PDA

View Full Version : John Howard visits Iraqi warzone

chesslover
26-04-2004, 06:11 PM
John "Man of Steel" Howard, returned back to Australia today after his visit to see the Australian troops in Iraq for ANZAC day.

He took with him Peter Cosgrove. Peter is rapidly becoming a unabashed politicised Chief of the Armed Forces, and parrots whatever Johnny says dutifully. When AFP chief Bill Kelty, said that Australia was even more of a target after Iraq, John blasted Kelty. Then John had Cosgrove repeat the Howard line that Australia was not more of a target due to Iraq.

This trip could be a cynical grab for votes. The Daily Tele had a very funny cartton today where a man asks Howard why he went to Iraq, and Howard says "I plararised it from an American President" :lol: Wonderful witty reference to Latham's plagarism of CLinton's speech, and Howard trying to emulate President Bush's thanksgiving day trip to Iraq.

But will the trip succeeed in Howard getting more admirers and votes???? or will people think it is a cynical vote grabbing approach????

Kevin Bonham
26-04-2004, 09:45 PM
This trip could be a cynical grab for votes.

Hell yeah. When Bush did it, it was actually surprising but this time it was just so predictable. Especially as Howard's agenda (use it to push for longer stay in Iraq, cf. Latham's "out by Xmas" line) in visiting was so obvious.

But will the trip succeeed in Howard getting more admirers and votes???? or will people think it is a cynical vote grabbing approach????

Alas I think it will work in his favour and was clever politics, those likely to see it as cynical are already overwhelmingly against him anyway. (I voted no change in my voting intentions because the chance of me giving the Liberals so much as a useful preference is already vanishingly small.)

Oepty
27-04-2004, 11:42 AM
I voted for no change because I don't vote in government elections because of religous reasons.
Scott

arosar
27-04-2004, 05:06 PM
I voted for no change because I don't vote in government elections because of religous reasons.
Scott

FMD! What religious reasons now? Some of youse blokes need more lessons in civic duty than catechism.

AR

antichrist
28-04-2004, 04:12 PM
FMD! What religious reasons now? Some of youse blokes need more lessons in civic duty than catechism.

AR

I think we should have a worldwide vote to see which god we follow, so no more religious wars etc. If a few gods appear and have a starwars amongst themselves so be it. I would not put my money on the Trinity because sometimes the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing. But the Jewish unitarian model is outnumbered. The Hindus with millions of gods must be the favourites.

antichrist
07-01-2011, 08:23 PM
During WW2 a German mother wrote to her son that this war is wrong and that one day Germany will have to pay for it.

I have not heard that said from any of any Australian soldier's mothers about the Iraqi war that their sons are participating in.

Capablanca-Fan
08-01-2011, 03:18 AM
During WW2 a German mother wrote to her son that this war is wrong and that one day Germany will have to pay for it.

I have not heard that said from any of any Australian soldier's mothers about the Iraqi war that their sons are participating in.
And rightly so, since Australian soldiers freed Iraq from a mass-murdering despot who had used weapons of mass destruction on his own people. German soldiers were fighting for a mass-murdering despot.

Capablanca-Fan
08-01-2011, 03:20 AM
I think we should have a worldwide vote to see which god we follow, so no more religious wars etc.
But there would still have been the vast majority of wars, e.g. Hutu-Tutsi war in Rwanda, Falklands War, Vietnam and Korean Wars, WW2, WW1, Gran Chaco War in South America, Russo-Japanese War, Spanish-American War, Prussian-French War, Crimean War, US Civil War, Napoleonic wars, Wars of the Roses, Mongol wars, Gallic War, Punic wars, Peloponesian War, Assyrian wars