PDA

View Full Version : 'Blind' Chess

JGB
13-05-2004, 10:29 PM
I was wondering how many of the seeing chess folk have played chess 'blind'.

I am in the lucky position that at the company I work for here in Germany, we have a few chess players employed. I have taught about 6 to play from complete beginers to players who are now understanding openings and more complex middle game tactics. Its an enjoyment to watch, although its not exactly much fun to play against. Even with the clock at 2 minutes against 15 minutes I was still winning with about 1 in on the clock. Im not that good, but you pick up the patters and win quickly against new players. That was until I started playing blind. Now we are having good competitions where just in a short time im seeing the board so clearly 'blind'. I had always though it must be very difficult. Its amusing and can not be bad for the chess training. As long as your opponent clearly states the pieces and the correct square he is moving a piece to is a great chess excersise.

It has also helped when reading chess games, I dont need the board all the time, just for the more complex positions. For fun, training or in a tournament how many of you guys have tried it?

Alan Shore
14-05-2004, 12:12 AM
I tried it a couple of times, it was quite difficult. A friend of mine Kevin Sheldrick is quite good at blindfold, he's played it a lot on the internet, almost 1000 games. He even beat me when I wasn't blindfold..! After I beat him later at an OTB tournament I suggested maybe he should have played blindfold - he may have had a better chance at winning :D

Oepty
14-05-2004, 11:24 AM
Kevin is very very good at blindfold chess. I have played him a couple of times in blindfold games. I personally feel I don't play much weaker blindfold largely because it makes me think in a structured fashion. I tend to be metally lazy at the board, although I think I am becoming better at thinking things through.

JGB
14-05-2004, 03:38 PM
Kevin is very very good at blindfold chess. I have played him a couple of times in blindfold games. ...

Then I hope Kevin posts here and gives us a few insights into how he became such a strong 'blind chess' player and where do players get to practise OTB?

Rincewind
14-05-2004, 03:43 PM
Then I hope Kevin posts here and gives us a few insights into how he became such a strong 'blind chess' player and where do players get to practise OTB?

I believe you can set up a blind account on online chess servers like ICC and FICS and practice on there. I think alexmdc has done this on FICS so perhaps he has some insights on how this works.

Alex?

Alan Shore
14-05-2004, 05:46 PM

I'll ask him next time I speak to him but he won't be posting here any time soon, he has some crippling RSI right now and can't use a computer..

Keep in mind he is strong at blindfold but he's also 2100 ACF.

Alan Shore
14-05-2004, 05:47 PM
I believe you can set up a blind account on online chess servers like ICC and FICS and practice on there. I think alexmdc has done this on FICS so perhaps he has some insights on how this works.

Alex?

I don't know if it can be done with ICC, but on FICS you can register a separate blindfold account and play online there. (www.freechess.org).

Lucena
14-05-2004, 09:11 PM
Has anyone seen what Ian Rogers can do blindfold? I've seen him play 3 simultaneous blindfolded but I think he did more in Adelaide.

Garvinator
14-05-2004, 09:20 PM
at the mind games weekend at surfers, johansen will be doing a blindfold simul.

Alan Shore
14-05-2004, 09:21 PM
Has anyone seen what Ian Rogers can do blindfold? I've seen him play 3 simultaneous blindfolded but I think he did more in Adelaide.

He played a 5 board simul in Adelaide. As I recall Rogers was beaten by Kerry Stead and drew with Giang Nguyen.. not 100% certain though.

Kerry Stead
16-05-2004, 01:44 PM
He played a 5 board simul in Adelaide. As I recall Rogers was beaten by Kerry Stead and drew with Giang Nguyen.. not 100% certain though.

In Adelaide he played 5 blindfolded. Drew with Giang Nguyen and James Obst I think and won the other 3.
I beat him in the 20 (or so) board simul he did prior to his blindfold simul. Think there was one other who beat him on the day (although that might have been Alex Davidovic who lost a game - he was also doing a 20 board simul alongside Ian).
Was a well organised day, as was the entire Australian Championships festival.

On the subject of Ian giving blindfolded displays, I recall him playing a simul at a junior chess camp a number of years ago, and when he was nearing the end of the simul (about 3 boards left), he started playing 2 or 3 other games 'blindfolded' ... obviously he didn't have a blindfold on as he was finishing the other simul games ... but once he finished of the 3 leftovers from the main simul, he dutifully put something over his eyes and cleaned up the poor kids who were playing him in the blindfold simul.

I've tried playing blindfold chess on occasion, and cam play OK (although obviously much worse than my normal level - I say normal level because I can play some shockers!), but a blindfold simul! :hmm: :eek: Its impressive! :clap:

Alan Shore
16-05-2004, 04:26 PM
In Adelaide he played 5 blindfolded. Drew with Giang Nguyen and James Obst I think and won the other 3.
I beat him in the 20 (or so) board simul he did prior to his blindfold simul. Think there was one other who beat him on the day (although that might have been Alex Davidovic who lost a game - he was also doing a 20 board simul alongside Ian).
Was a well organised day, as was the entire Australian Championships festival.

Ah yes that's right. Trevor Tao was the one who beat Davidovic in the simul.. that must have been cake, hehe.

boardumb
18-05-2004, 01:30 AM
I've played a bit of blindfold on FICS, and out of my games i thought this one was pretty darn good. admittedly the other guy wasn't exactly kasparov, but i think that given that this was 2 12 blitz typing in your moves, that i saw most of the tactics (esp the tactic at the end) was a pretty good effort.

ummm i have no idea if the board appears as mangled to you as it does to me, but if you can be bothered, the game is also on fics, just 'ex boardumbblind %01'

1. e4 e5 2. Nc3 Nf6 3. Bc4 Bb4 4. d3 Bxc3+ 5. bxc3 d5 6. exd5 Nxd5 7. Bd2 Nc6 8. Nf3 O-O 9. O-O Bg4 10. h3 Bh5 11. Re1 Qf6 12. Bxd5 Ne7 13. Bxb7 Rab8 14. Rb1 c6 15. g4 Bg6 16. Nh2 h5 17. gxh5 Bf5 18. Qf3 Kh7 19. Ng4 Qh4 20. Kg2 Rfe8 21. Rb3 Qxh5 22. Nf6+ {here the other guy had enough and disconnected} 1-0

jeffrei
18-05-2004, 12:00 PM
Nf6+!

Good game yaar!

Oepty
18-05-2004, 01:04 PM
Kevin has done at least one blindfold simul at Adelaide Uni chess club. He played four players and I think beat them all. Although three of them were quite weak, the 4th was Robin Wedding who is rated over 1800. Robin has beaten Kevin in an normal OTB games.
As to the Rogers simul, Kerry has the right details. Rogers drew with Giang Nguyen and James Obst. The three players he beat were Kim Anderson rated 1886, Robert Hoile rated in the 1700's I think and Richard Thorne rated in the 1500's I think. It was a very impressive performance. As far as the normal simul goes, I think Rogers was beaten by Amir Amini as well, but I am far from sure about that. I managed a draw against Davidovic in the simul, although he missed an easy win in the endgame. Davidovic fought it out well against Tao and was only down 2 pawns in a lost endgame at the end of the simul, a good effort seeing Tao is the stronger player.
Scott

Capablanca-Fan
24-05-2007, 11:10 AM
I'm not sure how to explain it, or even what I visualise at the time. Probably takes some practice to increase the number of games played simultaneously. I played 5 at highschool, had a long break, played 6 at uni, another long break, then blindfold in our Logan handicap tournament one-on-one where I scored 19/20, then started playing simuls at conferences and chess clubs every so often, where my best was 11/11 at the Kapiti Chess Club in NZ. Larger simuls take a long time, and I'm not getting any younger ;)

Trent Parker
30-05-2007, 05:00 PM
Whilst Catching the train down to Doeberl this year Arthur Huynh and i had a couple of blindfold games with Josh Christensen moving the pieces on a small magnetic board. First game i believe I was black and played the Benko. Second game i was white and Arthur played the benoni.

I lost 2-0 in interesting games :D

Capablanca-Fan
04-06-2007, 04:55 AM
I've just finished a conference in America where I was scheduled to give a blindfold simul. More people wanted to play than I could take at one time, so one night was a sighted simul with 30, next night a blindfold simul of 10.

Had some nasty moments in the blindfold one, because I transposed moves from Board 4 to Board 8 and lost my queen. That is an occupational hazard; that's why I play different openings on each board, in my case cycling e4, d4, c3, Nf3. Both 4 and 8 were 1. Nf3 and I mixed them up. It takes a little while before the positions are clearly distinct in my mind; I didn't forget pieces till about 1:30 am (started at 11 pm for some reason), Some players think they should try to confuse me with unusual setups, but this actually helps me because the position is distinctive as well as advantageous.

Oh yeah, scored 40-0.

Basil
04-06-2007, 01:34 PM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y105/scene66/smilies/emoticondancer.gif