PDA

View Full Version : NSW Masters/CJS Purdy Memorial

Rhubarb
03-05-2004, 09:05 AM
John Purdy, an Australian Champion in his own right, kicked off this tournament last night with a speech about his father, CJS Purdy, the great writer, player, and original World Correspendence Champion, and reminded the new generation that no less than Alekhine and Fischer were amongst Cecil's fans as a writer.

Gareth Charles, as a recent and welcome addition to this BB, I nominate you to write a personal diary of the play, if it is not otherwise covered online. :clap: :clap:

RalphSeberry
03-05-2004, 10:28 AM
Canfell,G - Feldman,V
Round 1

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 a6 6.Bc4 e6 7.0-0 Be7 8.Bb3 b5
9.f4 0-0 10.e5 dxe5 11.fxe5 Bc5 12.Be3 Nfd7 13.Ne4 Qc7? [ 13...Bxd4 followed by
...Nc6 was necessary] 14.Qh5 Bxd4 15.Bxd4 Nc6 16.Ng5! h6 17.Rxf7!! hxg5 [17. ... Rxf7 18.Qxf7+ Kh8 19.Qe8+; 17...Nxd4 18.Qg6 Nf3+ 19.Kh1 Qxe5 20.Qh7 mate] 18.Bxe6 Nd8 [ 18...Rxf7 19.Qxf7+Kh7 20.Qh5 mate; 18...Nxd4 19.Rxf8+ Kxf8 20.Qf7 mate; 18...Nf6 19.Rd7+!!] 19.Rxf8+ Kxf8 20.Bd5! 1-0

Lucena
03-05-2004, 01:20 PM
John Purdy, an Australian Champion in his own right, kicked off this tournament last night with a speech about his father, CJS Purdy, the great writer, player, and original World Correspendence Champion, and reminded the new generation that no less than Alekhine and Fischer were amongst Cecil's fans as a writer.

Gareth Charles, as a recent and welcome addition to this BB, I nominate you to write a personal diary of the play, if it is not otherwise covered online. :clap: :clap:
I see. Well, you've already done the Vic masters Greg, so I suppose it's my turn.

I had a depressing loss against Tim Reilly, mucked things up in the opening against his pirc and mucked them up again later going into time trouble, Andrew Bird got a position which looked crushing for him but his opponent Ralph Seberry managed to find a way out somehow, Rob Goris obtained good knight vs bad bishop and inflicted some hideous pawns to clean up Charles Ghenzer, and we already saw Greg's swashbuckling victory over Vlad. I don't know whether we can get hold of the other 3 games-well I for one am certainly not posting my game against Tim :uhoh:, I can't stop him posting it here if he wants to however.

Scores NSW masters: Reilly, Seberry, Canfell, Goris 1

Ghenzer, Feldman, Charles, Bird 0

As for the Purdy Memorial, I am sadly unqualified to comment as I didn't follow the results enough. I noticed that Vincent Suttor and Alex Mendes da Costa had a draw, but that's about it...Ilia Ilic looked like he was in a bit of a mess in his game but since he had two knights he was probably pretty confident-dunno what the result was

Lucena
03-05-2004, 01:31 PM
Canfell,G - Feldman,V
Round 1

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 a6 6.Bc4 e6 7.0-0 Be7 8.Bb3 b5
9.f4 0-0 10.e5 dxe5 11.fxe5 Bc5 12.Be3 Nfd7 13.Ne4 Qc7? [ 13...Bxd4 followed by
...Nc6 was necessary] 14.Qh5 Bxd4 15.Bxd4 Nc6 16.Ng5! h6 17.Rxf7!! hxg5 [17. ... Rxf7 18.Qxf7+ Kh8 19.Qe8+; 17...Nxd4 18.Qg6 Nf3+ 19.Kh1 Qxe5 20.Qh7 mate] 18.Bxe6 Nd8 [ 18...Rxf7 19.Qxf7+Kh7 20.Qh5 mate; 18...Nxd4 19.Rxf8+ Kxf8 20.Qf7 mate; 18...Nf6 19.Rd7+!!] 19.Rxf8+ Kxf8 20.Bd5! 1-0

That's a second time that variation's claimed an IM scalp I think-Sorokina got Froehlich with it in the last round of the Begonia Open. Oh, actually it was a slightly different variation :doh:

arosar
03-05-2004, 04:04 PM
Well done to Ralph for organising this tourn. The low turn-out was more to the last-minute publicity than anything else. I definitely think that a tourn at this level, in this format, is a welcome addition to Sydney chess. It'll be bigger next year.

A bit of a funny start with what seemed like a desperate search for players. A coupla Tamaraws didn't bloody turn up. Speech by Mr Purdy had to be delivered in the lobby in order to avoid disturbing bridge players. And Jason Lyons was professional as always with a careful explanation of the RR system.

AR

Lucena
04-05-2004, 03:31 PM
I was amused to see one (nameless) player turn up to play and then complain about the time control[90min, 30s extra increments from start] not being suitable(a la Sweeney?). I would've thought if you felt that strongly about the time control you just wouldn't play in the thing. I for my part slightly dislike 60 and 10, but I don't whinge about it-if that's the time control the tournament is advertised as being held under, you like it or lump it.

Bill Gletsos
04-05-2004, 04:29 PM
I was amused to see one (nameless) player turn up to play and then complain about the time control[40/90, 30s extra increments from start] not being suitable(a la Sweeney?). I would've thought if you felt that strongly about the time control you just wouldn't play in the thing. I for my part slightly dislike 60 and 10, but I don't whinge about it-if that's the time control the tournament is advertised as being held under, you like it or lump it.
Note its not 40/90 + 30secs/move from start but G90 + 30sec/move from the start.

So was this nameless person suggesting the time limit was too short?

Lucena
04-05-2004, 04:52 PM
Note its not 40/90 + 30secs/move from start but G90 + 30sec/move from the start.
Yes I meant to type 90 don't know why I typed 40/90 originally-I did actually know what the time control was :) just careless I suppose

Lucena
04-05-2004, 05:02 PM
I'll be playing Rob Goris tonight so I'll see if I can get him to post his game here.

jase
04-05-2004, 11:16 PM
The small turnout for this event is unfortunate. A lack of advertising and a reluctance by many to try different formats seem to be the primary reasons. I was skeptical of the event, but I've been converted by the standard of entries, the efforts Ralph has made, and the format.

Rounds are on most Sunday evenings at the NSW Bridge Centre, Level 1, 162 Goulburn St, Sydney, at 6:30pm. Spectators welcome - many of Sydney's strongest players are competing, as you will note from the field:

-------------------------------------------

Division 1 [NSW Masters]

Andrew Bird 0 Ralph Seberry 1
Greg Canfell 1 Vladimir Feldman 0
Robert Goris 1 Charles Ghenzer 0
Gareth Charles 0 Tim Reilly 1

Division 2 [Purdy Memorial]

Ilya Ilic 1/2 Ben Lee 1/2
Michael Walsh 1 Joel Harp 0
Vince Suttor 1/2 Alex Mendes da Costa 1/2
Michael Dunn 0 Pat Halpin 1

Division 3

Eddie Lau 0 Tom Tomas 1
Herman Rachmadi 0 Danny Bisson 1
Horst Bleicher 0 Paul Glisson 1
Amiel Rosario 0 Norm Greenwood 1

Division 4

Steve Steinitz 1 Socheat Soth 0
Michael Tracey 0 James Liebert 1

---------------------------------------------

The top two divisions are FIDE rated.
Note that Division 4 has only half a field - we are looking for a few lower rated players to play in this event. Based on the excellent spirit of round one, I highly recommend participation.

Bill Gletsos
05-05-2004, 12:24 AM
The small turnout for this event is unfortunate. A lack of advertising and a reluctance by many to try different formats seem to be the primary reasons. I was skeptical of the event, but I've been converted by the standard of entries, the efforts Ralph has made, and the format.

Rounds are on most Sunday evenings at the NSW Bridge Centre, Level 1, 162 Goulburn St, Sydney, at 6:30pm. Spectators welcome - many of Sydney's strongest players are competing, as you will note from the field:

-------------------------------------------

Division 1 [NSW Masters]

Andrew Bird 0 Ralph Seberry 1
Greg Canfell 1 Vladimir Feldman 0
Robert Goris 1 Charles Ghenzer 0
Gareth Charles 0 Tim Reilly 1

Division 2 [Purdy Memorial]

Ilya Ilic 1/2 Ben Lee 1/2
Michael Walsh 1 Joel Harp 0
Vince Suttor 1/2 Alex Mendes da Costa 1/2
Michael Dunn 0 Pat Halpin 1

Division 3

Eddie Lau 0 Tom Tomas 1
Herman Rachmadi 0 Danny Bisson 1
Horst Bleicher 0 Paul Glisson 1
Amiel Rosario 0 Norm Greenwood 1

Division 4

Steve Steinitz 1 Socheat Soth 0
Michael Tracey 0 James Liebert 1

---------------------------------------------

Note that Division 4 has only half a field - we are looking for a few lower rated players to play in this event. Based on the excellent spirit of round one, I highly recommend participation.
I put a fair amount of effort in getting the NSWCA Council to approve Ralph's plans for this tournament and it was always intended that the divisions would be based on the players being divided into groups based on rating order.
Therefore why is Halpin in Div 2 when he is the same rating as Goris and ourateds Ghenzer, Charles and Bird. Surely Bird as the lowest rated should have been in Div 2.

Also the NSWCA Council only authorised the FIDE rating of the NSW Masters and no other divisions. This is quite clear from the advert on the NSWCA web site.

jase
05-05-2004, 09:59 AM
I put a fair amount of effort in getting the NSWCA Council to approve Ralph's plans for this tournament and it was always intended that the divisions would be based on the players being divided into groups based on rating order.
Therefore why is Halpin in Div 2 when he is the same rating as Goris and ourateds Ghenzer, Charles and Bird. Surely Bird as the lowest rated should have been in Div 2.

Also the NSWCA Council only authorised the FIDE rating of the NSW Masters and no other divisions. This is quite clear from the advert on the NSWCA web site.

Halpin is in the second division because he hasn'ty played over the board for about a decade. His 2265-ish FIDE is unlikely to reflect his playing strength. I see Pat a lot at Peter Parr's shop, where he plays blitz on the Chessbase server. He is playing at about 1900 there.

Pat was unwilling to play the top division. We could have insisted on that or nothing, based on his rating, however it was my view that he won't outclass the Division 2 field, that is was in everyone's interests to bring people like Pat back to the board, and so he was allowed to enter Division 2.

Given the high number of FIDE rated players who have entered the event, I think that Ralph might have used his own initiative to offer to FIDE rate the 2nd Division. I think it's worth spending the extra $100. Given that the advert to which you refer was only placed on the website by the recalcitrant :uhoh: webmaster shortly before the commencement of the event, I don't think the conditions of the event were remotely known by anyone who Ralph had not telephoned.

Bill Gletsos
05-05-2004, 10:30 AM
Halpin is in the second division because he hasn'ty played over the board for about a decade. His 2265-ish FIDE is unlikely to reflect his playing strength. I see Pat a lot at Peter Parr's shop, where he plays blitz on the Chessbase server. He is playing at about 1900 there.
Actually halpin last played an ACF rated tournament back in the April 2002 rating period. His previous tournament to that was in the December 2001 period. As you say his FIDE rating is probably inaccurate.

Pat was unwilling to play the top division. We could have insisted on that or nothing, based on his rating, however it was my view that he won't outclass the Division 2 field, that is was in everyone's interests to bring people like Pat back to the board, and so he was allowed to enter Division 2.
I guess we will see if that he wont outclass the div 2 field over the course of the event.

Given the high number of FIDE rated players who have entered the event, I think that Ralph might have used his own initiative to offer to FIDE rate the 2nd Division. I think it's worth spending the extra $100.

Although I agree the extra $100 is neither really here or there the DOP/organiser is not authorised to change the tournament conditions.
In fact at its April meeting the NSWCA Council re-iterated that under no circumstances are the DOP's or any subset of council members(unless their decision represents an absolutely majotiry on council) can vary the conditions of a tournament. This covers all aspects including increasing prize money. If there is a greater number of players than was esimated then the Council will increase the prize fund. Where the tournament conditions state that the prize fund is dependant on X entries the the Treasuer will reduce the prize fund by an amount to ensure the tournament does not run at a loss.

Given that the advert to which you refer was only placed on the website by the recalcitrant :uhoh: webmaster shortly before the commencement of the event, I don't think the conditions of the event were remotely known by anyone who Ralph had not telephoned.
That may well be true in which case they should not have been expecting it to be FIDE rated as that is the exception rather than the rule.
As for the webmaster the finalised adverts were only sent to the him on the 19th April.

Lucena
05-05-2004, 10:37 AM
Given that the advert to which you refer was only placed on the website by the recalcitrant :uhoh: webmaster shortly before the commencement of the event, I don't think the conditions of the event were remotely known by anyone who Ralph had not telephoned.

hehe well now there's a whole extra behind-the-scenes story... ;) actually having stayed in the same room as Mal at the Doeberl and heard about the concerns of him and other country players I can't say I really blame him. Nevertheless I'm glad personally to have the opportunity to play in this tournament

PS btw I'm referring to the clash between this tournament and some country tournaments. If anyone feels this is worth further discussion I suspect it may need a new thread

jase
05-05-2004, 11:17 AM
Actually halpin last played an ACF rated tournament back in the April 2004 rating period. His previous tournament to that was in the December 2001 period. As you say his FIDE rating is probably inaccurate.

Can you advise what his performance, or his rating change, was, for either of these events? I was not aware that Pat had played any tournaments in recent years.

Although I agree the extra $100 is neither really here or there the DOP/organiser is not authorised to change the tournament conditions. In fact at its April meeting the NSWCA Council re-iterated that under no circumstances are the DOP's or any subset of council members(unless their decision represents an absolutely majotiry on council) can vary the conditions of a tournament.

I can appreciate Council's desire for agreed tournament conditions to be adhered to. I was not aware of some of the finer points of the tournament conditions, having only been confirmed as the arbiter late last week.

This covers all aspects including increasing prize money. If there is a greater number of players than was esimated then the Council will increase the prize fund. Where the tournament conditions state that the prize fund is dependant on X entries the the Treasuer will reduce the prize fund by an amount to ensure the tournament does not run at a loss.

As per my email correspondence with the NSWCA, it is my strongly held view that we should be prepared to run events at a loss in striving to increase playing numbers, particularly at the adult level. I do not advocate that all tournaments should be budgeted to make a loss, however I do argue that events should be budgeted and marketed to attract greater player numbers than current practice is achieving.

As for the webmaster the finalised adverts were only sent to the him on the 19th April.

As per Charles' comments, it is well established that the webmaster was refusing to advertise the event long before April 19. His concerns are valid. His actions are not. We will endeavour to be very accommodating, during the course of this event, toward players who wish to compete in chess events that clash with our schedule. It is not to anyone's benefit for this tournament to detract from playing numbers in country tournaments. If there are flyers to promote these tournaments, they ought to be distributed among players and spectators at the Bridge Centre.

Bill Gletsos
05-05-2004, 11:22 AM
hehe well now there's a whole extra behind-the-scenes story... ;) actually having stayed in the same room as Mal at the Doeberl and heard about the concerns of him and other country players I can't say I really blame him. Nevertheless I'm glad personally to have the opportunity to play in this tournament.

PS btw I'm referring to the clash between this tournament and some country tournaments. If anyone feels this is worth further discussion I suspect it may need a new thread
The tournament clashes with 3 country tournaments.
2 Laurieton tournaments and a Wollongong tournament.
The number of non local NSWCA members who usually play in those Laurieton tournaments is around 3 players.
For the Wollongong tournament it was estimated that at worst the impact on their numbers would be 6 players.
However note the NSW Masters and the CJS Purdy tournament are round robins. Hence the pairings are known from round 1. Anyone who therefore wants to play in one of those country tournaments can easily arrange to have their Masters/CJS Purdy game played at another time.

Lucena
05-05-2004, 12:07 PM
The tournament clashes with 3 country tournaments.
2 Laurieton tournaments and a Wollongong tournament.
The number of non local NSWCA members who usually play in those Laurieton tournaments is around 3 players.
For the Wollongong tournament it was estimated that at worst the impact on their numbers would be 6 players.
However note the NSW Masters and the CJS Purdy tournament are round robins. Hence the pairings are known from round 1. Anyone who therefore wants to play in one of those country tournaments can easily arrange to have their Masters/CJS Purdy game played at another time.
point taken. I also heard they moved the round clashing with Wollongong (to try and shut Matthew up), so that would further reduce the impact. As for postponements, this would work ok depending on opponent. you just hope you haven't got to play vlad feldman [or Tim Reilly?]when you want to postpone :D

arosar
05-05-2004, 12:57 PM
Can you advise what his performance, or his rating change, was, for either of these events? I was not aware that Pat had played any tournaments in recent years.

He also played in the Australia Day weekender in 2002 (http://members.ozemail.com.au/~nswca/janweekend.htm).

As per Charles' comments, it is well established that the webmaster was refusing to advertise the event long before April 19. His concerns are valid. His actions are not.

Did Mal simple refuse or did he have the support of the majority of Council?

It is not to anyone's benefit for this tournament to detract from playing numbers in country tournaments.

In one AGM, I think that was the one where we had that bloke from up North giving a bit of an oration, I expressed the view that we should just dump our country cousins exactly because of this type of scenario happening. Though I may not necessarily hold this view now, I reckon that we should not allow the country mob to interfere with the metro crowd. After all, we are bigger and better here.

AR

Bill Gletsos
05-05-2004, 01:02 PM
point taken. I also heard they moved the round clashing with Wollongong (to try and shut Matthew up), so that would further reduce the impact.
That is incorrect. The clash with the wollongong tournament remains. The only country tournament that was not directly clashed with was the Mingara tournament because it was felt that a significant number of Sydney based NSWCA members play in it.

As for postponements, this would work ok depending on opponent. you just hope you haven't got to play vlad feldman [or Tim Reilly?]when you want to postpone :D
Of course thats why you have arbiters to sort out any such problems. ;)

Bill Gletsos
05-05-2004, 01:26 PM
His december 2001 performance rating was 1990 based on 9 games.
His 3 losses were to Lachlan Benson, Charles Ghenzer and Roger Cook.
His performance rating in the April 2002 period was 2060 based on 7 games.
Here he lost to Mario Falchoni and drew with lee Forace and Jeremy Hirschhorn.

I can appreciate Council's desire for agreed tournament conditions to be adhered to. I was not aware of some of the finer points of the tournament conditions, having only been confirmed as the arbiter late last week.
I'm aware of that. I was just stating the situation for any others who may be readin the posts.

As per my email correspondence with the NSWCA, it is my strongly held view that we should be prepared to run events at a loss in striving to increase playing numbers, particularly at the adult level. I do not advocate that all tournaments should be budgeted to make a loss, however I do argue that events should be budgeted and marketed to attract greater player numbers than current practice is achieving.
Keep an eye out for the new NSW Open advert.

As per Charles' comments, it is well established that the webmaster was refusing to advertise the event long before April 19. His concerns are valid. His actions are not.
To be fair he hightlighted some concerns that were not immediately obvious when the advert was first presented. The majority of council supported his views.
I then discussed things with Ralph and if you ask him I'm sure he will agree that I then spent ages convincing the other members of Council that we should go forward with this tournament and finally having them approve it.
Once this happened then as far as I know once the final approved advert was sent to the webmaster he posted it on the NSWCA web site.

We will endeavour to be very accommodating, during the course of this event, toward players who wish to compete in chess events that clash with our schedule. It is not to anyone's benefit for this tournament to detract from playing numbers in country tournaments. If there are flyers to promote these tournaments, they ought to be distributed among players and spectators at the Bridge Centre.
They are not NSWCA events so we dont have any flyers.
As I said it was felt the actual impact on those tournaments by players who are actual NSWCA members was minimal. Certainly the stats from previous years supported this.

Bill Gletsos
05-05-2004, 01:35 PM
He also played in the Australia Day weekender in 2002 (http://members.ozemail.com.au/~nswca/janweekend.htm).
That was the tournament in the April 2002 period I referred to.

Did Mal simple refuse or did he have the support of the majority of Council?
See my response to jase.

In one AGM, I think that was the one where we had that bloke from up North giving a bit of an oration, I expressed the view that we should just dump our country cousins exactly because of this type of scenario happening. Though I may not necessarily hold this view now, I reckon that we should not allow the country mob to interfere with the metro crowd. After all, we are bigger and better here.
Let us therefore be thankful you are not on Council. ;)
Seriously we are the NSWCA not the Sydney CA.
We have a responsability to all our members both city and country.
However we should not necessarily not clash tournaments where it is believed that the impact will be minimal. Common sense should prevail.

After all to play in a NSWCA event you have to be a member. This is not true for other tournaments. Therefore I was very careful to point out the impact on those tournaments by NSWCA members is minimal.

arosar
05-05-2004, 05:13 PM
To be fair he hightlighted some concerns that were not immediately obvious when the advert was first presented.

What concerns specifically?

AR

Bill Gletsos
05-05-2004, 09:35 PM
What concerns specifically?

AR
The tournament was originally 9 Sundays from May 2nd to July 11th.
Therefore apart from clashing with the 3 tournaments already mentioned it also clashed 3 the NSWCA's own May Weekender, the Mingara U2000, the NSWCA July Weekender and the Fairfield Winter Cup.

The Council has since decided to cancel the July weekender.

Trent Parker
06-05-2004, 04:53 PM

I would absolutely love to play but 2 things stop me:
1. The late Start/ finish time.
2. I have decided not to play in any tournaments until university finishes.

To be fair he hightlighted some concerns that were not immediately obvious when the advert was first presented. The majority of council supported his views.
I then discussed things with Ralph and if you ask him I'm sure he will agree that I then spent ages convincing the other members of Council that we should go forward with this tournament and finally having them approve it.
Once this happened then as far as I know once the final approved advert was sent to the webmaster he posted it on the NSWCA web site.

Yes, I was one that had some reservations in allowing this tourney to happen. But I believe that there may be minimal impact on these other tournaments. My arguement was that we should be encouraging more sydney players to go to the country tournaments. In fact if flyers were arranged to be distribute at this tournament there could be an increase in the amount of sydney players. Also I could sympathise with country people somewhat because I live where people whould call it country. Trying to get Sydney people to some country tournaments would be like trying to get grandmasterss to australia

It should be better planned and advertised next year. Also there should not be any clashes (probably, hopefully)

jase
06-05-2004, 05:22 PM
I would absolutely love to play but 2 things stop me:
1. The late Start/ finish time.
2. I have decided not to play in any tournaments until university finishes.

The first round started quite late due to organisational headaches, however all rounds will now commence at 6:30pm, so you could expect to finish your game by about 9:30pm. You might even be able to reschedule a game or two where you have pressing work/study commitments on the Monday.

Are you really going to abstain from chess for the whole year??

Trent Parker
06-05-2004, 11:08 PM
The first round started quite late due to organisational headaches, however all rounds will now commence at 6:30pm, so you could expect to finish your game by about 9:30pm. You might even be able to reschedule a game or two where you have pressing work/study commitments on the Monday.

Are you really going to abstain from chess for the whole year??

I should finish my degree this semester.

In relation to the time. I live at Picton and do not drive. Therefore i catch a train. The last train leaves campbelltown for picton at 10.23 on a Sunday.

jase
10-05-2004, 02:36 AM
Calamity Central.

After last week's [dis]organisation that saw the tournament kick off an hour late, we managed to top it by having all the chess equipment locked in the store room with no access.

Norm Greenwood was sent across the Bridge to source some equipment and games finally commenced. Games started over an hour late. The patience and good humour of the players was much appreciated. Several were rescheduled [with my blessing/at my instigation]. One player hung around for an hour, seemingly in good spirits and understanding of the circumstances, only to leave moments before the equipment arrived, without informing his opponent, the arbiter, or the organiser, all of whom he had chatted with during the extended pause. Frustration is understandable; just walking out is not.

Of the games played:

--------------------------------

NSW Masters:

Greg Canfell 1/2 Andrew Bird

Purdy Memorial:

Alex Mendes da Costa 1 Michael Dunn 0
Joel Harp 1 Vince Suttor 0 [Vince was unlucky]
Ilya Ilic 1 Michael Walsh 0 [lovely finish by Ilya]

Division III

Tom Tomas 0 Norm Greenwood 1 [the Treasurer is on fire!]
Danny Bisson 0 Horst Bleicher 1
Eddie Lau 1 Herman Rachmadi 0 [fascinating rook ending concluded by time]

Division IV

Jason Lyons 1 Michael Tracey 0 [what the ... ?]
Steve Steinitz 0 James Leibert 1

--------------------------------------

Yes, it's true: to cover a last minute withdrawal, and in despair about how to run a tournament with only three players, I entered myself into tonight's round. I think this was my second tournament game in a decade. Despite playing a semblance of an opening I learnt in 1986, a rook lift theme made it a satisfactory return:

1. d4 Nf6 2. e3 d5 3. Bd3 Bg4 {was going to play a Colle/Stonewall - this move deserves an exclamation mark for exhausting my repetoire} 4. Nf3 e6 5. Nd2 a6 6. 0-0 c5 7. c3 Nc6 8. Re1 Be7 9. b3 {running out of ideas now} h6 {thank God! so is he...} 10. h3 {piss off} Bxf3 11. Nxf3 0-0 12. Ne5 Rc8 13. Ba3 {what else am I supposed to do with it?} Nxe5 14. dxe5 {rock on - love kicking the knight away from defensive duties like this} Nd7 15. f4 b5 16. Qf3 {vague idea of a scary pretence} Nb6 {you take the queenside buddy} 17. Bc2 {clueless} Qc7 18. Rad1 Rfd8 19. Rd2 Rd7 {anything you can do...} 20. Red1 Rcd8 21. Bb2 {yah, like THAT diagonal will be busy soon...} a5 22. f5 {figuring that if Qxe4, c4 will take me to my happy place} c4 {ah} 23. f6 {big wheels keep on rolling'} Bf8 24. Qg3 {hanging on to e4, or else I've built a house of cards} g6 25. Rd4 {not so much the start of a variation as a 'line my pieces up over THERE and good shit will surely follow' plan of action} b4 26. Rh4 Kh7 27. Rdd4 {can I play Rxh6 immediately?} cxb3 28. Rxh6 {oh baby} Bxh6 29. Rh4 Rh8 30. Rxh6 {hit me baby one more time} Kg8 31. Rxh8 1-0

Lucena
11-05-2004, 09:49 PM
slightly bizarre opening but very interesting game Jason! :clap:

Alan Shore
11-05-2004, 11:16 PM
Haha, nice game Jase, lovely finish too. Best part was the commentary :D

P.S. Gareth there's a 'post reply' button at the bottom, you don't have to quote everything..

Lucena
12-05-2004, 10:51 AM

P.S. Gareth there's a 'post reply' button at the bottom, you don't have to quote everything..

ok. thanks, fixed that now

Rhubarb
12-05-2004, 12:21 PM

I liked the commentary too, kinda like gonzo chess annotating - a new genre perhaps?

jase
20-05-2004, 12:04 AM
Some updates on this event:

1. Ralph's position in the Masters event has been assumed by Raymond Song. A passing of the baton, perhaps, from the current State Champion to a future one.

2. Division IV of the event is struggling. It started with 4 players, and is now down to 3, unless I continue to play. I think the best outcome at this point is to find a 4th player, rated below 1500, to make up a quartet that competes in a Double Round Robin. All other soultions are terribly compromising on the integrity of the field, I think.

Is there anyone willing to step in? You'll have a 1 in 4 shot at the $200, and given the small field can probably reschedule any game that you cannot make on a Sunday evening. Some flexibility in terms of starting time might be offered also [eg Trent had indicated that getting home at night was a problem: if starting half an hour earlier alleviated that, perhaps we can find a solution].

PHAT
20-05-2004, 07:31 AM
2. Division IV of the event is struggling. It started with 4 players, and is now down to 3, unless I continue to play. I think the best outcome at this point is to find a 4th player, rated below 1500, to make up a quartet that competes in a Double Round Robin. All other soultions are terribly compromising on the integrity of the field, I think.

Is there anyone willing to step in? You'll have a 1 in 4 shot at the $200, and given the small field can probably reschedule any game that you cannot make on a Sunday evening. Some flexibility in terms of starting time might be offered also [eg Trent had indicated that getting home at night was a problem: if starting half an hour earlier alleviated that, perhaps we can find a solution].

Me. Unless someone else wants this position, I will play to keep the division going.

[Edit] PS. could I get two half point byes please?

jase
20-05-2004, 09:28 AM
Thanks Matt. Much appreciated.

What can we do to help your travel to and from the 'Gong? Is the 6:30pm start time going to be manageable?

PHAT
20-05-2004, 03:36 PM
Thanks Matt. Much appreciated.

What can we do to help your travel to and from the 'Gong? Is the 6:30pm start time going to be manageable?

6:30 pm is fine.

Q1. Is there parking at the Bridge Club?
Q2. Who am I replacing in the double RR?
Q3. What are you requesting of me regarding the missed first two rounds?

jase
20-05-2004, 04:45 PM
1. There is on-street parking which seems readily available at that hour from my observations.

2. You are replacing Socheat Soth, who withdrew after losing his first game. I took his spot for round 2. In the online draw I think I am listed now?

3. Good question that. I might want to think about it, and perhaps consult the NSWCA. One option is to let the games of Socheat and myself stand, with you coming in at 1/2, and playing as the 4th player for the remaining rounds. A second option would be to void those games, though I think this starts to create some scheduling problems with you travelling from Wollongong. Not insurmountable, as there is a week or two spare [eg this division will be 6 rounds, whereas the others are 7].

Lucena
04-06-2004, 04:22 PM
I would like to mention that I will soon be absent from this board due to exams. This is why I will sadly be unable to post on this and other threads soon. :(

Garvinator
04-06-2004, 04:57 PM
I would like to mention that I will soon be absent from this board due to exams. This is why I will sadly be unable to post on this and other threads soon. :(
gareth, there is a thread for everything on here :lol: this thread might be of more use to announce your departure :( http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=252&page=4

jase
08-06-2004, 05:00 PM
Tournament update as of June 8, 2004:

Lucena
30-06-2004, 02:29 PM
gareth, there is a thread for everything on here :lol: this thread might be of more use to announce your departure :( http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=252&page=4

I know about that thread but I wanted to post it here as one person gregariously ribbed me about my lack of contribution to this thread(since I previously said I would cover the tournament on here).

arosar
16-08-2004, 01:43 PM
Bill -

Will the top tourn still be FIDE rated? I heard rumours that FIDE rating is withdrawn thanks to the hard lobbying of one player. What's the story here mate?

AR

Bill Gletsos
16-08-2004, 04:03 PM
Bill -

Will the top tourn still be FIDE rated? I heard rumours that FIDE rating is withdrawn thanks to the hard lobbying of one player. What's the story here mate?

AR
A certain player brought it to my attention that the event ran over the 90 day period for a FIDE event and thus did not meet the FIDE regulations. I checked the FIDE regulations and based on that I informed Gary Bekker not to rate it.
However after the council received an email from another player regarding the issue I have asked Gary Bekker in his capacity as the ACF FIDE Rating Officer to confirm if the event can still be rated. I suggested to him that perhaps he could ask FIDE if they would allow for the event to be rated given the circumstances that a player and main organiser died just after the event commenced and needed to be replaced.

I'm therefore waiting to hear from Gary.
If he says it can be rated then the NSWCA will obviously pay the FIDE rating fee.

Rhubarb
25-08-2004, 06:16 PM
Hi Bill,

Are you now able to confirm that this tournament will be FIDE-rated (as advertised)?

Bill Gletsos
25-08-2004, 06:37 PM
Hi Bill,

Are you now able to confirm that this tournament will be FIDE-rated (as advertised)?
I have supplied Gary Bekker with the crosstable so that if it can be rated it will be.
As of the 20th August Gary Bekker was waitng on a response from FIDE regarding its eligability.

Rhubarb
25-08-2004, 07:23 PM
Well this is simply excellent news.

Let us hope that between the three of you (NSWCA, ACF, FIDE) you get it right.

arosar
31-08-2004, 11:23 AM
Sooo....is it gonna be FIDE rated or not?

AR

Bill Gletsos
31-08-2004, 11:41 AM
Sooo....is it gonna be FIDE rated or not?

AR
I believe Gary Bekker has submitted it to FIDE, but I am awaiting actual confirmation of this.

paulb
02-09-2004, 08:11 PM
Hi
I assume this tournament is finished? The results on the NSWCA site seem incomplete - or am I missing something?
Cheers - PaulB

Lucena
02-09-2004, 10:14 PM
All I know is the masters is definitely finished. I believe all the divisions in the Purdy Memorial are also finished. As for my results that are not on the website, I drew with Charles Ghenzer and Robert Goris. I suspect whoever was maintaining the website got sick of waiting for results to come in and just forgot about it.

Bill Gletsos
02-09-2004, 11:51 PM
The results are:

1st Canfell 6
=2nd Goris, Reilly 5
4th Feldman 3.5
=5th Charles, Bird 2.5
7th Ghenzer 2
8th Song 1.5

PHAT
10-08-2005, 02:17 PM
Where can I find the results of the 2005?