PDA

View Full Version : ANU Open 2004

arosar
22-04-2004, 09:54 AM
I seemed to have thrown out the flyers as I was cleaning out me backpack. Could any of youse ACT folks please post the details here.

Cheers . . .

AR

Ian Rout
22-04-2004, 07:18 PM
Leaflet distributed at Doeberl (which is all I know):

2004 ANU OPEN
Saturday 24 & Sunday 25 July 2004
Category 3, Grand Prix Event 7 round Swiss, Ihr + I0s/move

Total prizes: $3000 First prize: $1000

Entry fee:
Before 16 July: $60 Adults, $40 Juniors/Concessions
After 16 July: $70 Adults, $50 Juniors/Concessions
GM, WGM, IM, WIM entrants can enter gratis

(GM lan Rogers is a confirmed entrant.)

Enquiries:
Shun Ikeda
E-mail Shun.Ikeda@anu.edu.au

shaun
18-05-2004, 03:48 PM
Just a quick update on the events on offer

July 20: National Computer Chess Championship
July 24-25: ANU Open
July 24-25: ACT Go Championships
July 25: ACT Backgammon Tournament

More details to come!

skip to my lou
18-05-2004, 07:02 PM
Can you give more details on Computer Chess Championships?

Is there a website with details?

shaun
19-05-2004, 09:37 AM
Details are here ;)
http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=637

shaun
25-05-2004, 09:30 AM
2004 Australian National University Open

Event Schedule

Tuesday 20 July: National Computer Chess Championships http://syseng.anu.edu.au/~shaun/chess
Friday 23 July: Blindfold Chess & Simul by GM Ian Rogers. Garema Place, Canberra City
Sat/Sun 24&25 July: ANU Open, School of Art, ANU
Sat/Sun 24&25 July: ACT Go Championship. School of Art, ANU
Sunday 25 July: ACT Backgammon Tournament, School of Art, ANU
Monday 26 July: ANU Primary Schools Championship, University House, ANU
Tuesday 27 July: ANU High School/College Championship, University House, ANU

The new venue of the open, ANU School of Art, is located quite close to the city. For those that played in the 2000/01 Aus Open, it is 1 block up from Rydges Hotel.

eclectic
25-05-2004, 10:43 AM
Sat/Sun 24&25 July: ANU Open, School of Art, ANU
The new venue of the open, ANU School of Art....

Shaun,

This isn't a subtle tactic to have chess considered by us devotees as more an Art than a Sport?

If we could have it recognised as such by the Australia Council perhaps we could then get tournament sponsorship in the guise of arts grants.

What was that European tournament recently where contestants had to do life drawings of the sponsor's dogs to decide seedings?

The link between chess and art is not trivial...

"... not all artists are chessplayers, but all chessplayers are artists ..."
- Marcel Duchamp

Duchamp, one the icons of modern art, abandoned his practice to play chess fulltime. He played a number of times for the French Olympiad team though his results suggest he should have stayed in his studio.

A link to an appropriate example of his art.

http://www.guggenheimcollection.org/site/artist_work_md_43_3.html

Who hasn't played or played over a game (or a study or problem) which has had conferred upon it the accolade ... "a work of art" ... or ... "an aesthetic masterpiece"?

The choice of the School of Art as the new venue is thus culturally and historically appropriate.

I trust that the School of Art galleries will be accessible and thus add to the ambience of the Open and to the festival as a whole.

I hope this new association between chess and art in Canberra will be a long and mutually beneficial one.

eclectic

Rincewind
25-05-2004, 10:52 AM
According to Alexei Sokolsky's Your First Move...

The Soviet Government conferred on A. Troitsky the title of Merited Art Worker in recognition of his outstanding contribution to endgame studies.

Over the board play seems to be more sport than art; in so far as those two are separable.

ursogr8
25-05-2004, 11:27 AM
Shaun,

This isn't a subtle tactic to have chess considered by us devotees as more an Art than a Sport?

If we could have it recognised as such by the Australia Council perhaps we could then get tournament sponsorship in the guise of arts grants.

What was that European tournament recently where contestants had to do life drawings of the sponsor's dogs to decide seedings?

- Marcel Duchamp

Duchamp, one the icons of modern art, abandoned his practice to play chess fulltime. He played a number of times for the French Olympiad team though his results suggest he should have stayed in his studio.

Who hasn't played or played over a game (or a study or problem) which has had conferred upon it the accolade ... "a work of art" ... or ... "an aesthetic masterpiece"?

The choice of the School of Art as the new venue is thus culturally and historically appropriate.

I trust that the School of Art galleries will be accessible and thus add to the ambience of the Open and to the festival as a whole.

I hope this new association between chess and art in Canberra will be a long and mutually beneficial one.

eclectic
eclectic

I notice from the Womens Wold Championship web-site
a Welcome message of Russian President Mr.Putin

I welcome the participants and guests of the Women’s World Chess Championship 2004!

Your prestigious Championship is a remarkable event in the international calendar of sports. And the fact that this tournament is held in Russia shows the recognition of the high level of the Russian chess school, its contribution to the development of this ancient sporting art.

I am confident that the World Championship will remain in our memory as the most beautiful and intellectual battle as well as interesting friendly meeting that will contribute to the popularization of chess.

I wish to all the participants and guests of the Championship success, strong health and all the best.

Vladimir Putin
President of the Russian Federation

Looks like you are on a similar wavelength. ;)

starter

Bill Gletsos
25-05-2004, 12:36 PM
Shaun,

- Marcel Duchamp

eclectic
Not only that but there are a lot of scruffy looking artists.
Chessplayers should therefore fit right in. ;)

Kevin Bonham
25-05-2004, 06:23 PM
"... not all artists are chessplayers, but all chessplayers are artists ..." - Marcel Duchamp

I think that's more than a little bit generous - although some surprisingly weak players have told me that they play the game for the art value of it rather than aiming for competitive success, and that they enjoy the game so long as it is pretty.

I prefer his "Chess is the movement of pieces eating each other."

He did draw with Marshall, so he probably wasn't a total rabbit.

shaun
25-06-2004, 06:48 PM
Another addition to the event calendar

July 24 (Sat): ACT Othello Championships
Held at the same venue. More details to follow.

Alan Shore
25-06-2004, 07:45 PM
Another addition to the event calendar

July 24 (Sat): ACT Othello Championships
Held at the same venue. More details to follow.

Is that that game with the dots? I think it's also called 'Reversi' right?

Ian Rout
30-06-2004, 02:09 PM
Here is some more information about the ANU Open:

http://www.netspeed.com.au/ianandjan/IansPage/miscellaneous/2004ANUOpenInfo.htm

No list of accommodation options has been provided but if you change 2004 to 2003 in the above address the same options are probably still valid, though the prices may not be. Also please note that the round times are slightly different from last year.

shaun
30-06-2004, 03:07 PM
Othello (also known as Reversi) is a strategy game that many people know how to play since the rules are very simple. The game is played on a board with 64 squares (like a chessboard but all the squares are the same colour, usually green) and “reversible” discs which are black on one side and white on the other.

A move consists of placing a disc on a square in such a way that it “outflanks” the opponent’s discs which are then flipped over to your own colour. The winner of the game is the player with the majority of discs with his or her colour facing up on the board at the end.

The tournament will be played in five rounds (either round-robin or swiss pairings depending on number of participants). Time controls will be 20mns per player (a game cannot be longer than 40mns).

Date & Time : Saturday 24th July, 1pm (registration from 12:30pm to 1pm)

Entry fee : $5

Venue : ANU School of Art

arosar
30-06-2004, 03:26 PM
Wow!! Just booked me as.s on a $38 return flight cheap as . . . I'm a comin' down boys . . .

Now didn't the ANU have cheap dorms? Or are they only available in easter? I s'pose I'll have to plonk meself in a backpackers.

AR

Ian Rout
30-06-2004, 03:57 PM
They don't have dorms, ANU is a bit newer than that, though they do have rooms at ANU residences sometimes, see ANU Accommodation

http://accom.anu.edu.au/HomePage.asp

Alternatively the cheap city places mentioned for the Doeberl Cup

http://www.netspeed.com.au/ianandjan/IansPage/miscellaneous/2004DoeberlCupInfo.htm

e.g City Walk Hotel or the backpackers place, are within walking distance.

Garvinator
30-06-2004, 04:28 PM
Wow!! Just booked me as.s on a $38 return flight cheap as . . . I'm a comin' down boys . . .

Now didn't the ANU have cheap dorms? Or are they only available in easter? I s'pose I'll have to plonk meself in a backpackers.

AR
where are these tickets? how do i get one?

arosar
30-06-2004, 04:42 PM
....go to viginblue.com.au

Now, I'm actually flying in on 23/7 and out on 26/7. This is so I can take advantage of cheap flights. That's the only problem. But it's only costing me an extra night accomodation (on the 23rd).

Wanna stay over at City Walk?

AR

Garvinator
30-06-2004, 04:51 PM
....go to viginblue.com.au

Now, I'm actually flying in on 23/7 and out on 26/7. This is so I can take advantage of cheap flights. That's the only problem. But it's only costing me an extra night accomodation (on the 23rd).

Wanna stay over at City Walk?

AR
unfortunately the tickets are only sydney to canberra, not brissy to canberra. guess ill give it a miss then.

Ian Rout
30-06-2004, 06:12 PM
Othello (also known as Reversi) is a strategy game that many people know how to play since the rules are very simple. The game is played on a board with 64 squares (like a chessboard but all the squares are the same colour, usually green) and “reversible” discs which are black on one side and white on the other.

A move consists of placing a disc on a square in such a way that it “outflanks” the opponent’s discs which are then flipped over to your own colour. The winner of the game is the player with the majority of discs with his or her colour facing up on the board at the end.

The tournament will be played in five rounds (either round-robin or swiss pairings depending on number of participants). Time controls will be 20mns per player (a game cannot be longer than 40mns).

Date & Time : Saturday 24th July, 1pm (registration from 12:30pm to 1pm)

Entry fee : $5

Venue : ANU School of Art
I've edited the ANU Open info page to include a link with this information. I presume there is a legitimate ACT Othello governing body with authority to conduct a State Championship, though I have never heard of one. Does anybody know if there are masters or dans or whatever, and what is Australia's world ranking?

Ian Rout
03-07-2004, 04:47 PM
It has recently been announced that the ACT Backgammon Championship will also be held in conjunction with the ANU Open. Not a lot of other information is available but there is a link with a contact point at the ANU Open info page

http://www.netspeed.com.au/ianandjan/IansPage/miscellaneous/2004ANUOpenInfo.htm

arosar
22-07-2004, 11:37 AM
Hey fellas....fellas - how far is that City Backpackers on Akuna St from the venue?

AR

jenni
22-07-2004, 12:30 PM
Hey fellas....fellas - how far is that City Backpackers on Akuna St from the venue?

AR

I could walk it easily - maybe 10 minutes walk? perhaps 15 at the most.

arosar
23-07-2004, 08:49 PM
Landed. I see a coupla other chessists at this hostel. The Jamaican Chess Champ is here too. Naturally, he checked in other a false name! Not sure if he's playing at the ANU too. I'll ask him if I get a chance. Right now, I'm off to a hip-hop joint. See youse tomorrow.

Oh, what time I gotta rock up to the venue? 8.30AM right?

AR

arosar
24-07-2004, 01:55 AM
Woohoo!!! Canberra rocks!!

Such friendly peeps. I mean really friendly.

And the nightclub for the day, err...night, is....Shooters in the Melbourne building.

AR

Kerry Stead
24-07-2004, 02:07 AM
I've been to a few gigs in Canberra in my time ... Holy Grail and the Church were the venues ... The Church is underneath the City Backpackers I think Amiel ...
I'll have to check out Landspeed Records between rounds tomorrow ... plus I can see how much you're really into hip-hop!

arosar
24-07-2004, 07:53 AM
Yeah...Church is where I went to first mate. F**kin' charged me $15 cover charge. And the place wasn't that crash hot. Not too many chicks there mate. But they got them OK people there too - quite friendly. I'm standin' there near the pool tables right and this bloke comes up to me and asks if I wanna play doubles pool with them. So I said, "Yah, I wouldn't mind."

Now it musta been me skin tone cos he then asks me he says, "You know how to play this game dude?"

Of course what could I say but, "Nah mate....never played it."

"What you do mate is hit the small balls and they hit big balls", he says to me. I just stood there noddin' me head. You can just about guess what happened. I killed them!

AR

PHAT
24-07-2004, 11:50 AM
"What you do mate is hit the small balls and they hit big balls", he says to me. I just stood there noddin' me head. You can just about guess what happened. I killed them!

AR

Tsk Tsk Tsk. AR, you are s'posed to play like a unco then play them for money, win, and buy them a beer with your winnings.

shaun
24-07-2004, 05:20 PM
Just a quick update.
86 players Rogers, Bjelbork, Koehler (Ger), Xie top seeds

No big upsets, results to follow

arosar
24-07-2004, 08:57 PM
Tragedy has struck the tournament today. Disaster. A sad day for Aussies. I am too distraught. I shall leave it to the organisers to explain. Can't talk now. Bye.

AR

jenni
24-07-2004, 10:43 PM
Just a quick update.
86 players Rogers, Bjelbork, Koehler (Ger), Xie top seeds

No big upsets, results to follow

Shaun has a sense of humour? I think I prefer Amiel's version. :)

shaun
24-07-2004, 11:38 PM
My previous post was between Rd's 3 and 4. In Round 4 Koehler defeated Rogers and Wei defeated Xie. Leading scores after 4 rounds: Bjelobrk, Koehler, Wei 4. Stead, G.Oliver 3.5

jay_vee
25-07-2004, 12:30 AM
What is Koehler's first name? There are about 120 players named Koehler registered with the german chess fed.

Just curious :-)

arosar
25-07-2004, 08:30 AM
I believe the correct spelling is Koeller. It's Oliver Koeller - a visitor to our shores from Essen. He is travelling around Australia with the Jamaican Chess champ, Pablo Williams.

When I asked Koeller if Rogers had been his first ever GM scalp he paused for a moment and replied, "Yes, I think so." According to Koeller it seems that Rogers' 17...Kh8 was the losing error.

They played a Dragon.

AR

shaun
25-07-2004, 07:27 PM
Brief Results
=========
=1st Igor Bjelobrk, George Xie 6/7 (Bjelobrk won the trophy on countback)
=3rd Ian Rogers, Oliver Koeller, Ingela Eriksson, Michael Wei, Junta Ikeda 5.5

Ian Rout
25-07-2004, 07:30 PM
For the full table see

http://www.netspeed.com.au/ianandjan/IansPage/results/weekenders/2004ANUOpen.htm

arosar
25-07-2004, 08:02 PM
Loved it! Great tournament. I will say more with pics as soon as I have them digitised in a day or two. But make sure you keep an eye for them as we finally unmask our good mate, chesslover. Look out for that!!

AR

arosar
27-07-2004, 12:56 PM
Someone once suggested here to have a permanent home for the major tournaments (e.g. Aus Open). Well, after having played three tournaments down there - I think Canberra might just be that place. It's cheap and centrally located (well, between the only two states that matter anyway). And unlike upstart venues out there in the back of bloody Woop Woop, Canberra has enough hip and happenin' joints to keep a regular guy like me entertained.

More importantly - ACT folks do know a thing or two about organising successul events and the ANU Open was no exception. The venue was great, plenty of room, but not enough toilets it seems! I don't know what happened but there were women walking into where the blokes had a piss. Maybe with all the art works on the wall the directional signs got a bit confusing.

Let me tell you, they may not have their Jose's or Johny Bolens down there - but they certainly have a few 'funny' characters. For example, there's blokes who seem to feel a need to shout out their every 'CHECK' and every 'CHECKMATE' right across the playing hall. I also met Peter Hana's twin! He kept yapping at me during our game. Can you believe that? And how about this fella Sunny Yoon? What an appropriate name! In the last round, I happened to be playing a poor bugger who sounded like he had the first signs of TB. He was suffering that bloke. We were all getting a bit worried. So Sunny finally couldn't contain himself. He leans over and grabs my opponent's head and proceeded to administer what looked like some form of fancy Oriental massage therapy. Sunny pulled on the earlobes, pressed a bit on the forehead, massaged the neck area. I never saw anything like that in me life! All of us other blokes at that table were lookin' at this and just bursted out laughin'! Anyway, Sunny must have pressed too hard or somethin' on some nerve cos my opponent, in a completely won position, had a bit of an explosion and ended up losing! Thank God Sunny Yoon!

Anyways all - as promised, here are the pics. I've actually got a lot but these are the best. Anyone interested in these pics for printing, email me and I'll send you the original file. THe images you see here are web-optimised so they are not appropriate for printing.

THanks!

AR

arosar
27-07-2004, 01:05 PM
Let's start with tournament winner on countback, Igor Bjelobrk. Actually, he came equal first with Xie. The latter was insisting on a play-off even until the prize giving.

AR

arosar
27-07-2004, 01:07 PM
Bjelobrk in action! Igor is big fella but is really quite gentle and pretty shy. His acceptance speech was quite memorable though.

arosar
27-07-2004, 01:10 PM
The School of Art building. The first time I saw the place I immediately thought of the old Parliament House. There's plenty of room in and around the playing hall actually. There's a sort of balcony upstairs where they could easily have a bit of a barbie.

arosar
27-07-2004, 01:15 PM
The trophy. Let me say this about chess players compared to Go players. Not only do chess players look better, at least we can bloody well hold on to our trophies! The Go champ dropped his trophy as soon as he walked out the door!

arosar
27-07-2004, 01:17 PM
The playing hall. Not too spacious I suppose - but there's enough room here. And it's heated!

arosar
27-07-2004, 01:24 PM
The famous Jamaican Chess Champ. He began and ended his tournament by playing an Oliver. Gazza in the first round and Shannon in the last. I first met this bloke in Parr's shop, dragging along his suitcases and selling some books. Later he buskered around George St and made quite a bit of money. Some people would hand out $10 and even as high as $50!

By the second day, Dr Z made the surprising announcement that Pablo, Champion of Jamaica, has a Kiwi rating of 1459.

Ian Rout
27-07-2004, 01:30 PM
The School of Art building. The first time I saw the place I immediately thought of the old Parliament House.
If it doesn't look particularly arty, I believe the history is that it was originally Canberra High School (which presumably makes it the first high school in Canberra).

arosar
27-07-2004, 01:32 PM
The man who crushed our GM's hopes of a back-to-back title. Quite an unremarkable game - all standard stuff it seems. I do like Mr Koller's OTB behaviour though. He is calm and gentlemanly.

I hear he's travelling around Australia with our Jamaican mate. So look out for him in your next weekender!

arosar
27-07-2004, 01:32 PM
BRB...gotta go to lunch....more pics later.

AR

arosar
27-07-2004, 02:14 PM
That encounter. Don't you just wish you could wake up in the morning and say to yourself, "Today, I'm going to beat a grandmaster"?

arosar
27-07-2004, 02:22 PM
FM Lee Jones. He had a fantastic game against Grcic. Lee just whipped him - beautiful stuff. Unfortunately, Lee ran into the surging young talent Junta Ikeda in the last round and lost.

arosar
27-07-2004, 02:25 PM
Little boy wonder Junta Ikeda. He must surely be a future Olympian. The other thing that is of note about young Junta is that he behaves quite well OTB.

arosar
27-07-2004, 02:29 PM
Two of our future's best! Raymond Song (L) and Junta (R). Here we see them analysing a game. Here's hoping that these two lads will be super-GMs. I understand that Song is coached by GM Rogers.

arosar
27-07-2004, 02:33 PM
Raymond Song gives the thumbs up to sister, Angela for a job well done. Angela has just crushed our brother BBer, Kerry Stead. Raymond was quite restless during the game. He was running around and crawling under the tables, laughing quietly. He couldn't contain himself. Funny thing is, Raymond then had to play Kezza in the next game, a piece up in a complicated endgame and lost.

arosar
27-07-2004, 02:39 PM
ACF and NSWCA treasurer in action. He goes everywhere this Norm.

arosar
27-07-2004, 02:40 PM
Yet another who seems to get around a bit is this elegant young lass - Marie.

arosar
27-07-2004, 02:44 PM
Players and supporters eagerly checking out the first round match-ups.

arosar
27-07-2004, 02:46 PM
Post-mortem of Xie-Bljebork. George was quite mildly upset when Charles had informed him that Igor would take out the trophy. Xie suggested a 2-game play-off. Had there been one, I reckon he would have blitzed Igor easily.

arosar
27-07-2004, 02:51 PM
Strongest chesser of the Oliver siblings - Gareth Oliver. A gentleman player. I was very impressed with his behaviour. In his game against George Xie, he actually handed Xie the black Q as George promoted. Very rarely do you witness such gesture. Now while young Gareth is strongest player amongst his clan, Shannon is definitely best dressed and Tamzin the most well read. Tamzin just read and read and read . . . She and pal, Angela Song, seemed to be in some sort of readathon!

arosar
27-07-2004, 03:17 PM
The ANU Open ran along side 3 other games events: Go, backgammon and othello. Here we see one of the arbiters, Shaun Press, enjoying a game of backgammon. I think he basically expelled himself from the chess because his own cell phone rang out.

arosar
27-07-2004, 03:25 PM
FINALLY, you're all probably still waiting for the chesslover pic. Well I have it. But I ain't putting it up. This secret will remain with the ANU tourn organisers, myself, and our good mate, chesslover.

Besides, it's more delicious keeping a secret.

That's all folks. I've run out of attachment allocation space anyway. Next photo report is prolly Hobart weekender as I pay my good mate, Kevin Bonham a visit. Hopefully this bastard won't have me barred from the island by then!

AR

shaun
27-07-2004, 03:39 PM
The ANU Open ran along side 3 other games events: Go, backgammon and othello. Here we see one of the arbiters, Shaun Press, enjoying a game og backgammon. I think he basically expelled himself from the chess because his own cell phone rang out.

Indeed it did :(
Thanks for the photo report Amiel, an excellent job.

Btw the two handsome fellas in the background are Theos Rippis (on the right) and my father, John Press.

Duff McKagan
27-07-2004, 03:41 PM
Post-mortem of Xie-Bljebork. George was quite mildly upset when Charles had informed him that Igor would take out the trophy. Xie suggested a 2-game play-off. Had there been one, I reckon he would have blitzed Igor easily.
Nice to see two talented young FMs to be winning the event. One cannot help feel for George though. It's absolutely ridiculous that with the same score he doesn't share the trophy. So what if someone has a higher mathematical tie-break score? Due to the nature of the draw he has been assigned opponents and scored the same amount of points as his co-winner. Why should the draw punish him? A playoff is an option, but with an odd number of games. Even number matches are logically stupid (c.f. Bledisloe cup for another example). However this should be agreed to prior to the tournament beginning and may not apply here.

PHAT
27-07-2004, 03:57 PM
...So what if someone has a higher mathematical tie-break score? Due to the nature of the draw he has been assigned opponents and scored the same amount of points as his co-winner. Why should the draw punish him?

No no no. The only time that a play off should happen is if both players are on (n-0.5)/n and the draw was between them. Any other score means that they had their chance to go n/n but lost it.

PHAT
27-07-2004, 03:59 PM
Who is chesslover, you lousey swine. I'll kill you if you don't tell me, I mean it you embolism.

Duff McKagan
27-07-2004, 04:06 PM
No no no. The only time that a play off should happen is if both players are on (n-0.5)/n and the draw was between them. Any other score means that they had their chance to go n/n but lost it.

?? They are playing chess not maths! Why should the playoff be if
... both players are on (n-0.5)/n and the draw was between them. ??

The only maths you need to do is count their total score from the 7 rounds.

Bill Gletsos
27-07-2004, 04:20 PM
?? They are playing chess not maths! Why should the playoff be if ??

The only maths you need to do is count their total score from the 7 rounds.
Don't worry Duff. No sane individual like Shaun will be listening to Matt.

jenni
27-07-2004, 05:19 PM
Strongest chesser of the Oliver siblings - Gareth Oliver. A gentleman player. I was very impressed with his behaviour. In his game against George Xie, he actually handed Xie the black Q as George promoted. Very rarely do you witness such gesture. Now while young Gareth is strongest player amongst his clan, Shannon is definitely best dressed and Tamzin the most well read. Tamzin just read and read and read . . . She and pal, Angela Song, seemed to be in some sort of readathon!

I thought I was proud of Gareth when he drew with Ian Rogers at the weekend, but this comment makes me feel even prouder. :)

Shannon's reaction when I told her of the comment on her was "well duh!" and yes Tamzin and Angela do share a love of reading, dogs and many other things.

Thanks for the very interesting photo diary of the weekend!

jeffrei
27-07-2004, 05:38 PM
Drawing with Ian Rogers is a good effort! :clap: :clap: :clap:
I would very much like to see this game posted on the BB. Perhaps Gareth himself could be persuaded to transcribe it?

PS: Does anyone know if the ANU Open games are being archived in electronic format?

arosar
27-07-2004, 06:19 PM
PS: Does anyone know if the ANU Open games are being archived in electronic format?

I believe that they used those special double-sided scoresheets (or whatever you call 'em) for the top 10 (?) boards. So we should expect a notice here soon. From my memory of them, games to look out for are Xie-Bjelobrk, Jones-Grcic, Ikeda-Jones, Oliver-Rogers, Koeller-Rogers, Wei-Xie.

AR

arosar
27-07-2004, 06:34 PM
One last pic.

I think it is only proper that I should mention Ikeda-san. A hard-working chap and struck me as honourable. He seemed to be in charge of the logistics like the food supply. Well done with that indeed. Perhaps the Buller folks can enlist him for that role!

L-R: Dr Z, DOP. His only memorable challenge, I think, was a fellow who delayed play in the sixth round. Dr Z reminded all to ensure that results were reported on time and accurate. Our fellow, who will remain nameless, proceeded to argue loudly and claim that it was the arbiter's responsibility and not the players'! ACF Archivist, Paul Dunn who lost a fine miniature to Shannon Oliver. Mr Dunn got his move order all wrong and Shannon executed the finish brilliantly. Shaun Press, arbiter and Ikeda-san. They are all seen here preparing the cheques.

jenni
27-07-2004, 06:42 PM
One last pic.

I think it is only proper that I should mention Ikeda-san. A hard-working chap and struck me as honourable.

Shun is a wonderful man with all the Japanese politeness and courtesy. He is very active in the Junior Chess League and is rapidly becoming an asset to adult chess as well.

The food was predominantly organised by Mirabelle Guo - the ACTJCL and ANU have "outsourced" our canteen to Mirabelle in 2004 and she is using the proceeds to send her daughter Emma (the current Australian under 10 girls champion), to the World youth in Greece.

jenni
27-07-2004, 06:46 PM
Drawing with Ian Rogers is a good effort! :clap: :clap: :clap:
I would very much like to see this game posted on the BB. Perhaps Gareth himself could be persuaded to transcribe it?

?

I'll see if I can find it - Gareth's games have a nasty habit of going missing or being shredded in the wash!

However I am pretty sure Charles Z was entering games from the top boards on his laptop, so these might be available soon.

arosar
27-07-2004, 06:53 PM
There is something else about our mate the Jamaican Chess Champ that bothered me. It's had me restless! Quite disturbing. It seems he got me in trouble with jenni!! As I don't know the complete set of facts - then I cannot make any comment on it. However, I think I know the true source of such rumours.

AR

Rincewind
28-07-2004, 07:40 AM
As I don't know the complete set of facts - then I cannot make any comment on it.

When has ignorance ever inhibited you? Spill the beans!

Or is this another beatup like the 'CL unplugged' debacle?

Kerry Stead
28-07-2004, 09:17 AM
Raymond Song gives the thumbs up to sister, Angela for a job well done. Angela has just crushed our brother BBer, Kerry Stead. Raymond was quite restless during the game. He was running around and crawling under the tables, laughing quietly. He couldn't contain himself. Funny thing is, Raymond then had to play Kezza in the next game, a piece up in a complicated endgame and lost.

Thanks for the photo report Amiel ... although I can't agree with your comments about my games against the Song's ... I've put all my games up in the games section of the BB ...
I think Paul Dunn is the one who has the task of archiving the games - not only is he the ACF archivist, but I think he was the one who I saw walking out with a pile of scoresheets!
Have to agree with your comments regarding the tournament generally though - well run, as most chess things are in Canberra!

Ian_Rogers
28-07-2004, 09:58 AM
Oliver,G - Rogers,I
Canberra ANU Open (5), 25.07.2004

1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 d5 3.c4 c6 4.Nc3 dxc4 5.a4 Bg4 6.Ne5 Bh5 7.Nxc4 e6 8.g3 Na6 9.Bg2 Nb4 10.0-0 a5 11.Qd2 Be7 12.b3 0-0 13.Bb2 Qc7 14.Na2 Nxa2 15.Rxa2 Nd5 16.e4 Nb4 17.Raa1 Rfd8 18.Rac1 Bf6 19.f4 c5 20.d5 Bxb2 21.Nxb2 f5 22.Qf2 exd5 23.Rxc5 Qf7 24.exd5 Nxd5 25.Nc4 Nb4 26.Rxa5 Rac8 27.Rb5 Nd3 28.Qb6 Be2 29.Nd6 Rxd6 30.Qxd6 Qe8 31.Bd5+ Kh8 32.Qe6 Bxf1 33.Qxe8+ Rxe8 34.Kxf1 Re1+ 35.Kg2 Re2+ 36.Kf3 Rxh2 37.Rxb7 g6 38.a5 Ra2 39.b4 Ra3 40.Ke2 Nxb4 41.Rxb4 Rxa5 42.Bb3 Ra1 43.Rb8+ Kg7 44.Rb7+ Kh8 45.Kf3 Rf1+ 46.Kg2 Rb1 47.Bd5 Rd1 48.Rd7 Rd2+ 49.Kh3 Rb2 50.Kh4 h6 51.Kh3 g5 52.fxg5 Draw

arosar
28-07-2004, 10:00 AM
The food was predominantly organised by Mirabelle Guo . . .

Aahh...of course! How could I forgot this nice lady?! She looked after me she did: ensure that I had me fill of 6 slices of pizza and a drink. Deeelicious. So for the record . . .

arosar
28-07-2004, 10:02 AM
And here's a pic of Angela and Tamzin reading away between rounds. I reckon these two would have already read half the English canon by the time they reach high-school.

arosar
28-07-2004, 10:05 AM
And this is Mr Egan, right? I was going to ask him about Doeberl Cup history but forgot all about it!!

Garvinator
28-07-2004, 10:42 AM
G. Oliver
I. Rogers

1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 d5 3.c4 c6 4.Nc3 dxc4 5.a4 Bg4 6.Ne5 Bh5 7.Nxc4 e6 8.g3 Na6 9.Bg2 Nb4 10.0-0 a5 11.Qd2 Be7 12.b3 0-0 13.Bb2 Qc7 14.Na2 Nxa2 15.Rxa2 Nd5 16.e4 Nb4 17.Raa1 Rfd8 18.Rac1 Bf6 19.f4 c5 20.d5 Bxb2 21.Nxb2 f5 22.Qf2 exd5 23.Rxc5 Qf7 24.exd5 Nxd5 25.Nc4 Nb4 26.Rxa5 Rac8 27.Rb5 Nd3 28.Qb6 Be2 29.Nd6 Rxd6 30.Qxd6 Qe8 31.Bd5+ Kh8 32.Qe6 Bxf1 33.Qxe8+ Rxe8 34.Kxf1 Re1+ 35.Kg2 Re2+ 36.Kf3 Rxh2 37.Rxb7 g6 38.a5 Ra2 39.b4 Ra3 40.Ke2 Nxb4 41.Rxb4 Rxa5 42.Bb3 Ra1 43.Rb8+ Kg7 44.Rb7+ Kh8 45.Kf3 Rf1+ 46.Kg2 Rb1 47.Bd5 Rd1 48.Rd7 Rd2+ 49.Kh3 Rb2 50.Kh4 h6 51.Kh3 g5 52.fxg5 Draw

jenni
28-07-2004, 01:33 PM
There is something else about our mate the Jamaican Chess Champ that bothered me. It's had me restless! Quite disturbing. It seems he got me in trouble with jenni!! As I don't know the complete set of facts - then I cannot make any comment on it. However, I think I know the true source of such rumours.

AR

Bit of a beat up! The Jamaican lad who seems to have a very bubbly personality, was chatting to Shannon and I . He made an unusual comment, which made me realise that he had been gossiping with someone.

I then put together the fact that Amiel had been staying with him. If you had to suspect anyone of gossiping who would it be? :)

arosar
28-07-2004, 01:45 PM
We may have stayed at the same joint but we didn't have a conversation like that at all. I think what you heard (whatever it was) came from a fella who used to be in the junior scene.

AR

Garvinator
28-07-2004, 01:45 PM
Bit of a beat up! well it was from the king of beat ups
;)

arosar
30-07-2004, 09:54 AM
. . . I can't agree with your comments about my games against the Song's ...

Hey Kerry...what was that exchange between you and Angela during your game? She told you off, didn't she? Cos you castled when you already lost your right to do so?

AR

arosar
30-07-2004, 08:13 PM
Mr Koeller and Mr Williams are back in Sydney. Both are busking on the streets of Sydney. I hope to take a few pics of them both.

Anyway, jenni, we have determined the source of malicious rumours. We will take a baseball bat to culprit's head.

AR

jenni
30-07-2004, 10:14 PM
Mr Koeller and Mr Williams are back in Sydney. Both are busking on the streets of Sydney. I hope to take a few pics of them both.

Anyway, jenni, we have determined the source of malicious rumours. We will take a baseball bat to culprit's head.

AR

Sounds like a good idea - Shannon was totally shocked.

Duff McKagan
01-08-2004, 11:08 PM
Hey Kerry...what was that exchange between you and Angela during your game? She told you off, didn't she? Cos you castled when you already lost your right to do so?

AR

grin, worth a try :)