PDA

View Full Version : Peter Garrett made shadow environment minister

Kevin Bonham
11-12-2006, 05:53 PM
Kruddy has, as widely expected, appointed Garrett shadow minister for environment and created (and given him) a new portfolio for climate change.

Curious to see what people here think about Garrett as a future enviro minister should Labor win and give him a chance.

(I'm also running this on my other forum, will be interesting to compare and contrast.)

antichrist
11-12-2006, 07:15 PM
I was first to vote and actually ran a campaign for him as a NDP senate hopeful

Axiom
11-12-2006, 10:12 PM
Peter Garrett already backing down on the nuclear issue, ..lets hope he is a trojan horse.

Steve K
12-12-2006, 12:14 AM
He realises that to actually make some impact you have to be in the main game. He'll have to compromise here and there but overall he'll make excellent representations in opposition and in government.

pax
12-12-2006, 10:54 AM
Peter Garrett already backing down on the nuclear issue, ..lets hope he is a trojan horse.

No he isn't. He made it quite clear that he is opposed to expansion of the mines policy, and he is opposed to nuclear power. He will vigorously lobby caucus, and vote against a change in policy at the ALP conference.

He has said that once the party has decided it's position that he will abide by it. But you can't ask for any more than that, especially from a politician in his first term of office.

Watto
12-12-2006, 01:07 PM
Heres the Age online poll on this...
http://www.theage.com.au/polls/form.html
Ill be interested to see how he works with the Greens in parliament as opposed to when hes actively campaigning against them. (In the recent state election down here for the Melbourne electorate - a very close race between the ALP and the Greens Garrett and Bob Brown flew in to campaign for that seat; the ALP narrowly retained it like they did last election. Helped quite a bit by Garrett I suspect.)
AC, since you campaigned for him years ago, what do you think of him now?

Oepty
12-12-2006, 05:49 PM
No politician will ever be able to do enough, be extreme enough to do what is needed to save the enviroment. Any that tried would have a rebellion on their hands. The earth is doomed and so is the human race if humans are left to make all the decisions.
Scott

Alan Shore
12-12-2006, 05:56 PM
The earth is doomed and so is the human race if humans are left to make all the decisions.
Scott

So... who else is going to make the decisions, the dolphins!?

Oepty
12-12-2006, 06:03 PM

Do you really not know my answer?
Scott

eclectic
12-12-2006, 06:21 PM

Isn't it those 2 mice that are really running the big experiment?

:uhoh: :rolleyes: :eek:

EGOR
13-12-2006, 07:25 AM
Scott
No.

Kevin Bonham
13-12-2006, 09:39 AM
Same poll on my other forum, which is usually rather more left-wing than this one, is currently running at 7/0/1/4/2 compared to this one's 7/0/2/1/0.

Oepty
13-12-2006, 05:38 PM
No.

I wasn't asking you.
Scott

Desmond
13-12-2006, 08:50 PM
Same poll on my other forum, which is usually rather more left-wing than this one, is currently running at 7/0/1/4/2 compared to this one's 7/0/2/1/0.Please, 2 more ppl vote for option 1 :D

EGOR
14-12-2006, 01:02 PM
I wasn't asking you.
Scott
:lol: :lol:

Brian_Jones
14-12-2006, 01:14 PM
Scott

Oh God! I know the answer!