PDA

View Full Version : Chess Books

Jae Chung
18-11-2006, 06:26 AM
Hi,

I haven't played chess in a while and would like to get back into the game. I would like to know if anyone in this forum could help me out and point out a few good books on chess. I am interested in the history, philosophies/theories, strategies/tactics, etc.

Thanks,
Jae H Chung

Southpaw Jim
18-11-2006, 08:32 AM
I recommend Learn Chess Tactics by Nunn, or Winning Chess Tactics by Seirawan to refresh your tactical knowledge.

General chess knowledge: Logical Chess Move by Move by Chernev I have heard is very good. Seirawan's Winning Chess Openings has a good chapter or 2 on opening principles, ie proper development, control of the centre etc.

Silman's How to Reassess Your Chess is also highly recommended, focusing on strategic concepts, or Nimzowitsch's My System for a slightly more advanced treatment of this stuff.

b1_
18-11-2006, 11:32 PM
Silman's How To Reassess Your Chess is the one to get if you only get one. Personally I found Seirawan's Winning Chess Strategies more enjoyable to read (same material as HTRYC) but Winning Chess Strategies doesn't have the Silman Thinking Technique, or how to devise a plan, so you simply must get HTRYC for that.

Then you'll need an endgame book like Seirawan's Winning Chess Endings, or the more comprehensive and excellent Fundamental Chess Ending by Muller & Lamprecht.

And finally a tactics book that has lots and lots of tactical problems.

MichaelBaron
19-11-2006, 10:22 AM
Silman's How To Reassess Your Chess is the one to get if you only get one. Personally I found Seirawan's Winning Chess Strategies more enjoyable to read (same material as HTRYC) but Winning Chess Strategies doesn't have the Silman Thinking Technique, or how to devise a plan, so you simply must get HTRYC for that.

Then you'll need an endgame book like Seirawan's Winning Chess Endings, or the more comprehensive and excellent Fundamental Chess Ending by Muller & Lamprecht.

And finally a tactics book that has lots and lots of tactical problems.

Sorry, I am not a great fan of Silman's books. If you want to learn about Planning and Strategies, consider Shereshevsky's books.

qpawn
28-11-2006, 08:51 AM
Mr Emanuel Lasker and Mr Gerald Abrahams have contacted me through the medium Jon Edwards. Emmy and Gerry are happy to offer many books at Chessworld.

:D

MichaelBaron
29-11-2006, 02:47 PM
My Blog now includes a list of my favorite chess books ;) .

By the way, who offers the best deals on chess books in Aus? Brian Jones? or Peter Parr? or is there some other book seller? Lets do a bit of price comparison;)

Kevin Bonham
29-11-2006, 05:22 PM
By the way, who offers the best deals on chess books in Aus? Brian Jones? or Peter Parr?

Some time back I needed a particular book and found that although the two had (a) different base prices (b) completely different ways to work out postage, it nonetheless happened that one of them was cheaper than the other by ...

*drumroll*

ten cents!

Steve K
29-11-2006, 06:57 PM
Some time back I needed a particular book and found that although the two had (a) different base prices (b) completely different ways to work out postage, it nonetheless happened that one of them was cheaper than the other by ...

*drumroll*

ten cents!

We need to refer this to Graham Samuels