PDA

View Full Version : In yer dreams ...

Kevin Bonham
08-05-2004, 10:26 PM
Does anyone else here ever have dreams about chess? I don't have many, but most of them are horrible. Typically I'll get beaten by someone I would ordinarily never lose to, either someone I have an overwhelming scoreline against or even an utter novice. Usually this will involve my time simply running away while I sit there powerless to prevent it, copious cheating by my opponent and an illegally large number of opposing pawns parked menacingly on my third rank.

However a few nights ago my alter-ego enjoyed a form reversal and managed a draw against Peter Leko. I don't remember the exact position but we had castled opposite sides and Leko (Black) had an enormous q-side attack but his Q was parked on h5 and I had a lot of pressure piled up on the g-file, but no actual winning threats. Leko missed that I had a Nxf4 hitting his queen and threatening to take it then sac for a draw before he could checkmate me. He played ...Qd1+ giving up his Q to capture by some minor piece and disrupting my q-side defences, but only had enough attack to force a perpetual with the single tempo left before I forced one myself.

Leko was disgusted by this result and stormed off (I think this bit was inspired by reading about one of Theos Rippis' opponents doing that in the Asian Cities). Leko was even less impressed when he learned that a movie producer intended to use the game in a chess scene in a major blockbuster, thus exposing to the world at large how he had conceded a draw to such a bunny. He even sent a hired thug after me with the object of forcing me to surrender all records of the game so that it would be as if it had never happened. I was telling the thug not to bother, the game was already all over in the internet and published in Australian Chess, there was no way it could possibly be disposed of. Then I woke up. :hmm:

Trent Parker
08-05-2004, 10:33 PM
d'oh

Alan Shore
08-05-2004, 10:38 PM
Does anyone else here ever have dreams about chess? I don't have many, but most of them are horrible. Typically I'll get beaten by someone I would ordinarily never lose to, either someone I have an overwhelming scoreline against or even an utter novice. Usually this will involve my time simply running away while I sit there powerless to prevent it, copious cheating by my opponent and an illegally large number of opposing pawns parked menacingly on my third rank.

However a few nights ago my alter-ego enjoyed a form reversal and managed a draw against Peter Leko. I don't remember the exact position but we had castled opposite sides and Leko (Black) had an enormous q-side attack but his Q was parked on h5 and I had a lot of pressure piled up on the g-file, but no actual winning threats. Leko missed that I had a Nxf4 hitting his queen and threatening to take it then sac for a draw before he could checkmate me. He played ...Qd1+ giving up his Q to capture by some minor piece and disrupting my q-side defences, but only had enough attack to force a perpetual with the single tempo left before I forced one myself.

Leko was disgusted by this result and stormed off (I think this bit was inspired by reading about one of Theos Rippis' opponents doing that in the Asian Cities). Leko was even less impressed when he learned that a movie producer intended to use the game in a chess scene in a major blockbuster, thus exposing to the world at large how he had conceded a draw to such a bunny. He even sent a hired thug after me with the object of forcing me to surrender all records of the game so that it would be as if it had never happened. I was telling the thug not to bother, the game was already all over in the internet and published in Australian Chess, there was no way it could possibly be disposed of. Then I woke up. :hmm:

That's awesome, nice to remember it so vividly too. I usually dream of chess upon playing a whole heap of games on the net, so in the past have dreamt a lot about bug, (and lately, suicide chess).. suffice to say I think it detracts somewhat from quality of sleep, hehe. Thanks for sharing anyway, hehe.

Trent Parker
08-05-2004, 10:40 PM
I hardly ever dream. Dreaming about chess would be the best though!

Alan Shore
08-05-2004, 10:45 PM
I hardly ever dream. Dreaming about chess would be the best though!

Hehe, not sure I can agree, it makes you somewhat restless I believe. I had some dream last night that involved some characters in Frasier and a dispute over washing or something :p

Kevin Bonham
08-05-2004, 10:57 PM
That's awesome, nice to remember it so vividly too.

Actually I got the squares the wrong way round when I was describing it before - just mirror-image all the files from my post. I remember other details of the position but not quite enough to recreate it and see how erroneous the analysis was. :(

Rincewind
08-05-2004, 11:52 PM

Actually that dream is quite common. ;)

Trent Parker
09-05-2004, 03:17 AM
in a dream i am at university late doing an assignment. Logging on to chesskit and making comments about chess. oh hang on..... it's reality!!! :lol:

arosar
09-05-2004, 04:45 PM
Do you dream in colour?

AR

PHAT
09-05-2004, 06:11 PM
Do you dream in colour?

Interestingly, men tend not to recall colour in their dreams unless colour per se is important to the dream itself. Women do recall colour.

Also, smell is quite rare dreams while acceleration (inner ear balance) related preceptions are common.

Does anyone have some recent literature on this stuff.

eclectic
09-05-2004, 06:42 PM
Interestingly, men tend not to recall colour in their dreams unless colour per se is important to the dream itself. Women do recall colour.

Also, smell is quite rare dreams while acceleration (inner ear balance) related preceptions are common.

Does anyone have some recent literature on this stuff.
my most common sensation in dreams is feeling like an alert mind inside a corpse and not being able to get myself to move

it's as if i'm possessed by another being or force

perhaps this should be taken to

"in your nightmares"

fears,

eclectic

PHAT
09-05-2004, 07:37 PM
my most common sensation in dreams is feeling like an alert mind inside a corpse and not being able to get myself to move

it's as if i'm possessed by another being or force

perhaps this should be taken to

"in your nightmares"

fears,

eclectic

During sleep the brain has to turn off the link between the the motor cortex and everything else, otherwise you would be thrashing about all night with movements require in your dreams. However, there are times when this link is not full cut.
1. Just as you go to sleep - sometimes we give a kick or some twitches when the cut is not quite completed
2. Sleep walking / talking
3. Extemely emotional dreams - fear, anger, sex.
4. Restless legs syndrome - a sleep disorder where your kicking legs keep waking you up.

Another interesting phenominum is where the cut remains intact, but the rest of the brain is nearly awake. Under such circumstances, your waking brain sences the inablitiy to move as a paralyisis. This can be be a very strong sensation in some people. If the person has also been indulging in X-Files type literature, or has has an strong interest in such stuff, the fear can trigger their autonomic NS to start a peristalic wave that feels a bit like defication. In combination, it can result in a frighteningly vivid recollection of alien abduction and anal probes.

How's your bum, eclectic?

eclectic
09-05-2004, 08:14 PM
If the person has also been indulging in X-Files type literature, or has has an strong interest in such stuff, the fear can trigger their autonomic NS to start a peristalic wave that feels a bit like defication. In combination, it can result in a frighteningly vivid recollection of alien abduction and anal probes.

How's your bum, eclectic?
DAGNABBIT MR SWEENEY !!!!

I AM NOT ERIC CARTMAN

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

:p

eclectic

Kevin Bonham
10-05-2004, 02:35 AM
Interestingly, men tend not to recall colour in their dreams unless colour per se is important to the dream itself.

I recall colour without difficulty more or less irrespective of importance. Objects may not have a fixed colour (indeed frequently don't) but even if so I can remember the colour changes pretty well. GM Leko was wearing a medium-green blazer, a dull tan jumper and yellow trousers.

Offhand, I cannot remember having a single dream involving smell, ever.

PHAT
10-05-2004, 08:12 AM
I recall colour without difficulty more or less irrespective of importance.

But seriously, the colour/no colour thing, is a generality. Also, we must be aware that our memories of dreams are not as vivid as our memories of reality. The disconcerting aspect aboout memory, especially non-deliberate memories, is how much of it is made up. Most periferal details are not put down in memory at all. Our brain simply has an out line of the event/object and it uses other memories to fill in the details.

Lawyers are starting to realise that current reseach into memory, is close to making "eye witness" non-deliberate memory accounts of events, inadmisable in court. :eek:

Perhaps you have seen a photo of Leko with a green coat.

Trent Parker
10-05-2004, 03:03 PM
now now sweeney. Not everyone fits the mould

Rincewind
10-05-2004, 03:25 PM
Maybe you are a closset poofter.

:eek:

As a serious question, Kevin, how were you able to keep a straight face whenever Leko spoke? He has what has got to be the most comical voice on the super GM circuit. ;)

JGB
10-05-2004, 03:52 PM
When i started really getting stuck into the chess study (May 2001) I probably dreamt about chess 50% of all my dreams (well of those i remember anyway; at least one a night). This would have been a result of being a player who went from never studying or relly playing chess to a 4-6 hours per day studier of the game for a 2 year period now. Thje dreams have eased up a bit now I have maybe only one chess dream every 2 days. Im not sure if I liked it or not, but I was certain some how it was doing my chess a great deal of good. if I could see it all so clearly in my dreams, the perfect position for a game studied that day with new ideas flowing, must be a good sign. not easy to break it to the girlfriend that shes number 2 on your dreams list, after chess.

PHAT
10-05-2004, 03:59 PM
Important typo correction:

Lawyers are starting to realise that current reseach into memory, is close to making "eye witness" non-deliberate memory accounts of events, inadmisable in court. :eek:

Trent Parker
10-05-2004, 05:20 PM
"an attempt at humour"? A story found on http://www.queensac.com/bob.html

Alan Shore
10-05-2004, 05:39 PM
Hehe, delightful story Trent.. if only we could get those dreams ;)

Alan Shore
10-05-2004, 05:41 PM
Lawyers are starting to realise that current reseach into memory, is close to making "eye witness" non-deliberate memory accounts of events, inadmisable in court.

This doesn't surprise me based upon psychological research on witness testimonies.. even 'having a high level of certainty' recalling an event from memory only correlates r=.25 with the truth.

Rincewind
10-05-2004, 05:43 PM
This doesn't surprise me based upon psychological research on witness testimonies.. even 'having a high level of certainty' recalling an event from memory only correlates r=.25 with the truth.

Since when have the courts been interested in the truth?

Rincewind
10-05-2004, 05:46 PM
"an attempt at humour"? A story found on http://www.queensac.com/

Trent,

Funny story. Although next time it would be best to provide a URL link to external resources rather than copy them verbatim. It saves on facilities and mitigates legal risk.

regards

Kevin Bonham
10-05-2004, 06:26 PM
Perhaps you have seen a photo of Leko with a green coat.

He was wearing quite a gaudy outfit (though I can't say how close it was to that specified) in one of the rapids that were televised last year. It's likely that in the dream he was wearing my best memory of that.

Kevin Bonham
10-05-2004, 06:29 PM
As a serious question, Kevin, how were you able to keep a straight face whenever Leko spoke? He has what has got to be the most comical voice on the super GM circuit. ;)

I don't think he ever spoke in the dream. My conversation about what was going on was conducted entirely with his hired "thug" (who, I have to say, wasn't really all that thuggish).

Trent Parker
10-05-2004, 07:49 PM
Trent,

Funny story. Although next time it would be best to provide a URL link to external resources rather than copy them verbatim. It saves on facilities and mitigates legal risk.

regards
done

Kevin Bonham
01-07-2004, 04:00 AM
Does anyone else here ever have dreams about chess? I don't have many, but most of them are horrible. Typically I'll get beaten by someone I would ordinarily never lose to, either someone I have an overwhelming scoreline against

Aaaaaaaargh! This actually happened IRL tonight, lost to someone I was previously +5=0-0 against and thereby almost certainly lost the club championship I've won outright the past six years in a row. Aaaaaargh!

(Entirely self-inflicted, I didn't play the man, and gave him the sort of position I knew he was strong in. Stooooooooopid.)

Anyway I have another distantly chess-related dream, although it's really more golf than chess. I dreamt that I had somehow qualified for an 18-hole playoff in a major golf event (those, such as S.T., who have heard of my dreadful golfing abilities will realise that this is far, far less likely than me drawing with Peter Leko.) Of course I was expecting to be mashed by 25 strokes or so by my quality opponent and was hence very surprised to be heading off to the second tee one up after getting a birdie on the first hole (hey, I guess there's a first time for everything, pity it was while I was asleep.)

What does this have to do with chess? My opponent was one S. Solomon.

Brian_Jones
01-07-2004, 09:10 AM
Take a look at Ray Kitchen's dream in the latest Australia Chess magazine!

Alan Shore
18-11-2004, 10:34 PM
More strange dreams.. I was at university to take some exams and I ran into Barry Cox. I was surprised at how old he looked too as I had imagined him to be quite a bit younger. He was telling me how he was also interested in anicent history and symbology. Then while I was sitting in the exam room someone asked me if I wanted to have a haircut. Afterwards, a few people and I were on a bus in Los Angeles but I had to ask them to stop in the middle of the freeway so I could retrieve my car. The driver was reluctant but with the persuasion of Steve Buscemi and Jack Nicholson the driver did stop when a friend noticed my car. We walked back to it only to discover it was the exact model and year but with a different license plate, upon which I woke up.

JGB
18-11-2004, 11:07 PM
More strange dreams...upon which I woke up.
Damn!, you just woke up before Antichrist entered scene 2 with Robert De Niro in the street battle scene direct from the movie 'Heat'. :D

Kevin Bonham
13-04-2005, 05:35 PM
Possibly the stupidest dream I've ever had - brings a whole new meaning to the idea of "coffeehouse chess".

Last night I dreamt that I was playing game one of six in a match against another top Tasmanian player. The game was being played on an unusually large board and I was having trouble focussing on the position. I kept transferring it to a smaller board to analyse it (nobody seemed to object to this) but when I did so the position kept changing, usually for the worse. Finally I concentrated on the main board where I was three pawns down in a double rook ending with some tactics involving cross-pins on an attacked pawn, I don't remember the exact details. I had thought I had a sequence that recovered two pawns with chances but found that the position was different to the one I'd analysed and the line actually dropped a rook. So I played whatever I could to keep going and soon found my opponent had an unstoppable pawn which queened.

He was waiting for me to resign but as I surveyed the board looking for swindles I noticed that my remaining pieces had turned into half-full hot cafe lattes and I was in an endgame of king and five lattes vs king and queen (opponent may have had other material). Improbably I seemed to have winning chances as I had his king (on h8) boxed up by my king (f6) with two of my lattes on g7 and g8. It occurred to me that if I could completely surround his king with lattes then he would be unable to prevent me from tipping hot latte on his king next move and would therefore be immediately checkmated. I therefore wanted to play latte (a8)-h7 mate and got up to ask the DOP whether this was a legal move.

My opponent was disgusted. I said "I need to find out how lattes move, it isn't stated in the laws of chess". He said "You've beaten me so often, it won't hurt you to lose just one." On my way to the arbiter's table I suddenly realised the answer for myself - lattes are not chess pieces and could not contribute in any way to my attack. (Doh!) I therefore returned to the table, resigned and shook my opponent's hand. I tried to apologise saying "I'm sorry about that, it had never come up before, I just wanted to know my rights" but he was ropable and refused to listen.

antichrist
13-04-2005, 07:00 PM
I have never dreamt of anything chess, am I missing something?

Eric
15-04-2005, 01:45 PM
AC I thought it would have been obvious, you're missing a brain!

Spiny Norman
15-04-2005, 04:03 PM
Possibly the stupidest dream I've ever had - brings a whole new meaning to the idea of "coffeehouse chess".

I actually think its quite profound ... but I hadn't picked you as one of the latte set KB!

antichrist
15-04-2005, 06:23 PM
AC I thought it would have been obvious, you're missing a brain!

Just shows that I have a lot more interesting things to dream about aye? Actually you may be on something on there I can't remember when I last dreamt. I think it was of AR showering and I was perving on him hahaha

Trent Parker
03-09-2005, 07:32 PM
I rarely dream... I had a couple of dreams involving chess last night.....

There was one where i was playing in a huge tournament..... In Mt Buller! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Frank Walker
03-09-2005, 07:51 PM
I had a dream of my son playing chess and when he lost he ate all the other players and the arbiter didnt give him money so he gobbled up the arbiter too.

Rincewind
03-09-2005, 08:24 PM
There was one where i was playing in a huge tournament..... In Mt Buller! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, like that will happen. :)

Garvinator
03-09-2005, 08:52 PM

did you get any cd's :P

Bereaved
04-09-2005, 12:16 AM
Very good one and all,
take care and God Bless, Macavity

antichrist
04-09-2005, 09:41 AM

Your dream has come true - I just voted for A/C being barred from having polls - beat that.

Lucena
06-09-2005, 01:05 PM
This isn't my dream but I thought some might find it interesting:

http://www.worldchessnetwork.com/English/chessNews/evans/031110.php

Kevin Bonham
16-06-2006, 08:29 PM
Last night I dreamt that I was playing in a small but very strong 7-round swiss somewhere on the Australian mainland and, having fluked my way to an undeserved 4/6, I was drawn to play white against tournament leader David Smerdon (6/6) in the final round.

I sat down at the table and reached out to shake hands and then noticed that David had already moved a black pawn to a6. After a moment of confusion I somehow understood this to mean 1...a6 against anything. I thought for a moment and played 1.e4. He pointed at his a-pawn and pressed the clock. I played 2.d4. David picked up his b-pawn. I thought "aha he is going to play the Polish and smash me with it to punish me for rubbishing the Polish on the bulletin board". But no, he played ...b6. I felt relieved. The game continued and after several moves, all of his banged out instantly although his clock showed he had used 25 minutes, he had a great pawn centre, his first two moves notwithstanding. He was harassing my king with minor pieces that kept threatening to checkmate me [this is a blatant lift from me threatening the same against Dowden in the Tas Blitz champs I think]. He had castled kingside and fianchettoed his king's bishop and I suddenly noted with delight that I could play Qxh7+ - it was protected by my knight on g5. My delight faded when I noticed that his king would simply move and all I would do was harmlessly win a pawn that would not solve my problems, since his bishop covered h8 and if I sacrificed my queen there (it was protected by a rook as well as the knight) he would get g7 and then f6 as holes for his king. I studied the position for several minutes in dismay trying to find a more effective attack, failed, and woke up.

ElevatorEscapee
16-06-2006, 08:39 PM
I've had a couple of chess dreams myself, but the position of the board often ends up in confusion and I wake up in frustration. (This maybe me more of a reflection of my lack of talent than anything else! :lol: )

qpawn
17-06-2006, 12:35 PM
Actually, if you get the Chernev book "The chess companion" there is a fantastic piece of fiction called "Professor Pownall's oversight".

It's about two chess rivals who are competing to qualify for a master tournamnet. One of the rivals murders the other one. But then the ghost of the other player keeps appearing at the chessboard and making killer moves. Even in his dreams the murderer is accosted by his murdered rival. Ultimately, the murderer vows to never play chess again and hopes that his games never appear in his dreams :D

But to answer the question, yes I have had dreams of chess games and positions a few times. I tend to getpositions rather than opponents. I see my hand reaching for the chessboard and moving pieces.

Kevin Bonham
07-12-2006, 02:46 PM
On Tuesday I was running way ahead of schedule in my work and for a while it looked like I might be back in Hobart in time to watch the final Kramnik-Deep Fritz game.

As it turned out this didn't materialise because there proved to be no plane from Wynyard to Hobart that day (Tassie intrastate transport is an absolute disgrace) and I missed the game, but I had been looking forward to hopefully getting back in time to see it.

That night as Kramnik was losing to Deep Fritz I dreamt that because Kramnik was unable to win the match, he had agreed to be replaced by Kasparov for the final game to increase interest in the final game (which was otherwise a dead rubber). In the game Kasparov was white.

Kasparov built up pressure on the computer with a series of apparently meaningless moves. The computer started playing complete nonsense (eg at one point it had a blocked pawn on b5 and played Ba6 shutting its bishop out of play for no reason.) Kasparov was clearly better and probably winning but suddenly misjudged a relatively simple (but not completely straightforward) series of exchanges. The computer won a pawn and went on to win the game in another ten moves or so.

Kevin Bonham
21-12-2006, 07:26 PM
Last night I dreamt that I was trying to win a game with K+Q+R vs K+R+N+B+P. I've tried to reconstruct the position but it has turned out to be logically impossible as, among other things, it requires nine squares on the opposing second rank. I had explored a line with a rook check followed by an exchange sac leading to winning the other piece with checks but didn't want to leave my opponent with KR. I had another line where I played a queen check then a different rook check driving the opposing king away from the rook and winning it, and was analysing that when I woke up.

I also dreamt that I had a game where my flag fell (analog clock) after my opponent played an illegal move (think we may have discussed this on a thread) and my opponent and I claimed the illegal move and the flagfall simultaneously. We were calling the arbiter over to sort out the mess when I noticed that even though my flag had only just fallen, it was showing three minutes past flagfall, so getting two minutes back wouldn't help me. Therefore I accepted my defeat.

antichrist
21-12-2006, 07:29 PM
If you really dreamt that you really do need help. Gee for an oldie my dream-imagination is still very "youthful".

Kevin Bonham
23-06-2007, 03:00 PM
What's worse than dreaming you have beaten a strong player convincingly only to wake up and find it was a dream? Not being able to reconstruct the game, of course! :P

Last night I dreamt that I was playing (one of Tasmania's strongest players) in round one of a seven round swiss (go figure!) However the game was both a game and a bus trip through some hills above what later proved to be Adelaide. Thus, while the chess game was some kind of peculiar Caro-Kann where Black fiddles around a lot with knights and both sides essentially lose a move compared to some other line, the bus was going up over the skyline somewhere around move 5, causing me to say "I like this line, it's fun", when this feeling was actually more likely prompted by the bus ride.

At a certain point the road on the skyline had a vertical jump on it, causing the bus to shoot up high in the air. Precisely why the bus did not crash at this point I am not sure, but in any case when it landed I got off (somewhere around move 9) and considered my next move. It was somewhat difficult to orient - which way was the board facing? what was the board? would my opponent play 10.Na3 or 10.Nc3 next? (Na3 was a dusty bit of weed-infested dirt perched above a railway track wile Nc3 was somewhere in the parking lot of the supermarket across the road).

"Naaah" I thought "I don't need to look up Na3 in NCO, he's not a Na3 sorta guy" (never mind that I was supposed to be White). I had to look to the ocean to work out where south was, and hence work out which way the board was turned around, and then I confidently played Nc3 (which consisted, of course, of crossing the road).

I remember no more of the "game" except that I won a convincing and brilliant victory that was much admired by other players. I went outside for a walk ...

... and wandered off into the forest. When I looked at my watch it was 6:08pm. I had forgotten about the tournament and forfeited round two already, perhaps I'd make it back in time for round three? It wasn't clear. I wondered if the DOP would throw me out of the tournament then I remembered that I was the DOP. Then I woke up.

Later I fell asleep a few times and each time I had slightly worse recurring versions of the same forgetting-to-make-the-next-round thing. In the final one I turned up for round 4 the next morning, wondering if they would let me in so I could maybe score 5/7 and win some $$$. My opponent was sitting there showing people how I had beaten him, as if no time had passed and I had never been away.

Kevin Bonham
01-05-2008, 05:52 PM
Apparent cheating by opponents is a very common feature of chess-related dreams that I have.

Last night I dreamt that I was again playing in the Australian Championship, but for some reason I had to play two games at once, and while my game against some unidentified very strong junior was proceding very nicely, I had lost half an hour on my clock in my white game against IM (name suppressed as I'm sure this person doesn't really cheat) without making a single move.

I was concerned that IM Anon would play the Pirc against me, and found this tedious because I wouldn't want to lose to it, even to an IM. So I decided I would play 1.Nf3 against IM Anon, and after 1...Nf6 2.g3 I returned to my game against the junior.

After a few more moves in that game I decided my position was very strong and the junior had plenty to chew on, and returned to my game against the IM.

I discovered that it was suddenly move six or seven. Both sides had fianchettoed their king's bishop, brought the other knight out and castled king-side. But what was peculiar was that IM Anon had also played ...Re8, which seemed to suggest he was a tempo ahead, which didn't make any sense. Looking at the board I could not see any reason for it, until I discovered that my queen was on f2 and my knight was on h1.

I got into an argument with IM Anon about how this happened and he insisted that I had mistakenly picked my king's knight up when I meant to move my bishop, and moved it there on move three.

This being a dream, it did not even occur to me that h1 would have been occupied by a rook or that Nf3-h1 would be illegal anyway. I decided to complain to the arbiter and insist that either IM Anon or a spectator had been moving my pieces while I was playing the other game.

Garrett
01-05-2008, 06:45 PM
interesting post Kevin.

It's interesting how things like Nf3-h1 seem perfectly rational in dreams.

Adamski
02-05-2008, 12:20 AM
What's worse than dreaming you have beaten a strong player convincingly only to wake up and find it was a dream? Not being able to reconstruct the game, of course! :P

Last night I dreamt that I was playing (one of Tasmania's strongest players) in round one of a seven round swiss (go figure!) However the game was both a game and a bus trip through some hills above what later proved to be Adelaide. Thus, while the chess game was some kind of peculiar Caro-Kann where Black fiddles around a lot with knights and both sides essentially lose a move compared to some other line, the bus was going up over the skyline somewhere around move 5, causing me to say "I like this line, it's fun", when this feeling was actually more likely prompted by the bus ride.

At a certain point the road on the skyline had a vertical jump on it, causing the bus to shoot up high in the air. Precisely why the bus did not crash at this point I am not sure, but in any case when it landed I got off (somewhere around move 9) and considered my next move. It was somewhat difficult to orient - which way was the board facing? what was the board? would my opponent play 10.Na3 or 10.Nc3 next? (Na3 was a dusty bit of weed-infested dirt perched above a railway track wile Nc3 was somewhere in the parking lot of the supermarket across the road).

"Naaah" I thought "I don't need to look up Na3 in NCO, he's not a Na3 sorta guy" (never mind that I was supposed to be White). I had to look to the ocean to work out where south was, and hence work out which way the board was turned around, and then I confidently played Nc3 (which consisted, of course, of crossing the road).

I remember no more of the "game" except that I won a convincing and brilliant victory that was much admired by other players. I went outside for a walk ...

... and wandered off into the forest. When I looked at my watch it was 6:08pm. I had forgotten about the tournament and forfeited round two already, perhaps I'd make it back in time for round three? It wasn't clear. I wondered if the DOP would throw me out of the tournament then I remembered that I was the DOP. Then I woke up.

Later I fell asleep a few times and each time I had slightly worse recurring versions of the same forgetting-to-make-the-next-round thing. In the final one I turned up for round 4 the next morning, wondering if they would let me in so I could maybe score 5/7 and win some $$$. My opponent was sitting there showing people how I had beaten him, as if no time had passed and I had never been away.What a classic, Kevin. :lol: My dreams are far more prosaic. Occasionally involve chess-players, but none that I recall actually have chess games in them. But I read that we forget 90+ % of our dreams...

eclectic
13-05-2008, 06:37 PM
from tonight's forthcoming federal budget speech:

... accordingly, the federal government will henceforth recognise chess as an elite mind sport thus entitling its peak body, the australian chess federation, to funding in the vicinity of one hundred million dollars per annum ...

eclectic
24-06-2008, 08:30 PM
i'm going to dream that this board gets a new vbulletin upgrade overnight which results most unexpectedly in causing those who have not posted or shouted here in quite some time to be unable to pm email or access the coffee lounge :D

Kevin Bonham
22-08-2009, 03:38 PM
Last night I dreamt that I was playing Peter Garrett (as distinct from our Garrett!) in a serious tournament game. The game had the same time controls as the FIDE Grand Prix meaning that there was a time control at move 40. It was move 35 in a queen and pawns ending in which I was white and a pawn up. Garrett made a surprising move and pressed my clock.

I realised that Garrett's move was threatening a series of queen checks that would force a draw. I could start a series of queen checks myself but they would win a pawn and then run out, and he would force a draw.

As I analysed, my clock ticked down. Garrett's fans, a bunch of Green Party members (this should surely have alerted me to the fact that I was dreaming) tried to distract me by feeding me small trays of roasted nuts. I simply grabbed the nuts and ate them and continued to analyse.

With just under three minutes on my clock I realised that playing h3 (which I thought of as h6 although I was white) would leave Garrett without an effective perpetual check threat and leave me free to play the queen check next move. I played the move and pressed my clock. Garrett sat there for ages analysing the position and lost on time minutes later without playing another move.

Basil
22-08-2009, 06:18 PM
I played the move and pressed my clock. Garrett sat there for ages analysing the position and lost on time minutes later without playing another move.
As I've said, the Libs are tossed for being hated - Labor tossed for being incompetent!

Saragossa
23-08-2009, 05:56 PM
This is possibly the most epic thread in ages! I often have in tournament/in game day dreams where I either win awesomely or lose pathetically...my version of analysis. But as far as dreams go I think I've had them but not anything specific enough to remember mostly just around the tournament I'm actually playing.

The roasted nuts distraction made me laugh.

Miranda
23-08-2009, 05:58 PM
I had a dream a few nights ago that I was playing Hou Yifan at Box Hill Chess Club, in a major tournament. Many of the spectators were players who I've played and they've stuck in my memory for some reason (usually because they made a huge blunder, were annoying during the game or completely and uttely smashed me to pieces). I ended up winning the game by playing the Sicilian, and doing a K R v K mate. As I stood up to go report the result, I caught sight of my reflection in a window nearby and realised I was dressed as Darth Vader.

pappubahry
23-08-2009, 08:04 PM
I agree with Saragossa. Kevin, these stories are hilarious!

The game was being played on an unusually large board and I was having trouble focussing on the position. I kept transferring it to a smaller board to analyse it (nobody seemed to object to this) but when I did so the position kept changing

This is interesting, and is similar to a common phenomenon involving clocks in dreams. Namely, that if you look at a clock, look away, then look back at the clock, the time has usually changed.

ER
26-08-2009, 08:35 AM
... I caught sight of my reflection in a window nearby and realised I was dressed as Darth Vader.
Do you mean complete with the light stick???:doh: :hmm: :cool:

Kevin Bonham
07-11-2010, 02:11 PM
Last night I dreamt I was playing a tournament game with Black against former Australian Foreign Minister, Alexander Downer. I was in some trouble in this game when I suddenly spied a neat line that would liquidate into a rook and two pawns vs rook and two pawns ending (doubtless inspired by this thread (http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=12559)). I was pleased about this as it was well known on the tournament circuit that Downer wasn't very good at endgames.

I promptly bashed out the moves in this line only to find that Downer had cheated somewhere along the line by playing Pg2-g3 when it was not his move. The point of this cheating was that when I played a particular rook check, Downer could respond Kg2 followed by Kf3, saving his e-pawn which would otherwise have dropped to a rook move (his rook could not reach any square protecting it.) This meant that Downer would emerge with rook and three pawns against rook and two, unless I could prove he had cheated. Unfortunately I was low on time and had not been scoring for many moves.

Capablanca-Fan
07-11-2010, 02:48 PM
I once dreamed of playing chess with Obamov, who turned out to be a fair match.

antichrist
07-11-2010, 06:42 PM
Last night I dreamt I was playing a tournament game with Black against former Australian Foreign Minister, Alexander Downer. I was in some trouble in this game when I suddenly spied a neat line that would liquidate into a rook and two pawns vs rook and two pawns ending (doubtless inspired by this thread (http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=12559)). I was pleased about this as it was well known on the tournament circuit that Downer wasn't very good at endgames.

I promptly bashed out the moves in this line only to find that Downer had cheated somewhere along the line by playing Pg2-g3 when it was not his move. The point of this cheating was that when I played a particular rook check, Downer could respond Kg2 followed by Kf3, saving his e-pawn which would otherwise have dropped to a rook move (his rook could not reach any square protecting it.) This meant that Downer would emerge with rook and three pawns against rook and two, unless I could prove he had cheated. Unfortunately I was low on time and had not been scoring for many moves.

I have never heard of Downer being a chessplayer - but he is known for dressing like a queen, no joking, in fishnet stockings etc

ChoiSeulKi
07-12-2010, 04:10 PM

I dream about chess, ALOT! Even though I only started playing about a week ago. almost every night I have had a dream about beating my opponent. In one of my dreams, my rating was 2500 and I lost against a 1500, but in the other ones my rating was very low... around 500, and I somehow managed to beat the higher up ratings. (100, 1250, 1600, all the way up to 2000) But, my rating would never change from 500 when I beat someone, which really frustrated me... I would usually have several matches in my dream - all repetitive... I think chess is kinda taking over me, too... I can't stop day dreaming about it when I am awake, too... Which distracts me from things...
:wall:

ChoiSeulKi
07-12-2010, 04:32 PM
according to a book, this is what your conscience is trying to tell you:
"
To dream of playing chess denotes the need for careful thought in a business or financial matter.
Losing chess indicates confusion, lack in direction, and unable to make clear decisions. Slow down and don't act until you get your bearings right. Pay attention to anyone who comes along and offers assistance. It may help you get back on track.
Winning at chess indicates future success. You will soon invest in something that will complete your whole life. A white light surrounds your soul, and it has been there the whole time. You may have never seen it because you haven't been looking hard enough. It has found you, and you will be rewarded. "

NICE, KEVIN!!

littlesprout85
07-12-2010, 07:15 PM
could it happen,

Could sproutys dream last nite when ems fell asleep at the keyboard come true. Could in the not to distant future show up here at chesschats and find Axioms & eclectics back in good outstanding order here at chesschats. :eh:

-Sprout85 =)

ChoiSeulKi
08-12-2010, 07:35 PM
Sprout:
What dream did you have at the keyboard, exactly?

Kevin Bonham
08-12-2010, 07:53 PM
Could sproutys dream last nite when ems fell asleep at the keyboard come true. Could in the not to distant future show up here at chesschats and find Axioms & eclectics back in good outstanding order here at chesschats. :eh:

In view of his past offences including using other people's accounts while banned, Axiom won't be back here while he remains anonymous.

eclectic hasn't posted for a year and a half but is still online now and then, including last week.

Tony Dowden
10-12-2010, 03:12 PM
I once dreamed of playing chess with Obamov, who turned out to be a fair match.

He over-extended on the queenside so you countered by tripling on the h-file - right? ;)

Kevin Bonham
11-12-2010, 01:28 PM
Lest people fear for my sanity, I should say that I don't often have dreams about chess forums. But last night I dreamt that the owner of the other place wanted some information from me. "Well Alex" I said "if you want that you're just going to have to pay the price. Firstly you must stop lying, and secondly you must give me a permanent admin account on your forum so I can remove all the defamation from it."

Alex responded by saying he would have to consult his lawyers to find out if there was really defamation on his forum, and would charge the costs of doing so to me. I told him this was not acceptable but he persisted. Fortunately for me it now transpired that the site of this discussion was a house I used to live in. I told Alex's lawyers, all six of them, that they would have to leave. They refused. I went outside and it just happened that a few Tasmania Police cars were passing. I had a quick word to them and all Alex's lawyers were arrested for trespass and led away. I told them they may as well arrest Alex too while they were there, and after a very brief summary from me of what he was like, Alex was also arrested. :lol:

Adamski
11-12-2010, 04:03 PM

Later I fell asleep a few times and each time I had slightly worse recurring versions of the same forgetting-to-make-the-next-round thing. In the final one I turned up for round 4 the next morning, wondering if they would let me in so I could maybe score 5/7 and win some $$$. My opponent was sitting there showing people how I had beaten him, as if no time had passed and I had never been away.
This piece deserves to be re-quoted as it is definitely LOL material and maybe even a "classic" post! Good one KB!

littlesprout85
11-12-2010, 06:29 PM
Hmmmm,

Looking like KB's is stressing and ems is working out problems in his sleep. Luv how ems gains control of the dream and sends da taz's after ems-nice twist ;)

-Sprout85 =)

Metro
19-12-2010, 11:04 PM
At the interval of a tournament Axiom entered through a side door.It appeared he wanted to be inconspicuous.

littlesprout85
21-12-2010, 05:30 PM
Hmmmm :hmm:

Now that sprouty has had another look at this thread recently. It is all starting to all fall into place.

Sprouty was thinking ems was asleep at the keyboard again in here cause meh saw eclectics onlines also.:hmm:

Its Also looking like there might be a lil hope in the case of meh buddy Axioms. If ems quit's trying to create hydras & starts behaving on da down-low for a while. Keeping it mouse-like(squeeky) Ems might finally be able to jam with sprouty here at chesschats Like back in da days of Ole ;) ;)

But like yea, dream are amazing cause sproutys lil dream might actually come true like so many often do :uhoh:

-Sprout85 =)

Kevin Bonham
21-12-2010, 05:58 PM
Its Also looking like there might be a lil hope in the case of meh buddy Axioms. If ems quit's trying to create hydras & starts behaving on da down-low for a while.

He also has to tell us who he is - at least as far as I'm concerned.

antichrist
25-12-2010, 10:34 AM
He also has to tell us who he is - at least as far as I'm concerned.

there is lengthy article in SMH 21 st december about psychiatriac or psychological make up of conspiracacy theorists. One I know personally it fits him pretty well. A study was done years ago.
Now we just see who fits the profile. It is page 13, titled "conspiracy fears at fever pitch"

Kevin Bonham
21-01-2011, 11:11 AM
Last night I dreamt I was playing in a strong 7-round weekender somewhere on the Australian north island. After drawing a long game in round 6 I was on a respectable 4/6 and a win would take me to a very good 5/7 which in this field would be good for a prize.

However, during round 7 I had fallen asleep at a vacant board inside the playing area and been asleep for quite a while. This was not a critical problem as the time control was a long one so there was plenty of time. I remembered my round 7 position before I had fallen asleep as a complex middlegame with lots of pieces still on the board, but when I scanned around the room I could see neither the position nor my opponent. I also couldn't remember what board I was on. Checking the draw on the wall took a few minutes but eventually I figured out that I was black on board nine. I went to board nine and discovered that all the pieces had been removed and the board had a piece of paper on it which said, in red texta, "1-0".

It turned out that one hour and three minutes had elapsed since the scheduled start of the round and that as the old one hour forfeit rule was in place for the tournament, my opponent had diabolically claimed a win on forfeit because although everyone could see I was in the room and asleep, I had never arrived at the board. I was going to query whether the session had started on time and hence whether I might be under the hour limit anyway but my watch shifted making it more like an hour and thirty minutes since the start.

I remonstrated with my opponent and suggested that he should have woken me up. I told him this was what I would have done and that under no circumstances would I have claimed a win in such a case myself unless I was playing (in which case I would have claimed a win and jumped around the room in amusement). But my opponent was unmoved and said that the incident would only fire me up for our future games and make them more interesting. I then told him that in future I would no longer cut him any slack when he arrived at the board late; every time I would start his clock exactly on the dot. He looked slightly worried about this but still would not withdraw his forfeit claim. I resigned myself to the loss of the game, especially as it wouldn't be rated.

(Background: I believe this dream was triggered by my recent re-visit to [i]norths at Cammeray. About a decade earlier I had in fact played in a weekender there where I was also on 4/6 before losing in the final round to Charles Zworestine in a game where I had been exchange up but then made a string of small mistakes. In this dream Charles naturally recurred in his more familiar position of arbiter.)

littlesprout85
11-02-2011, 12:26 AM
Hmmmmm,

Perhaps sprouty can shed a lil insight on KB's latest dream. KB's whole dream is based apon falling asleep while in da mist of a tourney. Thus sprout feels that KB's hasnt been getting enough sleep lately. This isnt good at all, because Lake of sleep is unhealthy, and will cause ur game to slip. Always dedicate enough time for a whole 7 hours of sleep. 6 hours isnt enough & 8 hours is way to much.

Work on getting enough sleep all at one time, ur body needs this time to rebuild itself. Also the brain needs the shutdown time.People work out problems in their dreams & when u awake- ahhh Ready to take on da world :cool:

-Sprout85 =)

Kevin Bonham
11-02-2011, 09:25 AM
Thus sprout feels that KB's hasnt been getting enough sleep lately.

Nah, I'm generally fine on that score.

Kevin Bonham
29-03-2012, 12:01 PM
Terrible, terrible. I dreamt that a newly arrived CC member scored slightly over 60,000 (not 6,000 !) on Snake and took my high score away. :(

ElevatorEscapee
29-03-2012, 08:16 PM
I often have weird dreams where I am playing a chess game, and winning, against a local opponent... and then I am interupted and must see to a dispute on another board, then another, then another... and by the time I get back to my original board... there is nothing left to adjudicate, and my opponent overwhelms me.

This dream is occasionally made even worse by me rushing from chess board to chess board, whilst not actually playing in the tournament. and scrabbling to find chess pieces and boards to satisfy all the players! :eek:

Rincewind
31-03-2012, 12:26 PM
I had a very rare chess-related element in a dream last night or today.

There was no chess game going on but I was in the first and there were these animals which were basically like a donkey's head on a pole that got around by hopping.

george
31-03-2012, 09:41 PM
Rincewind.

The previous night had you been experimenting with various potions as per your namesake?

Rincewind
31-03-2012, 10:38 PM
Rincewind.

The previous night had you been experimenting with various potions as per your namesake?

No but I'm suffering jet lag and can't remember if that dream was from a nighttime or afternoon nap in origin.

Kevin Bonham
19-04-2012, 02:53 PM
David Smerdon has a fine contribution to this genre, in which he plays an amalgam of Akopian, Georgiev and Gashimov, here:

www.davidsmerdon.com/?p=769

Kevin Bonham
13-12-2012, 05:09 PM
This from this week's Sunday Tasmanian "Body and Soul" section, one of quite a few columns in said section that would be better classified as BS than as B+S:

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/therealsleepycat/Image55.jpg

MichaelBaron
14-12-2012, 01:47 AM
hillarious!!!

Kevin Bonham
26-01-2013, 10:11 PM
I dreamt that as a publicity stunt, ChessGuru had purchased an entire Tasmanian town and renamed it: Tornelo, population 400. It was at the end of a dead-end road on the Tasman Peninsula somewhere.

Adamski
28-01-2013, 12:21 AM
I dreamt that as a publicity stunt, ChessGuru had purchased an entire Tasmanian town and renamed it: Tornelo, population 400. It was at the end of a dead-end road on the Tasman Peninsula somewhere.Also hilarious!

Watto
08-04-2013, 10:49 AM
I had a rather feverish, chess-related dream last night. Archbishop Desmond Tutu had come up with some amazing training puzzles (superior to anything which has come before although beyond that I have no details now). I thought it was urgent that I let Frank Lekkas know (for his Zonal training) and also Ian Birchall (as coach of the Croydon juniors). Kept going round and round in my head.

Ian CCC
08-04-2013, 07:12 PM
I had a rather feverish, chess-related dream last night. Archbishop Desmond Tutu had come up with some amazing training puzzles (superior to anything which has come before although beyond that I have no details now). I thought it was urgent that I let Frank Lekkas know (for his Zonal training) and also Ian Birchall (as coach of the Croydon juniors). Kept going round and round in my head.

Next time, take a peek over his shoulder and report back, however they'd have to be good to beat the ones I already get from Nelson.

Kevin Bonham
10-10-2013, 07:12 PM
In a typical example of a dream mixing up different interests of mine (in this case chess and politics) I dreamt that I had lost a once-off rated game against Anthony Albanese. Albo had played very well in the game with strong heavy piece play down the c-file but I was rueful about losing to him given that his rating was only about 1580.

Capablanca-Fan
10-04-2014, 02:57 AM
A few nights ago, I dreamed that I played Carlsen at Blitz. I asked him to give me a handicap of taking 1 minute to my 5, but that was too little time for him to win. Then he wanted to have 2 minutes to 5, but that was too much time for me to have a chance.

Adamski
11-04-2014, 02:13 PM
LOL to both the last 2 dreams. Capa Fan should have given Carlsen 1.5 minutes then it would have been anyone's game.

Desmond
06-05-2014, 02:26 PM
I had a dream I was playing in a tournament game, it was the opening maybe 6-7 moves or so had been played. I am black and my position is passive-ish but not too bad. I go away from the board for a while and when I come back realize that I am actually in a bit of trouble. I make another move or 2 and suddenly I realize his pieces have sprung to life and that I am close to lost. It is quite unbelievable because I have just been developing normally. Then I notice that my rook is on g8 instead of h8. My opponent is not at the board, and figuring I had nudged it accidentally I just push the rook back to h8 as I consider my move. As I wallow in misery wondering where it all went so wrong I glance over at my scoresheet. I notice that prior to the couple of moves I just made at the board, I see Rg8 written there. And a few other moves before that Rg8-f8-h8 etc. I'm lost because he has made several moves more than me! The rook moves are not written in my handwriting!

I wake up before he comes back to the board.

Patrick Byrom
06-05-2014, 06:32 PM
I had a dream I was playing in a tournament game, it was the opening maybe 6-7 moves or so had been played. I am black and my position is passive-ish but not too bad. I go away from the board for a while and when I come back realize that I am actually in a bit of trouble. I make another move or 2 and suddenly I realize his pieces have sprung to life and that I am close to lost. It is quite unbelievable because I have just been developing normally. Then I notice that my rook is on g8 instead of h8. My opponent is not at the board, and figuring I had nudged it accidentally I just push the rook back to h8 as I consider my move. As I wallow in misery wondering where it all went so wrong I glance over at my scoresheet. I notice that prior to the couple of moves I just made at the board, I see Rg8 written there. And a few other moves before that Rg8-f8-h8 etc. I'm lost because he has made several moves more than me! The rook moves are not written in my handwriting! I wake up before he comes back to the board.
Perhaps your subconscious was remembering this game (http://chessimprover.com/what-if-your-opponent-just-gives-you-twelve-free-moves/):

But I just saw an astounding game fragment in the January 2014 issue of Chess Life, in the column by GM Andy Soltis. He gave a position in the game between GM Ulf Andersson and IM Michael Basman in Hastings, 1974-75, in which after many moves, Basman (Black) had his pieces exactly where they were at the beginning of the sequence. And Soltis indicated that Basman won this game, without adding more details.

Upon seeing this game fragment, of course I had to see the rest of the game, so I looked it up. It turned out that Black's pieces after his move 23 were exactly where they were after his move 11!!

Redmond Barry
02-11-2014, 03:41 AM
I had a dream 2 nights ago that I was in a pool hall with Vlamdimir Kramnik in the middle of a game of snooker when he proceeds to remove an economics textbook and begins reading.
I ask him why he is reading the book and he replies "It is best not allowing information you acquire be constantly ..".
I then reply "eroded".
He agrees with this reply and goes back to the textbook.

End of dream.

Kevin Bonham
02-11-2014, 12:38 PM
^^^
Good one.

Last night I dreamt I was playing in a game-a-day tournament where I was drawn to play Tristan Stevens, whose rating had increased slightly to 2162, in the next round. However in the leadup to this game I became obsessed with being unable to find the scoresheet of my previous day's game, which I had won against a fairly low-rated Indian-Australian junior in about 70 moves. Continually searching my pockets I found numerous scoresheets (including in pockets I had already searched) but never the game in question, and as a result I did absolutely no preparation for the upcoming game. This was slightly concerning as I had no idea what my opponent played but I rationalised it with the fact that opponents always avoid my preparation anyway so it might be better to be fresh of that pointless effort anyway.

Eventually I reached the playing venue to find that I had not forfeited on time as I had feared, but that despite this my game had already started, I wasn't playing Stevens but rather another Indian-Australian junior, and the game was no longer chess as such. Rather it was played on a very large chess board with many more pieces than normal and with some of the pieces (especially around my opponent's king) perched on little hills that seemed to give them greater protection somehow. Taking a quick appraisal of the board I concluded I was easily winning, and reached out to take the opponent's bishop with my queen, only to discover as I picked up the bishop that it was protected by a knight and I was bound by touchtake to take the bishop and lose my queen. Fortunately I still had another queen but from this point the game was quite difficult as my opponent had more pieces. I don't remember any more of this dream; I may have woken up soon after.

Kevin Bonham
10-12-2014, 08:48 PM
Moderation Notice

For apparent off-topic posting and an evasive response to a moderation question, antichrist is banned from this thread for 666 days.

Kevin Bonham
19-01-2015, 10:03 PM
Last night I dreamt, recurringly, that I went to a chess tournament in Burnie and was told there that I had won an earlier tournament there, a rapid, with 8/8. I could not remember playing in this rapid, and when I was told about the dates of it I explained that I'd been playing in another tournament at the same time in Hobart. I said that this sort of thing happened sometimes: I was actually able to play two tournaments in different cities at the same time, but whenever I did it I was only able to remember one of them. Then the Burnie organisers wanted me to replay a game from the rapid tournament, saying that one of my games had not been played because it had been adjourned so somebody could have a meeting about the rules. I said that it was unfair to expect me to replay a game that I couldn't remember not playing.

In another dream I was involved in a toy car (small diecast Matchboxy thing) racing competition with a person I had gone to school with. Someone asked which of us was better at racing diecast cars and I said that the classmate probably was. The classmate (a weak chess player) agreed with this and proceeded to demonstrate his superiority by replaying a chess game in which he claimed he had beaten me, in which I had sacrificed two pieces on the kingside with the attack proving total rubbish. However I then played on from that position and was able to beat him in the endgame with one piece against three because he could not stop my passed g-pawn.

Kevin Bonham
02-07-2015, 10:26 PM
In a dream the night before last I was supposedly a titled player (strong FM level) and was playing a super-GM (say, top 20-ish) on top board of a large tournament. I was probably beating the super-GM in the game but an odd complication was that during the game small shopping-docket like pieces of paper with commentary on my game kept appearing on the table in front of me. I continued reading these although I was well aware that I was making use of a source of information and therefore breaking the Laws of Chess; I couldn't help it when they just kept appearing right in front of me.

At a certain point there was a liquidating line leading to a pawn ending a pawn up for me and I went into it, but no sooner had I done so than I started feeling like I had been lazy, and a new piece of paper appeared analysing my opponent's "Brilliant win", which consisted of his king going crazy and taking lots of my pawns.

A position approximately the following was reached:

8/2pp1k1P/1p3p2/p6p/P7/1PK5/8/8 w - - 0 1

Black has just played ...Ke6-f7

I sank into deep desperation as I "realised" that I needed to play Ke3 to get within the square of my opponent's h-pawn. Then my opponent would play ...Kg7, take my h-pawn and I would be lost. I scanned the board but could see nothing better; I had blown it.

As I woke up from the dream I realised ...

Rincewind
02-07-2015, 11:06 PM
A humorous finish would be playing h8=N (or B)

Kevin Bonham
04-10-2016, 09:46 AM
As a slight change from the numerous stupid dreams about airports that I have had in recent weeks, this morning I dreamt that I was playing in a weekender with a fairly tight schedule, and doing well after five out of nine rounds I was paired against one J. Morris. Whatever the opening was I found my queen being kicked around the place and there was some crazy stuff with things en prise. My queen was attacked so I went to play Qxf3 (his pawn had taken my knight there earlier) equalising material and expecting him to swap queens, after which I would have a solid position despite my space disadvantage. James said something alone the lines of "are you sure you want to do that?" With horror I saw the point which was that his queen on f4 (except in the dream it was two squares away from f3) had also been en prise to my undeveloped bishop on c1, but because I had not accepted the fancy queen swap he had somehow offered, he would instead play Qxc1# as soon as I completed my move. Which of course I was compelled to to by the touchtake rule. So I resigned feeling that some consolation for my shortest loss ever (six moves) would be that I would get a few hours off and that it had come against someone who would almost certainly have beaten me anyway. I decided I would post the game on the "shockers" thread on this site but was then strangely unable to reconstruct it.

ER
04-10-2016, 10:51 AM
My worst sequential dream is playing simultaneous blindfold and trying to visualize various positions.

BTW is this a "chess dreams only" thread?

Kevin Bonham
04-10-2016, 04:52 PM
My worst sequential dream is playing simultaneous blindfold and trying to visualize various positions.

BTW is this a "chess dreams only" thread?

Primarily. A degree of thread drift is OK now and then and the odd general post is fine (see the early posts) but if someone used it as a personal non-chess dream journal I would split it.

Kevin Bonham
07-03-2017, 11:00 PM
I dreamt that I was playing in the Tasmanian Championships (1) but for some reason the tournament was being played outside, in a grassy wooded forest with horses and cows grazing in a paddock nearby. (2) I could see stormy weather coming through with the animals running for shelter and I was not at the board; it was obvious the boards would have to be relocated to somewhere indoors.

I therefore started to walk towards my board to move it but found that there was no direct route to the board; there were various tracks through the bush to it that involved heading away from it for some distance before heading back towards it. I took one of these but found that it went so steeply uphill that I was barely able to walk up the hill as the path became steeper and steeper (3). Worse still the track turned into a dead end amid fenced-off dumps of what appeared to be coal or black gravel.

It occurred to me that perhaps with a series of Tomb Raider (4) - like jumps and somersaults I might be able to get to the top of some buildings in a townscape that had now appeared behind me, and thus head back across the roofs of buildings towards the chessboard. At this point I either became or controlled (it was unclear which) a Lara Croft like character who had such jumping abilities, but was also somewhat bad tempered. For instance upon ending up in an attic full of wine glasses, she opened the windows and threw them down onto the street below one by one so they would smash, for no obvious reason whatsoever.

After quite a while of this I - now back to being my normal self - became concerned that I had wasted at least an hour of the time I needed to get back to the chessboard before I would lose on time. The rest of the dream is blurry but I remember walking around a long circuit road (perhaps this was in Canberra now, there was something with political demonstrations along the way). Finally I approached the area where the chessboards were but I had been walking for three and a half hours. I felt that I must by now have very little time on my clock and would need to move very quickly, if I hadn't already lost on time that is.

-----
(1) Being held this weekend.
(2) Possibly inspired by an early suggestion that the Tas Champs be held at the same vineyard as the Launceston Cup (not really a good idea as not up to serious tournament conditions!)
(3) I think this, and also the rainstorm, derives from listening last night to a Conversations radio interview (http://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/conversations/conversations-john-stanisic/8302910) with fellow snail expert John Stanisic, where he talked about driving up a mountain on a road that became narrower and rougher until he realised that he was in fact driving up a waterfall (presumably not the vertical sort!) that was about to be flooded with rain.
(4) The nearest guess I can get for the inspiration of a video game reference in this dream is that I was playing Snake on this site last night, which I don't do very often anymore, before going to bed.

ER
08-03-2017, 02:53 AM
wow man what a dream! Reminded me of Alejandro Jodorowsky's (of El Topo and The Holly Mountain fame) films; particularly the demonstration scene! Scary stuff and not for the faint hearted.

Kevin Bonham
29-04-2017, 03:20 PM
I dreamt that I was playing against Kasparov in a simul but on move 6 he played Qd1-d5, checkmating my king which was (somehow) on e4.

Adamski
30-04-2017, 02:36 PM
I dreamt that I was playing against Kasparov in a simul but on move 6 he played Qd1-d5, checkmating my king which was (somehow) on e4.
Definitely worth a LOL!

Kevin Bonham
30-04-2017, 02:54 PM
The curious thing here being that six moves happens to be the exact smallest number of moves in which white can play Qd5# with a black king on e4, though those weren't the moves in the dream. For instance

1.e4 f6 2.Qe2 Kf7 3.c4 Ke6 4.g3 Ke5 5.Qh5+ Kxe4 6.Qd5# 1-0

Kevin Bonham
06-05-2017, 08:14 AM
In tonight's effort I was playing some relatively strong young player (but not junior) from Australia's north island. It was a sideline of a French Closed Tarrasch (what else) and on move 8 I was already losing great chunks of time on the clock and appeared to have a lost position. I was cursing myself for being lousy at openings and getting outprepared by everyone all of the time. My opponent had a bishop on h7 and my king was on h8, so it was one of the lines where black declines the Greek bishop. However he also had his queen on h3. I could take the bishop on h7 with my knight on f6, but then his other bishop would take one of my rooks which was for some reason on g5, and I would simply be the exchange down.

I looked and looked but everything other than going the exchange down seemed to get mated by force via Bg6 discovered check then Qh7 etc. I thought I had a check with a bishop on his king that might lead somewhere, or maybe he would just take it ... then while looking at this possibility I noticed he had castled so it wasn't actually check.

Then I noticed that his king was in fact in check from my pawn on h2, and that many pieces had moved or gone off the board, and it was his move. He seemed to be able to swap queens, but he couldn't because he was in check, and after he got out of check either I would promote my pawn or I would have a queen check on the back rank, or a queen swap that would lead to a won endgame anyway, so my opponent resigned.

Being a mean individual I punished him for causing me problems early in the game by saying that I had no conscious memory of moves 8 through 25 and hence no idea how I could have possibly won. He seemed incensed at the notion that I had played that well while asleep. I said well, not asleep as such, but I was so drowsy that as soon as I played the moves I was immediately forgetting them. We reconstructed the game and I had indeed played ...Nxh7 and gone exchange down but my position had quickly become very playable.

ER
02-06-2017, 06:50 PM
phew what a relief!!!
I dreamt of my bed being stolen!
It's there! I mean I was sleeping in it!

Kevin Bonham
19-06-2017, 11:21 PM
I dreamt that I came across a second-hand book stall with a large number of unusual chess books selling at prices mostly around $8.50 a pop. I can't remember all of the titles but there was one rather specialised text called "14.h3 in the Black Lion". There was another one with a red cover with a yellow outlined king on the front and the strange title "Thou Shalt Openings"; every time I was not looking at this book I thought it was written by Bobby Fischer, but when I actually picked it up it was written by Peter Parr. There was also a strange stack of chess papers the bookstall was trying to sell. When I looked through these I discovered they were actually a mix of newsletters and old records of the Sandy Bay Chess Club compiled by John Wilkins (*) and of no commercial value whatsoever. After some argument the bookseller allowed me to sort out all these records into a neat pile and take the useful ones away.

-------------

(*) a lovely chap, alas long deceased, who was an officebearer at the SBCC for many years.

Frank
27-06-2017, 05:50 AM
“Do you dream about chess?”

“Never,” says GM Wesley So at https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/the-new-us-chess-champion-is-now-ranked-no-2-in-the-world-and-opponents-fear-hes-still-getting-better/2017/06/05/640f4c6a-49fd-11e7-a186-60c031eab644_story.html?utm_term=.08b36d875971

Kevin Bonham
28-06-2017, 09:00 AM
“Do you dream about chess?”

“Never,” says GM Wesley So at https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/the-new-us-chess-champion-is-now-ranked-no-2-in-the-world-and-opponents-fear-hes-still-getting-better/2017/06/05/640f4c6a-49fd-11e7-a186-60c031eab644_story.html?utm_term=.08b36d875971

That's amazing. I dream about chess probably more than any other one subject, even though chess is not as important to me as some other things.

Last night I dreamt that I was playing some kind of version of chess where the pieces are a mix of normal chess pieces and small fruit/vegetables. I had a tomato, an olive and a chilli lined up on the back rank against my opponent's king (chilli closest). A chilli is a minor piece but its moves were never clear to me in the dream. An olive moves in a straight line in any direction at any angle (including, say, 30 degrees) but can only take other fruit/vegetables and not chess pieces. A tomato is a rook. My opponent could therefore play king takes chilli, but if he did this I would move my olive to take another chilli, giving discovered check, so a swap. I was thinking about this when my opponent used his king to push all three pieces off the board in one motion and claim this was a legal move. I told him I would have to get the arbiter as imagine if people did this in a normal game. Then I woke up.

Kevin Bonham
23-01-2019, 11:57 PM
In a recent dream I dreamt that I had a 2B vs B endgame and was just congratulating myself on being a piece up when I blundered one of my bishops to the opposing bishop. I instinctively picked up my remaining bishop but realised I could have instead just queened a pawn. Only problem is that if I don't queen the pawn, my opponent can now win the advanced pawn with a bishop check reaching a drawn OCB ending. Fortunately I realise that I can sacrifice my remaining bishop for a pawn with check, allowing the tempo to promote the pawn safely.

That one was at least all chess. In another one last night I swindled an opponent after a tactical exchange that caused me to lose my queen, by checkmating his black king (which was on d4) by playing e3+. A critical element in this swindle was the presence on the board of some non-chess pieces, one of which was a metal straw that took up e4 through to h4 thus preventing Ke4, and another of which was some other dubious item of cutlery that protected the metal straw thus preventing his king from taking it.

Adamski
24-01-2019, 10:04 AM
You have some strange chess dreams, Kev. I have had the occasional chess dream but the positions are all too vague for accurate recall. So you do well to give so many details.

Kevin Bonham
24-01-2019, 10:22 AM
You have some strange chess dreams, Kev. I have had the occasional chess dream but the positions are all too vague for accurate recall. So you do well to give so many details.

I find that I can almost never reconstruct the positions so that they work perfectly in terms of their properties in the dream. When I try to do so there is usually something that "cooks" my analysis of the position.

ElevatorEscapee
24-01-2019, 08:39 PM
My chess dreams seem to be more about organising tournaments, and nothing about the positions.

I dream that I am playing a regular opponent, and have a strong, if not winning, position, when a distraction occurs elsewhere that means I have to sort it out before returning to my board, only to find that the pieces are suddenly all in the wrong places... (Frustration!)

Attempting to go back through both scoresheets to reconstruct the game (or trying to replay the game through my mind) only proves to be an even more frustrating exercise where I just can't hold my concentration... (all the while my clock is running down)... and then another distraction pops up!

Sometimes it's good to wake up!

Patrick Byrom
24-01-2019, 08:58 PM
My chess dreams seem to be more about organising tournaments, and nothing about the positions.

I dream that I am playing a regular opponent, and have a strong, if not winning, position, when a distraction occurs elsewhere that means I have to sort it out before returning to my board, only to find that the pieces are suddenly all in the wrong places... (Frustration!)

Attempting to go back through both scoresheets to reconstruct the game (or trying to replay the game through my mind) only proves to be an even more frustrating exercise where I just can't hold my concentration... (all the while my clock is running down)... and then another distraction pops up!

Sometimes it's good to wake up!I'm glad I'm not the only person who has anxiety dreams about organising chess tournaments - although I'm rarely a player in these dreams!

Kevin Bonham
17-02-2019, 12:15 AM
I think this is my first ever dream about being an arbiter.

In last night's dream I dreamt that I was running a small Swiss tournament which included some rather high-rated young players. The tournament has just overcome some interruptions from external noise when one of these high-rated young players (2200-ish), who has already been playing poorly and losing to lower rated players, starts mucking about. He starts doing things like sneaking pieces from the side of the board back onto the board two at a time and bouncing them up and down on their squares, which is obviously totally illegal and distracting to the opponent.

I warn the young star that if he does this again his tournament score will be deducted half a point. However, after a little while, he starts doing the same thing again but more subtly, bringing pieces up to the edge of the board without quite putting them on it, all in a deliberate attempt to "rules-lawyer" my previous ruling by being as obnoxious as he can without quite triggering it. Eventually I spot him sneaking a piece onto the board and decide he has breached my previous ruling, and step in to tell him that I am penalising him half a point. He says something like "oh, that's all for me then", and walks out of the venue making it clear he is withdrawing from the tournament. I rule that he has forfeited his round 4 game (in which he was dead lost anyway), and then notice that he has also lost rounds 1-3, meaning that he finishes the tournament as a withdrawal with a score of -.5/4.

At the start of the next round a bunch of the young player's friends turn up and berate me and argue that their friend is wonderful and cannot possibly have broken the rules, therefore he didn't and that I was just being mean. I listen to them, torn between lambasting them for spouting trash in defence of a badly behaving player, and the realisation that at some point I will have to fess up: Penalising a player's tournament score is not a penalty available to the arbiter and therefore my decision had been wrong.

Then I wake up.

Adamski
17-02-2019, 08:18 AM
That brought a smile to my lips, Kev. Tomorrow night I am arbiter for a FIDE rated event for the first time.

Capablanca-Fan
30-12-2019, 12:36 PM
An online game played recently featured a line I hadn't played for a long time. When I was in my early teens in Wellington, the leading player of my club was the German-born Bernie Deben, who had recently crushed one of the leading NZ players in what would now be called a rapid tournament:

Bernie Deben vs Kai Jensen (https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1536603)
Dominion Breweries 40-40 Tt (1978), Upper Hutt, NZ, rd 4
1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 a6 4. Ba4 Nf6 5. O-O Be7 6. Re1 b5
7. Bb3 O-O 8. d4 Nxd4 9. Bxf7+ Rxf7 10. Nxe5 Ne6? 11. Nxf7 Kxf7
12. e5 Ne8? 13. Qf3+

But the line isn't really that good for White. Books on the Marshall that were the best thing ~20 years before databases had chapters on anti-Marshall lines like 8.a4 and 8.d4 suggested that Black could play 10... ♖f8 11. ♕xd4 c5 with good compensation. So I studied these lines quite a lot, but I think Deben and I played it only in blitz. And in the recent game, Black had no trouble, and White had to tread carefully:

[Event "www.ChessWorld.net server game"]
[Site "www.ChessWorld.net "]
[Date "2019.12.18 "]
[Round "NA"]
[White "Luther1517"]
[Black "Sarfati_FM"]
[Result "1/2-1/2"]
[WhiteElo "2203"]
[BlackElo "2478"]
[Board "11505299"]

1. e2-e4 e7-e5 2. Ng1-f3 Nb8-c6 3. Bf1-b5 a7-a6 4. Bb5-a4 Ng8-f6 5. O-O Bf8-e7 6. Rf1-e1 b7-b5 7. Ba4-b3 O-O 8. d2-d4 Nc6xd4 9. Bb3xf7 Rf8xf7 10. Nf3xe5 Rf7-f8 11. Qd1xd4 c7-c5 12. Qd4-d1 Bc8-b7 13. Nb1-c3 Qd8-c7 14. Ne5-g4 Ra8-e8 15. g2-g3 Nf6xg4 16. Qd1xg4 Be7-f6 17. Bc1-f4 Qc7-c6 18. Ra1-d1 Bf6xc3 19. bxc3 Re8xe4 20. Re1xe4 Qc6xe4 21. f2-f3 Qe4xf3 22. Qg4xf3 Bb7xf3 1/2-1/2

I guess I was thinking so much about those long-ago teen years that I didn't stop thinking even while asleep. In a dream, I encountered my old friend and rival Deben again at a chess club. He looked older with white hair, but I can't confirm if he looked over 40 years older, and he still played a good game. He is in my parents' generation, and I have no idea if he is even alive.

Kevin Bonham
30-12-2019, 12:52 PM
A few weeks ago I had a dream where Jeremy Corbyn was playing in a World Championship match; needless to say he was not doing particularly well in the game I was watching and seemed about to lose on time. On somehow reaching move 40 he got up, left the closed player's box and immediately started discussing his position with all and sundry.

Max Illingworth
15-07-2020, 12:45 PM
The latest chess dream was quite wild.

(left out earlier parts, which were very intriguing but not chess-related)

It's the last game of the 2021 Carlsen-Nepomniachtchi World Championship Match in New York. I had travelled to the event personally, only to be amazed by what I saw.

The city was in complete chaos. Armed mobs of people all over the city were destroying buildings. The country was approaching civil war and the government was in danger of being overthrown. Before the last game, the players had to move again to an antiquated 1860s salon, which had thus far been ignored by the mobs.

A few brazen chess fans braved the situation and stood right outside the windows of the salon, to get a peek at the final game. I found a vantage point on the top of a building, where I could follow the game on my mobile (the satellites, curiously, had remained untouched by the mobs) and more importantly, have a bird's eye view of the city, to watch for any incoming danger.

I was quite surprised by the opening in the final game, which went 1.e4 c5 2.Nc3 a6 3.Nge2 d6 4.f3 Nf6 5.d4 e6. However, the next moves were stunning, showing that Carlsen had not blocked out the crazy uncertainty outside. He played 6.e5, and then I saw he had played 7.f4, but I didn't see the rest of the game, as I heard gunshots not far away.

I look around, listening for approaching people. Fortunately, the building's empty and derelict, so the mob focused their attention elsewhere.

The mob moved closer and closer to the salon. The spectators, however, were transfixed by the game, and couldn't look away.

Finally, as the mob was just across the road from the salon, I checked the position again. And it was shocking - Carlsen had resigned in 28 moves, from a position that resembled the famous Karpov-Kasparov Linares game in the Samisch King's Indian.

As Nepomniachtchi was crowned the new World Champion, an old model of a Mercedez-Benz arrived at the venue. So old, that it's a manual car - but the driver was ready to pick up Carlsen. Carlsen ran into the car which sped off as the mob shot bullets at the speeding car to try to stop it. The spectators were less fortunate as they were mowed down by the mob.

Looking up from my position, I saw that Carlsen's car was moving in the direction of another mob, and as it moved out of my sight, I hoped that he would escape.

However, when I heard more gunshots in the direction the car went, I checked my phone, hoping it wasn't what I thought.

But it was true - Carlsen had been shot dead by another mob in the city.

What of my family? Are they all right?

I was nervous to leave my safe position at the top of the building, but I knew I couldn't stay here forever.

Seeing that the mobs had dispersed to another location, I hijacked an abandoned car. Thankfully, there was still gas in the tank. I drove to my small retal property in New York, only to find it torched, with 4 bearded men cheering. They were so euphoric about the carnage they were causing, that they didn't even notice me walking around and hiding, trying to get more information.

Once I was clear in a bush, I called my mother, to tell her about the gangs and what happened. I even mentioned the Arthur Gang that had torched my home. My mother told me 'You know the history of this gang, right?', and I shook my head.

She then revealed, 'The Arthur Gang of New York used to be called the Illingworth Gang'.

I laughed at the irony of the situation. The gang had, in its rage, torched the founding home of the Illingworth Gang. I'd bought at a bargain price of $200K, when The Great Depression of the 21st Century happened in late 2020. I didn't overly care, because I had insurance on the property and knew I could restore it.

Then I woke up.

b.nancarrow
15-07-2020, 01:56 PM
The latest chess dream was quite wild.

Who needs movies when you can have dreams like that!

Kevin Bonham
15-07-2020, 06:06 PM
Amazing contribution!

FM_Bill
19-07-2020, 08:33 PM
I sometimes have chess dreams. Sometimes I have trouble getting to the game on time.
Other times I have trouble making out the exact position.
Sometimes the board has too many squares.
Sometimes I can recognise players.
I always dream in colour.

Kevin Bonham
30-07-2020, 12:55 PM
Posts moved

Caissa posts moved to new thread http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?18123-Caissa

Any discussion of this decision may occur in the Help and Feedback section only.

Capablanca-Fan
01-10-2020, 02:55 AM
Last night I dreamed that a colleague was giving the rest of us a lecture, and showing some chess analysis presented by a friend of our organization, somehow using a mobile phone to project on a screen. The moves of the losing side were so crass that they should have been pointed out. I was holding back irritation and waiting for him to give me the phone so I could show what was missed. Then my wife woke me just before my alarm was due.

Totally unrealistic, because I am not aware that this colleague even knows how to play chess, let alone present to an audience including a master.

ER
01-10-2020, 07:05 PM
I dreamed of an ice made multidimensional type of chess board murmuring something like: I am October and I am going to freeze you!
That was in Italian! Woke up scared shitless desperately reaching for the air/condition plug. No need, it was a rather warm night!

Kevin Bonham
04-11-2020, 06:24 PM
Nigel Short
@nigelshortchess
I had a nightmare in which I was playing a tough game of #chess and my opponent suddenly announced "checkmate", without the slightest justification. Unfortunately, 2/3 of the Appeals Committee supported his claim.

Desmond
17-05-2021, 07:59 AM
I had a dream in which I was playing a tournament game. The game was nearly over, I had queened a pawn and had another on the 7th rank. My opponent just had a couple of pawns left and a long way from queening them. My opponent made a move, and it was time to start calculating quickest path to mate. I had about 3 mins left. Any move wins, there are no stalemates. I spent about 30-60+ seconds on this, and then I suddenly realised that my opponent had left his king in check! I stopped the clock, called the arbiter. The arbiter agreed, added some time back to my clock (less than I had spent on the move!), and set up the position from a few moves earlier with me to move. Not the move in which my opponent had made an illegal move, but an earlier position. I couldn't remember what I had played in that position, and the arbiter demanded that if I am to make a claim I must know the moves, and I had to re-play them. I argued on, while my time ran down...