PDA

View Full Version : Poker Chessbase Equivalent

mechturk
22-11-2006, 03:17 PM
I started playing poker not so long ago, mainly online fixed limit hold 'em. I'm most of the way to memorizing a pre-flop system, but recently I've begun to discover how bad my post-flop play is. With the quick pace of play in online poker rooms, there isn't sufficient time to think about the correct play during, and even after the hand. This makes it hard to pick up on exactly where mistakes are happening.

The only solution I can think of is running through hand-histories with a fine tooth comb. I'm guessing that a poker database program would make this somewhat easier. I know that there are a few out there, but was just wondering if anyone knew of a good free one ALA Scid, or a defacto standard ALA Chessbase.

Cheers,

Dennis.

Gattaca
22-11-2006, 04:06 PM
Hi Dennis.

I'm not sure about databases for poker play, but I do have an alternative suggestion for gradually plugging any leaks in your play.

Play on any of the sites that let you download your hand history and then get one of the experts on the Two Plus Two forum to dissect your play.

http://www.twoplustwo.com/

I've seen many players submit their hand histories for discussion there and the dialogue can be very enlightening. You may have to put up with having some decisions exposed as very amateurish, but that's what you are trying to root out, presumably.

I'm also happy to swap poker books on loan with anyone in the Melbourne chess scene, to save us money on having to buy them all.

There is a small group of Melbourne chessplayers who have formed a 'crew' that analyse and play together. We have the occasional study session where one of us prepares a small lecture, quiz or lesson about some facet of the game. You're a pretty serious player and would be welcome.

We have also toyed with the idea of organising satellite tournaments amongst ourselves before events with expensive buy ins, with the winner representing all of us in the expensive event. So for example if we wanted a seat in the Aussie Millions $1,100 buy in event we could organise an 11 player satellite costing $100 each and the winner plays a seat in the $1,100 event. Our winning rep gets something like 14% of the action in that event, plus the glory and experience, 2nd place in our satellite gets 12% and 3rd place gets 10%. The rest all retain 8% of the action, so their $100 has not gone down the gurgler either and they get to barrack for someone they have a fiscal interest in.

mechturk
22-11-2006, 06:04 PM
Thanks Gattaca! :)

The twoplustwo forum sounds like an excellent idea. Does it cost anything to join or get experts to analyze your hands?

Regarding books, at the moment I've got two by Sklansky - Hold 'em Poker for Advanced Players and Small Stakes Hold 'em - both of which I've read cover to cover, and reread often.

At my level, I find the latter book to be the more useful of the two. Firstly, on a full table, most of the games I play are loose to typical, so a lot of the advice in the former book dealing with tight games simply doesn't apply. Secondly, Small Stakes Hold 'em has better coverage of post-flop play, basic things like counting outs, evaluating the flop and protecting made hands that I've been slowly integrating into my play.

If you or anyone else is interested in a loan-swap, I'm happy to lend out both of the above books in return for any book on no limit hold 'em or tournament play. Although I suspect that at this stage I'd improve faster sticking with just one type of game (FL hold 'em) and slowly increasing my limit level, there just don't seem to be enough low fixed limit tournaments around to make this viable.

The 'crew' sounds interesting too. I'm sure it'd be great fun mingling with poker-minded chess players (or is that chess-minded poker players?). Let me know where and when everyone plans to meet next and I'll pop on over.

Cheers,

Dennis.

Gattaca
23-11-2006, 01:22 AM
I'll PM you the next time we schedule a poker get together.

firegoat7
24-11-2006, 09:48 AM
I'm guessing that a poker database program would make this somewhat easier.

Dennis.

Hi Dennis,

I use a program called poker tracker. You can download a free demo from here....http://www.pokertracker.com/
I think it is an amazing program, well worth spending $50 bucks on to upgrade.

cheers Fg7

Brian_Jones
24-11-2006, 10:01 AM
Books and DVDs also available locally at http://www.gamesaustralia.com.au/index.cfm

Sutek
24-11-2006, 10:14 AM
Hi Dennis,

I use a program called poker tracker. You can download a free demo from here....http://www.pokertracker.com/
I think it is an amazing program, well worth spending $50 bucks on to upgrade.

cheers Fg7

Another good program is PokerOffice
http://www.pokeroffice.com/index.html

mechturk
25-11-2006, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the suggestions all.

I've been trying out Poker Tracker, and have taken quite a liking to it. It integrates well with Pokerstars, and has a whole bundle of features that I wasn't expecting. There's more statistics than I can shake a stick at, and it's certainly enough information to make me shake my head. It'll be a while before I can graduate from nano-limit, methinks.

So I'm just playing... Increasing the reliability of the statistics, getting more experience, and just having fun.

See you round the poker room,

Dennis.

Kerry Stead
29-11-2006, 07:43 PM
I'm also happy to swap poker books on loan with anyone in the Melbourne chess scene, to save us money on having to buy them all.

There is a small group of Melbourne chessplayers who have formed a 'crew' that analyse and play together. We have the occasional study session where one of us prepares a small lecture, quiz or lesson about some facet of the game. You're a pretty serious player and would be welcome.

We have also toyed with the idea of organising satellite tournaments amongst ourselves before events with expensive buy ins, with the winner representing all of us in the expensive event. So for example if we wanted a seat in the Aussie Millions $1,100 buy in event we could organise an 11 player satellite costing $100 each and the winner plays a seat in the $1,100 event. Our winning rep gets something like 14% of the action in that event, plus the glory and experience, 2nd place in our satellite gets 12% and 3rd place gets 10%. The rest all retain 8% of the action, so their $100 has not gone down the gurgler either and they get to barrack for someone they have a fiscal interest in.

Sounds interesting Guy ... when's the next session??

mechturk
09-12-2006, 09:14 PM
This is a follow-up to the original topic.

I've been using Poker Tracker now for a couple of weeks, and in conjunction with the Poker Tracker Guide have found it to be quite a valuable resource. I've done some session reviews, plugged a few leaks and started doing a bit of player tracking. Thanks for the pointer, firegoat. :clap:

As a side note, I've also started to multi-table and appear to be beating the smallest nanolimit games ($0.02/$0.04).

Cheers,

Dennis.

Mr Tiger
03-01-2007, 06:43 PM
http://www.twoplustwo.com/
A very good site for calculating three way hand percentages.