PDA

View Full Version : How do your students results make you feel?

MichaelBaron
16-03-2007, 12:44 AM
My 700-rated student (and he is not a junior) has beaten somebody ranked about 1500 last weekend. Why? because he is studying chess.:owned:

On top of it, one of my students (rated 1700 or so) won a club tournament, crushing a 2100 rated player in the last round. However, this time around, my joy was short-lived. Why? because the 2100 also happens to be my student. So should i laugh or cry:hmm:

Zwischenzug
16-03-2007, 08:34 AM
Its always nice seeing lower rated guys beating stronger opposition. It gives hope for us low rated players!

Carl Gorka
16-03-2007, 04:54 PM
My 700-rated student (and he is not a junior) has beaten somebody ranked about 1500 last weekend. Why? because he is studying chess.:owned:

On top of it, one of my students (rated 1700 or so) won a club tournament, crushing a 2100 rated player in the last round. However, this time around, my joy was short-lived. Why? because the 2100 also happens to be my student. So should i laugh or cry:hmm:

I get more of a buzz from my students results than my own. In fact I have lost all my zest for playing chess and get a great deal from seeing my students improve.....when a 1000 rated player draws with one rated over 2100 you just got to smile:D

MichaelBaron
18-03-2007, 09:43 AM
Another update about the 700-rated "champion in making" he was playing someone rated 2265 yeasterday...and gave him a very good game (he claims he was winning but i did not have a chance to have a close look at the game yet) but in any case, i think for the rapidly improving players - sky is the limit

qpawn
16-05-2007, 05:05 PM
Mr Baron, [snip-mod] just doesn't suit you.

According to you I play crap chess and always will do, despite the fact that I have said more than once that I treat my correspondence chess with the utmost seriousness.

So the sky is not the limit for me? You just pick and choose people are capable of improvement?

You are a disgrace and [snip-mod]. You are the reason why I advise nobody to play crossboard chess.

Kevin Bonham
16-05-2007, 05:08 PM
So the sky is not the limit for me? You just pick and choose people are capable of improvement?

There is no OTB evidence that you are a "rapidly improving player".

Basil
16-05-2007, 05:08 PM
Boris, we've been relegated from the handbags gold medal pplacing.

MichaelBaron
16-05-2007, 07:03 PM
Mr Baron, [snip-mod] just doesn't suit you.

Your attitude is the limit :)

MichaelBaron
16-05-2007, 07:07 PM
Mr Baron,
You are the reason why I advise nobody to play crossboard chess.

If i am the reason....a lot of OTB players must be thanking me right now...for freeing the chess scene from you :lol:

Btw, I may also be responsible for the recent tsunami in South East Asia, starvation in Africa and obviously for September 11th.:hmm:

Igor_Goldenberg
22-05-2007, 01:48 PM
Another update about the 700-rated "champion in making" he was playing someone rated 2265 yeasterday...and gave him a very good game (he claims he was winning but i did not have a chance to have a close look at the game yet) but in any case, i think for the rapidly improving players - sky is the limit

I don't think rating like 700 (or anything below 1200) can be seriously considered as a strength indicatior, as they (ratings) stop being reliable at that level.