PDA

View Full Version : French Defense Books

Zwischenzug
17-01-2007, 12:39 PM
Hi everyone. What books/material would you recommend for an aspiring French Defence player? Particularly the Classical French variation and the Steinitz variation. Everywhere I look I see books/materials on French Tarrasch and French Winaver.

Basil
17-01-2007, 01:01 PM
'S' to a 'C' please! You know how reading bastardisations (especially in thread headers) pain me so. Thanks Zwiscy.

littlesprout85
17-01-2007, 08:47 PM
Right onz - Sprout is also interested in the french defence style and would like to hear from some of the Jedi Masters(CC Crew) to make a few Suggestions on this subject.

-Sprout :)

Kevin Bonham
17-01-2007, 08:51 PM
Check both the second and third editions of Watson's "Play the French". The lines you are after may not occur in both editions; I find the two editions sort-of complement each other.

antichrist
17-01-2007, 09:07 PM
Isn't French Defense an oxymoron?

Desmond
17-01-2007, 10:17 PM
Hi everyone. What books/material would you recommend for an aspiring French Defence player? Particularly the Classical French variation and the Steinitz variation. Everywhere I look I see books/materials on French Tarrasch and French Winaver.This will be a bit vague, since all my chess books are currently safely in boxes.

The best book I have seen for a beginning French player was by Shaun Taulbut (or something). Explains the themes, good/bad pieces, weak/strong colours and squares, thematic pawn breaks etc. I'd start here if I were you.

Zwischenzug
17-01-2007, 10:58 PM
Check both the second and third editions of Watson's "Play the French". The lines you are after may not occur in both editions; I find the two editions sort-of complement each other.

Hey Kevin, do you recommend French Classical by Byron Jacobs?

Isn't French Defense an oxymoron?

Don't see how it is an oxymoron.

Kevin Bonham
17-01-2007, 11:18 PM
Hey Kevin, do you recommend French Classical by Byron Jacobs?

Have not read, as I don't play that variation. Carsten Hansen's review here (PDF link) (http://www.chesscafe.com/text/hansen31.pdf) makes several criticisms of it (even for less strong players), but still gives it three out of five.

antichrist
17-01-2007, 11:24 PM
Don't see how it is an oxymoron.

Didn't your mob prove it a few times?

Basil
18-01-2007, 12:20 AM
This will be a bit vague, since all my chess books are currently safety in boxes ... I'd start here if I were you.

What? You want him to pick the locks?

paulo101977
21-06-2020, 04:40 AM
Hi everyone. What books/material would you recommend for an aspiring French Defence player? Particularly the Classical French variation and the Steinitz variation. Everywhere I look I see books/materials on French Tarrasch and French Winaver.

I bought an old book about the French Tarrasch variant. However, I'll be honest, I haven't read it yet because I'm studying Pirc and Moderna. The name is "French Defense: Tarrasch Variation". Authors: Raymond Keene and Shaun Taulbut.