PDA

View Full Version : Blast from the past

Alan Shore
12-05-2004, 01:13 PM
I was digging through the archives and have found the controversial and much maligned David Caldon post. I have edited it to make it post-worthy, you may PM me if you wish to see it in its entirety.

Where has Dmitri Gedevani gone?
Date: 09 Nov 2000
Time: 20:06:51
Remote Name: perax2-059.dialup.optusnet.com.au

Comments
Dear sirs madames and/ or others including cross-dressers,

I don't believe in excluding any minority groups, and as we all know chess attracts many a cross-dresser. Still at least they dress in something, rags mostly, otherwise chess would have well and truly gone to the dogs. I've got a few questions for whoever might be hazarding across this e-mail. Firstly where has Dmitri Gedevani taken off to? He used to be my coach back in the east, N.S.W that is.

He once commented to me that chess was a sickness, and that I had contracted this sickness. At the time I thought he was joking but in hindsight and with the fullness of time I can see where he is coming from. Lord knows there are more valuable pursuits to pre-occupy us in this lifetime. However back when he challenged me of being afflicted with chess sickness I was playing chess for blood. I hated to lose, I prided myself on winning, going that extra mile looking for that winning sequence of moves. To what end? What did I succeed in doing? Well not a hell of a lot really, for the time I invested. But then what of Rogers, Johanssen and co. Will they be remembered either? In hindsight will they look back on their lives and say, thank god I studied the anti-sicilian version 5.5 that really turned my life around when I beet that pesky russkie over the board and brought back gold for Australia. They wish! Will they come to their senses? Is it worth going partially blind beating off on many a late night studying the chess opening encyclopedia for the visually impaired. In Braille for those of us who have spent one to many a night locked in battle against Fritz millenium, pairing our wits against the unthinking unfeeling unrelenting digital foe. All so we can pride ourself on winning a tournament or two. So fellow chess addicts will take us seriously when we say "the french defense has been refuted by Bobby Fischer, it is unviable". Nobody will challenge us because they are afraid they will lose to us in mortal combat over the chessboard. Reputations ruined, life dreams gone up in flames. Only joking but seriously for chess simply to survive in Australia, it has got to get real. When Spassky said chess has gone to the dogs he was spot on. [place deleted] that labryinth underground full of oddballs and [deleted] with [names deleted] all addicted to the evil weed) and chess addicts not to mention [deleted] and other deviants) really does not send a healthy picture out to the public. It is a [deleted] disgrace euphimistically speaking. Get real demolish these [deleted] emporiums of false worship. Face it the computer plays chess better than any body in the whole of Sydney. [names deleted] you're no better than a stupid unthinking black box. Which is where you're headed if you don't get off the evil weed, quit chess and do something meaningful with your lives, you stupid [deleted]. Stop complaining chess doesn't pay. Get off your lazy asses and get a [deleted] job. You bludging [deleted] living off hard working Australian taxpayers.

What chess really needs is for a complete rethink. Cull all those lousy "strong players" inject a good dose of humour and a sense of fun, for what is a truly great game, albeit just a game, not a sport for god's sake. Although there probably is a case for tiddly winks to be including in the olympics as it certainly is more exciting than that American abortion called baseball. Anyhow if anybody spots Gedevani tell him I think he'd kick Rogers feline butt any day of the week.

Yours David Caldon

with a view of evoking a response from that dozy [deleted] ill disciplined lifeless group we call the Australian chess community

PHAT
12-05-2004, 03:34 PM
More than a smidgon of truth reguarding chess in that spray. :lol:

JGB
12-05-2004, 03:46 PM
I am sure that much of what he wrote goes through a lot of the chess players mind over the years. Although I also work full time, I spend many an hour studying openings and end games late at night. Its a passion not a 'disease'.

Just beacuse he never achieved what he wanted from the game doesn't mean that we can not. :)

Good playing, and may chess bring us all many more years of happiness.

Rincewind
12-05-2004, 04:47 PM
More than a smidgon of truth reguarding chess in that spray. :lol:

I enjoyed the first half. It fell away in the second half to nothing more than ill conceived ranting and name calling.

Kris
27-10-2005, 03:38 AM
I used to live in the same college as David Colden at uni. I would like to get in touch with him again. Does anyone know how I can do that? email for example. PM me if necessary.

If anyone knows I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

four four two
27-10-2005, 04:02 AM
Geez,he aint bitter and frustrated is he? :lol: What people like Caldon fail to mention is that your average suburbanite "wastes" more time watching crappy to mediocre tv because they cant consider anything better.
Chess can be a healthy diversion,just like playing footy/cricket/golf/tennis,etc.
It can also become a vain,and vindictive expression of rage,also just like footy/cricket/golf/tennis,etc.
One mans meat is another mans poison,so the saying goes.
Which would you honestly rather do people,look at an interesting chess position or watch the latest episode of McLeods daughters? :hmm: :owned:

Watto
27-10-2005, 11:17 AM
You can draw quite a few parallels with art. Most artists never get much financial reward or public recognition. Many really struggle financially, wonder whether it’s worth it, struggle to maintain self esteem, get depressed. Many artists have been intelligent in other areas, could have pursued other ‘easier’ paths; all of which can lead to bitterness, self doubt.

But, like chess, art can be an absorbing, stimulating, wonderful activity. Which is why people bother to spend so much time on it in the first place. When a painting or a drawing comes together, it’s the best feeling in the world. And from what insight I do have into chess, I think the rewards you get are very similar.

Your whole life doesn’t have to be about chess, or art, but passions can be great things.