PDA

View Full Version : Read Vs Unread posts.

PHAT
18-04-2004, 11:09 AM
Why do the "unread" posts turn into "read" posts and theads without having read them? eg. I log on to this BB, walk away for a few hours and upon returning, find that all posts are recorded as read even though there has been (apparently) no activity.

This is rather annoying because it means mental effort to recall what I have/have not actually scanned/read.

PHAT
19-04-2004, 10:47 AM
... ummm ... this is the "Site Help" section, isn't it? ... Well, I am still waiting for a reply.

ursogr8
19-04-2004, 11:15 AM
... ummm ... this is the "Site Help" section, isn't it? ... Well, I am still waiting for a reply.

hi Matt
K. is away I believe for a long time..........he usually helps.

Just a comment (because I have no idea of the solution to your question); if you leave your screen on the function Who's on-line and watch it for a while, you will notice that it does an auto. refresh on a fairly short cycle. Hence, I have always presumed, something in CKs software causes the refresh.
Here is the theory > the refresh, whatever it is, is causing a change to your post status from UNREAD to READ.

starter

Gandalf
19-04-2004, 01:58 PM
"Unread" when you log on means threads created since you last logged off. If you log on and see all these new threads, they will stay marked as long as your account is active. However, because user activity is measured automatically in five minute intervals if you are inactive in that time it will consider you "offline", effectively logging you out. Thus, the engine will forum will assume that what you have not read in your session online you do not want to read (marking it "read"). Now, when you return you will still be logged in, but you will suddenly come back as "online" and all those threads which were marked read will now be unread. In my experience this is how all internet fora work, though I doubt there is a way to change it without ruining the online tracking system. I'll ask Jeo about it when I next see him.

skip to my lou
25-04-2004, 08:43 PM
That is not a feature in the current vB. Basically posts and threads are marked
read after either:

1. You log out
2. Your session expires (as per the cookie timeout)
3. You click on 'Mark all forums read'

All the best,
Steve Machol
Support Team, vBulletin

PHAT
30-05-2004, 05:39 PM
"Unread" when you log on means threads created since you last logged off. If you log on and see all these new threads, they will stay marked as long as your account is active. However, because user activity is measured automatically in five minute intervals if you are inactive in that time it will consider you "offline", effectively logging you out. Thus, the engine will forum will assume that what you have not read in your session online you do not want to read (marking it "read"). Now, when you return you will still be logged in, but you will suddenly come back as "online" and all those threads which were marked read will now be unread. In my experience this is how all internet fora work, though I doubt there is a way to change it without ruining the online tracking system. I'll ask Jeo about it when I next see him.

Can you pleas echang e tyhe activity timed level thing from 5 mintes to about 30 minutes. Thht is ssure to be oK to make the unread posts stey unreaduntil they are really actualy read OK. because reading the BB is an casula kind of thing where one does it while doing other stuff and a single page can tak ea while to gett through.

OK so it's 5 minutes to be made about 30 OK Hmmmmmmm?

skip to my lou
30-05-2004, 06:27 PM
People who check the board often will be confused if the activity timing is so long. Also the "online users" data will be unreliable.

PHAT
30-05-2004, 11:11 PM
People who check the board often will be confused if the activity timing is so long. Also the "online users" data will be unreliable.

Than code a diference between "log in" and "request tread"

The old bb had this opperation.. Unless you actually *veiwed* the thread , the software naver said you saw thr thread

Gandalf
31-05-2004, 11:12 PM
This is not the old BB.

skip to my lou
01-06-2004, 04:08 AM
Than code a diference between "log in" and "request tread"

The old bb had this opperation.. Unless you actually *veiwed* the thread , the software naver said you saw thr thread

I will manually code it in provided enough regular posters request it.

Trent Parker
03-06-2004, 03:02 PM
I will manually code it in provided enough regular posters request it.

To tell the truth Jeo, I tend to miss things if they are not highlighted as unread. I don't always read posts straight away either. I tend to Play chess on fics and read the bb in between.

But it is unimportant... so if it is time consuming don't bother.... but it would be handy