PDA

View Full Version : Dorothy Dibley Shield?

jeffrei
08-04-2004, 06:57 PM
Does anyone know what the current status of the Dorothy Dibley Shield is? Is it being run this year? A while ago I heard a rumour that it was going to be run in real time over an internet chess server, which to me sounds like a definite improvement over the outdated 'telechess' system.

/jef

Oepty
08-04-2004, 07:22 PM
I asked Alan Goldsmith, who organises the SA team, about what was happening with it a couple of weeks ago and he said it was going to be run.
Scott

jenni
08-04-2004, 07:40 PM
Does anyone know what the current status of the Dorothy Dibley Shield is? Is it being run this year? A while ago I heard a rumour that it was going to be run in real time over an internet chess server, which to me sounds like a definite improvement over the outdated 'telechess' system.

/jef

The Dorothy Dibley ran last year on the internet. It was a fantastic improvement. Unfortunately WA only played one match and then found themselves unable to find a place with computers. Vic never got around to organising a match and Qld were also without a DD organiser last year, so it was a very depleted competition. However the response from ACT, NSW and SA was very enthusiastic about the new format.

I had heard a rumour that Chris Depasquale was organising Vic this year?

The ACT is currently without a DD organiser, but it is hoped that all states will participate this year.

Alan Shore
09-04-2004, 12:41 AM
Yes, last year the DD shield was run on Alan Goldsmith's 'ICON' chess server.. It's such a pity that the server is devoid of life now because I used to log on there for many years, made many friends and played some good chess. But it needs people to log on and stay on to thrive, just like a BB I guess.