PDA

View Full Version : Women's Olympiad - your selection

chesslover
06-05-2004, 10:27 PM
who do you think will make the women's squad?

My four are Irena, Anastasia, Ingela and laura

Oepty
07-05-2004, 01:52 PM
It is my understanding Giang Nguyen does not qualify so anyone who votes for her is just wating their time. I doubt she could even get in if she tried to get in via the pay to play because I think she is here as an International Student not even a permanent resident. If I am wrong please correct me.
Scott

jenni
07-05-2004, 02:13 PM
It is my understanding Giang Nguyen does not qualify so anyone who votes for her is just wating their time. I doubt she could even get in if she tried to get in via the pay to play because I think she is here as an International Student not even a permanent resident. If I am wrong please correct me.
Scott

This is probably true, as I know she was ineligible for a title in Sydney in Jan 2002. She does appear on the ratings list as "SA" not "foreign", but on the FIDE lists she does not appear for Australia (I checked for the Young Masters).

However I voted for her, as I would like to bet she stays in Australia long term and she is really nice and these polls are kind of pointless anyway....

Garvinator
07-05-2004, 02:35 PM
and these polls are kind of pointless anyway....
so then it would have been you that voted for jose in the mens olympiad poll then ;) :lol: :uhoh:

jenni
07-05-2004, 02:56 PM
so then it would have been you that voted for jose in the mens olympiad poll then ;) :lol: :uhoh:

I have to admit I thought about it :D , but no I didn't....

Bill Gletsos
07-05-2004, 03:02 PM
As that poll shows it was CL who voted for Jose.

Chess Dad
07-05-2004, 03:51 PM
As that poll shows it was CL who voted for Jose.
Is that another case of Chesslover voting for himself again ;) :whistle:

Alan Shore
07-05-2004, 05:25 PM
Yeah I voted for Giang anyway.. the option was there :p

Others were Irina, Anastasia and Laura. Since Giang won't be going guess my other choice would be Ingela.

chesslover
10-05-2004, 07:44 PM
17 voted for the Men's team. 5 for the women's :eek: :eek:

There are teh same 10 options, and the same public voting system

Yet 17 for men and 5 for women

does it mean that the women players are not so well known, or that simply the Men's team holds more interest? :eek:

Unlike League where this might be justified, as there is a vast chasm between men and women skill levels, there is no such excuse in chess. Men and Women's team are both equal and should be treated with the same level of importance by all

Bill Gletsos
10-05-2004, 07:46 PM
Unlike League where this might be justified, as there is a vast chasm between men and women skill levels, there is no such excuse in chess. Men and Women's team are both equal and should be treated with the same level of importance by all
Well actually there is a significant difference in skill level between the men and the women. In fact with the exception of Judith Polgar this is true world wide.

JGB
10-05-2004, 07:54 PM
17 voted for the Men's team. 5 for the women's :eek: :eek:

sorry, for me its a case of knowing far too little about most of the women players back In Australia to make an educated choice. :(

Garvinator
10-05-2004, 08:03 PM
sorry, for me its a case of knowing far too little about most of the women players back In Australia to make an educated choice. :(
im the same. also the women are far too inactive generally to be able to make any judgements from tournament results without knowing the players in person.