PDA

View Full Version : Philippines chess etc

Kevin Bonham
15-04-2004, 01:15 PM
I've temporarily deleted the Philippines chess thread because of possible copyright issues. AR - as I understand it the copyright owner isn't only entitled to sue over the cost of one copy, he/they are also entitled to sue over potential loss of profits from selling many copies. I imagine the SMH could run some kind of argument that hundreds of chessplayers who would have bought the SMH for the chess column now might not bother, etc etc etc.

I don't know who owns the copyright, whether it's the paper or Ian. If it's Ian and he says its OK to post it here I'll undelete it. I assume there's some arrangement in place with auschess.org.au for columns to be archived there, possibly a week or two after publication.

arosar
15-04-2004, 01:24 PM
Well that's just ridiculous, ain't it? Put it back or I get upset with you for all eternity. I'll edit the bloody thing.

That uncle Barry is just being a worry-wart.

AR

arosar
15-04-2004, 01:26 PM
Actually, I'm off to lunchage. So can you put it back after 3PM?

AR

Kevin Bonham
15-04-2004, 03:35 PM
Put it back or I get upset with you for all eternity.

:hand:

Why don't you just repost a summary? Or have you lost the original?

arosar
15-04-2004, 03:39 PM
I didn't keep a copy man...and I can't be bothered writing all that up again. And if I go into f2 it'll cost me another buck 65.

AR

Kevin Bonham
15-04-2004, 03:50 PM
I'll PM you back the original then.

arosar
16-04-2004, 09:25 AM
Because these racist bas.tards are too dumb to have simply deleted the offending post rather than deleting the entire thread - I've completely lost hope. But here is Ang's column today. It features quick profiles of two SE Asian young stars.

http://www.bworld.com.ph/current/A&L/ang.html

AR

Garvinator
16-04-2004, 10:38 AM
Because these racist bas.tards are too dumb
Does this quote mean that you are calling Kevin Bonham a racist, or are you calling the whole acf racist?

arosar
16-04-2004, 10:48 AM
Does this quote mean that you are calling Kevin Bonham a racist, or are you calling the whole acf racist?

FMD! You're like a little puffer fish who grab me lure instead of me catching a big fish. You're a bloody steaky-beak. Would you start you're own friggin' QLD business and stay out of Mexican and NSW and Filipino business?

AR

Garvinator
16-04-2004, 10:51 AM
FMD! You're like a little puffer fish who grab me lure instead of me catching a big fish. You're a bloody steaky-beak. Would you start you're own friggin' QLD business and stay out of Mexican and NSW and Filipino business?

AR

nice to see you answered the question, why dont you answer my question first and then ill answer yours. Anyway this is an australian wide bb, so i can post anywhere.

I believe copyright laws are for the whole country, not just one state. idiot :wall:

arosar
16-04-2004, 10:59 AM
[vulgar content deleted] If these two dudes were so concerned about one post then edit that post instead of deleting the whole thing. FMD!

AR

Bill Gletsos
16-04-2004, 12:10 PM
[vulgar content deleted] If these two dudes were so concerned about one post then edit that post instead of deleting the whole thing. FMD!

AR
Aggresive little twerp arent we. ;)
I guess its fortunate you are not built like firegoat or Matt or we might witness more altercations at tournaments. :whistle:

Garvinator
16-04-2004, 12:12 PM
Aggresive little twerp arent we. ;)
I guess its fortunate you are not built like firegoat or Matt or we might witness more altercations at tournaments. :whistle:

hence why im not going to be in the same state as him when he goes to the vic open :owned: :whistle:

arosar
16-04-2004, 12:34 PM
hence why im not going to be in the same state as him when he goes to the vic open :owned: :whistle:

Oh you like me! C'mon admit it . . .

AR

Kevin Bonham
16-04-2004, 12:39 PM
Because these racist bas.tards are too dumb to have simply deleted the offending post rather than deleting the entire thread - I've completely lost hope.

No AR, in this instance the dumb one is you. Deleting the post that starts the thread automatically deletes the whole thread. I could have edited it instead but this would have made recovery more difficult if we later decided to release it. That is why the whole thread disappeared. Apologies for not explaining this but I had no idea its disappearance would spark such an outburst.

As for "racist", it's been suggested we should give you some time in the sinbin for that one, but I personally think having the stupidity of your unfounded accusation on public display should be punishment enough. :lol:

arosar
16-04-2004, 12:48 PM
As for "racist", it's been suggested we should give you some time in the sinbin for that one, but I personally think having the stupidity of your unfounded accusation on public display should be punishment enough. :lol:

That's it?

I actually expected Mr Cox to have a go at me. I kept seeing him and I was all ready. But all he did was send a coupla PMs!! Sooner or later I'm gonna have a lot of fun with him.

AR

Bill Gletsos
16-04-2004, 01:11 PM
Perhaps a goosemaster norm or at least credit towards one. :hmm:

Garvinator
16-04-2004, 02:28 PM
motion seconded for first goosemaster norm

arosar
16-04-2004, 02:29 PM
OK, I accept it. Basta.rds!

AR

Bill Gletsos
16-04-2004, 02:43 PM
OK, I accept it. Basta.rds!

AR
Ha ha.
Your good value AR. ;)

Garvinator
16-04-2004, 03:18 PM
Oh you like me! C'mon admit it . . .

AR
for the record, i dont like you or want to have anything to do with you.

arosar
16-04-2004, 03:29 PM
for the record, i dont like you or want to have anything to do with you.

So we're not friend gray? Is that it then? Oh boohoohoo...gray, oh gray . . . how can you do this to me?

AR

Kevin Bonham
16-04-2004, 06:53 PM

What, like a one-thread ratings "block"? :hmm:

Normally I think a GM norm should require digging in after your comments have been exposed as goosey. Besides, he didn't mean it, it was just a random spray.

Next question: if someone wants a GM norm, should we let them have one?

Bill Gletsos
16-04-2004, 07:10 PM
What, like a one-thread ratings "block"? :hmm:

Normally I think a GM norm should require digging in after your comments have been exposed as goosey. Besides, he didn't mean it, it was just a random spray.

Next question: if someone wants a GM norm, should we let them have one?
No, you cannot claim one.
It has to be bestowed.

PHAT
18-04-2004, 10:04 AM
No AR, in this instance the dumb one is you. Deleting the post that starts the thread automatically deletes the whole thread. ... Apologies for not explaining this ...

No KB, in this instance the dumb one is you. AR was unknowing because of your "not explaining".

Kevin Bonham
18-04-2004, 07:49 PM
No KB, in this instance the dumb one is you. AR was unknowing because of your "not explaining".

He nonetheless jumped to a conclusion without knowing whether it was true, and assumed incompetence where other hypotheses were available.

Anyway, the whole thing was just a big joke with no offence taken.

arosar
29-04-2004, 09:24 AM
Woohoo!!! IM Nelson Mariano scores second GM norm in Dubai Open. Poor bast.ard. According to news reports he had to carry along some chess books all the way to Dubai cos he doesn't have a laptop. Poor ba.stard.

This is a fanstastic result for IM Mariano especially after the unfortunate game-fixing allegations at the Asian Cities. That [zap] Casto Abundo had reportedly verbally abused Mariano in public accusing him of game-fixing. that Mariano ended up crying.

AR

Brian_Jones
29-04-2004, 02:02 PM
Amiel, is IM Nelson Mariano related to WIM Cristine Mariano (who played in Adelaide a few years ago)?

BTW the Abundo accusations were very low key at Tagaytay. I think the press blew it up out of all proportions! Has anyone published the exact words used by Abundo?

This Bobby Ang is a great writer!

arosar
29-04-2004, 02:46 PM
Amiel, is IM Nelson Mariano related to WIM Cristine Mariano (who played in Adelaide a few years ago)?

Yes...they are siblings as far as I know.

BTW the Abundo accusations were very low key at Tagaytay. I think the press blew it up out of all proportions! Has anyone published the exact words used by Abundo?

I've been scanning the RP broadsheets online - but no mention of exact words. Anyway, to be fair to Abundo, it seems it was he who facilitated the attendance of Mariano and others at Dubai.

This Bobby Ang is a great writer!

Yep, he sure is. He's very opinionated and knowledageable too. He used to run a newsgroup on Y! chess and sent his Chess Piece articles, in pdf, from there. Then he stopped. Luckily he found a home at bworld.com.ph shortly after. A coupla years ago he wrote this excellent profile of A. Caoili. Great stuff!

Btw, Brian I received the latest AC mag last night. As usual I couldn't put it down. One disappointment though. The Tindall-Kotsur game was unannotated. I was actually expecting Tindall to do the honours.

And while you were in RP, did you pick up a copy of Torre's "The Next Wave . . . "? I managed to get one. It's an interesting little book about RP's next generation of young stars. Good little number but disappointing in some parts. For example, this Torre bloke just sooo luuuurves himself lemme tell ya.

Anyway's see you at the next tourn!

AR

ps: What's the name of that player who snobbed Rippis? Maybe we should send him an invite to a tourn down in Mexico and have the Greek mafia down there fix him up? Whaddya reckon?

Brian_Jones
29-04-2004, 03:37 PM
Yeah - got a signed copy of the Torre book!
I think he is an excellent role model for filipino kids!

There are similar books in the USA (Schiller?) but nothing in Australia since the Rogers book "Australian Chess into the Eighties". We should get our players to write more. In 2005, ACE plans to publish a number of new books. Watch this space!

The Indonesian GM Edhi Handoko was just being a pratt to Theos. No wonder we haven't invited him back to Sydney. (He played in Cepacol GM tournament organised by yours truly in 1991). But at Tagatay, GM Adianto expressed some interest in returning to Sydney again soon!

shaun
29-04-2004, 05:23 PM
Except Adianto is not to be trusted. Having confirmed his appearence at the 2000/2001 Australian Open, he then pulled out a couple of weeks before the tournament saying he was too tired to play any chess. He then flew to Las Vegas to play in an event that clashed directly with the Aus Open.
I would strongly reccommend not wasting the time and money.

arosar
17-05-2004, 10:54 AM
In today's Chess Piece, there is a profile of pinoy IM Mariano. Some readers may find a touch of that typically pinoy sexism - but it's not too bad I think.

AR

arosar
28-06-2004, 01:24 PM
Looks like we'll soon have our fifth GM. Actually, it's only 4 as Balinas died a coupla years ago. IM Nelson Mariano recently finished with 6.5/11 @ at the 1st ASEAN Masters' thus meeting his final GM norm requirements.

EDIT: Pls take the time to read today's CP: http://www.bworld.com.ph/current/A&L/ang.html

AR

arosar
21-09-2004, 11:05 AM
Woohoo!!! Yet another pinoy GM. Paragua finally did it. Now if only those bas.tards in the NCFP can pay their fees!!

Torre, Balinas, Antonio, Villamayor, Mariano and Paragua are RP's GMs. Balinas died a coupla years ago.

AR

ursogr8
21-09-2004, 11:19 AM
Looks like we'll soon have our fifth GM. Actually, it's only 4 as Balinas died a coupla years ago. IM Nelson Mariano recently finished with 6.5/11 @ at the 1st ASEAN Masters' thus meeting his final GM norm requirements.

EDIT: Pls take the time to read today's CP: http://www.bworld.com.ph/current/A&L/ang.html

AR

hi Amiel
Link does not work for me.
(Perhaps I have not paid the troll's toll?)
starter

Garvinator
21-09-2004, 11:22 AM
hi Amiel
Link does not work for me.
(Perhaps I have not paid the troll's toll?)
starter
same here

arosar
21-09-2004, 12:28 PM
Youse fellas - I already explained before OK. That link is only available, for FREE, on Mondays and Fridays. On other days it's pay per view.

But I thoroughly recommend that link as essential reading. It's one of the best on the net.

AR

Brian_Jones
21-09-2004, 02:32 PM
Link didn't work yesterday, still not today (Tuesday)!
When does the weekend finish in pinoyland?
Maybe never? Come on Amiel get your act together!

arosar
21-09-2004, 03:02 PM
Listen here Mr Jones mate, it worked for me yesterday OK! Now if you can't get to that link directly, try going to the main Business Internet homepage:http://www.bworld.com.ph/current/today.html

Then just look for Ang's column in the Sports section.

AR

arosar
24-09-2004, 10:28 AM
Hey, gray, starter and BJ - can youse all try the link? I can read it.

Cheers,

AR

ursogr8
24-09-2004, 11:02 AM
Hey, gray, starter and BJ - can youse all try the link? I can read it.

Cheers,

AR

I can see the LINK and open. Where is SPORTS?

arosar
24-09-2004, 11:03 AM
Find it yourself man.

Anyway, just click here: http://www.bworld.com.ph/current/A&L/ang.html

AR

Bill Gletsos
24-09-2004, 11:20 AM
I can see the LINK and open. Where is SPORTS?
Scroll down grasshopper.

ursogr8
24-09-2004, 11:33 AM
Find it yourself man.

Anyway, just click here: http://www.bworld.com.ph/current/A&L/ang.html

AR

Scroll down grasshopper.

Listen guys; I have got the attention span of a gnat.
If it does not look 'intuitive' and user-friendly then I surf off.

Now found it, but it must be the most cluttered site I have ever grazed in.

starter

Brian_Jones
27-09-2004, 01:49 PM
Couldn't find the last column by Bobby Ang but here is another column about a bloke who has beaten Eugene Torre to the GM title by 2 years.

http://www.mb.com.ph/SPRT2004092018880.html

Is this news or did we already know this?

Nice ear-ring!

Kevin Bonham
28-09-2004, 02:50 AM
This post by AR became the first post of "Sex appeal and selling chess" but has some relevance to this thread:

About Mark becoming our 6th ever GM? Well I already said it last week man.

And AGAIN(!), here: http://www.bworld.com.ph/current/A&L/ang.html

EDIT: Btw, Brian, I am very happy that you are paying attention to our neighbours' chess news. I, too, pay attention - especially that of Indonesia's. I've actually been looking for a photo of the Indon's Chess Fed Prez (or is that VP?). According to NIC, she's just gorgeous, I mean like a supermodel or something. That's surely something we can learn and apply here.

AR

Comments about the last sentence to the above mentioned thread not this one, ta.

arosar
05-10-2004, 03:03 PM
Filipino newspapers report that GM-elect Mark Paragua has just breached the 2600 rating barrier. If true, this will be the first time ever that a pinoy player has reached this wonderful height. Torre came close in '83 with a high of 2580.

Mark has been campaigning in Ukraine with spectacular results.

On another front, a pinoy player has recently become World 8-ball Champ! Not many people know this but pinoys are consistently in the top 3 pool players in the world. I'm so happy I can't contain meself.

AR

arosar
05-10-2004, 03:11 PM
What authority do you have to be rude to people.

I'm sorry man. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings.

AR

antichrist
05-10-2004, 03:33 PM
On another front, a pinoy player has recently become World 8-ball Champ! Not many people know this but pinoys are consistently in the top 3 pool players in the world. I'm so happy I can't contain meself.

AR[/QUOTE]

The ladies of the night over there are pretty good pool players there as well. I seen one clean out all the black American marines. There is a funny story attached of which I will only tell you the final line, walking out of a short-stay hotel the owner said to me "Yeah, and I am a Catholic priest too!". What could he be getting at???

RE chess there, I stayed there with a former champion for six weeks and only played chess all the time, I could have done that here and saved my money.

Bill Gletsos
05-10-2004, 04:35 PM
Filipino newspapers report that GM-elect Mark Paragua has just breached the 2600 rating barrier. If true, this will be the first time ever that a pinoy player has reached this wonderful height. Torre came close in '83 with a high of 2580.Well his just published Oct 2004 FIDE rating is only 2534, so I wonder where they are getting this 2600 stuff from.

arosar
05-10-2004, 05:02 PM
Well his just published Oct 2004 FIDE rating is only 2534, so I wonder where they are getting this 2600 stuff from.

As I said, your exactitude is suffocating Bill. Your response was totally unnecessary.

You see Bill, Filipinos are very optimistic and happy people. And others, especially, have adequate mathematical skills with some knowledge of FIDE ratings. You get what I'm getting at?

AR

Bill Gletsos
05-10-2004, 05:45 PM
As I said, your exactitude is suffocating Bill. Your response was totally unnecessary.
I disagree.
Many people would have taken your post at face value which is currently at odds with data from the FIDE web site.

You see Bill, Filipinos are very optimistic and happy people. And others, especially, have adequate mathematical skills with some knowledge of FIDE ratings. You get what I'm getting at?
All well and good but it just appears that they are not above stretching the truth. :lol:

Rhubarb
05-10-2004, 05:56 PM
Filipino newspapers report that GM-elect Mark Paragua has just breached the 2600 rating barrier.

His just published Oct 2004 FIDE rating is only 2534.

Perhaps the reports mean that he already has 66 points in the bank from his Ukrainian campaign. The expected changes of a player often don't appear on the FIDE site until a month before the next list is due.

arosar
05-10-2004, 06:00 PM
It seems this kegless fella is not at all brainless. S/he get the drift very easily you see. I think I approve of kegless.

AR

Garvinator
05-10-2004, 06:02 PM
havent you realised who kegless is, he recently had a name change ;)

Bill Gletsos
05-10-2004, 06:40 PM
Perhaps the reports mean that he already has 66 points in the bank from his Ukrainian campaign. The expected changes of a player often don't appear on the FIDE site until a month before the next list is due.
I know that kegless, mate.
But as I said for the average joe reading the post that certainly isnt obvious.

Of course his 66+ points in the bank means he may end up being moot if he loses points during the Olympiad.

BTW congratulations on a good increase in your FIDE rating on the latest list.

Bill Gletsos
05-10-2004, 06:40 PM
havent you realised who kegless is, he recently had a name change ;)
My mate AR isnt always the most observant dude around. ;) :lol:

Rhubarb
05-10-2004, 06:49 PM
I know that kegless, mate.
But as I said for the average joe reading the post that certainly isnt obvious.
I knew you knew that Bill, mate. I was just explaining for the benefit of others. ;)

Bill Gletsos
05-10-2004, 06:50 PM
I knew you knew that Bill, mate. I was just explaining for the benefit of others. ;)
Touche. ;)

Garvinator
06-10-2004, 11:58 AM
STOP PRESS: There are unconfirmed reports that the Mayor of Alushta, Ukraine, is seeking a "Sister City" agreement with the Mayor of Varna, Bulgaria, who's apparently still out to lunch.
i think this requires more explaination :confused:

Bill Gletsos
21-10-2004, 01:52 PM
Mark Paragua so far has a performance rating at the Olympiad below his current FIDE rating of 2534.
How he ends up he could possibly lose rating points from the event, in which case it may have an effect on his Jan 1st FIDE rating hitting 2600 as mentioned above.

arosar
05-11-2004, 10:32 AM
And now the bitc.hing begins. Woohoo!! Love it.

AR

Ian Rout
05-11-2004, 01:31 PM
And now the bitc.hing begins. Woohoo!! Love it.

AR

Didn't a team in the European Championship or some other event have a specialist White who would come in as a "pinch hitter" to play for a win with White on the bottom board every second round? Maybe it's not such a bad idea to have designated players for each colour.

Bill Gletsos
06-11-2004, 06:09 PM
I notice tat Mark Paragua's GM title application is listed as HOLDby the report tabled at the recent meeeting of the Titles and Ratings Committee at the Olympiad.

Not quite sure what that means in reality other than that so far his GM title hasnt been granted.

arosar
08-11-2004, 04:42 PM
I notice tat Mark Paragua's GM title application is listed as HOLDby the report tabled at the recent meeeting of the Titles and Ratings Committee at the Olympiad.

Not quite sure what that means in reality other than that so far his GM title hasnt been granted.

Yes, there's a problem with his first norm. It's been known for a while. Turns out that tourn in Italy wasn't that strong.

AR

arosar
09-11-2004, 05:52 PM
Casto Abundo has just made assurances that Paragua will definitely receive his GM title come Jan 05. And it appears that, based on some estimates, Paragua actually gained a few more ELO points from his tally of 7.5/13 (TPR 2556) at the Olympiad. So, it looks like he'll definitely get over 2600. I hear the entire nation will perform a few circuits of the Stations of the Cross to make this a reality.

My atheist friends will have to forgive me. When it comes to RP chess, I am always a devout catholic.

Despite the bitchi.ness, it appears that RP chess is making some sort of a revival. The NCFP is now aiming their sights at a clean sweep for 6 gold medals at next year's SEAG.

AR

arosar
09-11-2004, 06:00 PM
I would just like to add this observation that it just about breaks my heart that chess is not covered in the popular press here in this country. Yet in RP, the Olympiad was covered daily and even including the present WY in Greece. It's absolutely fantastic!!

AR

antichrist
11-11-2004, 06:50 PM
I would just like to add this observation that it just about breaks my heart that chess is not covered in the popular press here in this country. Yet in RP, the Olympiad was covered daily and even including the present WY in Greece. It's absolutely fantastic!!

AR

They publish a bridge column almost every day in the SMH, we should demand equal rights. I met pretty good chess players in RP whose only lessons were from going through the games in the daily paper, which they probably borrowed anyway. But now we have the internet ,which is perfect for chess, the newspaper had become almost obsolete it must be admitted.

arosar
19-11-2004, 01:26 PM
Check out today's edition of: http://www.bworld.com.ph/current/A&L/ang.html

An entertaining one today with something about chess, Torre, and gas corporations all in one column.

AR

pax
24-11-2004, 09:42 AM
Casto Abundo has just made assurances that Paragua will definitely receive his GM title come Jan 05. And it appears that, based on some estimates, Paragua actually gained a few more ELO points from his tally of 7.5/13 (TPR 2556) at the Olympiad. So, it looks like he'll definitely get over 2600. I hear the entire nation will perform a few circuits of the Stations of the Cross to make this a reality.
AR

According to fide.com, Paragua wil only gain 23 points from the 1st Autumn tourney in Alushta. Presumably he will gain a similar number from the 3rd (similar result, similar field). That will leave him on about 2580-2585. Where will the rest of the points come from to push him over 2600?

arosar
24-11-2004, 09:51 AM
Yeah, saw that. You'll have to ask those pinoy journos. But we are faithful catholics. Miracles can happen.

AR

arosar
28-02-2005, 03:13 PM
On Corro chess.

I was just thinking, surely the fact that an Aussie was the first ever Corro World Champ must be the most underrated fact of Australian chess and, indeed, of our nation's sporting story. Pretty bloody sad, eh?

AR

shaun
28-02-2005, 05:24 PM
On Corro chess.

I was just thinking, surely the fact that an Aussie was the first ever Corro World Champ must be the most underrated fact of Australian chess
No, given that it was extensively covered at the time, constantly mentioned whenever Purdy is discussed (which is quite often), and that a very fine book, "How Purdy Won" by Frank Hutchings and Kevin Harrison, was published in 1983. Of course you might think it is underrated if you assume that Australian chess history only started when you became interested in playing.

and, indeed, of our nation's sporting story. Pretty bloody sad, eh?

AR

A number of years ago I (on behalf of the ACF) approached the Australian Sports Hall of Fame on the issue of whether they would accept C.J.S. Purdy as a nominee. Predictable response, "Chess isn't a sport".
But at least they were consistent (at the time), in that they refused nominations from Horse Racing on the grounds it was an "industry" and not a "sport".

pax
01-03-2005, 08:23 AM
How come that Pinoy hotshot Paragua hasn't officially got his GM title yet? He's got his norms and is sitting pretty at 2586 (highest rated IM), but appears not to have applied for the title yet (according to FIDE website).

Rincewind
01-03-2005, 08:25 AM
How come that Pinoy hotshot Paragua hasn't officially got his GM title yet? He's got his norms and is sitting pretty at 2586 (highest rated IM), but appears not to have applied for the title yet (according to FIDE website).

Has the national assoc. paid their dues?

arosar
11-03-2005, 12:04 PM
What the . . .

Today's edition is hilarious! How about that hopia incident eh?

AR

arosar
15-04-2005, 10:11 AM
Hi all -

For those of you who are well educated and cultured because you read Business World and other RP chess matters, I am sad to say that the bworld.com.ph website has changed format. You now need to register and download a PDF form of the newspaper. The upside, so far anyway, is that subscription is FREE!

In today's issue, Bobby Ang - who is a genius of a columnist, talks about Paragua. This young IM is now rated 2596 (FIDE), the highest rated IM in the world. Why those idiots at FIDE simply doesn't give him the GM title is beyond most sane people. Well, at least in some countries they actually get to earn their title rather than having them handed out on a silver platter like in this part of the world.

Bobby also mentions GM Antonio's decline in rating. This is attributed to Antonio's poor performance in Montreal where the bad weather severely affected the grandmaster's play. Antonio finished second to last in that tournament. And there was that 2002 Shenzen tournament where GM Antonio scored a miserable 3/11. Bobby writes, "I had occassion to ask GM Joey about the cause of the disaster a few years ago and his immediate answer was "ghosts" (!!!). He could not sleep properly in the room provided for him by the organisers and his nape hairs kept rising with the feeling that there were some other entities in there with him. There was no reason to doubt his statement - the fear in GM Joey's eyes was real. In fact, this incident continues to haunt him until now - he still cannot sleep in a darkened room by himself".

AR

antichrist
15-04-2005, 06:25 PM
Wel there are plenty of beautiful birds over there he could take with him. But remember once a King always a king but once a knight is enough

Ian_Rogers
16-04-2005, 02:46 PM
Hi Amiel,

There are many reasons why a title application could be put on hold. For example, I think FIDE is investigating whether any norms made in Alushta (Ukraine) should be allowed. There's been a growing suspicion that the tournaments are organised to help chosen people get norms - Guardian columnist Leonard Barden raised questions about this some years ago when Lahno scored a norm there with at leats one win that simply repeated another game.

Anyway the FIDE Titles Commission have the power to withhold titles if they think they are dodgy - although their record indicates that they almost always say "not enough proof of corruption" and award the titles anyway. (As far as I know, only twice has FIDE taken away GM titles once they discovered that at least one of the norms was corrupt.)

This may or may not be affecting Paragua, as I don't know Paragua's exact situation and how many (if any) of his GM norms were scored in Alushta. It could just be that the 'wrong' Filipino Chess Federation applied for his title.

In any case, the Alushta tournaments have been rated, so, for example, if Paragua had played there he may have gained rating from a 'norm' which FIDE are not preprared to consider valid for a title.

Ian

pax
16-04-2005, 03:09 PM
I don't think Paragua has anything to worry about. With a rating of nearly 2600, he will obviously get the title legitimately pretty soon.

arosar
27-06-2005, 04:39 PM
Hi all -

I am happy to inform you that Bobby Ang's Chess Piece is now available in HTML. Just go to the "Indonesian Indo Chess" (http://www.indochess.com/index.php) site. of course, the column is in English.

Now you no longer have to download some PDF file! Enjoy.

AR

arosar
04-07-2005, 10:51 AM
Who is Asia's first Grandmaster? Was it E. Torre?

Part I (http://www.indochess.com/news_maint_public.php?news_id=677)

Part II (http://www.indochess.com/news_maint_public.php?news_id=689)

In today's issue, Bobby gives us a few hints of some funny goings on in my beloved Philippines and also features a game won by Darwin Laylo over Alexander Motylev at the HB Global CC tournament in Minneapolis. This is available on the Business World site as a PDF. It should soon be on the Indochess site in HTML.

AR

arosar
07-07-2005, 06:17 AM
A couple of years ago, Bobby Ang wrote a fantastic profile on Balinas. I have since lost the file.

Please make do with this for now:

http://members.lycos.co.uk/csarchive/balinas.htm

AR

auriga
07-07-2005, 08:31 AM
Who is Asia's first Grandmaster? Was it E. Torre?

Part I (http://www.indochess.com/news_maint_public.php?news_id=677)

Part II (http://www.indochess.com/news_maint_public.php?news_id=689)

In today's issue, Bobby gives us a few hints of some funny goings on in my beloved Philippines and also features a game won by Darwin Laylo over Alexander Motylev at the HB Global CC tournament in Minneapolis. This is available on the Business World site as a PDF. It should soon be on the Indochess site in HTML.

AR

interesting articles.
ang's report on the hb global event in the us is also interesting.
(like how he calls one of the players' performance a disgrace :D)
http://www.indochess.com/news_maint_public.php?news_id=671
some of the pinoys won US$20,000 ($1M pesos!) in those tournaments!

arosar
10-07-2005, 12:23 PM
GM Rogers -

Your column in the Sun Herald today is causing a national excitement. A welcome rest from our usual obsession over politics and wether another revolution is a-coming. Btw, one of our compatriots is also doing well in the World Pool Championships!

Anyway GM Rogers, pls see your PM as my beloved nation has a special favour to ask of you.

AR

antichrist
10-07-2005, 06:25 PM
AR, about when you were still in shorts your mob used to do very well in 10 pin bowling.

Supposed to be a top show on at the Enmore called something like Up Lebanon, arrange with Nick for a group, you may need him to translate some of it.

Bill Gletsos
21-07-2005, 03:53 PM
So Amiel, care to explain what you know as to what is holding up Paragua receiving the GM title.

arosar
21-07-2005, 04:04 PM
You should see Jesse Sales explain it. Hilarious!

AR

Bill Gletsos
21-07-2005, 04:08 PM
You should see Jesse Sales explain it. Hilarious!Well you can no doubt explain it for those on the board unlikely to hear it directly from Jesse.

arosar
25-07-2005, 12:14 AM
Paragua finds himself in this story.

http://chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=2532

AR

Ian Rout
25-07-2005, 03:36 PM
Paragua finds himself in this story.

http://chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=2532

AR

So who (and why) are the "opponents of the Filipino player Mark Paragua"?

arosar
25-07-2005, 04:41 PM
They're probably talking about Campo and his mates. Who those mates are, I wouldn't know. But I ask you, how come Paragua can win all these "strong" tourneys in Europe but can't manage the same success in RP? Jesse Sales has a particularly theatrical way of explaining all of this.

AR

Oepty
25-07-2005, 06:09 PM
Amiel. Do you believe Paragua GM norms are all above board and he should be a GM?
Scott

arosar
25-07-2005, 07:36 PM
Amiel. Do you believe Paragua GM norms are all above board and he should be a GM?
Scott

I don't know enough to believe one way or the other.

AR

arosar
25-07-2005, 07:36 PM
Look out for next Friday's Chess Piece by Bobby Ang. There is a special article on Jesse Sales.

AR

arosar
29-07-2005, 08:36 AM
The world famous Closet Grandmaster gets a mention in the equally world famous Chess Piece column. Download the pdf from the www.bworld.com.ph site. It's FREE.

Today's column covers Jesse Sales' achievements here recently.

AR

arosar
30-08-2005, 01:13 PM
Woohoo!!! Paragua now a GM!

http://closetgrandmaster.blogspot.com/

AR

antichrist
12-05-2008, 11:27 AM
With Master So now a GM the Pinoy team can finally take off the sign "Will suck sav for Australia"

antichrist
12-05-2008, 11:37 AM
The Pinoy who won the Sydney Easter Comp, does anyone know anything about him? He finished ahead of Johnny Bolens.

Brian_Jones
12-05-2008, 12:34 PM
The Pinoy who won the Sydney Easter Comp, does anyone know anything about him? He finished ahead of Johnny Bolens.

That would be Homer Cunanan I presume, or was it his nephew Homel Aristocle Cunanan who won the SEC?