PDA

View Full Version : Play the Jamaican Chess Champion

arosar
12-05-2004, 06:29 PM
If in Sydney come and play the Jamaican Chess Champion. He's a busker and you can find him on the corner of King and George. All comers and donations welcome for a game of blitz. Be generous!

AR

PHAT
12-05-2004, 07:07 PM
If in Sydney come and play the Jamaican Chess Champion.

Shane The Magician Matthews ?

JGB
12-05-2004, 07:14 PM
Who is this guy? Is he really good? :eek:

1min_grandmaster
13-05-2004, 12:40 PM
Can you confirm his identity? I saw a player on George St on the weekend claiming to be the Jamaican # 1 (written on a banner) first playing Francisco Plaza, went into a bookstore, then when I came back out, it was someone completely different (as in, completely different skin colour and build) playing Kuan Kuan Tian. I walked away less than 50 m and then when I came back, they were all totally gone.... magic disappearing act. I saw some police around, so maybe that had something to do with it. Was tempted to play myself.

Will they be there again at the same place? Can you say for certain which one (if either) is the champion?

arosar
05-11-2004, 06:42 AM
Here are some pics of the so called Jamaican chess champ in action on George St.

AR

arosar
05-11-2004, 06:43 AM
Apparently the guy's dad is dying of prostate cancer. He makes quite a few bucks too - certainly more than he'd win in a weekender and for less effort.

AR

arosar
05-11-2004, 06:47 AM
The crowds just can't get away. Pablo, that's his name, actually has a stereo blaring in the background.

AR

arosar
05-11-2004, 06:48 AM
And who's that guy he's playing? That's the bloke who beat Rogers at the ANU Open.

AR

antichrist
07-11-2004, 04:36 PM
If in Sydney come and play the Jamaican Chess Champion. He's a busker and you can find him on the corner of King and George. All comers and donations welcome for a game of blitz. Be generous!

AR

Sorry to be negative but I consider most chess players are out there for what they can get out of the game not what they can put in. Especially those park chess players.

Candy-Cane
08-11-2004, 01:07 PM
Ok who took the pics? I may come by and c for myself on friday.

What times does he come? And for how long?

JGB
08-11-2004, 08:27 PM
I wanna know, is he any good? Like 'champion' good? :)

Bill Gletsos
08-11-2004, 10:00 PM
I wanna know, is he any good? Like 'champion' good? :)
He is rated 1525 on the ACF list based on 14 games.

eclectic
08-11-2004, 10:16 PM

so bill,

do you think he'll get a vip invite to mt buller based on those ratings?

or would he pass up the offer anyway for climatic reasons?

;)

eclectic

Bill Gletsos
08-11-2004, 10:24 PM
so bill,

do you think he'll get a vip invite to mt buller based on those ratings?

or would he pass up the offer anyway for climatic reasons?

;)

eclectic
Well he currently has no FIDE rating but Jamaica dies currently has 2 players rated over 2200 on the FIDE list and 26 in total of which 7 are marked as inactive and the lowest rated is 1875.

So I wonder when he was the champ and exactly where he gets his "Jamaican Champion" title from.
Surely it couldnt be a case of "marketing puff".

eclectic
08-11-2004, 10:32 PM

bill man,

i would need be blinded by many a rasta dreadlock cord over my eyes if my mind were to believe that !!

:whistle:
:hand:

eclectic

JGB
08-11-2004, 10:33 PM
Well he currently has no FIDE rating but Jamaica dies currently has 2 players rated over 2200 on the FIDE list and 26 in total of which 7 are marked as inactive and the lowest rated is 1875.

So I wonder when he was the champ and exactly where he gets his "Jamaican Champion" title from.

It's too bad he is Jamaican, because with the title 'champion' he would be almost guaranteed a place in my book. ;)

Rincewind
08-11-2004, 10:49 PM

Perhaps. In post 7 it appears that White has the move and the position is

1.Re1 Qh3 2.Rxe7+ Nxe7 3.Qxf6+ Kh6 4.Qf8+ Kg5 5.Qf4#

It appears to be one game the Jamaican Champ was not going to win - unless, in time trouble, white misses the mate threatened after 1...Qh3. (Unfortunately glare prevents the reading of the position on the clock).

However, 1.Re1 is sufficient and strong as if Black goes for the mate with 1...Qh3 then White unleases a mate of his own beginning 2.Rxe7+ Nxe7 3.Qf6+ Kh6 4.Qf8+ Kg5 5.Qf4#. If white tempers with 1...Kh8 then 2.f3 and 3.Re2 kills Black counterplay, whereupon White wins easily. ;)

Rhubarb
08-11-2004, 11:03 PM
It appears to be one game the Jamaican Champ was not going to win - unless, in time trouble, white misses the mate threatened after 1...Qh3. (Unfortunately glare prevents the reading of the position on the clock).
Baz, I had a good look at the position on post #7 as well. At first I thought it was a white rook on d7, not a knight. Still, it's winning for White in all cases, even if it's Black's move (...Qh3 is still easily met by Re1).

Rincewind
09-11-2004, 12:28 AM
Baz, I had a good look at the position on post #7 as well. At first I thought it was a white rook on d7, not a knight. Still, it's winning for White in all cases, even if it's Black's move (...Qh3 is still easily met by Re1).

To be honest I can't tell for sure what is on d7. But it doesn't matter too much as exchanging off pieces and marching those clearly visible Q-side pawns is another just as effective (if somewhat prosaic) way to win. The help-mate line appealled to me so perhaps I willed it to be a knight. ;)

Ian Rout
09-11-2004, 07:51 AM

The Jamaican Olympiad team was

Shane Matthews (2251)
Duane Rowe (2197)
Russel Porter (2176)
Malaku Lorne (2110)
Ian Wilkinson (unrated)

so they not only didn't require their champion but even preferred to go in a player short.

They finished 102nd.

Rincewind
09-11-2004, 08:53 AM
The Jamaican Olympiad team was

Shane Matthews (2251)
Duane Rowe (2197)
Russel Porter (2176)
Malaku Lorne (2110)
Ian Wilkinson (unrated)

so they not only didn't require their champion but even preferred to go in a player short.

They finished 102nd.

Perhaps due to a mix-up in Jamaican chess administration, a national championship was held at the same time as an olympiad. ;)

Garvinator
09-11-2004, 09:45 AM
Perhaps due to a mix-up in Jamaican chess administration, a national championship was held at the same time as an olympiad. ;)
maybe they held the Jamacian championship was held on the streets of sydney :P

Kerry Stead
09-11-2004, 09:57 AM
maybe they held the Jamacian championship was held on the streets of sydney :P

Surely there would be eligibility issues involved if this was the case ...

Bill Gletsos
09-11-2004, 10:01 AM
The "Champion" claim was made prior to the September ACF rating list and well before the Olympiad started.

AR seems to be the expert on this guy, so perhaps he knows the facts.

George Xie
09-11-2004, 10:04 AM
if when oneday i see him on the road i will take him down.

Bill Gletsos
09-11-2004, 10:05 AM
I doubt you would have any trouble doing so. ;)

George Xie
09-11-2004, 10:21 AM
that's true, sometime the low rate player can give good player hard time, like if you in russia even an Taxi driver can give GM hard time at blitz!

Paul S
09-11-2004, 11:05 AM

I think you will beat him! :D

I have seen the so-called Jamaican chess champ occassionally in the Sydney CBD a few times, in Pitt Street Mall and in George Street (near corner of Liverpool Street). So, George, is you pass by these areas of the CBD keep a look out for him!

P.S. Don't forget Interleagues (which you won :clap: :clap: :clap: ) and Combined Leagues Rapidplay presentation night is tomorrow (Wednesday) at Canterbury Leagues at 7.30pm.

arosar
09-11-2004, 11:56 AM
The "Champion" claim was made prior to the September ACF rating list and well before the Olympiad started.

AR seems to be the expert on this guy, so perhaps he knows the facts.

This guy is not likely to be a Jamaican champion. I use this kind of phrasing because I don't actually know that for a fact. However, based on other things that I know, viz. his rating, his ability (I've played him in blitz) and that he's from NZ actually, it's not likely that he'd win the Jamaican championships even if all other contestants were stoned.

Look . . . all this is just street hustling stuff. He also claims that his dad is dying of cancer for example.

AR

Garvinator
09-11-2004, 11:58 AM
This guy is not likely to be a Jamaican champion. I use this kind of phrasing because I don't actually know that for a fact. However, based on other things that I know, viz. his rating, his ability (I've played him in blitz) and that he's from NZ actually, it's not likely that he'd win the Jamaican championships even if all other contestants were stoned.

Look . . . all this is just street hustling stuff. He also claims that his dad is dying of cancer for example.

AR
ahh now this is a better example of marketing puff ;) :lol: :lol:

Rhubarb
09-11-2004, 12:19 PM
It's not even hustling. The bloke's a busker, pure and simple. He should have no problem with the chess establishment; his occasional problem might be with the po-leece.

Goughfather
09-11-2004, 05:10 PM
Isn't Ian Rogers meant to be the "World Champion" of a particular street in Spain?

JGB
09-11-2004, 05:47 PM
Dunno, but from the amount of air time the Jamaican myth is getting here, I will start believing that he is the world champion.

boardumb
09-11-2004, 06:47 PM
It seems that the "Jamaican Champion" has resurfaced in Melbourne (at least unless it's a travelling troupe of "Jamaican Champion"'s).
A couple of friends have seen him in the CBD near the corner of Bourke and Swanston Sts. Haven't managed to catch the guy in the act though.

Garvinator
09-11-2004, 06:49 PM
It seems that the "Jamaican Champion" has resurfaced in Melbourne (at least unless it's a travelling troupe of "Jamaican Champion"'s).
A couple of friends have seen him in the CBD near the corner of Bourke and Swanston Sts. Haven't managed to catch the guy in the act though.
maybe he is hustling his way to buller ;)

auriga
09-11-2004, 07:47 PM

i think (?!) i played him for 1 of those games.
was in gosford in first round from memory.
he was estimated at 1800/2000 initially by organisers.

Kerry Stead
10-11-2004, 01:08 AM
I too was one of the infamous 14 games ... mine was at ANU Open, and our 'Jamaican Champ' didn't take the loss too well.

Garvinator
10-11-2004, 01:11 AM
I too was one of the infamous 14 games ... mine was at ANU Open, and our 'Jamaican Champ' didn't take the loss too well.
is this guys name Pablo Williams?

Kerry Stead
10-11-2004, 01:22 AM
is this guys name Pablo Williams?
Yes it is

JGB
10-11-2004, 01:23 AM
You mean he has a name! can that really be revealed?! :D that would be like knowing Superman is Clark Kent! He should be just know as the Jamaican Champion. ;)

edit:...few seconds too late :(

Garvinator
10-11-2004, 01:30 AM
Yes it is
well then he isnt very championy (is that a word) is he?

George Xie
10-11-2004, 06:08 AM
I think you will beat him! :D

I have seen the so-called Jamaican chess champ occassionally in the Sydney CBD a few times, in Pitt Street Mall and in George Street (near corner of Liverpool Street). So, George, is you pass by these areas of the CBD keep a look out for him!

P.S. Don't forget Interleagues (which you won :clap: :clap: :clap: ) and Combined Leagues Rapidplay presentation night is tomorrow (Wednesday) at Canterbury Leagues at 7.30pm.

Thanks Paul! :)

yes I will come the presentation at tonight, I see you at there.

All The Best

Kevin Bonham
04-02-2005, 04:14 PM
Mr Williams has been in Hobart at least the last two days. Yesterday he was seen losing to someone who we have yet to identify. Today I played him but only drew (I blundered the exchange early in the game, recovered to have K+N+P vs K with eleven seconds to six but my flag fell one move short of mate with him with one second left - very fast reflexes.)

Gringo
04-02-2005, 04:41 PM
Almost worth a trip to Tassie to see that....

redhob
04-02-2005, 07:17 PM
While walking around the city, was suprised to see Pablo at the Cat and Fiddle arcade in Hobart. Played 4 games with him. He told me he will be around for about another week in Hobart.

Careth
05-02-2005, 08:08 PM
I played this guy a month and a half ago in Perth. I have a rating of 1180 or something and drew. But then again, w/ the red bull pumping as well as loads of fanta, i reckon he was going for time:)

ElevatorEscapee
18-03-2005, 05:46 PM
He seems to be touring around Australia. He played in the Ballarat Begonia on the long weekend, and this week he was sighted playing down the Mall in Bendigo. :)

JGB
18-03-2005, 07:19 PM
The dude completely flipped out in the last round after losing. It was funny to watch. :lol: Actually after being destroyed I told him its better to move off, he was pretty disturbed. He did make it into the 'pit in an earlier round though. '

bunta
09-04-2005, 12:05 PM

AR

I'm not sure if i have the exact same guy that you people are talking about

My brother works in myer in the city and saw the guy play, however he plays in a different style. Its very rapid and speed chess play, also when there is a check, he doesn't say its a check you have to see the check for yourself and if you don't see it next move he takes your king and that's the end, you lose and then you have to make a donation. Apparently his raising money to visit his brother in Jamacia or something

JGB
09-04-2005, 12:36 PM
I'm not sure if i have the exact same guy that you people are talking about

My brother works in myer in the city and saw the guy play, however he plays in a different style. Its very rapid and speed chess play, also when there is a check, he doesn't say its a check you have to see the check for yourself and if you don't see it next move he takes your king and that's the end, you lose and then you have to make a donation. Apparently his raising money to visit his brother in Jamacia or something

Yep thats our Pablo! :lol:

antichrist
09-04-2005, 04:20 PM
When a teenager and keen ping pong player a guy came up all chest poking out claiming to be the Egyptian champion. In front of a big crowd and me never have seen him play I challenged him to a $100 game, wages then about $15 pw. I thrashed him to 21-5! He shut up after that.

Spiny Norman
09-04-2005, 05:07 PM
When a teenager and keen ping pong player a guy came up all chest poking out claiming to be the Egyptian champion. In front of a big crowd and me never have seen him play I challenged him to a $100 game, wages then about $15 pw. I thrashed him to 21-5! He shut up after that.

You could've moved to Egypt and become a star. :lol:

Kerry Stead
02-05-2005, 10:55 AM
The latest Pablo signing has him back in Sydney ... in Newtown in front of the 7-11 on King St. This was at night though, so perhaps he's in the city during the day, and then moves to Newtown in the evening?!
His 'plight' does seem a little over-the-top ... he has 3 sheets of cardboard (proper presentation cardboard, not 'this was once a box' cardboard) with his situation, rules of speed chess and hs 'credentials' written on them ... added to this is a CD player with about 10 CDs around the place ... cardboard held down with batteries ... decent looking shirt & clothers ... DGT XL to go with the chess set ...

antichrist
02-05-2005, 11:34 AM
I certainly hope you took him on and showed him the calibra of WASPs. You didn't lose did you?

auriga
03-05-2005, 11:39 AM
added to this is a CD player with about 10 CDs around the place ... cardboard held down with batteries ... decent looking shirt & clothers ... DGT XL to go with the chess set ...

wow. impressive setup.

Comrade
03-05-2005, 08:39 PM
wow. impressive setup.

I wonder how much he raises per day? Maybe a normal job could get him more !?
What does his missus do while he is out hustling?

WhiteElephant
03-05-2005, 09:08 PM
I wonder how much he raises per day? Maybe a normal job could get him more

Why would he want to get a real job? He gets to sit wherever he wants, chat to people and play chess all day. I bet he doesn't have a busking permit though.