PDA

View Full Version : Thread hijacking

Spiny Norman
08-02-2007, 03:40 PM
Calling all mods, calling all mods, :)

I respectfully request a thread split of this thread:
http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=5882

from (and including) post #4 onwards. Once again a perfectly reasonable and sensible discussion has been hijacked by a certain individual who is well known (and was recently banned) for repeated acts of trolling.

Can I also request that you censure said individual (again).

Kevin Bonham
08-02-2007, 08:08 PM
We agree and I've deleted all the rubbish (and replies) and again suspended the offender since he has clearly continued in the same manner as got him banned last time.

Spiny Norman
09-02-2007, 06:44 AM
Thanks Kevin, et al ... its a pity it has come to this, since I generally enjoy AC's sometimes quirky turns of phrase.

AC:

for goodness sake man, get a grip and stop stuffing up the environment here for those of us who actually want to get something constructive out of it.

If you want to comment on VIC club-vs-club fights, START YOUR OWN THREAD and stop hijacking other people's threads.

Just because an idea occurs to you when reading someone else's thread, doesn't mean that you should just post it. Not all ideas are good ideas. Comprende?

Try to show a little decorum in future please.

Watto
09-02-2007, 07:34 AM
Thanks Kevin, et al ... its a pity it has come to this, since I generally enjoy AC's sometimes quirky turns of phrase.

AC:

for goodness sake man, get a grip and stop stuffing up the environment here for those of us who actually want to get something constructive out of it.

If you want to comment on VIC club-vs-club fights, START YOUR OWN THREAD and stop hijacking other people's threads.

Just because an idea occurs to you when reading someone else's thread, doesn't mean that you should just post it. Not all ideas are good ideas. Comprende?

Try to show a little decorum in future please.
I also sometimes enjoy AC's 'quirky turns of phrase'. I agree that he hijacks threads but I'd also say that people shouldn't so eagerly (or earnestly) take the bait of a self proclaimed, known stirrer. They just complete the hijack with all their indignant replies. Just because it occurs to them to respond, doesn't mean they have to... but for some reason I can't fathom, they do. I mean his post about Victorian clubs really wasn't worth getting upset about or replying to. It wasn't racist or sexist or anything. He was obviously just STIRRING Victorians. Just ignore the small post and move on... just a thought.

Spiny Norman
09-02-2007, 09:06 AM
I agree Watto, but only to a point. People who are very experienced BB users will sniff out a troll at 40 paces and ignore it. I have studiously ignored some provocative stuff from AC and have laughed off the rest. But in a large community, someone will almost always bite. People who troll get some kind of kick out of this, for reasons that I cannot quite fathom, but obviously there some kind of psychological payoff? Sooner or later, if someone is persistently doing this, there have to be repercussions, otherwise there's anarchy?! I don't mind the occasional clever trolling effort ... but with AC its the sheer quantity of trolling combined with the bluntness of his scalpel that gets up my nose.

Kevin Bonham
09-02-2007, 02:33 PM
The second of his four trolling posts on that thread (for only three replies!) was much worse than the first.

Experienced posters should feel very free to respond to AC's stirring with "Do Not Feed The Troll" type posts that will discourage others from taking his bait.

However, if he continues trolling to try to start fights, especially where the real-world reputations of individuals are at stake, he can expect to keep getting banned. We've been very patient with it over a long time but have now had enough of having to clean up after him all the time.

Garvinator
09-02-2007, 03:08 PM
The second of his four trolling posts on that thread (for only three replies!) was much worse than the first.

Experienced posters should feel very free to respond to AC's stirring with "Do Not Feed The Troll" type posts that will discourage others from taking his bait.

However, if he continues trolling to try to start fights, especially where the real-world reputations of individuals are at stake, he can expect to keep getting banned. We've been very patient with it over a long time but have now had enough of having to clean up after him all the time.
Also my experience has been that I have been reluctant to discuss alot of topics or get involved because of previous experience with ac's trolling attempts. I have just found it easier to say nothing, than to say something and start all the off topic trolling attempts again.

ElevatorEscapee
11-02-2007, 07:48 PM
Well, you are all very intelligent individuals... so what do you think about the Palestinian/Israeli situation? ;) :P

ElevatorEscapee
17-02-2007, 05:01 PM
Good one Frosty, you just gave them more rules to implement! (read 16/02 jacking rule) Is this part of a plan or something? ;)

Just out of curiosity, will the ban be implemented upon the moderators who threadjack as well? :P

My guess is very probably not (as it is with the existing rules). :confused:

Kevin Bonham
17-02-2007, 05:18 PM
It had nothing to do with Frosty. We were already disciplining antichrist for his frequent blatant threadjacking, but the mysterious ursogr8 pointed out that we had not codified a rule against it. Although we do not need to do so, we decided we should rectify this omission.

EE, I suspect you are having troubles distinguishing between threadjacking and natural thread drift; can you quote an example of a moderator threadjacking? :eek:

Oh, and by the way, your comments on the Israel-Palestine situation are deeply offensive to three-headed megavoles from the deepest lakes of Arcturus.

eclectic
17-02-2007, 06:42 PM
I had thought of asking antichrist to put up a public poll to ascertain who are the worst trollers and/or thread hijackers here ... but I can't for the time being now, can I :D

Kevin Bonham
17-02-2007, 09:08 PM
He'll be salivating at the prospect now.

ElevatorEscapee
26-02-2007, 08:27 PM
EE, I suspect you are having troubles distinguishing between threadjacking and natural thread drift; can you quote an example of a moderator threadjacking? :eek:

Kevin, seek and ye shall find! :) :P

http://www.chesschat.org/showpost.php?p=55562&postcount=13

Basil
26-02-2007, 08:47 PM
EE, we'll need the thread and not the post to evaluate your claim.

Bill Gletsos
26-02-2007, 09:02 PM

http://www.chesschat.org/showpost.php?p=55562&postcount=13If you were really observant you should have noticed I wasnt a moderator at the time of that post.

ElevatorEscapee
26-02-2007, 09:03 PM
^^^^

Howard, if you really must read through it all....

http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=2382

Kevin Bonham
26-02-2007, 09:07 PM

Not convinced, given that the post it was replying to was mostly off-topic spelling flames anyway. Quite aside from Bill not being a mod at the time as he points out.

antichrist
02-03-2007, 07:39 PM
We agree and I've deleted all the rubbish (and replies) and again suspended the offender since he has clearly continued in the same manner as got him banned last time.

I was not thread jacking at all, I was stating what may have been considered facts in the relevant thread - many contra opinions are expressed in the relevant thread. WHere is your opinion poll disproving the relevancy of my post?

Kevin Bonham
02-03-2007, 07:42 PM
Opinion polls don't prove anything. :lol:

antichrist
02-03-2007, 07:46 PM
Opinion polls don't prove anything. :lol:

Did the invisible flying Goddess get invisibly barred as I notice she has not posted since THAT A/C gem stir