PDA

View Full Version : Program that tabulates chess players ratings histories

DogLover
22-04-2007, 10:17 PM
Hello,
A while back there was a thread somewhere where Frosty wrote a program to extract chess players ratings from the ACF master file.I enjoyed that and decided to write one of my own with a few more features in it.I am posting it here hoping that someone else will find it useful,perhaps a chessclub webmaster or someone just very curious.The program creates a file with a table of chess players ratings going back a year or more.You can tell it to sort the file and how far to go back,it has a few other options as well.
It is written in Java and I know this is not the best language to use for it but I needed the practice.It should work on any computer that supports Java.
Just unzip the archive into a convenient directory and have a look in the main file chessplayersratings.java for more instructions.It has to be run from a terminal or command line.

I am a very busy person so if there are any questions about it ,I may not be able to answer, so I apologize in advance.

Disclaimer - The program with source is free but ,use at your own risk.

I have attached the archive.:P

Garrett
24-04-2007, 09:56 AM
Hi Doglover

Thanks for the post, but I am not sure that a lot of people will be downloading and running a Java program on their machines from an anonymous source.

Perhaps you could introduce yourself.

Cheers
George.

DogLover
24-04-2007, 12:23 PM
Hello GeorgeL,
My name is Peter Wolf. I used to be a proffesional programmer a long time ago.I am getting back into it again after having more than several years of my life wasted by very strong medication that basically turned me into a zombie.I am on
new stuff now and feeling better(sometimes) and hope to have a full time job again by the end of the year.I still have a lot of hurdles to overcome but I am very determined.As far as chess goes I am spending very little time on it these days which my recent results are showing.I still love chess but
dont want to spend much time on it anymore.
I suppose people could test the program on an old machine if they were worried.Also people could check the code if they know a little about programming.:P