PDA

View Full Version : Home and away effects

Kevin Bonham
23-04-2004, 11:51 PM
(No this isn't about the TV show, enjoyment of which causes your rating to drop by 300 points per ratings period and ultimately forces you to switch to bingo or worse.)

I'm curious about whether people here think they play better in local tournaments or when "on the road".

My definition of "home" is within an environment where you don't need to travel far and know most of the players, such as your own club or a weekender hosted by your own club (or maybe at least in your city.)

My definition of "away" is a tournament you need to stay away from home overnight to play in. Ideally in another state or maybe at the other end of your own.

Which, if any, do you play better in - home events or away events. I'm not asking which you enjoy, just which do you feel is best for your game?

Some points to consider:

Familiarity - for some players, knowing your opponents is an advantage, leading to better preperation for their kind of game. For others, travelling exposes you to opponents who don't know you so well and that can be an advantage (unless your regular opponents are afraid of you.)

Conditions - you may have a view about conditions in your home environment, you may be suited/unsuited to the time controls often used there or the prevailing attitudes of players.

Travel - some players find travelling stressful, with all the organising a place to stay / driving / staying in noisy hotels / different climate / trying to find somewhere decent to eat it can entail. Others find their game is refreshed by playing in a new environment.

Alan Shore
24-04-2004, 12:18 AM
Without a doubt, away events. In fact, I think all of my biggest rating increases are in events where I've had to take a trip (Newcastle '01, Hervey Bay '02 and Glenelg '03). On all occasions I've had a really good time, catching up with friends I haven't seen in ages. Perhaps because of the holiday-type atmosphere I'm more relaxed and play better? All I can do is theorise, it's still a bit of a mystery to me.

PHAT
24-04-2004, 07:49 AM
What is the point of this thread? [b]IF[/i] there is a home/away effect, will Glicko 3 have it built in? [snip] We cannot even get the under-rated juniors problem fixed. :lol:

Kevin Bonham
24-04-2004, 03:09 PM
Matt, if you read my reply to frogmogdog's post on the Improving Juniors thread you'll see where I'm coming from. Home vs away effects - if they exist - make it very difficult to measure differences between pools and hence flag regions that might be inflated/deflated (if any). If you knew all players performed the same at home as away you could just look at cases where players from region A played those from region B and never mind wheree they played. But I suspect location is a relevant variable - one way or the other.

This thread won't answer whether home/away effects exist. But if the feeling of players is very strongly one way or the other, that at least gives a hint about what to look for and why.

Garvinator
24-04-2004, 04:45 PM
In my opinion the differences are:

Playing at home venue/club:

1) Familiarity of venue, a player get used to the conditions at their club. They know what to expect. This enables you to feel comfortable cause you know what to expect and how to prepare. You know where the toilets are, where the drinks are located, so you dont have to worry about where they are. All this small stuff helps as it reduces outside concerns.

2) Knowledge of home opponents- can be good or bad dependant on experiences with said opponents. As Kevin touched on, each player will try openings that he/she thinks has worked before. This practice may not reveal a players true playing 'strength' though.

Playing away at important tournaments:

3) A player who has to travel to an important tournament, in my opinion, will take that tournament alot more seriously than playing at home. that player will have to at least travelled, not even mentioning booking accommodation etc.

4) At said large important tournaments, there is usually a special feeling of tension and excitement in the playing hall and with self that does not exist at home club tournaments. Some players thrive of this feeling, others wilt with the same feeling.

I am sure there are more factors, if anyone cares to expand, feel free :)

Alan Shore
24-04-2004, 04:54 PM
Then again, it's possible in some states the players are just overrated.. perhaps that's why I play so well away :p

Rincewind
24-04-2004, 05:23 PM
Then again, it's possible in some states the players are just overrated.. perhaps that's why I play so well away :p

The could be some disparity between regional areas. Particularly the more remote, like Perth, for example. The Eastern seaboard from Brisbane around through to Adelaide (probably) would have the most consistent rating strengths, I would think. Due to reasonable interfaces between the pools.

Kevin Bonham
24-04-2004, 05:52 PM
I goosed the poll up by carelessly voting "don't know" without bothering to check the data empirically. :doh: :oops:

Looking at my performances in solo weekenders (not interclubs) since 1996, I would classify them as follows:

Home: 3 excellent, 3 good, 2 average, 7 bad, 1 very bad, total 16
Away: 4 excellent, 2 good, 3 average, 3 bad, 1 abysmal beyond belief, total 13.

Or, on a score of 0 (very bad) to 4 (excellent) with a lenient -1 for a.b.b. my average is 2.0 at home but 2.31 away. Very probably not stat. sig. but it does seem I was too influenced by my last horror road trip where I performed 550 pts below my rating and hence ignored a generally good record out of town.

Alan Shore
24-04-2004, 05:57 PM
I goosed the poll up by carelessly voting "don't know" without bothering to check the data empirically. :doh: :oops:

Looking at my performances in solo weekenders (not interclubs) since 1996, I would classify them as follows:

Home: 3 excellent, 3 good, 2 average, 7 bad, 1 very bad, total 16
Away: 4 excellent, 2 good, 3 average, 3 bad, 1 abysmal beyond belief, total 13.

Or, on a score of 0 (very bad) to 4 (excellent) with a lenient -1 for a.b.b. my average is 2.0 at home but 2.31 away. Very probably not stat. sig. but it does seem I was too influenced by my last horror road trip where I performed 550 pts below my rating and hence ignored a generally good record out of town.

A pity about that outlier of yours possibly skewing the data, hehe. Which tourn was the shocker?

Kevin Bonham
24-04-2004, 06:16 PM
A pity about that outlier of yours possibly skewing the data, hehe. Which tourn was the shocker?

Why that would be this year's Tassie Championships unfortunately. I chucked rooks to Lewis (1566) and Ledger (1611) (time scramble and fairly obvious trap respectively) and then almost lost from a won position and had to grovel a draw against Martin (1467).

Expected rating damage: 100 points. :wall: