PDA

View Full Version : How much then?

Basil
27-02-2007, 12:27 AM
Bill and state ratings officers. I would be interested to know your assessment of approximately how much time you dedicate on ratings work each year. Thanks.

I will ask Pat Byrom (Qld) when I see him later this week.

ER
28-02-2007, 12:12 AM
Bill and state ratings officers. I would be interested to know your assessment of approximately how much time you dedicate on ratings work each year. Thanks.

I will ask Pat Byrom (Qld) when I see him later this week.

They must be spending a lot of quality time! They are doing an excellent job! :clap:
Cheers and good luck!

Basil
28-02-2007, 11:48 PM
While we await further discussion from the men who know the answer, would anyone care to hazard a guess - just a roughie! ;) Gaaaaaaaarn!

Axiom
28-02-2007, 11:59 PM
While we await further discussion from the men who know the answer, would anyone care to hazard a guess - just a roughie! ;) Gaaaaaaaarn!
~ 70 hours ?

Basil
01-03-2007, 12:03 AM
~ 70 hours ?

I reckon you'd be in the ball park. Like everyone, I'm guessing. But say an hour a week ?? plus a bit at ratings time. 80 hours a year?

That'd be two weeks unpaid work a year :hmm:

Not including time spent receiving insults, hurry-ups and defending processes. None of which is related to genuine and considered discussion as well as education of n00bs on ratings which is all part of the gig.

Basil
15-04-2007, 04:05 PM
Nudge

Bill Gletsos
15-04-2007, 04:11 PM
Well I spent between 8-12 hours per week pretty much most weeks of last year whilst testing the changes that were eventully implemented in December 2006.

Basil
15-04-2007, 04:14 PM
Well I spent between 8-12 hours per week pretty much most weeks of last year whilst testing the changes that were eventully implemented in December 2006.
Thanks Bill. This is very important, ppl.

Please digest this (me too) and retain in RAM! when considering the dedication of our ratings officials.

Byrom still yet to give it up - he has promised an e-mail. I will remind him.

Oepty
15-04-2007, 05:23 PM
I probably don't do as much as other ratings officers by the sound of it. It probably will take me less than 5 hours per rating period to do the ratings and I would do nothing most weeks. I do though have a lot less tournaments to do than those in the bigger states.
My position does mean I am sort of on the SACA committee which has lead me to do some other things although I don't plan to attend SACA meetings.
Scott

Basil
17-04-2007, 12:16 AM
This from Pat Byrom (CAQ Ratings Officer)
------------------------------------------
The March period is always a quiet time, for example.

In 2003, when all the interschool events were being rated, I would estimate I spent about four hours per week.

In 2004 and 2005, 10% of players were required to have ratings, and the Gold Coast also didn't rate most of its interschool events, so I would estimate I spent about three hours per week.

In 2006, when the Rapid system became free, and all the interschool events (over the 10% threshhold) plus all of the Gardiner Center events were being rated, I would estimate I spent an average of seven hours per week.

In 2007, when none of the interschool events are being rated, I would estimate I spend about one hour per week on ratings.

So the amount of time I spend is almost completely determined by the junior Rapid events (very few of which are rated in the other states). The 'base load' would be about one hour per week for the Normal events, rising to seven hours per week if all the interschool and GC rapid events are rated, and exponentially beyond that if all the events on the Qld Junior list were rated on the ACF Rapid List.

Finally, I should point out that the amount of time I've spent in recent years has been reduced by my ongoing automation of the system.
------------------------------------------

Thanks Pat. So base load = approx a week's work a year.
In busier years, he has contributed significantly longer.

Kevin Bonham
17-04-2007, 01:57 AM

If my term as fill-in RO goes that long I'll let you know.

Basil
22-04-2007, 11:32 PM
Does anyone who is not or never has been a Ratings Officer have a comment? Mike? :P