PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista

Garvinator
31-01-2007, 03:13 AM
New Windows Operating System has been released. Been looking through the websites but not sure whether there is really a need to upgrade from XP.

So I guess the question is, what are the benefits of Vista, compared to XP?

I would say I am not the only one thinking about this question.

Basil
31-01-2007, 03:23 AM
Will it look like this?

http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/

Desmond
31-01-2007, 08:16 AM
So I guess the question is, what are the benefits of Vista, compared to XP?IMO SFA.

MichaelBaron
31-01-2007, 01:39 PM
Windows Vista is nothing special...Just another money-making exercise by Mr. Gates and Co.

Desmond
31-01-2007, 02:04 PM
Will it look like this?

http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/No, they're not going to copy that 'til the next Windows release.

Basil
31-01-2007, 02:30 PM
No, they're not going to copy that 'til the next Windows release.

$10 HCDs

Yes, that would be Windows 2009 due out in 2011 ;)

Denis_Jessop
31-01-2007, 02:44 PM
One problem is that apparently it needs at least 1GB of RAM and preferably 2GB to run it and about 10GB of HD space so you need a powerful machine to run it.

DJ

Bill Gletsos
31-01-2007, 08:44 PM
This is for you Howard.

http://www.joyoftech.com/joyoftech/joyarchives/915.html

Basil
31-01-2007, 10:56 PM
** Lmao **

Desmond
13-03-2007, 10:01 PM
I have installed Vista Home Premium on this PC just now. Quite nice looking. A few obvious advantages that become apparent immediately, and looking forward to discovering more in my travels. :D

Basil
13-03-2007, 11:31 PM
I have installed Vista Home Premium on this PC just now. Quite nice looking. A few obvious advantages that become apparent immediately, and looking forward to discovering more in my travels. :D

I've got an early version of OSX. You can borrow that and see what you're in for! No, I'm not kidding.

In the meantime:
http://66.225.202.210/journals/apple.ars/2006/10/09/5550

I'm off to look for the Vista one ... (in PC speak of course)

Basil
13-03-2007, 11:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyGUrPxG1iM

Just give Brian 3 weeks ... and he'll be pining like a puppy

Garvinator
13-03-2007, 11:42 PM
I was wondering what had happened with all the promotion for Vista. Hadnt heard much about it recently and was starting to think that it was much ado about nothing because people werent going on and on about how good Vista is.

Trent Parker
13-03-2007, 11:44 PM
and here i am still using Microsoft ME!!!!

Desmond
14-03-2007, 05:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyGUrPxG1iM

Just give Brian 3 weeks ... and he'll be pining like a puppy:lol:

Desmond
14-03-2007, 05:11 PM
I was wondering what had happened with all the promotion for Vista. Hadnt heard much about it recently and was starting to think that it was much ado about nothing because people werent going on and on about how good Vista is.Well, slow adoption should not be a surprise. Most people expect that there will be massive flaws, and would rather someone else is the guinea pig.

Basil
14-03-2007, 05:15 PM
Sub edited for clarity ...

Well, slow adoption should not be a surprise. Most people expect that there will be [the odd glitch in a new MAC OS] but massive flaws [WITH WINDOWS (it's the benefit of having a global monopoly on a substandard product)], and would rather someone else is the guinea pig.

Desmond
14-03-2007, 05:20 PM
Sub edited for clarity ...

Well, slow adoption should not be a surprise. Most people expect that there will be [the odd glitch in a new MAC OS] but massive flaws [WITH WINDOWS (it's the benefit of having a global monopoly on a substandard product)], and would rather someone else is the guinea pig.Of course, the fact that I was online a matter of minutes after installing [Mac users: please disregard unknown term] Vista should go some way to show that said massive flaws are imaginary.

Basil
14-03-2007, 06:23 PM
That's excellent you're on-line within minutes.

It seems that everytime Microsoft crib a concept, the PC users want to talk about it. But until the idea is cribbed, it's dismissed as nothing :eek:

Unless you can point me to billions of PC users saying:

-- why does my box look like a child's gaming machine and not a piece gorgeous sculpture?
-- why does my maqchine suck a image and video-editing?
-- why is my box riddled with glitches/ spam/ bla blah?
-- why do I have to get a patch every two weeks? :hmm:

No.

But I'll wait a few more years, and you'll be saying:

-- hey dudes. look at this! this mnachine is gorgeous!
-- hey dudes. spam free!
-- hey dudes. etc etc..

Anyway, glad you plugged in immediately. Missed you!

BTW - did you have to get Vista authorisation to make that post! ;)

Garvinator
14-03-2007, 06:27 PM
-- why do I have to get a patch every two weeks? :hmm:
On this one I think part of the problem is that there are many more people trying to expose potential flaws in the Microsoft programs. Be it anti-americanism, anti Bill Gates etc.

Garvinator
14-03-2007, 06:29 PM
Well, slow adoption should not be a surprise. Most people expect that there will be massive flaws, and would rather someone else is the guinea pig.
So Mr Guinea Pig,

I have seen windows vista upgrade for $175 or so in stores. So far, do you think it is worth that much?

Yes, I am aware that you may not have paid for your upgrade version ;)

Desmond
14-03-2007, 06:47 PM
-- why does my box look like a child's gaming machine and not a piece gorgeous sculpture?Because I am a child, and it is my gaming machine.

-- why does my maqchine suck a image and video-editing?because it is more focused on spell-checking.

-- why is my box riddled with glitches/ spam/ bla blah?Because malware creators already feel sorry for Mac users.

-- why do I have to get a patch every two weeks? :hmm: Helps with nicotine withdrawls apparently.

Desmond
14-03-2007, 07:00 PM
So Mr Guinea Pig,

I have seen windows vista upgrade for $175 or so in stores. So far, do you think it is worth that much?

Yes, I am aware that you may not have paid for your upgrade version ;)What will $175 buy me?
A weekender tournament entry and one night accomadation.
Dinner for four people.
Ticket to a music festival and a tshirt to take home.
A more secure operating system that if it prevents one crash will save me several hours/days/weeks of immense frustration, loss of potentially irreplaceable files/photos, etc etc etc.

I'll take the tshirt thanks. Black.

pax
15-03-2007, 09:36 AM
Unless you can point me to billions of PC users saying:

-- why does my box look like a child's gaming machine and not a piece gorgeous sculpture?

Yeah, Macs look great. But the problem is they all look like macs. So if you don't want something that looks like a piece of minimalist feng shui wank, you're a bit stuck.

What if I want a mac that looks like this:
http://www.technoskop.de/_img/shuttle-xpc-barebone-sn26p.jpg
or this:
http://www.bit-tech.net/content_images/silverstone_lc16m_htpc/1.jpg
or this:
http://www.ixbt.com/short/images/oqo_model02_hand_vista.jpg
or this:
http://pics.computerbase.de/1/4/5/9/1/1_m.jpg

Basil
15-03-2007, 09:58 AM
*ahem* They look revolting. I assume you are aware of that. However, if you're being serious and you actually like them, then we're both winners!

pax
15-03-2007, 02:15 PM
*ahem* They look revolting. I assume you are aware of that. However, if you're being serious and you actually like them, then we're both winners!

The fact you don't like them is entirely beside the point. There are thousands of great form factors for PCs - you can take your pick. There are about three form factors for Macs - it's great that you happen to like them, but there is no choice in the matter if you didn't. The latest iMac is ugly as hell if you ask me..

Desmond
15-03-2007, 02:40 PM
http://alienware.com/

Trent Parker
16-03-2007, 04:02 AM
lol funny sendup of the ads :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuVjpZtXGME&NR

Trent Parker
16-03-2007, 04:02 AM
lol funny sendup of the ads :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuVjpZtXGME&NR

Bill Gletsos
18-03-2007, 11:01 PM
This is classic.

http://moishelettvin.blogspot.com/2006/11/windows-shutdown-crapfest.html

Basil
18-03-2007, 11:21 PM
Surprise Factor = zero
Enjoyment Factor = moderate
Use of "PC Experience" term in the editorial factor = priceless!

antichrist
19-03-2007, 11:45 AM
My vdu moniter whatever has been to a happy clappies revival, a lot of tooing and shaking recently, and now has gone gay pink just like those "white" chess pieces 5 years ago.

Any hints?

Does it mean that I am also going gay/pinkie? (NNTIAWWT)

ElevatorEscapee
19-03-2007, 05:23 PM
You don't have the speakers nearby by any chance (or other magnetic field)? If so, try moving them away.

Otherwise, might be the flyback transformer... these things wear out after a number of years.

Desmond
09-04-2007, 06:55 PM
Microsoft still doesn't know what a pdf file is. :wall: POS :wall:

Desmond
14-04-2007, 09:56 AM
IE7 can die in a fire.

I've gone back to Mozilla.

Southpaw Jim
14-04-2007, 09:29 PM
IE7 can die in a fire.

I've gone back to Mozilla.

Why did you ever leave?? :wall: :wall: :P

Basil
07-06-2007, 01:42 AM
How many patches, Barry? You're a good man for sharing.

Rincewind
07-06-2007, 09:05 AM

I don't know much about Apple but I would hope they offer some way to receive security patches online.

This is also a bit off topic as I'm running XP.

Basil
07-06-2007, 11:31 AM
I don't know much about Apple but I would hope they offer some way to receive security patches online.

This is also a bit off topic as I'm running XP.
They do. The inbuilt app. 'Software Update' can be set to 'check manually' or 'check every {select your schedule}'

The comp checks remotely with the Apple site 'in the background' and advises via a pop-up window if there are updates. A list will appear with a description and the user elects to update or not. The install process is entirely automated with nothing appearing on the desktop and no user clicks, drags, drops or any other such. The user keeps doing whatever they doing while the process happens. Sometimes a reboot will be required afterwards.

None of these are mission critical; invariably security improvements (on an already secure system) or simply functionality enhancements for movie players or the browser or similar.

It's an experience to behold (or be unaware of) as they case may be.

pax
07-06-2007, 11:49 AM
They do. The inbuilt app. 'Software Update' can be set to 'check manually' or 'check every {select your schedule}'

The comp checks remotely with the Apple site 'in the background' and advises via a pop-up window if there are updates. A list will appear with a description and the user elects to update or not. The install process is entirely automated with nothing appearing on the desktop and no user clicks, drags, drops or any other such. The user keeps doing whatever they doing while the process happens. Sometimes a reboot will be required afterwards.

None of these are mission critical; invariably security improvements (on an already secure system) or simply functionality enhancements for movie players or the browser or similar.

It's an experience to behold (or be unaware of) as they case may be.

That sounds pretty much identical to the way software updates work in Windows. Not that I'm defending Microsnot or anything, but what's your point?

p.s I'll tell you what bugs the hell out of me though - when Windows has installed an update and requires a reboot you cannot minimise the window or tell it that you will reboot later..

Basil
07-06-2007, 11:56 AM
That sounds pretty much identical to the way software updates work in Windows. Not that I'm defending Microsnot :) or anything, but what's your point?
No point. I was just answering Baz's query.

pax
07-06-2007, 02:37 PM
No point. I was just answering Baz's query.

Ah, but you did ask a leading question:

Basil
07-06-2007, 03:17 PM
Ah, but you did ask a leading question:
I did. My rationale was that this was an open thread for all commentators on Vista without any requisite predisposition to be 'nice'.

This is distinct from the secret boys' club I am hoping to maintain on the mac lovers thread :hmm:

I was prompting Barry in the hope he would share the same miserable news here that he shared in the SB a couple of nights ago; viz he couldn't do something at that particular moment because he was downloading innumerate patches for Vista.

I thought my leading (miserably intentioned :P) question was fair game as it seems even mac doubters and loathers are happy dissing the PC environment (as they see fit and when warranted).

Desmond
20-12-2007, 08:42 PM
Wanna know who is Vista's biggest rival according to ARN (http://www.arnnet.com.au/index.php/id;623429214).

Hint: They don't grow on trees.

Kruupy
21-12-2007, 09:32 AM
lol at vista.
especially lol at macs, gunner..

That is all.

Mephistopheles
24-12-2007, 09:49 PM
And this thread has turned into another tedious MacOS versus Windows slagfest.

Three words - I don't care.

I'm more interested in whether Vista provides a better experience than XP did and my current opinion is that it does not. The disappearing menus are garbage. That is my chief criticism. There are other things that have increased the fiddliness of XP that annoy me deeply (TCP/IP network configuration is one of them) but they're not insurmountable problems.

They've managed to make it look nice, which is an accusation that could never have been made of XP but the usability of it doesn't seem to be even remotely superior.

Comparing it to MacOS is a pointless exercise because they are not really direct competitors. MacOS is there for a certain kind of person and Windows is for the rest of 'em. I happen to be in the former camp but I still see enough of Windows to know that XP still has the jump on Vista right now. I can honestly hope that MS rethink a few of their design decisions and they'll end up with something that isn't really as elegant as MacOS but works as well as XP (which is pretty damned well).

AzureBlue
07-12-2008, 09:10 AM
Vista has quite an amazing look, but it's harder to get around, in my opinion. Maybe I'm just not used to it.

ER
07-12-2008, 09:32 AM
go through the tutorials, it's a good reliable program. A friend is very happy with it!

Igor_Goldenberg
08-12-2008, 09:19 AM
I've been using Vista for the last year (and 64bit to add insult to the injury:D )
Generally speaking it's alright, the rumours of the problems are greatly exaggerated.
If you have XP installed, don't rush with the upgrade. If you are getting a new computer or doing complete reinstall, don't be afraid to put Vista.

MichaelBaron
08-12-2008, 11:05 AM
And this thread has turned into another tedious MacOS versus Windows slagfest.

Three words - I don't care.

I'm more interested in whether Vista provides a better experience than XP did and my current opinion is that it does not. The disappearing menus are garbage. That is my chief criticism. There are other things that have increased the fiddliness of XP that annoy me deeply (TCP/IP network configuration is one of them) but they're not insurmountable problems.

They've managed to make it look nice, which is an accusation that could never have been made of XP but the usability of it doesn't seem to be even remotely superior.

Comparing it to MacOS is a pointless exercise because they are not really direct competitors. MacOS is there for a certain kind of person and Windows is for the rest of 'em. I happen to be in the former camp but I still see enough of Windows to know that XP still has the jump on Vista right now. I can honestly hope that MS rethink a few of their design decisions and they'll end up with something that isn't really as elegant as MacOS but works as well as XP (which is pretty damned well).

One advantage that many of us attribute to XP is "user-frienliness" but this is probably due to the fact that XP is something we are more familiar with. I agree with JAK that going through Vista tutorials will certainly help.

I doubt that people who are not IT professionals/fans really care whether they have Visa or XP installed on their computers. For majority of users, the differences are insignificant.

Mephistopheles
08-12-2008, 11:32 AM
Actually, I've revised my opinion after hearing tale after tale of woe from people who upgraded from XP. Well, not so much upgraded as moved from a PC running XP to one running Vista.

On the basis of my anecdotal experience (second-hand as it is) and the issues that are well documented and understood, Vista is MS's new Me. Buggy, deeply flawed and ultimately pointless, it shall rest upon the scrapheap as soon as Windows 7 is released. No enterprise that I know of has adopted it and I would wager that very few will do so owing to the fact that it is an unmitigated pile of excrement.

Trent Parker
08-12-2008, 02:41 PM
Dont hold back now..

I like Vista. I use it on my laptop.

Rincewind
08-12-2008, 02:57 PM
The main issue with me is backward compatibility. Perhaps this is not Vista's fault per se but there are many applications which don't run on Vista unless you upgrade to a newer Vista ready version. So when most of the applications I use run on Vista it won't be an issue but until then I'll be happily using XP.

eclectic
08-12-2008, 04:02 PM
The main issue with me is backward compatibility. Perhaps this is not Vista's fault per se but there are many applications which don't run on Vista unless you upgrade to a newer Vista ready version. So when most of the applications I use run on Vista it won't be an issue but until then I'll be happily using XP.

with my computer i am happy with XP too and will simply hold out until Windows 7 before i decide on whether or not i shall buy a new one

Space_Dude
08-12-2008, 09:31 PM
$10 HCDs

Yes, that would be Windows 2009 due out in 2011 ;)
Shouldnt that be Window 2011?

Southpaw Jim
10-12-2008, 10:34 AM
All I've seen of Vista I don't like. Little or nothing added in the way of functionality, but greater required system specs... for what? More Micro$oft bloatware.

A friend's laptop bought a year ago with Vista pre-installed runs like a dog. Granted, it's a relatively low spec laptop, but it shouldn't come preinstalled with a resource pig like Vista if that's the case. XP should continue to be an option.

If it weren't for the fact that they've paid for Vista, I'd upgrade them to XP.

Miranda
10-12-2008, 11:04 AM
I'm using Vista at the moment and would be more than happy to throw this computer off a cliff. And watch it smash into little pieces. heh.

Desmond
10-12-2008, 11:05 AM
I'm more interested in whether Vista provides a better experience than XP did and my current opinion is that it does not.Having used it for nearly 2 years, I tend to agree. I will probably go back to XP some time, if I can find my round tuit.

Southpaw Jim
10-12-2008, 11:15 AM
I'm using Vista at the moment and would be more than happy to throw this computer off a cliff. And watch it smash into little pieces. heh.
Lol, maybe you should switch (back) to Mac :P

arosar
09-01-2009, 03:49 PM
Check this out: http://www.xkcd.com/528/

AR

AzureBlue
10-01-2009, 06:09 PM
LOL I pretty much agree.
Even though I don't have a Vista as my computer (gladly), I've tried it on my Mum's laptop and its way too hard to get around. Id much prefer XP. :)

Davidflude
10-01-2009, 08:47 PM
I am currently backing up everything in sight as well as downloading up to date copies of all progams that I have downloaded from the net plus up to date drivers. So far I have backed up all crucial files. Tomorrow I download programs plus drivers.

My box goes to the menders on Monday.

1) I am getting a horrible rumbling sound when I turn on my computer.

2) I turn it off start again and the rumbling stops.

3) things seem slower than usual.

4) I am getting a message about overclocking which I have never used in my life.

Hopefully it is one of the fans and not the hard disk.

My printer which is due for replacement appears to have finally collapsed.

I asked the guy in the shop whether I should go to the 64 bit version of XP and he said no.

I am very tempted to install a second hard drive. Then I can copy one drive to the other as an easy backup system.

Has anyone any thoughts.

Ian Murray
10-01-2009, 09:24 PM
...I am very tempted to install a second hard drive. Then I can copy one drive to the other as an easy backup system.

Has anyone any thoughts.
Hi David

Cheaper and a long-term solution is an off-site automatic backup service. I use Carbonite - I've sent you an email about it

Best

Ian

Ian Murray
10-01-2009, 10:22 PM
====================

[J] [E] [N] [N] [Y]
====================

That sig of yours is a tad garish, Scarlet - do you think you could scale it down a bit?

ER
11-01-2009, 01:25 AM
That sig of yours is a tad garish, Scarlet - do you think you could scale it down a bit?

I actually like it, it's like a bright decoration! Not as effective and aesthetically pleasing as my Man Un emblem of course, but I still think it adds to the whole ambiance! :)
CAGLES

Ian Murray
11-01-2009, 09:54 AM
I actually like it, it's like a bright decoration! Not as effective and aesthetically pleasing as my Man Un emblem of course, but I still think it adds to the whole ambiance! :)
CAGLES

There's no accounting for taste (in football clubs to support, that is) :)

AzureBlue
12-01-2009, 03:27 PM
CAGLES
Lol Thanks! =] :) :) :) :P

Davidflude
13-01-2009, 10:03 PM
I am currently backing up everything in sight as well as downloading up to date copies of all progams that I have downloaded from the net plus up to date drivers. So far I have backed up all crucial files. Tomorrow I download programs plus drivers.

My box goes to the menders on Monday.

1) I am getting a horrible rumbling sound when I turn on my computer.

2) I turn it off start again and the rumbling stops.

3) things seem slower than usual.

4) I am getting a message about overclocking which I have never used in my life.

Hopefully it is one of the fans and not the hard disk.

My printer which is due for replacement appears to have finally collapsed.

I asked the guy in the shop whether I should go to the 64 bit version of XP and he said no.

I am very tempted to install a second hard drive. Then I can copy one drive to the other as an easy backup system.

Has anyone any thoughts.

1) main problem was power supply. The fan was failing but it was easier and better to install a new and more powerful power supply.

2) second problem was a corrupted bios.

Space_Dude
14-01-2009, 11:23 PM
they say that win xp is better then win vista... why?

Rincewind
15-01-2009, 08:42 AM

Win XP requires less resources, has less bugs and works with more applications. Apart from that they are practically identical.

AzureBlue
23-01-2009, 10:09 AM
Easier to get around in my opinion. And it's just awesome!
I got a new PC and it's XP (finally got rid of the windows 2000 LOL)! Yay :)

ares
04-02-2009, 09:02 PM
xp is way better than vista
vista takes to long to respond when ur doing something that doesnt require the graphical side of things