PDA

View Full Version : Greatest chess achievement?

Alan Shore
06-04-2004, 11:16 PM
Everyone, what is your greatest personal chess achievement? (playing, administrating, posting on the BB, whatever it may be!)

And if you wish to share, perhaps your greatest achievement outside chess?

skip to my lou
06-04-2004, 11:20 PM
Everyone, what is your greatest personal chess achievement? (playing, administrating, posting on the BB, whatever it may be!)

chess: This site, probably. *shrug*

outside: MCP Age 14/15

how about yourself?

Trent Parker
06-04-2004, 11:48 PM
My greatest chess achievements: my 6/11 in Australian minor 2003. And, defeating John Paul Wallace in a simul at the local chess club. He shoulld have won but did not realise that he had left his queen en prise!!!

Garvinator
07-04-2004, 11:15 AM
clearly not many people have any achievements bruce ;)

Alan Shore
07-04-2004, 11:37 AM
clearly not many people have any achievements bruce ;)

I'm sure they do.. don't be shy people!

I'll give mine.. would have to be beating IM David Smerdon at the Glenelg tournament last December.

If you count variants, I achieved the #1 rank on FICS for 'losers chess'. And I'd add beating Igor Bjoelbrk in OTB Transfer, since he's been #1 on FICS for Bughouse.

How about you Mr Gray, I'm sure there's something you've done in chess to be proud of.

Garvinator
07-04-2004, 11:48 AM
I'm sure they do.. don't be shy people!

I'll give mine.. would have to be beating IM David Smerdon at the Glenelg tournament last December.

If you count variants, I achieved the #1 rank on FICS for 'losers chess'. And I'd add beating Igor Bjoelbrk in OTB Transfer, since he's been #1 on FICS for Bughouse.

How about you Mr Gray, I'm sure there's something you've done in chess to be proud of.

nope nothing :lol: umm getting a player into the australian championships, assisting in the current grand prix, holding tassie to a draw for qld in the interstate teams challenge all by myself.

not much else at this stage hehe, but that could change soon :lol: ;)

PHAT
07-04-2004, 04:29 PM
This thread might go better on a USA site. It is unaustralian to brag.

Rincewind
07-04-2004, 04:42 PM

Except, of course, to brag about how modest we all are. ;)

JGB
07-04-2004, 06:55 PM
im pretty happy to be getting my ELO. should be about 2000 in the next FIDE update. I played against 9 elo rated players at Bad Wörishofen and played ok.

Alan Shore
08-04-2004, 12:15 AM

One may find it inspiring to hear of the great exploits of others Matthew, bragging was not the intention. That's why I waited to hear from others before I posted mine.

skip to my lou
08-04-2004, 12:18 AM
One may find it inspiring to hear of the great exploits of others Matthew, bragging was not the intention. That's why I waited to hear from others before I posted mine.

My intention wasn't to brag either.

This site, has input from so many people that I cant really call it my work anymore. But I created it so :owned:

Kevin Bonham
08-04-2004, 01:34 AM

Greatest so far was winning my first state title in 2001. Not the fact that I won it, which was overdue, but the way it happened. I lost in round 3 - had a half open KR file and the opponent castled kingside into it and got enough play in the centre to stop me attacking, pretty bold stuff - so I was a point off the pace, but I came back to win on 6.5/8 by a full point. I was on the edge so many times - should have lost round 4 but swindled, should have lost round 6 but drew, was two pawns up in round 7, lost them both and then my opponent blundered; even my round 8 game was very streaky and I could have lost that too. Somehow it just kept holding together. I actually value this one more than the 6/6 I got the following year, because the field the next year was relatively weak.

I rather wish my best acheivement had been a game but I've never played one I was completely happy with (except for my part in the spectacular NZS-Tas draw in the internet challenge). Even my most blazing victories always seem to have one little chance for the other guy somewhere.

Really hard to say since I have many different interests and it's so difficult to compare them all. The most enduring one will probably be all the new species (mostly snails) I've discovered or recognised. However other things have been more satisfying at the time.

weadley
21-05-2004, 01:30 AM
HI according to the tones of all the posts on all the boards here Im just a stupid American.

Therefore I have no achievements that interest you all.

Thanks for your time.

Ps. If you ask nicely I will share what I think my best achievement in chess is so far.

Alan Shore
21-05-2004, 02:18 AM
HI according to the tones of all the posts on all the boards here Im just a stupid American.

Therefore I have no achievements that interest you all.

Thanks for your time.

Ps. If you ask nicely I will share what I think my best achievement in chess is so far.

Simply because we disagree regarding views on foreign policy is no personal affront to you and should not be taken that way, I have no problem with you as a person. Post if you wish...

antichrist
21-05-2004, 05:57 PM
In chess playing probably my great wins and draws in social games against highly rated players, even champions. 30 years ago exactly.

In organising the 2002 Sydney Easter Cup which almost 60 attended and more players rated over 2000 than state championships held after that although that comp was heavily subsidised ($1500 by NSWCA) and no competition from Doberl.

In politics outrageous protests many times getting national TV and newspaper coverage.

jenni
24-05-2004, 10:16 AM
Ok - I can't resist bragging. I came 3rd in the Women's and Girls championships. This was mainly due to the fact that all the girls I played looked at me and because I was threee times their size (in width if not in height), decided I was a good chess player and let me win. I did have one good game against Kayleigh Smith. She was winning, but let me play a tactic that won her queen. (all those puzzles that Tamzin and I do together, must finally be having some effect!) I did try to give away my trophy to one of the other girls on the same score group as me, but wasn't allowed to. I am now a mixture of pride (first trophy I have ever won in my whole life time, let alone my chess career), and guilt for beating up little kids.

PHAT
24-05-2004, 07:17 PM
I am now a mixture of pride (first trophy I have ever won in my whole life time, let alone my chess career), and guilt for beating up little kids.

:clap: First trophy. Good on you. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks. :D

eclectic
27-05-2004, 04:09 PM
I'll tender making it to 100 posts on the bulletin board and going from CK Rookie to CK Candidate Master as my greatest chess achievement thus far.

I'm not sure if I should design a new avatar to celebrate the occasion.

:hmm: :lol:

eclectic

ursogr8
27-05-2004, 06:01 PM
I'll tender making it to 100 posts on the bulletin board and going from CK Rookie to CK Candidate Master as my greatest chess achievement thus far.

I'm not sure if I should design a new avatar to celebrate the occasion.

:hmm: :lol:

eclectic

100 posts.
Well done.
What about celebrating the occasion by selecting your best 3 and invite us to vote on the subset. :cool:

Bill Gletsos
27-05-2004, 06:15 PM
vote on the subset. :cool:
Lets not. :whistle:

eclectic
28-05-2004, 07:28 AM
100 posts.
Well done.
What about celebrating the occasion by selecting your best 3 and invite us to vote on the subset. :cool:

Lets not. :whistle:

There's sure to be a "Best Post of 2004" poll early next year.

If I have any good posts at all I'm sure they will see the light of day there.

Actually, I don't really like the idea of self nomination in such polls so someone else would have to think them good enough to nominate.

thanks starter,
:cool:
thanks Bill
:whistle:

(cheers)
eclectic

Alan Shore
28-05-2004, 07:57 AM
There's sure to be a "Best Post of 2004" poll early next year.

Considering the farce the previous 'Best Post' comp generated I think it's a little early to bring back bad memories..

P.S. Nice century ecelctic, only 3000 more to catch Bill :p

Garvinator
28-05-2004, 09:30 AM
Considering the farce the previous 'Best Post' comp generated I think it's a little early to bring back bad memories..

P.S. Nice century ecelctic, only 3000 more to catch Bill :p
actually bruce, if self nomination and self voting was not allowed, there would have been far less probs.

Alan Shore
28-05-2004, 05:16 PM
actually bruce, if self nomination and self voting was not allowed, there would have been far less probs.

That's true.. it's why I'd support stipulation not to have self-nomination and self-voting.