PDA

View Full Version : Chess openings database

SLWK
05-05-2007, 01:51 PM
Anybody using http://www.chessopeningsdatabase.net ?

It is similar to wikipedia in concept. It allows you to suggest moves, research lines, and analyse positions.

Rincewind
05-05-2007, 02:37 PM
It does seem to be similar to Wikipedia in concept except of course with Wikipedia you don't have to register to access the information and it is not under control of a commercial enterprise.

Who is Active Data Pty Ltd and what is their business model for investing in this website? Would seem they are hopnig to engender some kind of community input but remain the owners of the output of that community.

Kevin Bonham
05-05-2007, 04:28 PM
I'm not that interested in taking the effort to sign up to something of that sort when I can't even see the existing work to determine if it's worth the bother.

Spiny Norman
07-05-2007, 07:03 PM
I just tried the website above ... it was rather slow in response time ... so slow in fact that this would stop me from wanting to use it.

I tend to use www.chessgames.com for quick-n-easy exploration of openings. They have around 300,000 games in the database. I am a subscriber there.

For more detailed analysis, I now have Chess Assistant 9 with a 3.2M game database to explore.

ER
13-05-2007, 08:52 PM
Frosty, I use my Fritz 8 engine data base in order to store my games and my notes from openings etc. I use my Fritz 10 for playing games and (mainly) analysis.
Now I 've discovered that I can't get all the original database ( you know with the 100s n 1000s of master games etc. Can you please direct me how to recover it?
Cheers and good luck!

ChessZone.org
28-08-2007, 05:55 AM
It's easier to find info within ChessBase databases than in wiki-styled website.

Davidflude
28-08-2007, 11:37 AM
I have built up my database over a number of years. I started with one of the Chessbase ones. Each week I add in The Week in Chess. (this is really easy to do if you have Fritz or Chessbase. I have also bought the most up to date correspondence game database directly from Tim Harding. I also update games from ICCF. I have merged in the Rybka database. I have also downloaded games from Chesslab. I have also purchased various other stuff such as tim Harding's Marshall databse stuff.

Remember I am a correspondence player and need a lot more than is required for over the board chess.

A word of warning the databases that come with Fritz are designed to provide the sort of positions computers like not human beings.

Sutek
28-08-2007, 03:26 PM
I have built up my database over a number of years. I started with one of the Chessbase ones. Each week I add in The Week in Chess. (

Another good and free service is by Convekta (Chess Assistant).
Downloads at..
http://www.convekta.com/databases.asp