
* Presentation: Mon 3rd, ~6pm

Accommodation
The venue did not want to do a package deal (popular long weekend). Best to book your accommodation early as it is a busy holiday long-weekend in Sydney.
Options within short walk to venue include.

* Coogee Bay Hotel (3 star, right at the venue. Might be abit noisy for some, overlooking the beer garden...)
* Coogee Bay Boutique hotel (ditto, right behind the venue)
* Crown Plaza (4 star, 100m up the hill. Proper international accom)
* Medina Executive (4 star, easy 3min walk)

For the budget conscious....

* Surfside Bacpackers (2 min walk)
* Wizards of Oz Backpackers (opposite Medina)

Try www.wotif.com for deals. Also check neighbouring suburbs like Randwick. Even CBD accommodation would be fine if you are comfortable catching buses. (Dan Burgess of Chicago Windy City Weasels wrote (11th March): "I am going to redeem points to stay at the Crowne Plaza next door for A$60 plus 15,000 points per night. Which will make it affordable for me. I've actually been there, I hiked from Bondi to Coogee on a sunny and cool August morning in 2008 and it was a real delight.")

Registration & Merchandising
Will Black is creating an online registration page. Details to come.
WDC Sydney 2011 branded polo shirts and caps have been sourced. Bundle deals will be available on registration. Anyone wanting the goodies at WDC will need to register & order & pay at least 2 weeks before the event to ensure I can get them made. Expect to see me modelling the shirts at VDC :)
Discussion group: Suggesting all registered players join the DAANZ discussion group to stay in touch: http://daanz.org.au/email_zines.htm#daanz-dip

Tournament Director
Very pleased to advise Rob Schone will use his diplomatic skills and international playing experience to guide the tournament!

Promoting the Tournament
There is a good quality flyer available for distribution: http://daanz.org.au/wdc2011/WORLD%20DIPCON%20XXI%20FLYER.pdf
The upcoming edition of DiplomacyWorld will have a number of Australian / WDC slanted articles including one by Larry Peery from the USA who played in WDC Canberra 2002. He sailed on the QE2 and spent 8 weeks exploring Australia!
Players: we have 37 confirmed and 36 maybe's. Good mix of local and international players. http://daanz.org.au/wdc2011/index.php

You can help by spreading the word. Please forward this update to anyone who may be interested.

Regards,
Thorin