PDA

View Full Version : Troubleshooting

Alan Shore
08-04-2004, 01:31 AM
Heya, was wondering if someone could help, my friend's computer keeps crashing during games like Warcraft 3 and Serious Sam.. the system stats are beyond the minimum required for those games so maybe it's a problem with temperature? It has 256mb ram, we first thought he needed more but I have a similar comp to his and I have no problems.. maybe it needs a new fan or something? Or could it be another problem?

skip to my lou
08-04-2004, 02:21 AM
Heya, was wondering if someone could help, my friend's computer keeps crashing during games like Warcraft 3 and Serious Sam.. the system stats are beyond the minimum required for those games so maybe it's a problem with temperature? It has 256mb ram, we first thought he needed more but I have a similar comp to his and I have no problems.. maybe it needs a new fan or something? Or could it be another problem?

Post full system specs

Alan Shore
08-04-2004, 02:36 AM
Athlon 1.7GHz, 256MB RAM, GeForce 4 MX video card, 40GB HD.

skip to my lou
08-04-2004, 02:47 AM
Athlon 1.7GHz, 256MB RAM, GeForce 4 MX video card, 40GB HD.

Yeah its probably heat

Alan Shore
08-04-2004, 02:52 AM
Yeah its probably heat

So what would be the best plan? New fan? Remove the casing? Any other options?

skip to my lou
08-04-2004, 11:55 AM
So what would be the best plan? New fan? Remove the casing? Any other options?

Open both sides of the case and get a big pedestal fan to blow into it (somehow), then run the game. If you are not having the problem anymore, then buy a new case from lian-li or thermaltake.

Rincewind
08-04-2004, 01:26 PM
Do you have an app which will let you monitor CPU temp?

If so run that while running a CPU intensive task like putting a chess engine on infinite think time and monitor the temp. If it's getting up over 55C you have a problem.

Running without the case might help. You should just need to take off the "normal side" (ie the side you would take off to put in PCI cards, etc) usually he left side as you face the front of the unit.

Another option is the Badong CPU Cooling Wizard. See my post in another thread. I have a very similar unit and was having resets due to CPU temperature and the Badong fixed them up.

Alan Shore
12-04-2004, 07:16 AM
Thanks guys. (I think it was getting up over 80 or something.. no wonder!).