PDA

View Full Version : Hello Atheists

antichrist
24-12-2006, 07:05 PM
I know that we are in a small minority, but we represent rationalism in society, we can't celebrate the current superstitions but at least we have each other and know that slowly but surely society is swinging our way.

Without us the world would be totally insane.

FireGarden
25-12-2006, 06:49 AM
I know that we are in a small minority, but we represent rationalism in society, ....

I'm an atheist. And I've talked to enough atheists to know that we aren't all automatically super rational.

There are atheists that believe in homeopathy, astrology... you name it. (--Okay, not God! ;))

I used to believe that UFOs were alien visitors and I've believed a few conspiracy theories.

Anyway...
Happy Newtonmass!
:D

antichrist
25-12-2006, 07:49 AM
I'm an atheist. And I've talked to enough atheists to know that we aren't all automatically super rational.

There are atheists that believe in homeopathy, astrology... you name it. (--Okay, not God! ;))

I used to believe that UFOs were alien visitors and I've believed a few conspiracy theories.

Anyway...
Happy Newtonmass!
:D

Yeah, I put myself in the ultimate rationalist camp, no new age absolutely nothing, not even frequent flyer points - looking back at it a person who chooses my handle would not be very superstititous I think

antichrist
25-12-2006, 07:57 AM
Hello Suckers, this is Anti-Christ Suckers, it is nice to have you back where you belong, in church Suckers, giving away money Suckers, sucking up to priests Suckers, throwing away your commonsence Suckers

ER
25-12-2006, 10:41 AM
God loved fallen humanity so much that He sent His only Son to redeem sinners like you.
If you don't you 've not a clue of whats coming mate!

firegoat7
25-12-2006, 01:08 PM
I know that we are in a small minority, but we represent rationalism in society,

Society is not rational. Rationality is not a basis for meaning. Christmas is not just about religion. And Christmas has multiple meanings. Personally I like it, I am glad we celebrate it as a society.

we can't celebrate the current superstitions but at least we have each other and know that slowly but surely society is swinging our way.

wrong again.

Without us the world would be totally insane. The world is insane:hand: you just make it funnier.

cheers Fg7

antichrist
25-12-2006, 01:55 PM
LIsten FG, you should know the famous saying because I thought it applied aptly to yourself:

man will only be free when the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest -

nothing more to add

antichrist
25-12-2006, 05:16 PM
Oh to annoy them if you want .. you can tell them my theroy of that if it wasnt for Mary Magdalan coming up wif the marketing tactic of thinking that the whole reveloution was going to fall apart and Jesus would just be another person killed on a cross unless she came up with something... so she thought of 'wat if we tell them "hes risen from the dead"... and that way we dont have to find a replacment leader'. ... and they brought it lol and now we have a holiday . But both things might be ture ..Im not sure........

antichrist
28-12-2006, 01:43 PM
heaviestknight:

I took the trouble and checked some postings of the banned person in discussion. I just could not continue reading that insurmountable load of scatological profanities... No reason to stand up for people like that in the name of any kind of democratic principles.
By the way throughout the Christmas period, Christians on this board had to go through another series of delirious wanton attacks by a certain poster.
I wonder what the reaction would have been if some similar attacks were directed against our Jewish or Muslim friends?
I would love to believe (please feel free to correct me If I am wrong) that the non existant reaction to those attacks on behalf of the moderators is based upon the Christian values of understanding and forgiveness and not upon some sort of a hard boiled exhibition of selective apathy.
Cheers and good luck!

A/C
Mate, I am allowed to attack Christianity because that was the religion I was brainwashed into from an infant. If I can't then who can? A Muslim or Jew, a Muslim may do it with the sword so which do you prefer? A Jew was supposedly responsible for stringing up Jesus so they are on the nose as well. So if I can't nobody can - and ignorance prevails.

I did not bring it up first - other pro-Christian posters did. If they kept it in church I also would keep quiet.

Phil Bourke
28-12-2006, 03:45 PM
I consider myself a Christian and proud of it. I live my life by a few tenets which may be said to be based on the Ten Commandments, or just life experiences.
What I see everyone attacking here is Church based religion, and wrongly giving it the misnomer of Christianity.
Why not be clear in your criticism and label the Church as the target of your displeasure, not all those people that are just living a good life in the belief that there is a Greater Being of unknown description keeping an eye on things.
I see everyday things that just confirm that there are powers at work that we as humans will never understand. We can pull a tree apart and list all of its components, yet given the same components, we cannot make a tree! Yet a tree makes another tree with a little seed and a little help from some of nature's other creatures.
So leave Christians alone, tear the heart out of the Churches all you like, I couldn't care less about that subject.

antichrist
28-12-2006, 04:11 PM
I consider myself a Christian and proud of it. I live my life by a few tenets which may be said to be based on the Ten Commandments, or just life experiences.
What I see everyone attacking here is Church based religion, and wrongly giving it the misnomer of Christianity.
Why not be clear in your criticism and label the Church as the target of your displeasure, not all those people that are just living a good life in the belief that there is a Greater Being of unknown description keeping an eye on things.
I see everyday things that just confirm that there are powers at work that we as humans will never understand. We can pull a tree apart and list all of its components, yet given the same components, we cannot make a tree! Yet a tree makes another tree with a little seed and a little help from some of nature's other creatures.
So leave Christians alone, tear the heart out of the Churches all you like, I couldn't care less about that subject.

The church and the Christian belief are both rightly under attack. What they may consider is a good life is often prescribing unjust restrictions and burdens on non-believers and naive believers whom only realise when it is too late that life decisions are not a black and white issue.

Just because you think we can not understand aspects of nature does not mean that they are non-understandable nor important sufficiently to be understood.

If Christians left other people alone and not insult our intelligence with public blessings, Christmas carols in shopping centres and religous rubbish on TV and spouting ignorance in public well maybe we would leave them alone.

But once they put themselves in the public demand well it is a free for all. Just as they like to accept public money well they can also accept public scrutiny and criticism.

They take money from people under false pretenses.

Phil Bourke
28-12-2006, 09:23 PM
AC, I think you are still confusing the idea of Christianity with organised religious groups.
Any group seeking donations or giving public blessings will most likely be there at the behest of some human who is deigned by them to be the most religious or whatever.
I have no time for Church or any organised religion, I have seen too many people sit in Church on Sunday, and rob people blind on Monday to have any faith in the edict of any elected/chosen human to tell me what is God's way. That said, I do believe that being a Christian is a simple philosophy of living your life and observing a few simple rules (The Ten Commandments for example). And you won't find me giving you a public blessing or asking for a donation, but if you insist on sending money.......... :D
My own Christianity is based on the simple; What goes around, comes around. That is how I try to live my life, no fanfare or fuss.

ElevatorEscapee
28-12-2006, 09:38 PM
That's a splendid post above Phil. I'm an agnostic myself, but find myself agreeing with much of the philosphical points you make.

In particular that people who attend church every week have not necessarily grasped the point of spirituality, nor indeed have certain parts of some of the organized religions.

I personally believe that there are as many paths to the same destination as there are human beings, and it's not so much the destination that's important but how much we receive from the journey to arrive there.

~EE

PS Anticrhist, if you are in the money sending mood, can I have some too!? ;)

antichrist
28-12-2006, 09:39 PM
I have read good arguments against the whole Ten Commandments, many of which are not even Christian, but stole them from other religions and philosophies. There are exceptions to the rule so everything is only relative.

Would not you like someone to treat you better than you treat them - bring it on

eclectic
28-12-2006, 09:44 PM
AC, I think you are still confusing the idea of Christianity with organised religious groups.
Any group seeking donations or giving public blessings will most likely be there at the behest of some human who is deigned by them to be the most religious or whatever.
I have no time for Church or any organised religion, I have seen too many people sit in Church on Sunday, and rob people blind on Monday to have any faith in the edict of any elected/chosen human to tell me what is God's way. That said, I do believe that being a Christian is a simple philosophy of living your life and observing a few simple rules (The Ten Commandments for example). And you won't find me giving you a public blessing or asking for a donation, but if you insist on sending money.......... :D
My own Christianity is based on the simple; What goes around, comes around. That is how I try to live my life, no fanfare or fuss.

Sport is allowed to be "organised".
The music industry is allowed to be "organised"
The film industry is allowed to be "organised"
A political party is allowed to be "organised"
The military is allowed to be "organised"

But religion?? ..... GOD FORBID!!!!

antichrist
28-12-2006, 09:47 PM
Sport is allowed to be "organised".
The music industry is allowed to be "organised"
The film industry is allowed to be "organised"
A political party is allowed to be "organised"
The military is allowed to be "organised"

But religion?? ..... GOD FORBID!!!!

Yeah because we get bloody HOly Inquisitions

Basil
28-12-2006, 09:58 PM
Phil. I thought your post was a good one. Thanks.
Skaro. I think you miss the point. Sure Christianity is organised. Phile says attack the organisation - not the people. I think he further observes that some Christians aren't part of the organisation per se.

ElevatorEscapee
28-12-2006, 11:00 PM
I once knew these people who had been sucked into a weird religious cult... they would meet once a week and gather around a device used for torture in ancient times pretending to drink human blood and eat human flesh! :sick:

It was SICK!!! SICK!!!! I tell you!!!! :sick: :sick:

antichrist
28-12-2006, 11:17 PM
I once knew these people who had been sucked into a weird religious cult... they would meet once a week and gather around a device used for torture in ancient times pretending to drink human blood and eat human flesh! :sick:

It was SICK!!! SICK!!!! I tell you!!!! :sick: :sick:

What about when they were drinking Mary's breast milk 1500 years after she rose up to Heaven - definitely past the use-by date. And it was not even in it's original container

Rincewind
28-12-2006, 11:28 PM
I know that we are in a small minority, but we represent rationalism in society, we can't celebrate the current superstitions but at least we have each other and know that slowly but surely society is swinging our way.

I looked at some stats on the States in a recent Time magazine. Around 13% of Americans believe there is something to Psychic, Horoscopes, Tarot, etc. And only 5% of Americans believe there is nothing beyond the physical world. (What I would call literal materialism).

Rincewind
28-12-2006, 11:28 PM
I looked at some stats on the States in a recent Time magazine. Around 13% of Americans believe there is something to Psychic, Horoscopes, Tarot, etc. And only 5% of Americans believe there is nothing beyond the physical world. (What I would call literal materialism).

The disturbing part was I was not surprised in the least.